LA Rams 2022 rookie class: Projecting the roster battles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Everett was TE #2, behind Higbee.
JJ3 started because Rapp was hurt in camp.
I don’t believe any of the other guys started opening day.

Edwards is a good example of coming in after the season starts and stays on the field.

Scott has always got some snaps on D, but he might finally get his shot to start.

I agree with the general thoughts behind your post, in that, rookies on this team generally don't come in to compete right away but I think some of your timeline was off.

JJ3, I think, took over when Mo Alexander was benched, no? Way back in 2016/2017. It was Fuller I think who started in place of Rapp due to his injury in TC.

Outside of Bruss, I think any of these guys earning a starting spot is gravy this year but shouldn't be expected. A lot of these guys though will definitely have chances to play meaningful snaps as backups/reserves this season for sure.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I’ll beg to differ ?

Tavon Austin was still signed to a big contract & Mcvay wanted it to work out. He used him all over the field & The Rams ran that Jet Sweep a lot.He was used as a RB sometimes as well.

The Rams signed a guy right after Andrew Whitworth. His name was Bobby Tree’s who just got traded a few months ago.He was an excellent
Veteran mentor who Cooper Kupp was mentored by.

Then The Rams traded a future 2nd rd pick for a guy named Sammy Watkins who was The Rams deep threat & sort of the #1 wr?

Cooper Kupp could play all WR spots & led The Rams in receiving yards.He was 2nd in catches behind TG31

JJ3 ? What about JJ43 again ?
Tru got signed to that 2nd franchise year. The Rams brought in Webster & Robey-Coleman. -Traded EJ Gaines w/ 2nd rd pick for Sammy.

Mo Alexander got released after starting the first 5 games. Was a weird out of the blue move ? Enter JJ43 at SS.

Samsome Ebukham entered into The Rams starting lineup. Conner Barwin got hurt ? Either way The Rams could have had George Kittle instead.Now the 9ers have both players.

Reynolds came up with a couple big catches his rookie year as well.The Saints home game was a huge win beating Brees.???

Funny thing is it’s not the starters early is it is the development of players late.Mcvay gives players the opportunity to compete.

DJ1 is a perfect example of say a Ben Sko being able to make some nice catches as a 7th rd pick in the SuperBowl.

What happens with Hopkins is another,but In training camp those skill sets in Blanton & Sko were shinning early. Hopkins imo needed to be cut because he didn’t want to be there.

. B. Hopkins will have a new beginning,especially with Phillips gone.Thomas Brown will be a nice addition.

Actually, I don’t think we’re disagreeing here—except maybe the timing of when the Rams acquired watkins and Woods.

The Rams just don’t put that kind of pressure on rookies to start right away or heavily contribute. If they can, great; but as we pointed out, it is rare to see a rookie starting opening day.

When a player is ready, the guy in front of him can be quickly jettisoned like alexander and the LB we traded to denver.

This is a luxury most teams don’t have. Our FO is pretty smart.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I agree with the general thoughts behind your post, in that, rookies on this team generally don't come in to compete right away but I think some of your timeline was off.

JJ3, I think, took over when Mo Alexander was benched, no? Way back in 2016/2017. It was Fuller I think who started in place of Rapp due to his injury in TC.

Outside of Bruss, I think any of these guys earning a starting spot is gravy this year but shouldn't be expected. A lot of these guys though will definitely have chances to play meaningful snaps as backups/reserves this season for sure.

Yes, my timing of the alexander/jj3 exchange was off.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Actually, I don’t think we’re disagreeing here—except maybe the timing of when the Rams acquired watkins and Woods.

The Rams just don’t put that kind of pressure on rookies to start right away or heavily contribute. If they can, great; but as we pointed out, it is rare to see a rookie starting opening day.

When a player is ready, the guy in front of him can be quickly jettisoned like alexander and the LB we traded to denver.

This is a luxury most teams don’t have. Our FO is pretty smart.

We’ll just listened to Les Snead in the draft video 2022. It was something like controlled chaos.

