LA Rams 2022 rookie class: Projecting the roster battles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The only possible major weakness is at Edge. That said, Justin Hollins has proved he is a solid starter and we have some major potential in reserve. If one player breaks out here then we could be in for some fireworks on D
They could go with the combination of Hollins & Lewis, that was working before both became injured which led to the acquisition of Von Miller. Chris Garrett could offer something if Lewis again is slowed by his knee issues.

I know I've gone overboard on the punter competition, but although Dicker would offer something from a place kicking perspective in case something happen to Gay, Riley Dixon was also a kicker & punter at Syracuse so he's even an upgrade in that area over Hekker.

Very nervous for the first game of the year because the Buffalo Bills are extremely good and they've added Miller and RB James Cook two players the Rams wanted. Overall, I can't put too much on game one, but as fans we better get ready because many are going to be picking Buffalo to win that game IMHO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Everett was TE #2, behind Higbee.
JJ3 started because Rapp was hurt in camp.
I don’t believe any of the other guys started opening day.

Edwards is a good example of coming in after the season starts and stays on the field.

Scott has always got some snaps on D, but he might finally get his shot to start.

I’ll beg to differ ?

Tavon Austin was still signed to a big contract & Mcvay wanted it to work out. He used him all over the field & The Rams ran that Jet Sweep a lot.He was used as a RB sometimes as well.

The Rams signed a guy right after Andrew Whitworth. His name was Bobby Tree’s who just got traded a few months ago.He was an excellent
Veteran mentor who Cooper Kupp was mentored by.

Then The Rams traded a future 2nd rd pick for a guy named Sammy Watkins who was The Rams deep threat & sort of the #1 wr?

Cooper Kupp could play all WR spots & led The Rams in receiving yards.He was 2nd in catches behind TG31

JJ3 ? What about JJ43 again ?
Tru got signed to that 2nd franchise year. The Rams brought in Webster & Robey-Coleman. -Traded EJ Gaines w/ 2nd rd pick for Sammy.

Mo Alexander got released after starting the first 5 games. Was a weird out of the blue move ? Enter JJ43 at SS.

Samsome Ebukham entered into The Rams starting lineup. Conner Barwin got hurt ? Either way The Rams could have had George Kittle instead.Now the 9ers have both players.

Reynolds came up with a couple big catches his rookie year as well.The Saints home game was a huge win beating Brees.???

Funny thing is it’s not the starters early is it is the development of players late.Mcvay gives players the opportunity to compete.

DJ1 is a perfect example of say a Ben Sko being able to make some nice catches as a 7th rd pick in the SuperBowl.

What happens with Hopkins is another,but In training camp those skill sets in Blanton & Sko were shinning early. Hopkins imo needed to be cut because he didn’t want to be there.

. B. Hopkins will have a new beginning,especially with Phillips gone.Thomas Brown will be a nice addition.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The RG battle will include T Anchrum. Had he not gotten hurt before the season started he probably would have seen snaps there. It will be interesting to see who they have at 2nd and 3rd team OL at the start of TC.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They could go with the combination of Hollins & Lewis, that was working before both became injured which led to the acquisition of Von Miller. Chris Garrett could offer something if Lewis again is slowed by his knee issues.
In addition to the 2022 different options @ ER's DC Morris to explore at his disposal, you might see a newer revised 43 makeup now with Wagner directing traffic. Wagner is the big new power added to this defense & might as well put him in his usual effective comfortable position. I just do not see Wagner leaving the field all that much in favor of a lesser quality defender.

Those 3 LB'ers might end up being SSOLB Jones/ MLB Wagner/ WSOLB Howard with ER Floyd moving down to the LOS with Robinson/ Gaines/Donald. I really like those 3 LB'ers on the field. :hug:

Maximizing those three interior strong run stuffers (Robinson/Gaines/Brown) two of which began to come on nicely in collapsing the step-up room for the QB's late last season, thus leaving the speeders feeding opportunities. From the rookie projection, analysis Snead signed a good UDFA/NT in Elijah Garcia to go with those three above.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The RG battle will include T Anchrum. Had he not gotten hurt before the season started he probably would have seen snaps there. It will be interesting to see who they have at 2nd and 3rd team OL at the start of TC.
Yep....will Coleman Shelton see a ton of LG/RG reps or will Carberry just work him heavy behind Brian Allen? CS is a well-proven commodity now! Plus he is a sure #6 OL'er on this team.....others in the OL cadre need to show up & do what the UDFA journeyman CS did & work for their MR53 positions.

