Jrry32 NFL Combine Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Strong is one tough sob....

agree about Fuchness

That's absolutely wrong. He never uses his fate-given size, and he's let corners like IEO (who is just under 5'10" and 190 lbs.) run roughshod over him physically. Look at his tape again and tell me that he's anything other than soft. He's basically the wide receiver version of Funchess. All he has is size that he doesn't use and athleticism that he can't utilize properly (I mean, Strong can run a 9 easily, but that's it. And do you really want someone who makes Chris Givens look like Wayne Chrebet?)

Wouldn't touch either one of them. Would rather have Greene, Smelter, Agholor, etc. over those two.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
that Foles trade might happen...

T.J. Clemmings, T, Pittsburgh: 6-4 1/2, 309. Spent three seasons at DE (six starts in 2012) before starting at RT in 2013-'14. "An athlete first," said one scout. "He has the athleticism to start. Just going to take a little bit of time. Still developing his technique, fundamentals and understanding the position." Long arms (35 1/8). Scored 15 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. Turned down offers to play basketball at Providence and Seton Hall.
A.J. Cann, G, South Carolina: 6-3, 313. Started 51 games at LG. "He has size, length, mass, toughs and he's competitive," said one scout. "He'll need a little bit of work in pass pro, and the mental part will scare you a little bit." Two-time captain. Arms were just 32 5/8. "Second round probably," another scout said. "Good player. He's got enough strength and he can move, too."

why draft Smelter in the 3rd when he will be there in the 6th?

curious have your opinion on Strong changed after his solid combine 4.44 40 and 42 vertical?
Jaelen Strong*, WR, Arizona State: 6-2, 217. Junior-college transfer caught 157 passes for 2,287 yards (14.6) and 17 TDs in two seasons for Sun Devils. "(Plays) like his last name," said one scout. "Average to above-average speed. He'll probably play early. His ceiling isn't high, but he's going to be a good, solid, starting wide receiver with good hands. Physical frame. Really good field awareness. Very good in the red zone. Just not a stretch-the-field vertical receiver. More of a short to intermediate type." Ran surprisingly fast (4.44).

Because I don't think Smelter will be there in the 6th. I don't know exactly when he'll go off the board but I'd rather be safe than sorry with him.

My opinion on Strong hasn't changed. The Combine doesn't change my opinion on prospects.

I knew Strong was fast in a straight-line. Issue is that he can't change directions. His best bet in the NFL is carving out a role as a deep threat that can win jump balls because he has no bend to him and absolutely no explosiveness out of his breaks. DBs stick to him like velco on hard angle cuts and speed cuts.

Nobody will complain 3 years from now If he pans out by then, but they certainly will till he does. Just like Quick. Still think the 3rd is way to early for him.

Heh, if they want to, let em. Fans will always find something to complain about. Just the nature of being fans.

Here's the thing... I'm thinking about this...

I think DGB is gonna sink like a stone. As is Sammy Coates. Now, I don't want anything to do with Coates who I think is a slower version of Darius Heyward-Bey... In other words... just no.

But if we get to that 2nd pick in the 2nd round and DGB is still there... I'm REALLY not sure that Fisher will be able to say no to him there and I REALLY think he will be there.

Fans may want him in the first, but several teams (Texans and Eagles) have already outright said he's on their DND list due to character concerns and word is that "the grade" on DBG is rounds 3-5. Which seems like "the league sending a message"... as they do.

Except... As much as Fisher may want to stay on board... if he's there with that 2nd pick in the 2nd round, unless the Rams are also unsatisfied with the character concerns, how do they NOT get him.

Because it's like this. The guy can FLAT OUT BALL. And once the team does the investigation, either he'll be an NFL contributor or a knucklehead. Britt has already shown that he can steer guys right. I mean look at the influence he had on Quick. And Britt would know about almost blowing HIS chance in the league.

If DGB is there, I'd likely take him.

Another edit... I LOVE the Parnell pickup. I totally forgot about him. That's an excellent catch. You're absolutely right that Free went down and that OL didn't skip a beat. Only problem is that Parnell will likely be swamped with suitors. Hopefully, we can nab him...