He talks about signing udrfa’s.The Rams do a good job at that but there is a lot to do there to fill holes with players who The Rams think will help.

Yes - I agree with you,but was trying to find those certain players. Les Snead actually came up Imo a perfect example.
- Of course I could go on about it,but will just say I have to of my favorites that won’t be Rams next season that fit a bill of examples.

Les Snead uses Troy Reeder as an example as a udrfa.

I’ll use SJD69 as my example of draft picks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In The Rams 2018 draft is an example of how sometimes(ways) The Rams draft.It seems like they have refined things better.At least have more depth as an organization.

IMO - The Rams needed depth at DL & OLine in 2018. I also think Les Snead was more like throwing more darts than needed ?

Then again SJD69 sort of makes the point why ? Never understood why The Rams kept DT Smart from Fishers draft.

John Franklin Myers was a player that The Rams gave up on to early ? Did they just cut him ? Trevon Young.

The 2018 draft and theory of Sean Mcvay I’ll never understand.He (Snead as well)learned from it.My guess is just building a team early.

Anyway I could talk about this all day.
I lost part of this post so not on point much.

My example though of knowing a little from being a Rams Fan & going to another training camp. I’m going to have to follow SD Chargers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brewer is going to be somewhere in the mix as well.

Anchrum is still only 23 going into his 3rd season.Is short for a Tackle.I think he is a very mature player especially for his age.He still has 2 years left on his contract,so he should continue to be that swing guy on the Right Side.

AJ Arcuri is 24 going into his rookie season just to state Anchrum’s upside still as such a young player.
Not sure about this So Ram.......

The 25 yr old over 6-6/320 plus pound Brewer has only a one-yr contract at this time. That tells me something. Brewer would be a very tall OG. Brewer is a full-size walking man & should be @ his peak! I never saw mush mobility in Brewer to be what Carberry needs @ RG.

Brewer in his rookie season (2019) looked very good in TC & preseason as he was being worked in four posts but mostly on the OT posts. Brewer was good enough to be active for 7 games & got 22 snaps with the offense. Not sure where those snaps took place though but the Rams were without OT's Noteboom & Havenstein for a good amount of time. Brewer was versatile back in 2019.

As you know he took the 2020 season off. When I observed him in the 2021 preseason he was not the same. The fact is .... Brewer played badly, all the rookies looked better IMO.

Maybe others who were able to attend & visit the TC permitted events could add more on this but unless Brewer has really dedicated himself to a specific OG position after spending all of the 2021 season on the PS he just does not look to bring to the table on this OL roster something that's not already there & offers do seem to have more potential.

Brewer was a starting RG in college. This Ram team needs OG's. I would hope that Brewer could be a strong competing OG to this team, not just another versatile OT. Kromer used him mainly @ OT in 2019 and Carberry did mostly the same.

Carberry has potentially much better talents @ OT now in Alaric Jackson & Treymanye Anchrum & even potentially Sneads recently drafted RT AJ Arcuri. What does Carberry have @ OG ? See the point?

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

The 25 yr old over 6-6/320 plus pound Brewer has only a one-yr contract at this time. That tells me something. Brewer would be a very tall OG. Brewer is a full-size walking man & should be @ his peak! I never saw mush mobility in Brewer to be what Carberry needs @ RG.

Brewer in his rookie season (2019) looked very good in TC & preseason as he was being worked in four posts but mostly on the OT posts. Brewer was good enough to be active for 7 games & got 22 snaps with the offense. Not sure where those snaps took place though but the Rams were without OT's Noteboom & Havenstein for a good amount of time. Brewer was versatile back in 2019.

As you know he took the 2020 season off. When I observed him in the 2021 preseason he was not the same. The fact is .... Brewer played badly, all the rookies looked better IMO.

Maybe others who were able to attend & visit the TC permitted events could add more on this but unless Brewer has really dedicated himself to a specific OG position after spending all of the 2021 season on the PS he just does not look to bring to the table on this OL roster something that's not already there & offers do seem to have more potential.

Brewer was a starting RG in college. This Ram team needs OG's. I would hope that Brewer could be a strong competing OG to this team, not just another versatile OT. Kromer used him mainly @ OT in 2019 and Carberry did mostly the same.

Carberry has potentially much better talents @ OT now in Alaric Jackson & Treymanye Anchrum & even potentially Sneads recently drafted RT AJ Arcuri. What does Carberry have @ OG ? See the point?

Bonifay’d I’ll check it out quickly to take a glance at a couple photos.

In my mind & from all your posting I don’t why you’d question him playing RG if what you say about him at RG in college? To talk ?

I trust in you being right about his regression.I know you were high on him back in 2019.Yes AJ Jackson seems to have controlled that backup LT spot since signing as a UDRFA.He was probably the top UDRFA in 2021 ?

Brewer I believe was playing LG as a backup.HE was a practice squad guy so he has been already on the outside looking in.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Reflecting back early in training camp
there was a lot of name changes. The roster changed a lot after the preseason & first few weeks in camp.

Juju was a nice SS talent.

Demby was 2nd string RG?
Evans was starting RG ??
Brewer was 2nd LG ?
Those were some of the rotations.Allen was backup C.

Justin Lawler was starting/2nd LOLB
Floyd of course was that starter.

Kiser & Kenny Young were in a rotation.Howard & Reeder.Then Ernest Jones was getting reps.

The thing about training camp rotations are always changing from practice to practice.It’s more the live stuff or Red Zone that you start to see who is who.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay said they need a starter at RG which demonstrates what they think of the depth there. So Bruss is almost sure to start. He will get all the snaps and focus just a matter of him mentally being ready.

Durant there simply is no corner on this roster with his juice plus his ball skills. That ensures he will get every opportunity to start in the slot or boundary. Rams will not hold him back for marginal options. Once he has the scheme down he will play. Worst case is he wins the slot or boundary job in season.

Williams isn't good enough to jump Akers if Akers fully returns to who he was. But if he is not the same guy that would open up the top job. Williams is good enough, however, to jump Hendy and I expect that. And from there Akers won't want to miss any time with that dude behind him. Backup RB just got upgraded basically.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay’d I’ll check it out quickly to take a glance at a couple photos.

In my mind & from all your posting I don’t why you’d question him playing RG if what you say about him at RG in college? To talk ?

I trust in you being right about his regression.I know you were high on him back in 2019.Yes AJ Jackson seems to have controlled that backup LT spot since signing as a UDRFA.He was probably the top UDRFA in 2021 ?

Brewer I believe was playing LG as a backup.HE was a practice squad guy so he has been already on the outside looking in.
Question? Because Brewer was seldom ever utilized in the right OG position by both Rams OL coaches. Talk? Of course, I enjoy having detailed conversations on Ol'ers. Yes, Brewer was UDFA in 2019. His best NFL position {IMO} may very well be the LG position.

Hopefully, the Bobby Evans experiment @ OG is DEAD & he will no longer be listed as an OG & permanently cemented as a prospective MR53 Swing OT.

Rams have 8 OT's on the roster if they exclude Brewer & let him fight in those LG/RG posts. You advise me & tell me .....besides Edwards & Bruss who would be a solid OG prospect?

ESPN Mel Kiper's ranking: No. 12 guard, No. 277 overall prospect

1652980482461.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Question? Because Brewer was seldom ever utilized in the right OG position by both Rams OL coaches. Talk? Of course, I enjoy having detailed conversations on Ol'ers. Yes, Brewer was UDFA in 2019. His best NFL position {IMO} may very well be the LG position.

Hopefully, the Bobby Evans experiment @ OG is DEAD & he will no longer be listed as an OG & permanently cemented as a prospective MR53 Swing OT.

Rams have 8 OT's on the roster if they exclude Brewer & let him fight in those LG/RG posts. You advise me & tell me .....besides Edwards & Bruss who would be a solid OG prospect?

View attachment 54209

Bonifay’d you got me. I’m stumped right now.

My guess is

Noteboom,A Jackson,Edwards,Shelton,Allen,Bruss,,’,Anchrum,Havenstien, Evans

That’s 9 & I have to think Bobby Evans is in play.Shelton deserves a look.

IMO there has to be a backup practice squad center. Right now that is what I have to believe will happen.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay said they need a starter at RG which demonstrates what they think of the depth there. So Bruss is almost sure to start. He will get all the snaps and focus just a matter of him mentally being ready.

Durant there simply is no corner on this roster with his juice plus his ball skills. That ensures he will get every opportunity to start in the slot or boundary. Rams will not hold him back for marginal options. Once he has the scheme down he will play. Worst case is he wins the slot or boundary job in season.

Williams isn't good enough to jump Akers if Akers fully returns to who he was. But if he is not the same guy that would open up the top job. Williams is good enough, however, to jump Hendy and I expect that. And from there Akers won't want to miss any time with that dude behind him. Backup RB just got upgraded basically.

On Durant imo your throwing small darts. I just looked over some training camp photos,which in no way will tell the story of these OTA photos coming up.When comparing it only is a starting point.

Merlin you could be perfectly right,but your track record Imo is very questionable.We can go by The Rams O’Line from 2018 which just helped win a SuperBowl & resigning 3 & Lossing Corbett & Whitworth. To think The Rams still have a chance in 2022 to win another does speak volumes.

I’m not sure where you were with Raheem Morris & The Rams DB group. Mostly from the 2019(20) class.

I’ve been a Troy Hill fan since the 2019 training camp.He looked so much improved from 2018.Now that he is back,can’t image him not starting.He is a Ram for that reason only.
David Long is also just starting to play at a higher level.He will be put in spots to succeed.
Scooter 31 was were Durant is now.His experience from last season was priceless.He really is a ball hawk.Didn’t think that coming out of college.During training camp from the photo & knowledge I have makes me think he can better than D.Williams.He did have a couple brain faults last season though.
— Just looking at Burgees & Scott there always getting after it.Taylor Rapp is going to have to beat them out ? Fuller isn’t 100%,but maybe not wearing the Green Mic is what the Dr. Ordered.He is not the fastest DB.

Watching Funk last season In training camp shows the energy he brings practice in practice out.My concern besides his knee is his size.
Williams talks a good game & seems to play like a 220lb RB. Still seeing just his Front overall numbers make it hard to overlook how tough it’s going to be to make the roster.
5’9 199 4.65 40yrd dash. That right there screams no way he is ever going to be more than a 3rd RB at best.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

View attachment 54209

During training camp it was a hard call.Bobby Evans went from the starting RG to 2nd string. Then when he had to play in the preseason he didn’t step up.

AJ Jackson didn’t get many reps.
Coleman Shelton must have been hurt.
Kolone was the 3rd/2nd string C.

A lot changes in a season. The 53 is big. The new Covid(17 game) practice squad rules really benefits these players & helps separate the better franchises who like The Rams develop there players.

Our expectations (at least mine) changes a lot,but I’m more still prove what I’m seeing wrong.

I see all the Landon Bruss love.Mcvay obviously wanted him badly.I still think as much as he is slotted in The Rams have time to develop him & makes sure he is the best choice NOW!!

Bobby Evans might be tough to replace through OTA’s & the beginning of training camp.

Anchrum I never saw play RG in training camp.David Edwards did get a few reps at RG.That said The Rams want Bruss next to the Veteran Big Rob Havenstien. Edwards & Noteboom have been taking 1st team reps together for 3 seasons now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
During training camp it was a hard call.Bobby Evans went from the starting RG to 2nd string. Then when he had to play in the preseason he didn’t step up.

AJ Jackson didn’t get many reps.
Coleman Shelton must have been hurt.
Kolone was the 3rd/2nd string C.

