Kenny Young Traded

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some rumors have the Texans having a sale on players, maybe they are waiting until they play us to trade someone to us. No idea who we'd want from them but just random thought and wouldn't be the first time we've traded with them.

One name I've seen floated is Justin Reid who is in the final year of his rookie contract. Should be able to afford him and would be a good deep safety and let Fuller fall back closer to line like he was last season.
He’s about the only name that makes sense, that roster is terrible.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We are not actually disagreeing.

You’re assuming there’s another move coming. Great! I hope so!

You think it will be for a CB. Great! I hope it’s a good one!

I am saying the trade does not make sense “Unless there’s another move coming”. That’s a quote from my post above.

If they are going to weaken one position, even if it’s just from a depth point of view, I would hope it’s to strengthen the Team … either at ILB or another position … like cornerback.
One response could be that it simply opens up a spot to activate someone they want to give opportunities to that they already have in-house.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well imo if The Rams make a trade they will have to give up a player with a little higher of a contract hit ?
Just wondering if there is another player who The Rams can trade away?
The Rams are so Top heavy that the rest of the roster is youth.
Looking ahead at the schedule Houston should be an easy win. Then Henry & the Niners are back to back before the bye week. Titans & Niners
are both more run oriented teams.This made Kenny Young more expandable.Imo it comes down to M.Williams ankle.
Expandable like he’s gaining a lot of weight????

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
One response could be that it simply opens up a spot to activate someone they want to give opportunities to that they already have in-house.
Then I really wouldn't understand the move. You would just make room without loosing the depth. Of course you wouldn't be able to put Young on the PS, but to move him AND 7th for a 6th, seems like you don't value him at all. He was a starter. If this is just a cap move then he had to step in a big ass pile of shit. maybe he is going to get suspended. They would have to tell the broncos to trade him. Maybe that is it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sounds like they were surprise by Denver's interest too...

I'm all for bringing in secondary help but we were really up against in with the cap and I didn't even realize how much money was needed to call guys up from PS but makes sense when you end up paying out game day checks. And with one more game this year, even more money will be needed for it.

Let's see what happens. But if we get a trade for a guy, we prob would have to make another restructure move above and beyond all this with the money we need for elevating guys.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lol ok we’re going back in the past now? Your post I quoted says getting them to pay another week or two of his salary. We get one more week not a couple.
Yeah but we don’t know when this trade was really agreed on. Maybe Snead said he wanted one more week of Young to play the Lions. Then we make the move.

You know I’m just speculating. If they don’t acquire Fuller then it’s all just gibberish. I just think it’s fun to try to put the pieces together.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yes but who?

I don't believe there are any ILBs on the Practice Squad to promote.

If it's a CB (Orr, Brooks, Haley or Hall) they could have done that without moving Young.

It may sound like I am a Kenny Young fan. I'm not.

In fact, when camp opened the Rams' ILBs were Reeder, Young, Kiser, Howard, Jones and Roseboom.
Figuring they would keep four, I was hoping the starters would be Kiser and Howard, with Jones getting snaps; and the fourth ILB coming-down to Reeder or Roseboom. Kenny Young was the last guy on my list. However, he was the most talked-up by the coaching staff; and played the most snaps for the first four games.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yes but who?

Travin Howard seems like the most obvious candidate. He seemed like one of the front runners going into camp and then had a horrible preseason. Maybe he's finally settling into what Morris wants him to do? I don't know, but he's certainly been a guy they were really high on last season before his injury ended it before it began.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm with you. It's just not that much cap space.

I weigh that additional $1.2M against the impact of not having Young as the Rams try to win a Super Bowl.

Right now, the ILBs are Reeder, Jones and Howard. Three different skills sets and zero depth.

ILB was not a strength before this deal. It's less of a strength after this deal. And now, it's a very thin position.

Unless there's another move coming.
Might have a lot to do the way the Rams are speaking & planing on the primary DC Morris "Single-Backer Package.

The Rams have zero ILB'ers on the PS. Shula is sitting better @ OLB'er now with Lewis & Okoronkwo both seeing a good amount of action, having a healthy OLB Jamir Jones just standing around keeping Rookie OLB Garrett Inactive. Shula is also looking to the near future of having OLB Justin Hollins return to duty somewhere @ OLB'er?