Hopefully because he's never been a full time starter, it would be enough.

thehammer

Rookie
the combine always changes my opinion of prospects......the more info the better and more accurate my evaluations(hopefully)

watched enough interviews to feel confident that those charcacter issues about Paul Dawson were true...that it looks like he hasn't bothered to workout in a couple of months moves him farther down my draft board..ditto Winston looking like he hadn't done a pushup in weeks

always moving player up or down till last pro day..then pretty much settle with my final 300 ranking

Memento

Name
Jemma
the combine always changes my opinion of prospects......the more info the better and more accurate my evaluations(hopefully)

watched enough interviews to feel confident that those charcacter issues about Paul Dawson were true...that it looks like he hasn't bothered to workout in a couple of months moves him farther down my draft board..ditto Winston looking like he hadn't done a pushup in weeks

always moving player up or down till last pro day..then pretty much settle with my final 300 ranking

Or he could be like Burflict and not be a Combine warrior. The only lackluster stats guy who blew up the Combine and the NFL is Dontari Poe, and he was badly mishandled at Memphis. The Chiefs were actually smart and used him right.

Or did you already forget about how highly you ranked Gholston?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Film trumps all for me.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
They need an "instinsts" test at the combine. I don't care how elaborate it is, would do wonders.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, if Dawson drops, even better for us. That guy is going to be really good on Sundays if his character checks out.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Hey, if Dawson drops, even better for us. That guy is going to be really good on Sundays if his character checks out.

Daaamn. Well, he's not lacking confidence and swagger, that's for sure. I like him already.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
jrry32, I wanted to say thank you for the time and effort you put into your Mocks with the Free agent signings also. I love doing Mocks myself and the research and time to formulate and layout the draft can be very consuming. Your ideas are always a great read.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think trading for Foles makes sense but as Sam's back-up. Like Bradford, Foles is also in the final year of his rookie contract and he is only due to make $660K in 2015 so he would actually be a cheap yet experienced backup (salary-wise). If Bradford proves himself in 2015 then the Rams can let Foles walk. The price of moving back 10 spots in the draft and getting another 4th in the process makes sense if the Rams can acquire a low-risk young vet insurance policy in case Bradford cannot make it through the season. This would go long way in solidifying the 2015 QB picture but with both set to be free agents in next year the QB picture for 2016 and beyond then becomes murky. The cost of moving back however may cost the Rams a shot at much better player especially if a high value pick unexpectedly slides to 10(debatable).

paceram

Pro Bowler
jrry32, I wanted to say thank you for the time and effort you put into your Mocks with the Free agent signings also. I love doing Mocks myself and the research and time to formulate and layout the draft can be very consuming. Your ideas are always a great read.

I really appreciate all your time, opinions and information as well! Thanks!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Trades
St. Louis trades 1st round #10
Philadelphia trades 1st round #20, QB Nick Foles, and 4th round #20

St. Louis trades QB Sam Bradford
Cleveland trades 2nd round #11

St. Louis trades HB Zach Stacy
Indianapolis trades 6th round #29
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!:ROFLMAO: Hate the Trades!!!(n) I especially Hate the Bradford Trade!:ROFLMAO:(n)

FrankenRam

Starter
Last I heard, there were rumors he had a cocaine issue, aways partying and coming in late. We literally know nothing though of why he's not in the NFL.

Well that would certainly turn people off if true. Thanks, I hadn't heard any of that.

thehammer

Rookie
Donald Celiscar might be moved to fs after his workout...4.62 and 4.68 and TCU coach said Dawson wasn't a hard worker..think it showed at the combine

it's one reason why the combine matters....

the combine is an apples to apples comparison for players from different college divisions, different conferences and different years

as a former coach you quickly learn to not trust only just stats...a player from a lower ranked division might have great stats but lack the athleticism to play with the big boys..

at camp I always said Jenkins was the best player at camp till last year..domimated the rams wr's..they couldn't catch anything vs him...problem is you couldn't tell if he was really that great or were the wr's that awful(actually they are)
Jenkins was just the tallest midget in the room...the combine is one way of telling if you are watching real talent or just a tall midget

