Jenkins tweets disgust with Rams lowball offer?? And other Jenkins negotiation info.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's my point. Customers always "pay for" the checks. Whether it's Publix, the Rams, or your restaurant. If nobody is buying, there's no business.
And if my employees were being impetuous jerks on Twitter, I would likely lose customers. I would also not think too highly of how my employee holds my business (the team) and its success. The idea that it doesn't matter or shouldn't matter to the coach or team is frankly not based in any kind of business reality.

But that doesn't grant the customer/fans any powers or rights. It doesn't make you or Jenkins accountable to them.(a good business is going to want to make their customers happy but there's nothing forcing them to)

That is a red herring and no one has suggested it does excepting the fans' power to voice their opinion. The very fact that a good business is going to want to make their customers happy is part and parcel to this whole discussion. If a player is conducting himself contrary to the desired image of the team, or in a manner detrimental to the brand, it is counter productive to the ability of the team to do so. Are JJ's tweets all important toward that end? Of course not.

And yes, the fans have nothing at stake in this arrangement. The money will come from the Rams. If the fans aren't happy with the deal, they can choose not to spend their money supporting the Rams.
The fans have everything at stake in this arrangement. It is their fandom that the team is after and what makes the team money. If players ebb away at that fandom, it can hurt the team financially. The team doesn't have to agree with fans on particular points but the team is going to want its fans 100% in its corner as much as they possibly can. Going public with essentially calling the team cheap is detrimental to that end.

As for whether or not a cashier would lose his job, I have no idea. I don't know if Publix would fire an employee for complaining about his wages on twitter.
They almost without a doubt would lose their job as demonstrated by Yelp the other day. It was almost identical to what JJ is pulling here. They fired her and rightfully so for conduct detrimental to the image of their company. Personally, I think Yelp is run by a bunch of sleaze ball extortionists but they were right in this case.

As for your last point, we weren't talking about Jenkins mailing it in. We were talking about Jenkins's twitter habits. As Les pointed out, Jenkins has always been vocal on twitter. This isn't new. Every team that wants him is aware of it (including the Rams).
And I'm still not talking about Jenks mailing it in. Not sure where you got that. I'm talking about how often players will be on their best behavior while playing on the cheap and hoping for that big payday only to either not be worthy of it after the ink dries or feel they are finally able to do what they always wanted cuz now they got the bank roll.

I realize JJ on Twitter is nothing new. You honestly think his twitter history has helped him in the eyes of the NFL check writers? I highly doubt it and this latest crap will only further that distaste. Coaches, GMs, and owners all want talented players. But let's not kid ourselves that they wouldn't pay more for or be more desirous of talent that came with good character. Otherwise players like JJ don't fall to us in the second round. Everyone knew his talent was 1st round worthy. It was his pea brain antics that dropped him. Why do you think his pay or other team's desire to have him join them would be affected any differently? Because he was a semi good boy for 4 years that only got suspended once and is a twitter nightmare? Yeah - I'm sure things like this make coaches and GMs sleep well at night.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fans have everything at stake in this arrangement. It is their fandom that the team is after and what makes the team money. If players ebb away at that fandom, it can hurt the team financially. The team doesn't have to agree with fans on particular points but the team is going to want its fans 100% in its corner as much as they possibly can. Going public with essentially calling the team cheap is detrimental to that end.

The fans have nothing at stake. If the Rams give Janoris $12 million a year, it doesn't affect you in the least. If it ticks you off and you're unhappy about it, you have the option (like any customer) to not support the Rams anymore with your business. The outcome of this doesn't affect you or me in the slightest. Other than possibly pissing us off. But that doesn't mean we have anything at stake in the arrangement. My finances and assets won't be impacted.

I realize JJ on Twitter is nothing new. You honestly think his twitter history has helped him in the eyes of the NFL check writers? I highly doubt it and this latest crap will only further that distaste. Coaches, GMs, and owners all want talented players. But let's not kid ourselves that they wouldn't pay more for or be more desirous of talent that came with good character. Otherwise players like JJ don't fall to us in the second round. Everyone knew his talent was 1st round worthy. It was his pea brain antics that dropped him. Why do you think his pay or other team's desire to have him join them would be affected any differently? Because he was a semi good boy for 4 years that only got suspended once and is a twitter nightmare? Yeah - I'm sure things like this make coaches and GMs sleep well at night.

I think in the grand scheme of things, it's minuscule. JJ didn't fall to the 2nd round because of twitter antics. Twitter antics won't stop a team from signing him. If there's anything we've learned, it's that NFL teams will pay for talent. Guys with far worse issues have gotten paid handsomely because they had talent. JJ has talent. He's stayed out of real trouble since he entered the league. It's an extremely minor issue.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
giphy.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Twitter antics won't stop a team from signing him. If there's anything we've learned, it's that NFL teams will pay for talent
Everybody knows that and every other point outside of the fact that he's handling it unprofessionally is a red herring. You can't logically argue that he's handling this professionally. Because he's not. It IS a minor issue, as you said, but that doesn't make it a smooth move on his part either. Calling out the Rams in what is a normal negotiation process on social media is dumb. There's just no way around it. It's dumb. Whether it's the norm for this generation or not doesn't make it *not* dumb.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everybody knows that and every other point outside of the fact that he's handling unprofessionally is a red herring. You can't logically argue that he's handling this professionally. Because he's not. It IS a minor issue, as you said, but that doesn't make it a smooth move on his part either. Calling out the Rams in what is a normal negotiation process on social media is dumb. There's just no way around it. It's dumb. Whether it's the norm for this generation or not doesn't make it *not* dumb.

What's "professional" and "unprofessional" tends to differ across the wide spectrum of jobs and industries. I wouldn't consider this sort of thing unprofessional for a NFL player.

And I don't agree that it's dumb.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well he did tweet a few days ago that he would see us in LA until further notice.

This is what the further notice means. That there may be no deal.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The fans have nothing at stake. If the Rams give Janoris $12 million a year, it doesn't affect you in the least. If it ticks you off and you're unhappy about it, you have the option (like any customer) to not support the Rams anymore with your business. The outcome of this doesn't affect you or me in the slightest. Other than possibly pissing us off. But that doesn't mean we have anything at stake in the arrangement. My finances and assets won't be impacted.
I really think you are ignoring the reality and trying to stick to some sort of dollar and cents version of a stake. Fans have years invested in being fans of a team. They have money in tickets and TV invested. They have emotion invested that is often more valuable to them than money. They have family times and memories invested. A player being a jackass tarnishes that fandom and in your kind of terms, takes away value. For the fans - football is not about money for the most part. Their stake is the emotion and memories from being a fan of a team.

For the teams, football is mostly about money. If fan interest in the players falls or if players piss off the fan base, that can affect the business of the teams. In the end, the fan base stake is emotion while the team stake is finances based on those emotions.

If the beach a few miles from my house was suddenly filthy, it wouldn't affect my finances or assets. But I wouldn't be frequenting it anymore and that would negatively affect everything relying on that nice beach that people like to play on, have picnics, and family outings. Fans of that beach would stop spending money and they would no doubt be vocal about their displeasure. Acting like they shouldn't say anything is a very odd notion.

The ability to attract other players can also be negatively affected by this kind of BS tactic. That negatively affects the team.

The outcome of JJ signing or not, of players' perception of my team, of fan excitement about the players affects me and every other fan of the team. We want the best players on our team and we want players that we are proud to cheer for.

The idea that none of this matters is like saying that player conduct is a non-issue. Wrong.

I think in the grand scheme of things, it's minuscule. JJ didn't fall to the 2nd round because of twitter antics. Twitter antics won't stop a team from signing him. If there's anything we've learned, it's that NFL teams will pay for talent. Guys with far worse issues have gotten paid handsomely because they had talent. JJ has talent. He's stayed out of real trouble since he entered the league. It's an extremely minor issue.

