Lafleur and McVay would argue in meetings - lafleur would challenge him often.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Heard that twice today including brought up in McVays presser - I think he misses that to be honest.

HellRam

Starter
We definitely miss Lafleur. He's tooken concepts of McVay's offense and really expanded on it. Matt also still uses some of the west coast and spread concepts that were there in GB prior to him being hired. Lafleur has really built a great offense for the Packers and Rodgers.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never understood the hype with LaFleur.
The offense was better in 2018 after he was gone, they scored 3 ppg more than 2017.
Meanwhile, he went to Tennessee and their offense got worse, they went from 19th in scoring (21 ppg) to 27th (19.4 ppg).
Then he goes to Green Bay, Tennessee goes from 27th in scoring under LaF to 10th (25.1 ppg).
Green Bay was a train wreck in 2018, McCarthy gets fired, Filben takes over and they finish 14th in scoring at 23.5 ppg. Lafleur takes over in 2019, and they finish with the same 23.5 ppg, but fall to 15th
This year, Rodgers does his thing and they're scoring like mad.. I dont see Laf being the difference though

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
my point really isn't about if lafleur is a good coach or not....

my point is they were close and lafleur would tell mcvay if he was full of shit or wrong - and mcvay might not have that anymore.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Also the point being, maybe loud disagreement or “friction” between teammates and/or coaches is commonplace (even though they try to keep those disagreements in house, and not in public).

Maybe it means the reporting of “friction” between Goff and McVay is both accurate AND not that big of a deal?

I mean... step forward and raise your hand if you NEVER have significant arguments with your spouse or close family, from time to time?

YEAH, I THOUGHT SO :LOL::biggrin:

TexasRam

Legend
It's all about Oline and surrounding talent.

Aaron Rodgers last 5 years QB rating was under 100 and lower than Goffs for two straight years. This is even with Lafleur.

They drafted a first round QB to replace him thinking he was probably done.

Ask yourself why his rating suddenly rose to 121 this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think a subordinate openly arguing, defying their leader, is ever a good look. And in the case of McVay and LaFleur, I dont see how that would have been motivating to the players. McVay says they're great friends, and that LaF is like a big brother. That's the problem, Mac had enough mountains to climb as the youngest HC in history, and surely wouldnt benefit from his "older brother" (Who's 6 or 7 years older) defying him.
Makes sense why he was allowed to take a lateral move after 1 season.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I dont think a subordinate openly arguing, defying their leader, is ever a good look. And in the case of McVay and LaFleur, I dont see how that would have been motivating to the players. McVay says they're great friends, and that LaF is like a big brother. That's the problem, Mac had enough mountains to climb as the youngest HC in history, and surely wouldnt benefit from his "older brother" (Who's 6 or 7 years older) defying him.

Who said they ever did it in front of players?
As a business owner some of our companies great achievements is because someone challenged me and disagreed w me. A successful business is never about being the smartest guy in the room but about collaboration. Sounds like Lefuart gave mcvay a run for his money. Good for him.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Who said they ever did it in front of players?
As a business owner some of our companies great achievements is because someone challenged me and disagreed w me. A successful business is never about being the smartest guy in the room but about collaboration. Sounds like Lefuart gave mcvay a run for his money. Good for him.
Exactly right. You don’t want to surround yourself with ‘yes’ men. Some peoples ( owners or bosses) won’t allow them to let someone they pay to do what’s right disagree with them.

Ellard80

Legend

You are not really seeing the point - we are talking about coaches meetings for one, not coaches arguing in front of players.

Coaches arguing with each other in meetings is likely a daily occurence on some level on every nfl team.

Shit when i coached high school footbal I've seen some coaches go at each other... I've seen acutal physical altercations.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are not really seeing the point - we are talking about coaches meetings for one, not coaches arguing in front of players.

Coaches arguing with each other in meetings is likely a daily occurence on some level on every nfl team.

Shit when i coached high school footbal I've seen some coaches go at each other... I've seen acutal physical altercations.
With the head coach? I dont believe that for 1 second.

Packfan18

Rookie
The only day I don’t like the Rams is Saturday but every other day we like you guys and have a great deal of respect for you all.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I dont think a subordinate openly arguing, defying their leader, is ever a good look. And in the case of McVay and LaFleur, I dont see how that would have been motivating to the players.
Are you thinking they argued in front of players?

I am thinking that in coaches meetings ... maybe just meetings between the two of them (or including 2017 QB coach Greg Olson) they disagreed and argued; and that would not have any impact on players.

In fact, just the opposite. Heck, in 2017 Greg Olson would have been the most experienced guy in those meetings.

First time HC, first time OC trying to develop a 2nd year QB and improve the lowest scoring offense from the prior season. I’m thinking there would have been a ton of discussions ... and a few arguments ... between the top 2 or 3 offensive minds.

Packfan18

Rookie
Are you thinking they argued in front of players?

I am thinking that in coaches meetings ... maybe just meetings between the two of them (or including 2017 QB coach Greg Olson) they disagreed and argued; and that would not have any impact on players.

In fact, just the opposite. Heck, in 2017 Greg Olson would have been the most experienced guy in those meetings.

First time HC, first time OC trying to develop a 2nd year QB and improve the lowest scoring offense from the prior season. I’m thinking there would have been a ton of discussions ... and a few arguments ... between the top 2 or 3 offensive minds.
I think all is good, just the media trying to cause them not to get along. You guys have a great coach over there. He’s put you back on the map as far as being contenders. He took you to the Super Bowl already.

Ellard80

Legend
With the head coach? I dont believe that for 1 second.
lol wow man you are a smart guy.

But that is so clueless... im really suprised.

You think assistant coaches dont argue with the head coach?

You really believe that?

Despite the fact that its commonplace in most levels of coaching - in the nfl its probably the most commonplace. These guys they hire are often close and their friends.

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
They drafted a first round QB to replace him thinking he was probably done.

Ask yourself why his rating suddenly rose to 121 this year.
i have been wanting some competition for goff not because i dislike goff but i think him being sure of the starting position does not bring out his best.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
my point really isn't about if lafleur is a good coach or not....

my point is they were close and lafleur would tell mcvay if he was full of shit or wrong - and mcvay might not have that anymore.
I suppose - but the fact is we didn't know the arguing was going on at the time, and we also don't know that it isn't now.

Ellard80

Legend
I suppose - but the fact is we didn't know the arguing was going on at the time, and we also don't know that it isn't now.

true we don't know that it isn't now - nor do we know if lafleur challenging mcvay made any measurable difference.

But it's something to consider.

Last edited: