Jrry32 NFL Combine Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Donald Celiscar might be moved to fs after his workout...4.62 and 4.68 and TCU coach said Dawson wasn't a hard worker..think it showed at the combine

I don't care where Celiscar plays. We need a FS. You want to move him there, go ahead. Kid is a player at CB and he'll be a player at FS.

As far as Dawson is concerned, I evaluate what I can see. Not my job to evaluate character. I don't have the resources to do that.

it's one reason why the combine matters....

The Combine has its uses but it doesn't matter much for my evaluations unless something is very out of whack or a guy measures in poorly. Dawson didn't stop being a great football player because of what he ran on a track.

the combine is an apples to apples comparison for players from different college divisions, different conferences and different years

as a former coach you quickly learn to not trust only just stats...a player from a lower ranked division might have great stats but lack the athleticism to play with the big boys..

That's a fair point. So the best way is to try and evaluate players against the big boys. Here's Donald Celiscar against the big boys:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcXR7HgbEY

That's the 13-1 Michigan State team that beat Stanford in the Rose Bowl.

Jenkins was just the tallest midget in the room...the combine is one way of telling if you are watching real talent or just a tall midget

No, it's not. Maybe for the guys who have no film against legitimate competition(D-II, D-III guys). But not for the guys who do.

For the guys who do, it's useful in terms of interviews, medical, and their overall measurements. The on the field testing such as the 40 are simply to affirm what's on film or make you go back and rewatch if it doesn't line up with what you saw.

I'll never adjust my rankings purely on their workout numbers. Would have to see something while watching additional games that changed my opinion.

best advice I can give him is never latch onto players early in the process and never stop evaluating players

Unfortunately, I'm going to disregard this advice. I always find players that I latch onto because they stand out to me on film. Sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes I'm right. But, for me, film trumps all.

But I never stop evaluating players. I always go back and watch more games on the players I like later in the process. It takes emotion out of it. If a guy stands out to you the first time...maybe it's just first impression. But if you watch him in multiple different viewings and he continues to stand out, he's just that good.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow you are something. I don't think much of your attitude and I'll say this....Jrry is the best regular dude I've ever seen at evaluating talent and I love his opinions. Won me over last year by touting Aaron Donald and LaMarcus Joyner from the get go. I'll take his draft knowledge over any non professionals any day of the week.

We have a lot of good people on the site. No reason to disregard anyone's analysis.(which is the point I think you're making...I agree)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, after watching Celiscar, I REALLY like him as well. I dunno why FOs get so tied up on that last 2 inches of height and subsequently miss on guys like Celiscar such that they fall so far.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, after watching Celiscar, I REALLY like him as well. I dunno why FOs get so tied up on that last 2 inches of height and subsequently miss on guys like Celiscar such that they fall so far.

Agreed. The guy closes quickly, changes directions with ease, and uses his physicality well to break up passes without getting PIs called.

He's a guy that does a great job of sticking to his man.

Maybe he's not fast enough to play outside CB in the NFL...we'll see. If he isn't, he's very likely capable of playing FS due to his willingness to hit and tackling ability or playing slot CB due to his quicks and closing speed on routes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You lost me at Foles - but then you probably would have suspected that. I like most of the rest though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You lost me at Foles - but then you probably would have suspected that. I like most of the rest though.

No surprise. I'm not a huge Foles fan either but doing the same mock over and over again during this long off-season will be no fun. :LOL:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No surprise. I'm not a huge Foles fan either but doing the same mock over and over again during this long off-season will be no fun. :LOL:
Yeah - I know you're not. Kinda threw me.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You sure are sticking with Leger Douzable though. Hope you're right on him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was about to make that comment. What's up with that Jrry? You have some sort of Douzable template or sumptin'?

I'm just copying and pasting from old ones to save time. No real reason to change Douzable. I'm not gung ho for him or anything...any good rotational run stopper will do. Just quicker to leave it as is than change it up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm just copying and pasting from old ones to save time. No real reason to change Douzable. I'm not gung ho for him or anything...any good rotational run stopper will do. Just quicker to leave it as is than change it up.

Douzable or C.J. Mosley. Either one is fine by me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great read @jrry32 ....interesting thoughts & I'm curious as to your process of evaluation...Specifically as to that cb from Western Mich. I saw that game, and thought they were just playing an in-state rival tough....I'm big on measureables though, guys fall from the combine...They rise too...the cb from U. Conn being one, and the wr from WVU...I still like Strong & Agholor but that White kid...High ceiling if I ever saw one. Another guy that popped was Vic Beasley...And some linemen....Like Scherff, he fell in my eyes from his last 2 games, then just to see him move, he's very smooth an all, but something about him doesn't scream physical as they claim, then tweaks his hammy...I like the Ali guy, the dude from Florida, and still like Flowers.and TJ Clemmings scares me, but I wouldn't mind having him at RT..well, that's what makes this time of the year interesting...Hope to read a bunch of your thoughts in the coming weeks...It is a long off season, especially with this Lakers foolishness going on.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great read @jrry32 ....interesting thoughts & I'm curious as to your process of evaluation...Specifically as to that cb from Western Mich. I saw that game, and thought they were just playing an in-state rival tough....I'm big on measureables though, guys fall from the combine...They rise too...the cb from U. Conn being one, and the wr from WVU...I still like Strong & Agholor but that White kid...High ceiling if I ever saw one. Another guy that popped was Vic Beasley...And some linemen....Like Scherff, he fell in my eyes from his last 2 games, then just to see him move, he's very smooth an all, but something about him doesn't scream physical as they claim, then tweaks his hammy...I like the Ali guy, the dude from Florida, and still like Flowers.and TJ Clemmings scares me, but I wouldn't mind having him at RT..well, that's what makes this time of the year interesting...Hope to read a bunch of your thoughts in the coming weeks...It is a long off season, especially with this Lakers foolishness going on.....

Not sure what you're asking with the bold.

On Celiscar, it's more than one game for me but that game was a good indicator because of the quality of team he was against. Keep in mind that I think I read somewhere that only like 35% of the targets directed towards him this year were completed. I just like his overall skill-set based on the film I've seen. He's a scrappy kid and a good overall football player. That's what I really value highly...guys that are just naturally good players on the field.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Great stuff! But I agree that Smelters can be had later in the draft, say the 5th anyways. And I assume you released Joseph as well?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great stuff! But I agree that Smelters can be had later in the draft, say the 5th anyways. And I assume you released Joseph as well?

Joseph is a free agent. I'm making sure I get Smelter. Not gambling on it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Foles is gonna be a starter somewhere. He's not going to be brought in to be a backup. He wouldn't stay and for the price you'll have to pay in picks to the Eagles to get him, you need to know he'll sign a long term deal.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
@jrry32 great analysis this year (again) on the whole I'm loving your choices, mine my is different to yours, but I'm in work right now so I can't post it ;), but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Rams fall this way come draft time.

Loving the FA QB situation btw.