Kenny Young Traded

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That’s possible that he was unhappy with his reduced snaps.

Sounds like a trade in the works

No but having a rookie face Henry could be even worse.

Yeah that would suck but there is more pressure on a contending team to meet the expectations of the coaches.

Fuller could be part of the Young deal. Maybe another week or two of the Broncos paying him reduces his salary to fit under the Rams cap. The sweetheart deal for Young could have been to get the Broncos to agree to take Fuller off other teams lists and hold him for the Rams.

See above

I’ve read that he’s never looked like his former self after getting the second contract.

A one year rental of a very good player could yield a 3rd or 4th comp pick in 2023.

With reduced snaps maybe they think Jones can play just as good as Young. Apparently they weren’t completely happy with Young’s play. Maybe he lacks instincts. If Jones is as instinctual as they claimed at draft time, then he could be a big upgrade. They could have just been waiting for Jones to make them feel confident that he knows the defense.
3rd CB way more important than starting ILB in this league now...

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Fuller could be part of the Young deal. Maybe another week or two of the Broncos paying him reduces his salary to fit under the Rams cap. The sweetheart deal for Young could have been to get the Broncos to agree to take Fuller off other teams lists and hold him for the Rams.
I like this Idea. It makes sense to me. Also if we are taking on the contract, we might have paid in full already or at least it shouldn't take a very high pick.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Young is a free agent after this year. It's best that we got something for him, even if it's a faraway sixth.
If Young had finished the season with the Rams, and played-out his contract ... then left in free agency ... the Rams may have gotten a late round comp pick for Young.

And it would have been a year earlier (2023) than what they got in the trade; and they would not have needed to give-up a seventh.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't have a week or two though, November 2nd deadline.

Psycho_X

Legend
Don't have a week or two though, November 2nd deadline.
Some rumors have the Texans having a sale on players, maybe they are waiting until they play us to trade someone to us. No idea who we'd want from them but just random thought and wouldn't be the first time we've traded with them.

One name I've seen floated is Justin Reid who is in the final year of his rookie contract. Should be able to afford him and would be a good deep safety and let Fuller fall back closer to line like he was last season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What kind of CB should/would the Rams go for? A real starter in exchange for picks / players or a backup?
Which team provides a CB that helps us and is affordable at the same time?

Well imo if The Rams make a trade they will have to give up a player with a little higher of a contract hit ?
Just wondering if there is another player who The Rams can trade away?
The Rams are so Top heavy that the rest of the roster is youth.
Looking ahead at the schedule Houston should be an easy win. Then Henry & the Niners are back to back before the bye week. Titans & Niners
are both more run oriented teams.This made Kenny Young more expandable.Imo it comes down to M.Williams ankle.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If Young had finished the season with the Rams, and played-out his contract ... then left in free agency ... the Rams may have gotten a late round comp pick for Young.

And it would have been a year earlier (2023) than what they got in the trade; and they would not have needed to give-up a seventh.
It was about clearing an additional $1.2M in cap space. They have a lot of FA's this offseason that they want to keep... notably the core of your OL.

So any additional cap room that you can create, because you also want to add a vet CB on top of your upcoming offseason priorities, then this makes a ton of sense.

I was surprised Young was not dealt or cut before the season to realize the full $2.1M in cap savings.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It was about clearing an additional $1.2M in cap space. They have a lot of FA's this offseason that they want to keep... notably the core of your OL.

So any additional cap room that you can create, because you also want to add a vet CB on top of your upcoming offseason priorities, then this makes a ton of sense.

I was surprised Young was not dealt or cut before the season to realize the full $2.1M in cap savings.
I'm with you. It's just not that much cap space.

I weigh that additional $1.2M against the impact of not having Young as the Rams try to win a Super Bowl.

Right now, the ILBs are Reeder, Jones and Howard. Three different skills sets and zero depth.