Will Carberry work Jeremiah Kolone as #2 OC and #3 be UDFA Jack Snyder?

Will it be a total waste of time to put in any work devoted to Bobby Evans back in @ OG? The best thing for BE to be placed in his best position to contribute in this OL... would be the important Swing OT position that Noteboom has held off and on since he arrived in 2018. BE being a UFA next season would be looked at as a negative too.

I have seen many in here posting where Alaric Jackson will have the Swing OT position but I recall that Rookie AJ played the RT post like :crap:. If that still holds true then that might force the over 6-6 320lbs Chandler Brewer who has received a ton of Swing OT action in the past to get another look as being a multiple versatile OL'er.

The Swing OT position has a multitude of applicants signed in A.J. Arcuri, Adrian Ealy, Max Pircher, Alaric Jackson & even Tremayne Anchrum. With only 2 of these swing OT prospects having any real ability to play the LT post as a backup.

I will be waiting to hear from you TC voyeurs as to where coach Carberry works Chandler Brewer in at........I am presuming at first CB will see a ton of LG action myself. CB is a little thicker & stronger than starting LG David Edwards so he would seem to be a good backup for that LG post if CB can get his 2019 mojo back. Leaving Logan Bruss & Tremayne Anchrum all those RG reps.

Presently I see the main 8 OL'ers as:

LT-Noteboom/ Jackson[#7]
LG-Edwards/ Shelton[#6]
OC-Allen/ Shelton[#6]
RG- Anchrum/ Bruss[#8]
RT-Havenstein/ Bruss[#8]

Due to Edwards's UFA'cy in 2023, one would think that whoever the 2022 9th MR53 OL'er is .......would have to be a main 2023 prospect @ Swing OG or even as a starter@ OG post, not an OT! You should be looking for OT's Max Pircher & AJ Arcuri to land on the PS when the regular season begins.

If this UDFA
Jack Snyder can put the work in early he might prove to be a future key element in this Ol due to the fact he can play the 3 interior posts like Shelton. Shelton is sure to be a top prospect to start @ LG in the 2023 season.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Maximizing those three interior strong run stuffers (Robinson/Gaines/Brown) two of which began to come on nicely in collapsing the step-up room for the QB's late last season, thus leaving the speeders feeding opportunities. From the rookie projection, analysis Snead signed a good UDFA/NT in Elijah Garcia to go with those three above.
i could see that too, plus utilizing Jones or Wagner on the blitz also.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I know I've gone overboard on the punter competition, but although Dicker would offer something from a place kicking perspective in case something happen to Gay, Riley Dixon was also a kicker & punter at Syracuse so he's even an upgrade in that area over Hekker.

Very nervous for the first game of the year because the Buffalo Bills are extremely good and they've added Miller and RB James Cook two players the Rams wanted. Overall, I can't put too much on game one, but as fans we better get ready because many are going to be picking Buffalo to win that game IMHO.

There’s still a long ways to go,but had a friend randomly text me The Rams have the Toughest schedule.

Was watching NFL network & that Cards HC was complaining about his first game.Saying oh they gave us a rookie QB to go against.Funny he coached Mahomes and was still a Lossing HC.He got let go by Texas Tech.

Mcvay &’The Rams are still are old school like with just 1 game at a time.

Winning the NFC West is always the goal.For all those 9er haters? Saying how we own them ? Let’s hope so.
Can we say 6-0’ lol.

There you go for confidence.Remembering a bunch of posters last season Lossing to Arizona at home that The Rams would never catch them.

I remember Von Miller & OBj we’re Rams & The Rams could have put an end to The 9ers season with a win.Les Snead was in front of Steve Young & Susie saying basically I did my job.Can’t do anymore.

