Jared Goff 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you make a good point BUT learning a new system, playbook and game speed? panic mode goes away with comfort, confidence and knowledge. Time will increase comfort, confidence and knowledge.
Comfort, confidence and knowledge are earned from doing not watching. You won't get used to the game speed watching from the sidelines. You won't get comfortable with your WR/TE group watching somebody else throw to them. You won't get confidence they'll catch your passes by watching somebody else throw to them.

fearsomefour

Legend
Winston was 23 of 47, with 0 TD and 2 INT, and a 52 rating in the preseason last year. Was he ready?

He went on to have a pretty good rookie year.

With Goff's 33 pass attempts in the preseason, I can't conclude if he's ready or not.

Statistically, like Winston's preseason, I'd say "no".

Goff's mechanics, however, don't look too far off. Combine that with his physical attributes and I'm not seeing as big of gap (from Keenum) as others do. Particularly the media who just watch highlights.
I don't care about preseason stats. It's why I haven't mentioned them for either QB.
He certainly has progressed in two weeks in terms of comfort in the pocket. That is a huge plus. It has surprised me a bit, most guys take a long time.
I'm not down on him at all. I'm excited about his future. But, I want to win game 1 on the road.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Comfort, confidence and knowledge are earned from doing not watching. You won't get used to the game speed watching from the sidelines. You won't get comfortable with your WR/TE group watching somebody else throw to them. You won't get confidence they'll catch your passes by watching somebody else throw to them.

I'm with you Oldschool..... If the O-Line is keeping Goff relatively clean at Minnesota this Thursday, Fisher better leave his skinny California ass in the game for as many snaps as possible.

We know what Keenum and Mannion can do so for heavens sake let franchise get all the extra reps in this last preseason contest.

Obviously he needs every extra live game snap he can get and for me, this next game is more important for him than the last 3 games.

vikings_VS_Rams.jpg

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Is anyone else even mildly concerned about Goff's durability? I'm usually not one to worry about injury stuff, it is a part of the game. But Goff has left 2 of 3 preseason games due to an injury. It's probably him and Fisher being cautious, but he's being taken out in preseason, he's already playing in limited snaps. Could he play a full 16 games?

He didnt leave either game due to injury, he finished his drives, then Fisher chose not to put him back in. Big difference.

…..

Legend
i think we should all quit worrying about when or if he starts. There should be NO timetable. We should pull back and let the transition happen at its own pace.

Keenum will start the year and the Rams will win a few and lose a few. We'll be encrusted into Jeff Fishers 7-9 Bullshit until Keenum has a bit of a slump and Goff begins to see the world alittle better. At that point in time I expect us to be anywhere between 2-4 to 4-2....its really a crapshoot because we dont know what this team can do with the entire offense playing together. Fisher has hidden the gems this pre season. It is what it will be. We'll see Goff when Keenum and the won/loss record shows a little slump. We wont see Goff if Keenum is undeafeted. Pretty simple stuff.

I know one thing, I'm tired of people here trying to convince us that Goff is the answer NOW. That is not the case in my opinion. THAT is 7-9 Bullshit too.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i think we should all quit worrying about when or if he starts. There should be NO timetable. We should pull back and let the transition happen at its own pace.

Keenum will start the year and the Rams will win a few and lose a few. We'll be encrusted into Jeff Fishers 7-9 bullcrap until Keenum has a bit of a slump and Goff begins to see the world alittle better. At that point in time I expect us to be anywhere between 2-4 ro 4-2....its really a crapshoot because we dont know what this team can do with the entire offense playing together. Fisher has hidden the gems this pre season. It is what it will be. We'll see Goff when Keenum and the won/loss record shows a little slump. We wont see Goff if Keenum is undeafeted. Pretty simple stuff.

I know one thing, I'm tired of people here trying to convince us that Goff is the answer NOW. That is not the case in my opinion. THAT is 7-9 bullcrap too.
So if we're destined to be 7-9 either way, then why on earth wouldn't you start Goff?