In truth, the OLB'er unit will soon be bursting @ the seams.

Last Sunday we saw a ton of SIX DB's running around in that DC Morris defense. Guess there getting their workouts in learning to chance from far behind that unknown Titan RB. Having a skinny thin small safety size MLB rookie Ernest Jones will not be much help.

1344809899.0.jpg

When Les Snead selected Ernest Jones with the 104th pick of the 2021 NFL Draft, it changed course for the Los Angeles Rams GM in several ways. For one, Jones is Snead’s highest-drafted inside linebacker since Alec Ogletree in 2013. And second, Jones is the youngest linebacker who Snead has ever drafted, and the only other one who was 21 as a rookie was also Ogletree.

Now the Rams may need Ernest Jones to play like Ogletree.

LA traded inside linebacker Kenny Young to the Denver Broncos on Monday and Sean McVay noted to the media that the team would need Jones and Troy Reeder to step up following the move. Young was second on the team in tackles, but there doesn’t seem to be any attribute that couldn’t be filled by a replacement and McVay said the team was looking for “financial flexibility” more than anything else.

But during any decision like this, one obvious variable is that we know what Kenny Young can do and we don’t know what Ernest Jones can do but we do know that the Rams have a bad run defense. Jones won’t be held responsible for fixing the run defense or pass coverage issues, he’s just a less expensive option who everybody wants to see on the field anyway.

A junior at South Carolina last year, Ernest Jones was mocked to the LA Rams at pick 57 by Mel Kiper, Jr. at one point but fell to them all the way down at 103. Similar to Ogletree, Jones played sparingly as a rookie, then saw his production ramp up as a sophomore and junior, while also missing a few games.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1376169038167089160

Ernest Jones’ comp at NFL.com by Lance Zierlein was Micah Kiser, a player selected by Snead in the fifth round three years earlier and also traded to the Broncos in 2021:

Two-down linebackers with limited speed and below-average athleticism aren’t exactly in vogue these days, but Jones has the field IQ and interior toughness to warrant consideration. He’s a blue-collar linebacker capable of handling the physical duties required of his position, but he will always have limitations in pursuit speed and coverage talent. He has a good feel for diagnosing blocking schemes and finding runners between the tackles, so a role as a backup inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense might be his best fit early on in his career.
NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah said “This is one of my guys” of Jones.

And while Jones is a bit smaller than Alec Ogletree, he might also be a slightly better athlete. Even if he’s not the same caliber of prospect overall, and that would also be fair to say of Ernest Jones. There are some surface level similarities to Alec Ogletree’s situation but that is a bar too high for what to expect over the next 10 games and hopefully more.

In a Turf Show Times fanpost by Ferragamo15, he was compared not to Ogletree or Kiser, but Roman Phifer:

Pro Comparison
Roman Phifer (2nd round 1991, Rams, UCLA)
I would not have drafted Ernest Jones before the late rounds. I think Derrick Barnes, who was pick 113 by Detroit, was a better prospect. I thought Kiser was a better prospect (which is how Zierlein had them graded) and Kiser was a 5th round pick. Why did Snead draft Jones so early?
CBSSports ranked all of the NFL teams in terms of how their drafts compared to their board and the Rams were in last place, ranked 32nd. So, this is more than just normal post draft Monday morning quarterbacking by disgruntled fans. There is an objective basis from which to conclude that the Rams reached with their selections. Do Snead and McVay see something in these players that most experts don’t see?
Will Ernest Jones be able to match Kenny Young’s play at inside linebacker at a lower price?

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Travin Howard seems like the most obvious candidate. He seemed like one of the front runners going into camp and then had a horrible preseason. Maybe he's finally settling into what Morris wants him to do? I don't know, but he's certainly been a guy they were really high on last season before his injury ended it before it began.
That would be great. As I wrote above, I was hoping Howard would start at ILB. I like the small/fast ILB.

However, the Rams did not have to trade Young to start either Jones or Howard. It's not that I am a big fan of Kenny Young, it's that I believe they are very thin at ILB right now. The $1.2M of cap savings is nice, provided they use it to upgrade ... whether that be at ILB, CB or another position.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Might have a lot to do the way the Rams are speaking & planing on the primary DC Morris "Single-Backer Package.