2 losses later to The 9ers & a dominant 9ers crowd at SOFI for the NFC Championship & how The Rams & 9ers both got there was cool because The Rams won it all.

To be scary is how injuryed &crappy they were & thinking this team under Shanahan & Fox are not ever going to be easy.Even if they both F’d up badly in the draft & injuries.

I like The way Mcvay & Snead do things.They have there system & it works.They stay true to the course no Mater Covid or injuries.Lossing 3 in a row.

Tennessee had the best record in the NFL
9ers we’re at Home & backs up against the wall.A loss to The Rams & they’d been like 4-9 ?
Green Bay on the road who had the best record in The NFC.

Thinking Stafford had 3 pick sixes in 3 games added to those losses.I didn’t like the play calling of Kevin O’Connell.

Never knew The Rams scripted there first 15 plays ? Just made me appreciate how much better The Rams can get with Robinson,Coen & Olsen.

It’s new beginnings & Hekker last season Imo should have been let go.The Rams showed loyalty & got a 6th pick(switch) for a punter.The managed the cap & Johnny took at pay cut or restructured.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rookie CB Decobie Durant will be in the mix for the starting nickel spot and possibly more (outside), but if he fails to live up to the hype, Troy Hill, Robert Rochelle and David Long will keep the rookie sitting on the pine to start the season.

Los Angeles Rams Roster Overview: CB, Decobie Durant​

When will the “new” Double-D contribute to the Rams roster...?

By Steven Ridings May 17, 2022,
1652809198422.png

One week closer to the NFL Regular Season. But still a long ways away. At least we had the NFL Schedule released. But on top of that, here’s another feature from our draft class. If you missed last week’s piece on Logan Bruss, check it out here.

Next up on the Los Angeles Rams Roster Overview is Pick 142 from the 2022 NFL Draft - Decobie Durant.

DECOBIE DURANT

5’10” / 180 lbs / CB / South Carolina State

Arms: 30 ¾”

Hands: 8 ¾”

40 yard Dash: 4.38

Bench Press: —

Vertical Jump: —

Broad Jump: —

3 Cone Drill: —

20 yard Shuttle: —

College Evaluation:

Right out of the gate, ‘Cobie Durant stands out with his fast twitch ability. He can put his foot in the ground and come downhill with the best of the best. He has very smooth/oily hips when coming out of his back pedal. He’s the kind of defensive back that wants to get a hand on the football every pass thrown in his direction.

His weakness based on the tape is that he can get boxed out by bigger receivers. He still competes with his physicality even when out of position, but savvy NFL wide receivers could leverage position against him.

Last note: Deion Sanders gave this dude a shout out. Which we have heard similar remarks about past players (Brett Favre made one regarding Clay Johnston). Sanders comments stand out more though because there was no family connection and Durant went head to head against Sanders’s team.

Fit with Los Angeles:

Snead and McVay evaluated that they wanted their secondary to have reinforcements. Decobie was the first defensive player taken by Los Angeles in an attempt to bolster the secondary’s current depth but with the thought of having a running mate with Ramsey in 2023. His ability to break on the football fits a L.A. Rams team using a lot of zone schemes. He has the versatility element that the Rams covet - an outside corner that can kick inside to play the slot. With his smaller stature and twitchiness, L.A. has a future piece that can go toe-to-toe with the fast twitch slot wide receivers of the NFL.

2022 Season Expectation & Prediction:

Ahead of Durant on the depth chart, without question, are Jalen Ramsey and Troy Hill. Then conventional wisdom would say that David Long Jr and Robert Rochell will have the first crack at being the third starting CB; with the other being CB4. I won’t count out an opportunity in which Durant leapfrogs the two if they struggle in camp and Durant shines. But also in the mix at cornerback is Derion Kendrick, another rookie - who heralds from the University of Georgia and I see him competing for the 5th cornerback spot.

I would temper expectations for Decobie Durant this year. His playing time likely opens up in 2023 with Troy Hill, David Long Jr, Taylor Rapp, Nick Scott all likely exiting the DB room. His 2022 play time will likely be <15% of defensive snaps.