Actually, JJ did fall allegedly due to some of his social media crap among other things. No one is saying this twitter BS is the biggest issue in the negotiations. Just because a fan voices his displeasure at what JJ tweeted, doesn't raise it to that level in their eyes either. The very idea that JJ can tweet this crap and fans shouldn't be free to react negatively to it is laughable. You saying X has no business making his comments is just odd.

The guy took to Twitter to call out our team for allegedly trying to lowball him. That is simply punk ass shit. Why have an agent? JJ is not handling the negotiation. He's only making himself out the punk and trying to make the team look bad so that they will buckle to his demands. That affects me as a fan. That takes value away from my view of him as a player. Teams are in it to get as many fans as possible - not to piss them off and make them want to cheer for players of other teams.

I remember when the Trail Blazers were referred to as the Trail Gangstas. They were bringing in punks with talent. The fans started staying away from games, the local businesses started pulling their ads, and the team started to implode from within from a bunch of me first punks.

Just because JJ's antics were done on Twitter, they are not new. This is not the way business is going to be conducted in the future or to be accepted by those that pay the bills. It may not be a huge deal in how it affects his contract. But I can almost guarantee that it will affect it negatively at least to some extent.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this has about run its course. Enjoy the rest of your night. (y)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How is the agent leaking to the media any different? Because the player didn't have the balls to do it himself?

They don't meet in person.

I don't think coaches or FOs care. They want a talented player. This sort of thing won't bother them in the slightest. He's not reffing a fight between his girlfriend and baby mama. He's not getting popped for weed or a DUI. He's not getting into bar fights. Nobody will care. Teams that want him will not be deterred by a negotiating ploy.

He's doing the same thing Travis Benjamin did when his agent leaked that the contract negotiations broke down and that Benjamin was prepared to go to FA. Shifting the blame to the team for a deal not getting done to put pressure on the team to raise their offer.

But, how does that shift the blame? It's two sides negotiating a contract. Is it supposed to shift the blame in the fans eyes? I doubt Demoff gives a shit. I don't see it as some power move that will gain him any leverage. These things get done away from the social eye. So, much for JJs 'migos

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Dont do it Jenkins... we got something good going here on defense.

I'll remove you from my name title real quick.
That should make him think twice.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the differences here could probably be broken down by age. Does anyone 30 years of age or younger think there is something wrong with what Jenkins did?

As people in his generation, it's easier for us to identify with him....which gives more credence to our opinions in this situation.

But take that away for a second. This is what he chose to do, because he ultimately thinks it will get him more money. I don't think that he did it with any bad intentions at all, otherwise he would have been more descriptive. A good chunk of the Rams fan base have never really liked Jenkins. I remember the outrage on boards when his rookie year he was suspended for a game for missing curfew.

The players really have no control in the NFL other than the contract they agree to, and even then it can be ended at any time. That Jenkins was frustrated with the offer is actually a good thing - means he wants to be a Ram. So what's better? Him voicing his frustration and ultimately signing with the Rams, or him keeping silent and then walking? For those of you that have never liked Jenkins, I already know the answer. It's a new generation now and you need to accept that. Twitter posts like this are now the new norm. And whether you like it or not, the reality is that the NFL loves it....Twitter is just another way to engage the fans and create new fans of the NFL.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So what's better? Him voicing his frustration and ultimately signing with the Rams, or him keeping silent and then walking?
This is a fairly decent point IMO. However, I am a big time Jack Rabbit fan and have defended him multiple times but I totally disagree with him doing this on Twitter. While you may be correct that younger fans don't have a problem with it. I would bet that it doesn't simply cut along age lines. My son is 22 and he thinks it was just dumb.

And Twitter posts like this aren't actually the norm. There are a few doing it but not many from what I see. I also watched an interview yesterday with Cruz. They tried to get him to discuss details of the negotiations and he simply wouldn't do it. IMO - he handled it correctly. Has he tweeted details? Not from what I have seen. Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see either of the other "migos" doing it. I don't see ANY of our other FAs doing it.