The Rams have zero ILB'ers on the PS. Shula is sitting better @ OLB'er now with Lewis & Okoronkwo both seeing a good amount of action, having a healthy OLB Jamir Jones just standing around keeping Rookie OLB Garrett Inactive. Shula is also looking to the near future of having OLB Justin Hollins return to duty somewhere @ OLB'er?

In truth, the OLB'er unit will soon be bursting @ the seams.

Last Sunday we saw a ton of SIX DB's running around in that DC Morris defense. Guess there getting their workouts in learning to chance from far behind that unknown Titan RB. Having a skinny thin small safety size MLB rookie Ernest Jones will not be much help.

1344809899.0.jpg

When Les Snead selected Ernest Jones with the 104th pick of the 2021 NFL Draft, it changed course for the Los Angeles Rams GM in several ways. For one, Jones is Snead’s highest-drafted inside linebacker since Alec Ogletree in 2013. And second, Jones is the youngest linebacker who Snead has ever drafted, and the only other one who was 21 as a rookie was also Ogletree.

LA traded inside linebacker Kenny Young to the Denver Broncos on Monday and Sean McVay noted to the media that the team would need Jones and Troy Reeder to step up following the move. Young was second on the team in tackles, but there doesn’t seem to be any attribute that couldn’t be filled by a replacement and McVay said the team was looking for “financial flexibility” more than anything else.

But during any decision like this, one obvious variable is that we know what Kenny Young can do and we don’t know what Ernest Jones can do but we do know that the Rams have a bad run defense. Jones won’t be held responsible for fixing the run defense or pass coverage issues, he’s just a less expensive option who everybody wants to see on the field anyway.

A junior at South Carolina last year, Ernest Jones was mocked to the LA Rams at pick 57 by Mel Kiper, Jr. at one point but fell to them all the way down at 103. Similar to Ogletree, Jones played sparingly as a rookie, then saw his production ramp up as a sophomore and junior, while also missing a few games.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1376169038167089160

Ernest Jones’ comp at NFL.com by Lance Zierlein was Micah Kiser, a player selected by Snead in the fifth round three years earlier and also traded to the Broncos in 2021:

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah said “This is one of my guys” of Jones.

And while Jones is a bit smaller than Alec Ogletree, he might also be a slightly better athlete. Even if he’s not the same caliber of prospect overall, and that would also be fair to say of Ernest Jones. There are some surface level similarities to Alec Ogletree’s situation but that is a bar too high for what to expect over the next 10 games and hopefully more.

In a Turf Show Times fanpost by Ferragamo15, he was compared not to Ogletree or Kiser, but Roman Phifer:

Will Ernest Jones be able to match Kenny Young’s play at inside linebacker at a lower price?

Taylor Rapp is our big Strong Safety, in the box, linebacker/safety tweener at 6' 208 pounds.

Ernest Jones is a "skinny thin small safety size" linebacker at 6' 2" 230 pounds.

Interesting

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fuller could be part of the Young deal. Maybe another week or two of the Broncos paying him reduces his salary to fit under the Rams cap. The sweetheart deal for Young could have been to get the Broncos to agree to take Fuller off other teams lists and hold him for the Rams.
Interesting thought Elm. I think you've been reading too much DTR but it's an intriguing angle. :laugh4:

What is nice with Jones is that he's the first non-souped-up-safety that the Rams have targeted and drafted. Ogletree was an oversized safety. Littleton was too. Neither of those guys were any good at stacking OL, shedding them, or getting through traffic. They both covered good ground and could make splash plays but snap to snap were meh. Young was very much an extension of that mold, not as good as either of them but his speed was nice.

Jones is going to need time but it's really exciting to see us bring in a guy who is a little more meat 'n potatoes. He's got a LOT more dawg in him than those safety types. This is gonna be fun to watch him develop, he's gonna fuck up but being in that lineup should boost the mental resilience because he's also a leader.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Might have a lot to do the way the Rams are speaking & planning on the primary DC Morris "Single-Backer Package.
Yesterday, before the Young trade was announced, I posted a thought (wish) that the Rams would play Rapp in the Nickel/Dime LB role in obvious passing situations. Like Rapp so much more near the line of scrimmage. Could play three safeties (Fuller, Scott and Burgess), plus three cornerbacks; or two safeties and four corners.