Role: 53-Man Roster, Developmental Year/Reserve, #6 CB

That’s all for this week. Come back next as we cover Kyren Williams, Los Angeles’s 5th rounder from the 2022 Draft. Be sure to follow TurfShowTimes on Facebook and Twitter to get the latest articles and content on your Super Bowl Champions, the Los Angeles Rams! Whose House?!? Rams House!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yep....will Coleman Shelton see a ton of LG/RG reps or will Carberry just work him heavy behind Brian Allen? CS is a well-proven commodity now! Plus he is a sure #6 OL'er on this team.....others in the OL cadre need to show up & do what the UDFA journeyman CS did & work for their MR53 positions.

Will Carberry work Jeremiah Kolone as #2 OC and #3 be UDFA Jack Snyder?

Will it be a total waste of time to put in any work devoted to Bobby Evans back in @ OG? The best thing for BE to be placed in his best position to contribute in this OL... would be the important Swing OT position that Noteboom has held off and on since he arrived in 2018. BE being a UFA next season would be looked at as a negative too.

I have seen many in here posting where Alaric Jackson will have the Swing OT position but I recall that Rookie AJ played the RT post like :crap:. If that still holds true then that might force the over 6-6 320lbs Chandler Brewer who has received a ton of Swing OT action in the past to get another look as being a multiple versatile OL'er.

The Swing OT position has a multitude of applicants signed in A.J. Arcuri, Adrian Ealy, Max Pircher, Alaric Jackson & even Tremayne Anchrum. With only 2 of these swing OT prospects having any real ability to play the LT post as a backup.

I will be waiting to hear from you TC voyeurs as to where coach Carberry works Chandler Brewer in at........I am presuming at first CB will see a ton of LG action myself. CB is a little thicker & stronger than starting LG David Edwards so he would seem to be a good backup for that LG post if CB can get his 2019 mojo back. Leaving Logan Bruss & Tremayne Anchrum all those RG reps.

Presently I see the main 8 OL'ers as:

LT-Noteboom/ Jackson[#7]
LG-Edwards/ Shelton[#6]
OC-Allen/ Shelton[#6]
RG- Anchrum/ Bruss[#8]
RT-Havenstein/ Bruss[#8]

Due to Edwards's UFA'cy in 2023, one would think that whoever the 2022 9th MR53 OL'er is .......would have to be a main 2023 prospect @ Swing OG or even as a starter@ OG post, not an OT! You should be looking for OT's Max Pircher & AJ Arcuri to land on the PS when the regular season begins.

If this UDFA
Jack Snyder can put the work in early he might prove to be a future key element in this Ol due to the fact he can play the 3 interior posts like Shelton. Shelton is sure to be a top prospect to start @ LG in the 2023 season.

Bonifay’d you always come up with a bright picture of The Rams O’Line. I always doubt certain things though.

I go back to the beginning.Your view on Bobby Evans for now has been much more accurate than mine.I always wanted to believe he would improve. —Last preseason you wanted to cut him. Now Coleman Shelton really solidified OF/C spot !!

I could see Shelton winning the RG spot,but think it might be best to keep him as a swing player.

I try to simplify things though & think The Rams will as well.I think RG is where things need to be addressed the most.

IMO, just from seeing how The Rams do things would be just to go with the main roster players & 53.

Noteboom LT / AJ Jackson
David Edwards
Brian Allen/Shelton
RG. Starter ??? Bruss
Rob Havenstien

That’s 7 players that are basically for sure to make the roster & leaving 1 open starting spot.

We’ll know from the start of OTA’s who The Rams will have as there 1st & 2nd team early.Last season Brian Allen was The Rams 2nd string RG.
Bobby Evans was the starting RG.

Until we see what The Rams are thinking from the start we don’t know what Carberry is thinking for sure.I’m not going to go into this part of OTA’s blind.

What I will say & imo The Rams need to make sure BRUSS gets 2 Preseason starts & maybe sit out The last Preseason game if The Rams are going to give him the keys from the start. Maybe even giving Shelton starting reps at RG in training camp to start.

Thoughts are first team Reps are very important & Shelton can switch back & forth.Later when the preseason starts CS should’nt play in those games.However it went down last season once he lost the starting Center spot.

