Jenkins tweets disgust with Rams lowball offer?? And other Jenkins negotiation info.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree, it has nothing to do with age, it's maturity plain and simple and Jenkins has yet to fully grow up and he puts it on display on social media on a regular basis.

FYI there are more Twitter users over 30 than under 30.

If you think that people under 30 find what he did "cool" or "normal" I think you are out of touch. Most people would think (IMO) that he shouldn't have tossed out the tweets he did, it's childish and selfish.

He will go to whatever team pays him the most money, most players do. Rarely does someone take less to stay with a team and Jenkins isn't worth breaking the bank for so the Rams will probably not retain him unless they franchise him while they put plan B in place.

Twitter users by age is irrelevant. There is an old school thought process of keeping thoughts like that "in house" - it's old school. Most players still do that, and that's fine. Some don't, and that's fine too.

I don't think what he did is "cool", I think what he did was his choice, and people bashing him for it is a waste of energy.

I disagree that it's maturity...that's your opinion and it's an old school thought - don't talk about money, don't talk about who you vote for - those are old school thoughts. We don't know the whole situation, so bashing him is ignorant.

And I also disagree that he's not worth it - because we don't know what "it" is yet.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And I also disagree that he's not worth it - because we don't know what "it" is yet.

I saw something posted that said he turned down $45million for 5 years. No idea if its true or not just something I saw.

If that isn't enough the Rams should let him walk his first 4 years' performance puts him in that range, nothing more.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Twitter users by age is irrelevant. There is an old school thought process of keeping thoughts like that "in house" - it's old school. Most players still do that, and that's fine. Some don't, and that's fine too.

I don't think what he did is "cool", I think what he did was his choice, and people bashing him for it is a waste of energy.

I disagree that it's maturity...that's your opinion and it's an old school thought - don't talk about money, don't talk about who you vote for - those are old school thoughts. We don't know the whole situation, so bashing him is ignorant.

Well you are sort of contradicting yourself when you try and draw a distinction between "old school" and "new school" mentalities when it comes to age

Old is defined as "having lived for a long time and are no longer young"

So how can you say Twitter users age is irrelevant?

Isn't that your argument? That old people take offense while young people find it honky dory?

I can argue that your pointing out that Janoris taking to Twitter as being okay is just as much a waste of energy as those of us who are not exactly appreciating all his moves

Okay so Trumaine, Rodney, Barnes, Quick, etc (who are all young and have social media accounts) have not taken to twitter in the way Janoris has, nor have they fired their agent in the middle of negotiations thus ending all negotiations - so isn't the majority keeping that old school mentality as you mention? While only 1 is taking this "just fine" NEW school approach? Which are both framed as okay by you?

Maybe there is no "old school" or "new school" mentality but something more along the lines of being a dick or not being a dick - or better get being professional and respectful as oppose to being perceived as unprofessional and disrespectful

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

You're the one who brought up age not me LOL. I was just pointing out that it isn't a "young v. old" thing. As far as people bashing him for taking contract stuff to the public people are allowed to do that and the majority in any age group would probably think it's out of sorts at least. People are allowed to have an opinion and once you put something on social media you open yourself up to those thoughts and feelings.

Jenkins is an excellent corner, and I want to see him stay with the Rams but if someone is going to pay him 14+MIL like the top few corners make then I hope the Rams let him go because that's just too much money for a guy with his resume. He's not worth top 5 type money IMO. That said there is a real possibility that someone pays him that much.

@Dieter the Brock I'm trying to think of the last time an athlete went onto social media and complained about an offer from a team. I can't think of one........

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Can't say I didn't see this one coming.

It won't surprise me at all if another team gave him what he was asking for and it would shock me me even less if that scenario ended in tragedy.

Either way, for a guy who really got it together during his contract year, it is at least a bit astonishing that he's tweeting like a tit during contract negotiations.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
You're the one who brought up age not me LOL. I was just pointing out that it isn't a "young v. old" thing. As far as people bashing him for taking contract stuff to the public people are allowed to do that and the majority in any age group would probably think it's out of sorts at least. People are allowed to have an opinion and once you put something on social media you open yourself up to those thoughts and feelings.

