Julio Jones traded to Tennessee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
If the Rams trade Jefferson and some picks for Jones doesn't that create a log jam at receiver?

Jefferson is the number 4 receiver now so if you slot Jones in then that means somebody out of Woods, Kupp, or Jackson has to sit. There's not enough ball to go around. I therefore think that Woods or Kupp would have to be involved in the trade, but can Atlanta take on the salary? Do they even want to?
Gonna have to be a three team deal. One of our guys for picks to another team. Then those picks packaged to Atlanta for Jones.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one who would just prefer to keep our WR corps as is?
Agree, except... one area the Rams were terrible at last year was at scoring passing TDs in the red zone. The new speed receivers won't help much with that. Somebody big with leverage and reach might.

But Jones, for reasons that aren't really clear to me, has not been much of a red zone threat. Otherwise not clear to me how much he adds especially if the price is giving up Woods or even just taking plays away from our current group.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
The only reason I would trade for Jones is to keep him off the 49ers. But that is not really a good reason in the long run.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Agree, except... one area the Rams were terrible at last year was at scoring passing TDs in the red zone. The new speed receivers won't help much with that. Somebody big with leverage and reach might.

But Jones, for reasons that aren't really clear to me, has not been much of a red zone threat. Otherwise not clear to me how much he adds especially if the price is giving up Woods or even just taking plays away from our current group.
Well, I don't know about that. They were terrible at scoring TD passes from anywhere. Goff had 20 TDs and 15 came in the RZ. If you look at the top 5 RZ TD QBs, they had many more than Goff but they also had many more from outside the RZ

QB......................TDs.........RZ Tds.........Outside RZ
Rodgers............48............35..................13
Wilson...............40............29..................11
Brady..................40............28..................12
Tannehill..........33............26...................7
Allen...................37............25...................12

Except for Tannehill they got 70% (give or take 2.9%) of their passing TDs in the RZ. Tannehill got 78.7% in the RZ. Goff 75%. So it's not the RZ TD but all TDs. And speed should help that....

FWIW, Stafford came in at #15 in RZTDs with 17 of his 26 TD passes in the RZ (65%), so the speed should really help him do his thing outside the RZ........where he got one third of his TDs.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only reason I would trade for Jones is to keep him off the 49ers. But that is not really a good reason in the long run.

Who cares if he goes to the whiners? The Rams have Ramsey.

We want the whiners to throw the ball deeper because they killed the Rams with passes to wrs behind the line of scrimmage and then running through 4 defenders to get 1st downs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who cares if he goes to the whiners? The Rams have Ramsey.

We want the whiners to throw the ball deeper because they killed the Rams with passes to wrs behind the line of scrimmage and then running through 4 defenders to get 1st downs.

Julio's my female canine ~ Ramsey

oldnotdead

Legend
Julio is at the age where WRs legs start to go. He missed one game in 2019 followed by 7 games in 2020. Consider his cap cost over the next 3 years and now add in the Falcons unrealistic insistence of a 1st round pick next year and it's no wonder there is no market for an aging WR with a cap busting contract (2021 $23M, 2022 & 2023 $19.2M each year). He would hugely restrict their ability to resign other players next year. I simply see it as a fool's trade and Snead is no fool.

The Niners are said to be in the mix so I see this as trying to drive the price up on the Niners or pressure them into a fool's trade.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I am with you brother.

I am not feeling easy about all this talk. Someone will almost certainly have to go.

I hope it goes away soon.

dang

Legend
I am with you brother.

I am not feeling easy about all this talk. Someone will almost certainly have to go.

I hope it goes away soon.
While entertaining I don’t think it would be a smart move. Unless the trade doesn’t include Kupp/Woods and allows us to add another vet or 2 to the defense this year. The 2021 $15m tag for Julio could be used to bring on a couple FAs like B Poole and KJ Wright and/or sign Williams/Corbett to long term contracts.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay got his QB, he’s basically said that’s what he was missing to run his elite offense.

Jones has been phenomenal, but as @dang just posted trading for Jones limits any other player movement. I agree, but SneVay never listens to my suggestions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
10 mill guarantee for '21 and then 2 years at 11.5 mill per (non guaranteed salary

The problem is, he also probably expects an extension?

I am still in this camp.

I can get excited about Jones, but it feels like a sugar high or something.

Sure... we have a nice window to make a serious Super bowl run... but a perennial winner is what I want just as much. This trade doesn’t feel like it balances short and long term. But... the Rams are good at surprising us.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Report: Rams and Titans have talked to Falcons about a Julio Jones trade, but nothing imminent - ProFootballTalk​

The Falcons are drawing some interest in trading wide receiver Julio Jones, but probably not for the compensation they’re looking for.

The Rams and Titans have both talked to the Falcons about trading for Jones, according to Mike Garafolo on NFL Network. But Garafolo expressed skepticism that the Falcons would get a first-round pick for Jones, and he said nothing is imminent.

That the Rams are in the mix at all casts doubt on the ESPN report that the Falcons already have an offer on the table of a 2022 first-round pick for Jones. The Rams don’t have a first-round pick in 2022 (or 2023) and they don’t have the cap space to take on Jones’ $15.2 million guaranteed base salary. If the Falcons really had an offer of a 2022 first-round pick from a team willing to take on Jones’ contract, the Rams would have already concluded that the trade is too rich for their blood.

At a time when other teams think the Falcons’ expectations are outlandish, the Rams and Titans may be in the mix not because they’re willing to meet the Falcons’ demands, but because they think no team is going to meet the Falcons’ demands and eventually the Falcons will lower their asking price. That might mean it will be a while before a trade gets done, and that when a trade does get done, the Falcons will end up with less than they were hoping for in exchange for a wide receiver who has been one of the best in the NFL but is now 32 years old and locked in to an expensive contract.

nighttrain

Legend
Detroit could pull off this trade, and if Rodgers left GB it would make total sense
train

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure about that. Russell Gage is pretty good and can easily slot in to the #2 role, Tajae Sharpe fills a nice role as the #3, and Pitts will be getting his share of targets Te or not...
Smith is gonna run the ball, there's no doubt about that and they surely have the TE room filled.
Not really sure who's gonna run the ball however, may be a position Atlanta would look to trade for

So what you're saying is Van Jefferson, Darrell Henderson and a 3rd for Julio. I like it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Detroit could pull off this trade, and if Rodgers left GB it would make total sense
train

Yes but Julio wants to win and while Detroit would have a shot at that division, it would be a 2020 NFC East situation.

Julio is one of the best Falcons of all time - doubt they would trade him to a team that he doesn't sign off on

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes but Julio wants to win and while Detroit would have a shot at that division, it would be a 2020 NFC East situation.

Julio is one of the best Falcons of all time - doubt they would trade him to a team that he doesn't sign off on
He doesnt have a no trade, so Atlanta wont care what he thinks, he'll be someone else's problem. Frankly, I think Detroit has a better chance to make playoffs than the Patriots do, and they seem to be talked up a bit

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what you're saying is Van Jefferson, Darrell Henderson and a 3rd for Julio. I like it.
Wasnt what I said, but that seems like a pretty fair deal, if Atlanta is truly looking for a 1st rounder. I'd hate to see it though