It's possible the Rams are comfortable with less depth at ILB because they anticipate playing their ILBs fewer snaps going forward.

Just a thought. I really do not like Reeder in space.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Then I really wouldn't understand the move. You would just make room without loosing the depth. Of course you wouldn't be able to put Young on the PS, but to move him AND 7th for a 6th, seems like you don't value him at all. He was a starter. If this is just a cap move then he had to step in a big ass pile of shit. maybe he is going to get suspended. They would have to tell the broncos to trade him. Maybe that is it.
It's a weird move. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Jones does to fully understand it.
If it's a matter of he was being benched and they just wanted to salvage some cap flexibility and get a pick, then I get it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yes but who?

I don't believe there are any ILBs on the Practice Squad to promote.

If it's a CB (Orr, Brooks, Haley or Hall) they could have done that without moving Young.

It may sound like I am a Kenny Young fan. I'm not.

In fact, when camp opened the Rams' ILBs were Reeder, Young, Kiser, Howard, Jones and Roseboom.
Figuring they would keep four, I was hoping the starters would be Kiser and Howard, with Jones getting snaps; and the fourth ILB coming-down to Reeder or Roseboom. Kenny Young was the last guy on my list. However, he was the most talked-up by the coaching staff; and played the most snaps for the first four games.
I don't know, but it wouldn't have to be a ILB.
Maybe they want to activate another Dlineman? Another RB (who? I have no idea)?

dang

Legend
I’m sure Young was unhappy about his diminishing role but IMO his trade was to create more cap space. I’m not sure if the Rams will pursue a trade by November 2nd or pickup a free agent but I believe something will happen before the Tennessee game.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't know, but it wouldn't have to be a ILB.
Maybe they want to activate another D-lineman? Another RB (who? I have no idea)?
I get, and I mentioned CB as another option. However, they did not have to sacrifice a starting-LB that has played a high percentage (declining in recent weeks) of the defensive snaps, to create a roster spot.

Unless there's another move coming; and/or they plan to play their ILBs fewer snaps going forward by using a safety like Rapp in the nickel-LB-role.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I get, and I mentioned CB as another option. However, they did not have to sacrifice a starting-LB that has played a high percentage (declining in recent weeks) of the defensive snaps, to create a roster spot.

Unless there's another move coming; and/or they plan to play their ILBs fewer snaps going forward by using a safety like Rapp in the nickel-LB-role.
I don't think Young is a slam dunk as a starting LB. I think he was the best backup from a subpar group, who at least gave us range at the position for 3 downs. He was always a place holder for the guy they targeted and drafted i.e. Jones.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Rapp paired with Jones. But either way in today's league it's all sub packages and here's what I'm expecting...

2 LB package: Reeder & Jones. Reeder adds physicality early downs.

1 LB package: Jones. He's going to be our 3 down guy the rest of the way.

Nickel LB: Rapp. Maybe down the road we see a lot of him and Jones which would be nice.

Jones looks like the type of guy who will beef up with a pro training regimen. But I like him at that weight he's at now. In fact I think ILBs can get too big (Reeder needs to drop 15 lbs IMO) and it affects their change of direction which is really important in that first few critical seconds of getting into the QB's throwing lane or staying one step closer to who they're covering.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We are not actually disagreeing.

You’re assuming there’s another move coming. Great! I hope so!

You think it will be for a CB. Great! I hope it’s a good one!

I am saying the trade does not make sense “Unless there’s another move coming”. That’s a quote from my post above.

If they are going to weaken one position, even if it’s just from a depth point of view, I would hope it’s to strengthen the Team … either at ILB or another position … like cornerback.
Well, they may also be projecting contract extensions and are scraping every dollar Together to make those happen and his $1.2M is significant.

They may just not see a big diff between him and Jones so why not move forward, especially since that position is not that critical in this day & age.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm holding out hope that the Rams are figuring out a way to obtain Myles Jack.

If not, hopefully Ernest Jones proves me wrong. But, I just don't see it with this guy.