Jenkins is an excellent corner, and I want to see him stay with the Rams but if someone is going to pay him 14+MIL like the top few corners make then I hope the Rams let him go because that's just too much money for a guy with his resume. He's not worth top 5 type money IMO. That said there is a real possibility that someone pays him that much.

@Dieter the Brock I'm trying to think of the last time an athlete went onto social media and complained about an offer from a team. I can't think of one........

I can't think of one either

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/704306571967406080

Bahahahaha

If this is the case, don't let the door hit ya JJ...

Smdh

Agreed. I would be very upset to see the Rams sign him for 12M. If that is how much he wants, I hope the Rams walk away.

If Jenkins can play at last year's level for more than one season... then the discussion can begin. Until he does that, his body of work in no way warrants being paid at that level. He has done nothing to warrant coming that close to what Sherman, Revis, and Peterson are making. Jenkins is a good - even great - CB. But he isn't the cream of the crop. You could make a decently long highlight reel consisting purely of Jenkins blowing coverage and getting beat with fades and double-moves. I don't think you could say the same about those other 3 CBs. I don't even think you could say it about Trumaine Johnson.

Jenkins has always struck me as very self-confident. Which is good. But it seems he takes it a step too far and vastly overrates himself. No harm in asking for the stars. I would too. But at the same time, most players still realize what their actual value is . With Jenkins it appears he truly believes he is one of the very best in the league. That lack of self-awareness I find troubling, as it makes me question how well he might respond to criticism from the coaching staff (query why it took him so long to finally not bite on every double move).

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Agreed. I would be very upset to see the Rams sign him for 12M. If that is how much he wants, I hope the Rams walk away.

If Jenkins can play at last year's level for more than one season... then the discussion can begin. Until he does that, his body of work in no way warrants being paid at that level. He has done nothing to warrant coming that close to what Sherman, Revis, and Peterson are making. Jenkins is a good - even great - CB. But he isn't the cream of the crop. You could make a decently long highlight reel consisting purely of Jenkins blowing coverage and getting beat with fades and double-moves. I don't think you could say the same about those other 3 CBs. I don't even think you could say it about Trumaine Johnson.

Jenkins has always struck me as very self-confident. Which is good. But it seems he takes it a step too far and vastly overrates himself. No harm in asking for the stars. I would too. But at the same time, most players still realize what their actual value is . With Jenkins it appears he truly believes he is one of the very best in the league. That lack of self-awareness I find troubling, as it makes me question how well he might respond to criticism from the coaching staff (query why it took him so long to finally not bite on every double move).

I agree 100% with all your points, well said, brotha!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Getting thrown tot he ground by Boldin the last game just proved he is no where near elite to me. You have to know Boldin is going to try that kind of BS and he gets away with it so you don't put yourself in that situation. On top of that he doesn't tackle in the open field very well, has a tendency to drop his head and whiff. He might not have been torched like the last two years but that was just because people kept testing TruJo, bad move.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Is there any real information on why JJ fired his agent ? That's way more of a story than some pissing and moaning on twitter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Something tells me Jenkins would consider it to be poor tact if the Rams tweeted he was overpaid every time he gets burned.

LOL, yeah I bet he would be flippin mad. Bravo

We then spend that $10 million on some combo of WR, TE, DE, or LB in FA and then add CB to our draft needs list. Snead has done a great job drafting CB's, and GW and Cecil have done a great job of developing and scheming them.

Yes they could put that money to use elsewhere. Maybe even on another CB.

He strikes me as a guy who, after receiving a strong, future contract, will revert back to being a gambling, above average CB. With Tru, it seems he puts in a lot of hard work in the off season to get better and has a strong relationship with the other secondary guys,

I agree with this. JJ got it together in his contract year. A lot of guys do that. It is deceiving and he would be even richer next year. A lot of guys reached their goals after their first big contract and seem to tail off after that.