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Red Alert: Duke Williams, Michael Thomas and Hemingway, all had prolific pre-season/training camp drops. Fisher said of the drops. "If guys continue to drop the football, they can't play."

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Funny how it seems to have worked for Mannion.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? You think Mannion was good last night or in week 1 he threw good balls? He was bailed out a lot by Spruce and Hemingway in week 1 and looked horrible last night.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think it's pretty clear he won't start at all this year, unless Keenum implodes or gets injured.

Here's a better question IMO...

Say we're 4-4 or 5-3 at mid season. We have a real shot at the playoffs but need strong play in the second half of the season.

But Keenum gets injured.

In that scenario, with that record, do they go with Goff or Mannion? At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Mannion got the nod. If the Rams are out of it at that point, then you definitely go with Goff. But if the playoffs are in reach, in seems Mannion might be more game-day ready at this point .
If we're 6-2 at the half-way mark and Goff isn't in their yet, I don't know when we'll see him in their!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also if you think about it for a second the discussion is getting those things I listed with the 1st team. When has Mannion thrown to the 1st team? Right I rest my case.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't care about their stats in preseason,...certainly not Goffs.
He made strides in terms of comfort in the pocket bs Denver. That is no small thing.
The onus of the disagreement is this....I think the team can win with Keenum. So, you play to win now and develop him. If I thought the team could not win with Keenum, then I would start Goff day 1.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Really? You think Mannion was good last night or in week 1 he threw good balls? He was bailed out a lot by Spruce and Hemingway in week 1 and looked horrible last night.

What i'm saying is that Mannion was able to use time on the bench to get better acquainted with the playbook, reads, pocket awareness, NFL speed, level of competition, etc.
Mannion was 18 for 25 in that first game, with a QB rating of 109.5 along with 3 TD's. And he looked comfortable while doing it. Last night against Denver, none of our QB's were particularly effective. Just saying, time on the bench doesn't have to hurt ones development. Goff is coming along nicely, but he isn't ready to start at this very moment, maybe just a few more weeks, we'll have to see.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He didnt leave either game due to injury, he finished his drives, then Fisher chose not to put him back in. Big difference.
Ok, yeah. But either way you put it, he played much less then expected due to an injury. In two-thirds of his playing time. Is Fisher going to choose not to put him back in when he becomes the starter?

Last edited:

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Ok, yeah. But either way you put it, he played much less then expected. In two-thirds of his playing time. Is Fisher going to choose not to put him back in when he becomes the starter?
I think this is the week where Goff continues to play all of his reps even if he is hurting a little. If Keenum is starting week one - like Fisher said and like the majority of us are saying - Goff will have a couple weeks to recover anyways (unless Keenum goes down). Fisher has to cut the umbilical cord at some point and let Goff play. The sooner, the better IMO.

I'm just a little curious about the game against the Vikings. I can't imagine the first team players would stay in the game for very long on Thursday as they're more concerned with finding out whose got what it takes to make it in this league. How many drives do you think Keenum gets with the first team? Do they let Keenum have a drive or two, then let Goff have a drive with the ones?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think this is the week where Goff continues to play all of his reps even if he is hurting a little. If Keenum is starting week one - like Fisher said and like the majority of us are saying - Goff will have a couple weeks to recover anyways (unless Keenum goes down). Fisher has to cut the umbilical cord at some point and let Goff play. The sooner, the better IMO.

I'm just a little curious about the game against the Vikings. I can't imagine the first team players would stay in the game for very long on Thursday as they're more concerned with finding out whose got what it takes to make it in this league. How many drives do you think Keenum gets with the first team? Do they let Keenum have a drive or two, then let Goff have a drive with the ones?
I agree completely with cutting the cord. I get protecting him, but that is mainly leading to my concern. He's taken a few hits, albeit a few good ones, and he's getting pulled because he's a little dinged up. He needs to play against opposing teams. I say sit Keenum, Goff needs the experience, and we need to protect Keenum.