Anchrum is basically the swing RT/RG.
BE who knows
C. Brewer is going into his 4th season
and should make some noise knowing the offense.

It’s going to be hard for some of the younger players,but The Rams give all these guys so much preseason Live Reps.

Now that there is 17 games & 3 preseason games gives players less time to prove themselves. The new practice squad rule really helps these players get extra experience that they might not have had.

In 2021 AJ Jackson never made it to the practice squad so his value has already been set.That said every season is its own.That’s what helps make the process(Mcvay’s) great.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anchrum started all 4 pre-season games at RT. Its why I have him at backing up Havenstien. A Jackson started all 4 pre-season games at LT and why I consider him backup to Noteboom. I don't think Edwards gets moved off starting LG unless one of the others really out performs him. Allen is starting C and Shelton is backup there. RG is up for grabs. Interior first off the bench still to be determined.

I expect Carberry to experiment and mix it up during 7 on 7's and 11 on 11 during TC. How they sort them out then we'll see who starts the first pre-season game will give us an idea of the pecking order.

VetRamFan and I will have to pay close attention to the OL along with the DB's at TC.

oldnotdead

Legend
Watch the draft room video. Watch how the Rams contemplated moving up to grab Bruss and how McVay worried he might not drop to 104. McVay mumbles something intriguing, that they view Bruss as a starter, IMO meaning this year, not a developmental project. A lot of evaluators feel that Bruss could easily be a day one starter at OG. All his weaknesses are coachable issues and can be addressed in OTAs and TC. We will know in TC if they indeed want him as a day one starter.

I think Garrett will be given an opportunity to take Okoronkwo's snaps and that made Obo expendable. I can see Lake getting rotational snaps at SS as well. If he plays well he will bump Rapp next year.

Troy Hill IMO was signed as injury depth. He's being paid basically vet minimum on a one year deal. The Browns just wanted him off the roster (buyers regret). The Browns saw how schematically limited he was after just one season. There is no guarantee Troy will make the final roster.

IMO Hardy's issues are technique related so he could see rotational snaps and could press Hollins if he can show coverage ability. Otherwise, he will be STs this year.

I see Durant pushing Deayon this year as Deayon is schematically limited. Durant gives Morris the option of moving Ramsey where ever he wants. Durant can play inside and outside and is schematically not limited as he can play man or zone. To begin with I think his rotational snaps will be at SCB which IMO will be his primary position. I love this pick because like Rochell he plays an aggressive style.

With the bye week being early it allows the Rams a few extra weeks to get some key rookies ready to play over the remaining stretch of games to finish the season.

I think the Ram's starters and rotational players are pretty set. That said I think Bruss is a day one starter at RG. By year's end if not sooner Durant will take Deayon's snaps. Williams should see spot duty with his snaps increasing after the bye. This draft was very focused on next year, i.e. replacing players like Hollins (Hardy), Rapp (Lake) and Deayon (Durant), Williams (Michel).

A lot could change after June 1 as I still think Snead trades for a splash edge. Also, a lot rests with how good Carter looks as a blocking TE/FB. It could mean that we could see more 21 personnel this year. This would open the door for signing OBJ with the expectation of a mid-December return. It would be interesting to see Carter lined up as a FB with Robinson (X), OBJ (Y) and Kupp (Z). If the box is light the Rams run, if the D plays with a stacked box then Stafford passes. That is how a FB can change this offense.

How does Williams change things? He's a better receiver than Michel. McVay can use his bunched WRs to the left to draw the SS out of the box, and influence the FS to the left. Stafford looks that way initially, but the play is really to Williams in the flats on the opposite side. If Williams can beat the single LB in coverage (i.e. the first tackle) he can break one. This would work if Williams establishes himself as a blocking 3rd down RB.

McVay is already using less pre-snap motion. With Stafford's ability to read, it's not necessary. The next evolution should be in the run game. If McVay wants to run a power run attack then he needs a lead blocker. That in turn opens up the return of the play-action pass game. This offense could change dramatically if Carter is indeed their FB.