A lot changes in a season. The 53 is big. The new Covid(17 game) practice squad rules really benefits these players & helps separate the better franchises who like The Rams develop there players.

Our expectations (at least mine) changes a lot,but I’m more still prove what I’m seeing wrong.

I see all the Landon Bruss love.Mcvay obviously wanted him badly.I still think as much as he is slotted in The Rams have time to develop him & makes sure he is the best choice NOW!!

Bobby Evans might be tough to replace through OTA’s & the beginning of training camp.

Anchrum I never saw play RG in training camp.David Edwards did get a few reps at RG.That said The Rams want Bruss next to the Veteran Big Rob Havenstien. Edwards & Noteboom have been taking 1st team reps together for 3 seasons now.
Not a hard call for me but there are several combinations that could happen.....

Edwards/Anchrum
Edwards/Bruss
Edwards/Shelton

Less likely is a Jackson @ LG & Edwards @ RG.

Coleman Shelton might follow the Austin Blythe model of a few years back. If starting OC Allen does miss snaps Shelton would move to center & the winner of the Swing OG position (whomever) would move into Shelton's RG post.

If Shelton ends up the starting RG then the Carberry will need to ensure he has a reasonable center ready to run with the interiors of Allen/ Edwards & Shelton. Who that will be is a big problem....right now all Carberry has only UDFA 's ...Jeremiah Kolone & Rookie Jack Snyder OT/OG both were primarily starting OG's in college.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

You're really high on Durant, for good reason. I think he's an excellent prospect and pick but wouldn't be surprised, at all, if Kendrick beat him for snaps in the slot this year. Kendrick's size and tackling make him a solid play at the slot and he performed really well against excellent competition. His lack of top end won't be as big an issue in the slot, imo.
Do you think Durant will beat out Rochell? Or are you envisioning him opposite Rochell when Ramsey moves into the star position?

Agree on Bruss, 100%. I think the interesting fight will be for the 3/4 guard spot. Shelton is probably locked in at 3.. but there should be a big fight after that.

I hope Alaric Jackson isn't fools gold. A lot of us are excited about him.. but he was against backups against Minnesota and obviously benefitted from that. Promising prospect, nonetheless.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Bruss starts, CBs fight it out maybe one starts by mid season one does I think. Minimally gets some playing time. Williams is the 3rd back over Funk imo. Rest TBD.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not a hard call for me but there are several combinations that could happen.....

Edwards/Anchrum
Edwards/Bruss
Edwards/Shelton

Less likely is a Jackson @ LG & Edwards @ RG.

Coleman Shelton might follow the Austin Blythe model of a few years back. If starting OC Allen does miss snaps Shelton would move to center & the winner of the Swing OG position (whomever) would move into Shelton's RG post.

If Shelton ends up the starting RG then the Carberry will need to ensure he has a reasonable center ready to run with the interiors of Allen/ Edwards & Shelton. Who that will be is a big problem....right now all Carberry has only UDFA 's ...Jeremiah Kolone & Rookie Jack Snyder OT/OG both were primarily starting OG's in college.

Yeah - amazing how much younger these players look.Just showing my age I guess.
OTA’s are just going to start up.The Rams will make the younger players earn there spots,as well as pushing the veterans.
I don’t know if I made it clear? I can not see Shelton playing in the preseason at all either way.

—Bobby Evans I don’t know about because last season he started out as The Rams RG.Next thing he knows is he was fighting for a roster spot.IMO Bobby Evans is going to have a different mind set.
I also question Anchrum ? He is a 6’2 RT. That right there Imo is a losing battle.He really has to impress & improve ? We have awhile to continue this.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This draft is like the opposite of last year's, where you have players who are ready to play. Bruss was a guy they targeted to start and is good in both run/pass. Durant and Kendricks are both slot ballhawks who shouldn't have any problem if called on, even if one is a bit small and the other is limited athletically. Williams is a better pass blocker day one than anyone not named Akers.

I wonder if last year's group was a bit too much development after they did their end of year self-scout or whatever because there's a clear difference.