It's not like I am looking for reasons to bag on our #1 CB. I'd much rather be in the position of defending his actions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is a fairly decent point IMO. However, I am a big time Jack Rabbit fan and have defended him multiple times but I totally disagree with him doing this on Twitter. While you may be correct that younger fans don't have a problem with it. I would bet that it doesn't simply cut along age lines. My son is 22 and he thinks it was just dumb.

And Twitter posts like this aren't actually the norm. There are a few doing it but not many from what I see. I also watched an interview yesterday with Cruz. They tried to get him to discuss details of the negotiations and he simply wouldn't do it. IMO - he handled it correctly. Has he tweeted details? Not from what I have seen. Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see either of the other "migos" doing it. I don't see ANY of our other FAs doing it.

It's not like I am looking for reasons to bag on our #1 CB. I'd much rather be in the position of defending his actions.
Agree, and I'm not trying to bag on him either. If I say (that I think) something is stupid, it doesn't mean I'm judging the person and calling him stupid. Merely his actions. To me, it struck me immediately as him being a jerkoff to the Organization that took a chance on him, drafted him, and helped him to develop/hone his talents to a peak level that's allowing him to now renegotiate at a higher salary. And how does he repay that time/development and faith in him and his talents? By essentially saying, "Pshhh - the fuck outta here with that nonsense." That's not just unprofessional, but it's also disrespectful. His agent should have at least told him that this was a process and that there would be a lot of back and forth during the process. Now if he wasn't talking about his contract at all, then I'll publicly apologize to him. Because, really, who the hell knows what he's talking about on there half the time. lol. As far as anyone calling me out for taking him to task? Find a way to deal with it. If he wants to hang his laundry out on a wire, then I'm gonna stop and comment on how it looks.

That's how this internet thing works.

Psycho_X

Legend
He's been pretty quiet since then. Here are the only two he's tweeted since in the last couple hours. Still vague tweets that seem to be regarding his contract.... I think. Bleh, it's the slow part of the offseason. We got to talk about what we can lol.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Just as I'm sure there will be a few older people that were okay with it. I still think that by and large, age will kind of define your stance on this.

My other point (which I don't think applies to you and X) about Rams fans finding something to complain about with Jenkins since he got here is valid IMO. Doesn't apply to everyone, but if we took that bias away, I believe what we'd be left with is a few people who were legitimately irritated by his actions, as is their right to be. In the same line of thought, it's his right to put that on Twitter. If I was up for a promotion or raise and I posted that on Twitter, as long as I didn't put my companies name (which he didn't), there would be absolutely nothing wrong with it. That's my stance on it. Would I have done what he did? Not sure....but I believe that in his mind, this route will lead him to more money - so who am I to fault him for it?

We all tend to be sensitive to situations like this because these guys are making millions - but the truth is, they should be trying to get every penny they can from these owners. It's what I would do. And he knows that if he hit the open market he'd be a hot commodity, so I'm sure he felt offended by a low offer. And then after all that, he might just be a passionate guy and felt he had to get that out there. I'm not going to judge him for it, primarily because I'm not him and I don't know what this situation is like for him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jenks will be franchised regardless, so he's going nowhere. Of the two he is correct, his durability matters. Rams will prioritize him over Tru, of that I have no doubt.

Sad thing here is I'd like to see the Rams get him signed so they can use the tag on Tru and if necessary sign/trade him to another team. Give them one additional round 1 pick in exchange for Tru and they're in business since they draft the position so well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
since they draft the position so well.
They really do. That was evidenced their first draft, too.
Had Morris Claiborne sitting right there and said, 'Yeah, no thanks. Someone want this dud?"
And along came the Cowboys...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Not sure how relevant this is but the "supporters" of Liverpool reacted to ticket price increases with a walk out and managed to get Fenway Inc or whatever to freeze ticket prices -- somehow the idea of a supporter of the team carries weight and smart organizations listen to the "fans" and get on with it - while totally blind owners like Venky's with Blackburn just see their team relegated into the depths of league 1

This shite don't happen in a vacuum
image.jpg
image.jpg

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Wow Tru sure is missing out, not taking to Twitter and all. Janoris is going to get all the money!