Jenkins tweets disgust with Rams lowball offer?? And other Jenkins negotiation info.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
The amount of cap room the Rams cleared is irrelevant, of course. The cap went up just under 8.4%. The 5th highest paid CB gets just over $10 million currently - so adjusting for cap inflation about $11 million. Is JJ the 5th best CB in the league? He's never made a pro bowl. Not been an all pro, even 2nd team. I haven't noticed any independent analyses that say that he is. He's a good CB, and their offer was for a good CB. More to the point - their offer was just that. In negotiations, the other side is supposed to come back with another, higher offer - not blast the negotiating partner publically and then fire their agent so negotiations have to stop. JJ may end up getting 5/$55 million - in free agency weird things happen. But let's not pretend that cutting off negotiations in the middle and acting insulted means that the Rams were being insulting. It's business. Apparently JJ's agent realized that, and ended up being fired.
==
He's worth it. Rams are willing to franchise TruJo for $14M.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The amount of cap room the Rams cleared is irrelevant, of course. The cap went up just under 8.4%. The 5th highest paid CB gets just over $10 million currently - so adjusting for cap inflation about $11 million. Is JJ the 5th best CB in the league? He's never made a pro bowl. Not been an all pro, even 2nd team. I haven't noticed any independent analyses that say that he is. He's a good CB, and their offer was for a good CB. More to the point - their offer was just that. In negotiations, the other side is supposed to come back with another, higher offer - not blast the negotiating partner publically and then fire their agent so negotiations have to stop. JJ may end up getting 5/$55 million - in free agency weird things happen. But let's not pretend that cutting off negotiations in the middle and acting insulted means that the Rams were being insulting. It's business. Apparently JJ's agent realized that, and ended up being fired.
I wish I could like this one MILLION times.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hey, JJ, it's not a lowball, its a starting point, goof.

Sigh...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
==

FWIW, TruJo had a lower passer rating against than JJ. And nobody expects him to end up playing under the franchise tag, either.

It may not make sense for the Rams to put as much resources as you are advocating into the CB position, since they're pretty good at finding CBs apparently, and they have many other holes. For instance, they may want to put money towards getting a TE who can both block and catch the ball, and maybe a WR or two.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well if he's going with Revis' agents he's out to squeeze every dolla he can. Big surprise eh?

Franchise him IMO. He'll have to perform. Draft his replacement next year. Let Tru walk, all they need to do is keep one of them. Tru worries me a little more than Jenks because he gets dinged up, I think Jenks durability is definitely a bonus in looking at the two of them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
==
Merged this thread with already existing thread on same subject.

And BTW - where are you hearing that the Rams are willing to franchise Tru?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Well if he's going with Revis' agents he's out to squeeze every dolla he can. Big surprise eh?

Franchise him IMO. He'll have to perform. Draft his replacement next year. Let Tru walk, all they need to do is keep one of them. Tru worries me a little more than Jenks because he gets dinged up, I think Jenks durability is definitely a bonus in looking at the two of them.

I disagree! Let JJ walk and keep Tru! JJ gets lost on the field too many time for him to ever be an elite CB, especially one of the highest paid CBs! I'm tired of watching him lose games for us by forgetting his responsibility on plays. W+e have good backups that can take his place and probably be more reliable in coverage.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I disagree! Let JJ walk and keep Tru! JJ gets lost on the field too many time for him to ever be an elite CB, especially one of the highest paid CBs! I'm tired of watching him lose games for us by forgetting his responsibility on plays. W+e have good backups that can take his place and probably be more reliable in coverage.
That's old JJ. Different player last year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$10.75 million of that is the non-guaranteed 6th year, which he will never see.

So it's really 5 years, $52.25.

Now, if JJ had continued negotiations, the Rams might have ended up at that level - but rather than negotiate as is normal in the NFL or any business negotiations (offer, counter-offer, settling somewhere in between) he cut off negotiations, and fired his agent so negotiations would have to start anew.

But again, you seem to be ignoring whether JJ is actually a top 5 CB, when the league certainly doesn't seem to think so, and there is some reason to think he's only 2nd best on the Rams.

Now, if JJ is actually willing to negotiate instead of just blathering on Twitter, maybe he could make more money.

Incidentally, what makes you think that JJ would settle for so little, instead of acting insulted and sending out a tweet.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So you posted this thread to try to get around the merging of the same info?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JjenkzLockdown/status/704119015917133832

This dude kills me, man. Keep it "100" behind doors.

I was a huge fan of this guy and wanted him back, but every day that passes I feel less and less inclined to feel the same way. Between his social media outbursts and poor handle of all his social media accounts, I wouldn't be at all crushed if he left. Offer him 10 mil/year witj strong guarantee and incentives and if he doesn't take it, peace!!

He strikes me as a guy who, after receiving a strong, future contract, will revert back to being a gambling, above average CB. With Tru, it seems he puts in a lot of hard work in the off season to get better and has a strong relationship with the other secondary guys, just from all I've seen on his social media handles.. JJ on the other hand, seems to be a bird that flocks solo and does not really associate with the boys on the team.

And following his IG handle, the guy screams immature and not the brightest bulb.

I feel sorry for the team that overpays for him if he gets anything ore than $10 mil/year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Maxwell is the shining example for teams of what not to do in FA.

Got the big payday and played like shit. Got used and abused frequently.

Teams have to tread carefully in FA.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's old JJ. Different player last year.
Just so you know. The merging is done as a bit of housekeeping. If we have a bunch of threads on one subject, they tend to just move other threads and subjects down and off the first page. We try to encourage people to post to existing threads rather than having multiple threads on the same subject. I have merged several threads about this same topic into this one - not just yours.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JjenkzLockdown/status/704119015917133832

This dude kills me, man. Keep it "100" behind doors.

I was a huge fan of this guy and wanted him back, but every day that passes I feel less and less inclined to feel the same way. Between his social media outbursts and poor handle of all his social media accounts, I wouldn't be at all crushed if he left. Offer him 10 mil/year witj strong guarantee and incentives and if he doesn't take it, peace!!

He strikes me as a guy who, after receiving a strong, future contract, will revert back to being a gambling, above average CB. With Tru, it seems he puts in a lot of hard work in the off season to get better and has a strong relationship with the other secondary guys, just from all I've seen on his social media handles.. JJ on the other hand, seems to be a bird that flocks solo and does not really associate with the boys on the team.

And following his IG handle, the guy screams immature and not the brightest bulb.

I feel sorry for the team that overpays for him if he gets anything ore than $10 mil/year.

I really like JJ's play and think he is a real good CB that we want to keep in horns. IMO - he is not helping his case with either the fans or any team's decision makers. He started making rumblings before the season started. He was grandstanding during a contract year. It seems to me that he was also wearing down toward the end of this season.

If I'm a GM or coach in the NFL, I am looking at his character and wondering how long he remains happy at anything below #1 money. He's good. I just don't see how he makes the case for top 5 good.

Frankly, as good as he is, he is a bit of a liability in the red zone against big TEs and tall receivers. How many times do we have to see a QB simply throw a high fade to beat him? I want him back. At the expense of being able to go after top talent at other positions or keep the likes of Tree or Donald in the future? Not so much.