We will learn more once TC starts. OTAs are where coaches experiment so people can't take what they see too seriously, i.e. Corbett as a center. What we see in TC will be pretty much what they expect to go to war with during the regular season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hughes-Murray is athletic, but didn't make enough plays in college, camp body.
Beaver hater! :evil:
Edit: researched it and it seems like this is no longer the case. No special holds for any PS guy. If another team wants your guy, they can take him as long as they sign him to their 53 man roster (& required to stay there for at least 3 weeks).
I think the only exception is Max Pircher on the international exemption.
VetRamFan and I will have to pay close attention to the OL along with the DB's at TC.
Looking SO forward to it. Cheers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Anchrum started all 4 pre-season games at RT. Its why I have him at backing up Havenstien. A Jackson started all 4 pre-season games at LT and why I consider him backup to Noteboom. I don't think Edwards gets moved off starting LG unless one of the others really out performs him. Allen is starting C and Shelton is backup there. RG is up for grabs. Interior first off the bench still to be determined.

I expect Carberry to experiment and mix it up during 7 on 7's and 11 on 11 during TC. How they sort them out then we'll see who starts the first pre-season game will give us an idea of the pecking order.

I will tell you bubbaramfan that I look forward to you & VetRamFan reports with excitement.

Even though it would be best for the overall OL unit if Shelton remains the #6 OL'er as the backup to all three interior positions .......however if Shelton comes into TC and just blows it up as the #2 OG against all the competing OL'ers then there is no way McVay /Carberry can deprive Shelton a starting post, be it RG or LG.

I did see Anchrum getting some OG snaps in the 2021 preseason after starting most of the games @ OT, matter of a fact the injury to his knee in the 2nd preseason gm came while getting snaps @ RG. I see Anchrum as the best RT/RG prospect at this early stage. Anchrum's best NFL playing post will be RT. Carberry has a ton of OT's & only a few interior OL'ers. Anchrum with those extra-long arms will always be at a disadvantage playing OG.

It would be interesting to see which (Evans or Anchrum) is the better overall RT at the end of preseason.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reading through the his thread I see two things.

1) Good completion on the Oline is a plus for the Rams. Guys fighting got a starting spot is better than promotion by default.

2) This team really needs to watch camp cuts for a veteran DE/OLB.

I am not to far removed from wondering if they had a serviceable 1WR, OG, C, DE, LB, QB, ok the entire roster and depth.

dang

Legend
Reading through the his thread I see two things.

1) Good completion on the Oline is a plus for the Rams. Guys fighting got a starting spot is better than promotion by default.

2) This team really needs to watch camp cuts for a veteran DE/OLB.

I am not to far removed from wondering if they had a serviceable 1WR, OG, C, DE, LB, QB, ok the entire roster and depth.
Agree on both counts. Rams need to find an improved run game and a very good (not average) Edge rusher. I’d also look for at least one vet being added for depth at CB/DL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I will tell you bubbaramfan that I look forward to you & VetRamFan reports with excitement.

Even though it would be best for the overall OL unit if Shelton remains the #6 OL'er as the backup to all three interior positions .......however if Shelton comes into TC and just blows it up as the #2 OG against all the competing OL'ers then there is no way McVay /Carberry can deprive Shelton a starting post, be it RG or LG.

I did see Anchrum getting some OG snaps in the 2021 preseason after starting most of the games @ OT, matter of a fact the injury to his knee in the 2nd preseason gm came while getting snaps @ RG. I see Anchrum as the best RT/RG prospect at this early stage. Anchrum's best NFL playing post will be RT. Carberry has a ton of OT's & only a few interior OL'ers. Anchrum with those extra-long arms will always be at a disadvantage playing OG.

It would be interesting to see which (Evans or Anchrum) is the better overall RT at the end of preseason.

Brewer is going to be somewhere in the mix as well.

Anchrum is still only 23 going into his 3rd season.Is short for a Tackle.I think he is a very mature player especially for his age.He still has 2 years left on his contract,so he should continue to be that swing guy on the Right Side.

AJ Arcuri is 24 going into his rookie season just to state Anchrum’s upside still as such a young player.