Just How Good Is RB John Kelly?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
The more I watch video clips of him the more impressed I am with him! I know he won't beat out Gurley (Nobody Can!) but he sure should make a great backup to Gurley and give him some much needed relief during the season!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He's really good.

On another team, I think he could be a rookie phenom.

I dunno that he's Alvin Kamara good, but he's going to give defenses fits, that's for sure.

If they don't wrap up, he's going to make some pros look awfully silly when their position group goes over film...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He could end up being our #2, IMO. He doesn't have a very fast 40, but he has really good top end speed. It has been said he recorded over 21.5 mph top end. He runs angry, and he runs great routes, and has good hands. The thing I like most about Kelly, is the innate way he drops his pads initiating contact at the end of his runs.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Wonder if they use him in Tavons role? Doesbt have near the speed of tavon, but he ain't going down if someone touches his ankle.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
The more I watch video clips of him the more impressed I am with him! I know he won't beat out Gurley (Nobody Can!) but he sure should make a great backup to Gurley and give him some much needed relief during the season!
Seminole,
What is it that you like about him? What have you seen on the vids that has impressed you?

BTW I did read somewhere that he broke over 30+ tackles last year. Playing in the SEC and considering that Kelly is not all that big that is rather impressive if you ask me.

~ArkyRamsFan~

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He runs angry,

He is what I call a "harsh tackle". Meaning he will put more on you than you put on him.

SJackson was like that. You had to fight him to the ground.\

This guy is a smaller version of that. Same spirit though.

I wouldn't mind seeing he and Gurley in the same backfield every now and then

I can see that. With Gurley then leaving the backfield and going in motion into the slot area to fuck with the LB's.

dang

Legend
I am hoping he become more than relief for Gurley. I am hoping he becomes integrated into the offensive game plan. The better offenses have a 1-2 punch in the backfield.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Bigger, stronger faster always wins, especially when form the neck up it's equal at best.
Did you mean usually, or all other things being equal? Otherwise the draft would be easy. The biggest, strongest, fastest guys would be successful every time and picked in order. Hell the draft would only need to be about 3 rounds before you ran out of bigger, stronger, faster guys.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Did you mean usually, or all other things being equal? .

I'm communicating if a player is bigger, stronger and faster and as smart as the other guy, you take the better athlete, but again, that's JMHO.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am a fan, he runs through tackles and makes quick reads. He bounces around like a pinball and is a tough runner with great pad height and good balance. Really good safety valve for Goff and good screen game. Speed is not his game which I think is a good thing, at the next level everyone is fast and he is used to running as though he is going to get contact. Great 3rd and 1 option and at times TG30 can struggle at this making him a great goal line option as well. I think as far as the T.A role that will be filled by committee and was a often just a way to get Tavon touches which will not be needed with his absence. Going to be fun to watch in pre season

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he really is as good as some above are saying, then when Gurley gets expensive the Rams will have to consider trading him and using the money to pay the other stars, and using the draft picks to get other players.

I like Kelly, but I doubt he's a star. He's likely a good role player, though.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If he really is as good as some above are saying, then when Gurley gets expensive the Rams will have to consider trading him and using the money to pay the other stars, and using the draft picks to get other players.

I like Kelly, but I doubt he's a star. He's likely a good role player, though.

He’s going to be damn good, but Gurley is the best in the league. One can argue that Bell is; however, Bell had Bryant and Brown to take pressure off of him. Give me Gurley all day long. Either way, he’s top 2 in the NFL, is elite, and a rare player. You keep those.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s going to be damn good, but Gurley is the best in the league. One can argue that Bell is; however, Bell had Bryant and Brown to take pressure off of him. Give me Gurley all day long. Either way, he’s top 2 in the NFL, is elite, and a rare player. You keep those.

Not necessarily. If you have a backup who is "damn good" and realize that any long term contract to Gurley is likely to be an overpay the last few seasons, and are going to lose depth all over if you pay him, it may make sense for the team to get good value for him, use the savings to keep players at other positions, and use the draft picks to keep the pipeline going. For instance, the Rams could tender him with the non-exclusive franchise tag next offseason (which saves a little money, often) and if a team decides they are willing to sign him away take the two firsts, or negotiate a deal with the other team, make Kelly the starter, take the 2019 first to fill a hole knowing they'll also have a 2020 first coming. And the money needed to resign Brockers, for instance, or Havenstein, or whatever other needs they have.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
For those that haven't seen his highlights...

He doesn't have the break away speed to burn many in the NFL but he looks like he can pound the ball

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I see him as a really good receiving back , runs routes and can catch the ball in stride .I'm sure Mcvay has a plan for him .

Let's not sleep on malcolm brown . I love the way he ran last year . Good short yard back as well

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see him as a really good receiving back , runs routes and can catch the ball in stride .I'm sure Mcvay has a plan for him .

Let's not sleep on malcolm brown . I love the way he ran last year . Good short yard back as well
Brown is OK as our 2nd RB but when Brown gets up a head of steam like in screen pass plays he is a locomotive that no ones want to tackle. He has mastered that very well. Rams looks to be in excellent shape with Gurley-Brown-Kelly- Davis-Tillery in our Rams backfield.