Just How Good Is RB John Kelly?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
If he has an excellent preseason showing, I can see him getting significant reps during the first half of the season while we use Gurley sparingly until the 2nd half of the season. As much as McVay's playcalling was frustrating with going full Martz at times, the depth we have with halfbacks will warrant utilizing the running game; hope McVay understands the value they bring in terms of attrition on opposing defenses.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Not necessarily. If you have a backup who is "damn good" and realize that any long term contract to Gurley is likely to be an overpay the last few seasons, and are going to lose depth all over if you pay him, it may make sense for the team to get good value for him, use the savings to keep players at other positions, and use the draft picks to keep the pipeline going. For instance, the Rams could tender him with the non-exclusive franchise tag next offseason (which saves a little money, often) and if a team decides they are willing to sign him away take the two firsts, or negotiate a deal with the other team, make Kelly the starter, take the 2019 first to fill a hole knowing they'll also have a 2020 first coming. And the money needed to resign Brockers, for instance, or Havenstein, or whatever other needs they have.

For one year, Zac Stacy was damn good. Tre Mason was damn good. Kelly will not be Gurley. Gurley has hall of fame potential.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For one year, Zac Stacy was damn good. Tre Mason was damn good. Kelly will not be Gurley. Gurley has hall of fame potential.

Yeah, I know. It was my way of critiquing the over the top praise of Kelly. He should be a quality role player. Nothing wrong with that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Kelly-Excited-About-Personal-Growth-Throughout-Offseason/5421095d-0435-416e-a3b9-4e17c3e2f23c

Kelly Excited About Personal Growth Throughout Offseason\
Kristen Lago

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOMf7rchDO8

Rookie running back John Kelly will be the first to tell you he has a big personality.

Whether on the field or off, Kelly can often be found joking around with his new teammates and running backs coach Skip Peete — always with a big smile on his face.

And in the six weeks since he was drafted by the Rams, that bright personality has served him well, helping to build a solid foundation throughout OTAs.

“I’ve been able to learn at a nice tempo, so I’m pretty excited,” Kelly said. “Just being able to come up here and bond with some of my teammates, build a good relationship with the coaches and everybody in the building. It’s been a good ride so far.”

But Kelly, like many other first-year players, has also experienced his share of challenges. In just a few months, the Tennessee product has undergone several big life changes — moving to the West Coast and beginning a full-time career among them.

While the most difficult aspect for Kelly has admittedly been learning the offensive system at such a quick pace, the process has been made easier by the veterans in his room.

“Todd Gurley, Malcolm Brown, and Justin Davis have all been pretty helpful,” Kelly explained. “If we make a mistake out here, they are making sure to help us on the corrections as soon as possible. We’ve got a pretty good running backs room, so I’m excited to see what the year got for us.”

The group has also helped Kelly with one of the lesser acknowledged aspects of being an NFL rookie — acting as a professional.

“I think I’m the youngest guy in our class [and] this is grown-man business, so I’ve got to mature for sure,” Kelly said. “We’ve got a bigger target on us than it was at first when we were in college. We’re more under the microscope being professional thletes, so I’m definitely trying to make sure I stay along with that phase as well.”

And after his first month with the organization, Kelly feels as if he has been placed into the perfect environment. Not only does he believe the roster features “a nice blend of personalities,” but a head coach in Sean McVay who is very connected with the team as a whole.

“With coach McVay being a younger guy, he can relate to us a lot more and we have a nice group of older guys who’ve been in this league for a long time as well,” Kelly said.

“I feel like we got a culture that’s like no other,” he continued. “As far as me being here and me taking visits to other places, I feel like coach McVay did a good job of developing a great culture here. We’re all caring and loving on each other everyday, but we’re also competing everyday at practice.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to be honest. If I was working a job that paid almost a million dollars a year, and some young newly hired employee that did the same job and after a certain date, one of us would be out of a job...I can't say that it would be in my nature to help the young guy get better, and therefore endangering my family's income. Much respect to the RB group, they are better than me.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I have to be honest. If I was working a job that paid almost a million dollars a year, and some young newly hired employee that did the same job and after a certain date, one of us would be out of a job...I can't say that it would be in my nature to help the young guy get better, and therefore endangering my family's income. Much respect to the RB group, they are better than me.
Yeah, that’s always seemed kinda mysterious to me, too. Why would Justin Davis and Malcolm Brown go out of rheir way to help John Kelly get better? Gurley has every incentive to help Kelly, but Brown and Davis do not.

Anyone got a good answer for this?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that’s always seemed kinda mysterious to me, too. Why would Justin Davis and Malcolm Brown go out of rheir way to help John Kelly get better? Gurley has every incentive to help Kelly, but Brown and Davis do not.

Each thinks they're better than at least one of the others and probably thinks they're better than other bottom of the NFL RBs. They believe they'll make it even if he improves. If he does get better, the team is better, which gives them as better opportunity to play in the playoffs or the Superbowl. And that is how marginal players earn paychecks way above their weight class.

Or they're just good people with marginal fame and college degrees to fall back on. Either or.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

They help because they're team-oriented, and if helping Kelly helps the team, they do that. That's the kind of culture McVay has instilled.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think Malcolm Brown feels that his position is pretty safe.
Confidence is important for Brown.

Between the team and the practice squad there will be 4 or 5 running backs.

I would think that only Davis and Tillery are somewhat on the bubble.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I like the kid, I don't think he's taking the 2nd back spot from Brown this year though. Still, there will be carries for him. We really were missing a 3rd RB last year.

Flint

Pro Bowler
He seems to have the feet of a scatback but the heart of a bruiser. He makes a decision and knows where the sticks are.
I wonder what McVay’s plan for him is? The 4th quarter is when 5 yd runs turn into 10 or 20, but maybe TG is fresher in the playoffs with fewer carries.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
The more I watch video clips of him the more impressed I am with him! I know he won't beat out Gurley (Nobody Can!) but he sure should make a great backup to Gurley and give him some much needed relief during the season!

And, why not put them both on the field at the same time in certain situations?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Exactly. The one-two punch.

Like McCutcheon and Tyler.....

(n)

Faulk and Jackson....

(n)

Captain and Tenille....

:banghead:

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
I’m curious to know what his longest run was last year. He is a strong runner who
likes to initiate the contact which is an awesome trait.

Kevin

Pro Bowler

Could be nothing more than being a good teammate. Coaches notice that, encourage that, and when it comes time to make roster moves or re-sign players, they take that into consideration. They might tell other coaches we are going to cut so-and-so, he's a good player and good teammate.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Love the kids game. Really nice option out of the backfield. I just hope he can pick up a blitz.....

Flint

Pro Bowler
Seems to have quick feet and is decisive, he’s quick enough to juke you but he doesn’t spend all day doing it. He makes up his mind and gets what he can get, and proves you don’t have to be huge to be physical. We were all hoping TA would be this kind of guy but sadly it never happened.