His frequent crying on twitter is only going to hurt his value on the open market. For a player that was drafted with apparent character issues, this isn't going to encourage teams to go open the waller.

Exactly. He is not making himself look like he has grown up since his college days and the trouble he was in back then. I don't like his antics. I didn't like the pick because guys with baggage seldom can leave it at the door. They are who they are.

Put JJ's level of play last year on a playoff team, or in a more remevent media market (no offense intended to STL here) and he makes the Pro Bowl. IMO.

Maybe. Depends on which year you are talking about. 2015 JJ yes, 2014 JJ No. He put it together for one year. That is not enough. If he wants to be played like the best corner in the game then he needs to prove that is who he is over more than one season.

There is wisdom in not talking about those things publicly. That is not just a new thing that came about in the last few decades. It is a truth over centuries. So, now it is suddenly just a preference?

If Jenkins can play at last year's level for more than one season... then the discussion can begin.

Again, yes exactly. That is why I said months ago to franchise him and make him prove it. Plus get him in LA where he wants to be and he will be less likely to want to leave after getting settled in there.

Is there any real information on why JJ fired his agent ? That's way more of a story than some pissing and moaning on twitter.

No, but his agent was probably telling him that it was a good offer and he should take it.

I really don't care if he sticks with the Rams. I don't care for his way of doing business nor the fact that it took him 4 years to start playing like he really cares to be part of the team. The Rams can do better IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a lot of you are underrating Jenkins. He's been over TruJo on the depth chart since day 1. He hasn't missed nearly as many games (I think he's only missed the two games this year due to injury in his whole career, and it was a concussion).

Also, Jenkins is all over twitter, so naturally lots of you guys are hating on him. But it seems people are ignoring the fact that the Rams are considering putting the franchise tag on TruJo - which means they aren't close on a contract either.

So set aside your displaced anger for a second and think: if you have two players who are essentially asking for the same amount (either would get $14 million with the franchise tag), who do you take? The better one (according to the coaching staff - #1 on the depth chart) who stays healthy, or the 2nd best one who will miss a few games?

You would take the 2nd guy because the 1st guy puts stuff on twitter?? Or rather, you've convinced yourself that the 2nd guy is actually better because you don't like what the 1st guy does on twitter. Stats are misleading - Jenkins was often covering the better WR for his entire career. I love TruJo. But I still think Jenkins is better.

I'm hoping that the coaching staff franchises the one who is less likely to sign with us soon.

it doesn't matter what we think, only what the rams are thinking.

we can only comment on jenkins acting like a dickhead and tru acting like a professional.

we have no idea what either are after and personally i don't care because i have no control over it. i want the rams to get both of them back but i'm not gonna cry if one of them prices himself out. that's business.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I brought up age for people who are bothered by what JJ did...and it was more just a guess, but one that I think is close to accurate. Most of the posters on here that are outraged by his tweets are probably older. Him doing that just doesn't bother me.

I just want him signed...don't care what he does on twitter. If we were to sign Jenkins to $14 million, I agree it would be too much - but even then 3 years from now he wouldn't even be top 5 anymore.

I think $11 million per year is just right for him, but I'd pay $12 million if it was only a 4 year deal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
we need both CB's signed. that is all
I am in the Rams NEED to sign ONE cadre.......to go with the other 3 young Ram corners all of which have starting experience.

I simply do not see the NEED for killing our future salary cap with BOTH very expensive CB's, none of which are elite or pro bowl material thus far.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO we keep Tru and let JJ go. I think it will be the best for him to move on.

Psycho_X

Legend
Jenkins fired his agent Sunday and it's an NFL rule that he can't hire a new one for at least 5 days so the soonest we can start negotiating again is Friday. Personally, I'd up our offer to him to 5 years/$51 million and call it a wrap if he declines. Then he can test the market and either comes back if no one lavishes him with a top contract or some fool will over pay for him.

What's bugging me more than Jenkins is our inability to sign ANYONE so far. I was really hoping we could get McCleod and/or Barron resigned before free agency. Tru sounds like we won't let walk no matter what with some sort of tag whether franchise or transition.