ILB was not a strength before this deal. It's less of a strength after this deal. And now, it's a very thin position.

Unless there's another move coming.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'm with you. It's just not that much cap space.

I weigh that additional $1.2M against the impact of not having Young as the Rams try to win a Super Bowl.

Right now, the ILBs are Reeder, Jones and Howard. Three different skills sets and zero depth.

ILB was not a strength before this deal. It's less of a strength after this deal. And now, it's a very thin position.

Unless there's another move coming.
Its about Young...a middling ILB vs a vet CB tgat you absolutely need to beat the Cards, Bucs, Cowboys, and Packers...and especially of you lose a CB. They are so thin at that position.

3rd CB > than ILB

And it's not like they traded Ray Lewis. Young's impact isn't close to what a CB can provide.

Who made a bigger impact in that Cardinal game... Young or David Long?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If there's a significant move for a player outside the organization, I would hope it would be for someone who could make a real impact.
Young's snaps have been decreasing.
It looks.. *to me*.. like they want to have a 5DB set with Ramsey in the Star along Rapp at SS as much as possible.. with one ILB. That would seem to indicate either going after another corner or safety. If Williams and Rochelle are healthy, I can understand this strategy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have not been a Young fan this year. He seems to do ok in space,
But when it comes to lining up on a run play and finding and filling the correct gap
he has been horrendous.
That being said Reeder is worse. Poor tackling , Poor pursuit angles to tackles
I haven't been happy with either

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1452705634189647874?s=20

The Big Question nobody has cleared up just yet what position does DC Morris want Jones to play?

Do the Rams want Rookie Ernest Jones starting in what was Kenny Young ILB'er positions or does DC Morris want to see Rookie Ernest Jones playing in the base MLB post where Troy Reeder would line up?

DC Morris has a 4th season ILB'er named Travin Howard who has been around now for a while. Known for playing the hybrid safety/LB posts for TCU. The rams are sitting on a Kenny Young type close here already. Howard is healthy & ready to start now. So there are no issues ongoing @ ILB'er post where Young did play.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Big Question nobody has cleared up just yet what position does DC Morris want Jones to play?

Do the Rams want Rookie Ernest Jones starting in what was Kenny Young ILB'er positions or does DC Morris want to see Rookie Ernest Jones playing in the base MLB post where Troy Reeder would line up?

DC Morris has a 4th season ILB'er named Travin Howard who has been around now for a while. Known for playing the hybrid safety/LB posts for TCU. The rams are sitting on a Kenny Young type close here already. Howard is healthy & ready to start now. So there are no issues ongoing @ ILB'er post where Young did play.
Well.. Jourdan said that they absolutely do want Jones to play.

RamWoodie

Legend
Well...according to McVay, the main reason for moving Young is cap space, and they believe in Jones and Reeder filling the vacancy.

Equally that doesn't mean another move isn't in the works...we'll see.

What we do know...is the tougher second half of the season is coming...and will the Rams pass the test.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Its about Young...a middling ILB vs a vet CB tgat you absolutely need to beat the Cards, Bucs, Cowboys, and Packers...and especially of you lose a CB. They are so thin at that position.

3rd CB > than ILB

And it's not like they traded Ray Lewis. Young's impact isn't close to what a CB can provide.

Who made a bigger impact in that Cardinal game... Young or David Long?
We are not actually disagreeing.

You’re assuming there’s another move coming. Great! I hope so!

You think it will be for a CB. Great! I hope it’s a good one!

I am saying the trade does not make sense “Unless there’s another move coming”. That’s a quote from my post above.

If they are going to weaken one position, even if it’s just from a depth point of view, I would hope it’s to strengthen the Team … either at ILB or another position … like cornerback.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1 week and the deal could have been in the works a week or two ago. So that’s three paychecks.
Lol ok we’re going back in the past now? Your post I quoted says getting them to pay another week or two of his salary. We get one more week not a couple.