Memento

Name
Jemma
Donald Celiscar might be moved to fs after his workout...4.62 and 4.68 and TCU coach said Dawson wasn't a hard worker..think it showed at the combine

it's one reason why the combine matters....

the combine is an apples to apples comparison for players from different college divisions, different conferences and different years

as a former coach you quickly learn to not trust only just stats...a player from a lower ranked division might have great stats but lack the athleticism to play with the big boys..

at camp I always said Jenkins was the best player at camp till last year..domimated the rams wr's..they couldn't catch anything vs him...problem is you couldn't tell if he was really that great or were the wr's that awful(actually they are)
Jenkins was just the tallest midget in the room...the combine is one way of telling if you are watching real talent or just a tall midget

If you want an apples to apples comparison, go to the East/West Shrine Game or the Senior Bowl. If you want to look at juniors and red-shirt sophomores, put in their tapes. Much more reliable and accurate than any track-and-field event.

Dawson's tape is all I need to see. He will be a gamer at the next level, much like Burflict is for Cincinnati (I was wrong on Burflict because I judged him on his Combine, and I won't make the same mistake twice.)

And if Jenkins was such a tall midget, then do tell how a guy without "real talent" could completely shut down All-Pro talents such as Green, Jones, and Jeffery in college. Do tell how he could accumulate six defensive touchdowns, thirty-three pass-deflections, seven picks, and almost two-hundred tackles in three years. Guys without real talent don't do that.

Also, our best cornerback, E.J. Gaines? Celiscar does compare very well to him as well as Glover Quin; the only reason I didn't want him in this current mock draft was because there's a need for a Jalston Fowler-type on our team - not because Celiscar is a bad player or cornerback.

thehammer

Rookie
outliers are exactly that outliers....udfa are the worst performers at their pro day and have the worst chance of making a pro team...#1 picks are the best athletes and have the best careers..pretty simple really

had Jake Fisher ranked #34 overall before the combine..now #25. IMO no one who wants to be remotely serious about the draft ignores the combine scores

Celiscar wasn't 1st team SEC and competed against a much lower level of competition...the league they play in matters to most people..Gaines also was injured and didn't compete in the combine and didn't have a chance to get in shape before his pro day..not sure why you brought Gaines name up...

as far as Dawson is concerned jc guy..not the sharpest knife in the drawer and didn't start till halfway through his junior season....red flags everywhere and comes to the combine out of shape... will say really impressed by his play in the the games I've watched( I don't watch tape) but I think the red flags/combine scores actually matter and will ding him in my rankings..think we will have to agree to disagree on how to accurately evaluate prospects..

do want to say I have zero respect for your draft knowledge and you aren't worth my time but the jrry guy really works hard..best advice I can give him is never latch onto players early in the process and never stop evaluating players...like the statute in front of Faber college said..Knowledge is Good

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
outliers are exactly that outliers....udfa are the worst performers at their pro day and have the worst chance of making a pro team...#1 picks are the best athletes and have the best careers..pretty simple really

had Jake Fisher ranked #34 overall before the combine..now #25. IMO no one who wants to be remotely serious about the draft ignores the combine scores

Celiscar wasn't 1st team SEC and competed against a much lower level of competition...the league they play in matters to most people..Gaines also was injured and didn't compete in the combine and didn't have a chance to get in shape before his pro day..not sure why you brought Gaines name up...

as far as Dawson is concerned jc guy..not the sharpest knife in the drawer and didn't start till halfway through his junior season....red flags everywhere and comes to the combine out of shape... will say really impressed by his play in the the games I've watched( I don't watch tape) but I think the red flags/combine scores actually matter and will ding him in my rankings..think we will have to agree to disagree on how to accurately evaluate prospects..

do want to say I have zero respect for your draft knowledge and you aren't worth my time but the jrry guy really works hard..best advice I can give him is never latch onto players early in the process and never stop evaluating players...like the statute in front of Faber college said..Knowledge is Good

Wow you are something. I don't think much of your attitude and I'll say this....Jrry is the best regular dude I've ever seen at evaluating talent and I love his opinions. Won me over last year by touting Aaron Donald and LaMarcus Joyner from the get go. I'll take his draft knowledge over any non professionals any day of the week.