Jared Goff 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've changed my mind. Although i don't mind case starting for 2 or 3 games I'd rather see goff start from the opening whistle week 1. He can make all the throws, he just needs wrs that can catch them. The 2nd team wrs aren't it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Case Keenum went 3-2. Big whoop.
Shaun Hill started 3-2, Nick Foles 4-3. The difference? They played more games after. Keenums bus was leaking oil after the San Fran game and had he started more games after? Yeah I don't think he'd be the "gives us the best chance to win" guy that is thrown around.
Water under the bridge as the opportunity for Goff to play with the 1's in game action has passed. Now Goff will get to play under adverse circumstance. He'll primarily work with the 2's and when Keenum gets hurt and/or plays poorly, Goff will get thrown in there.
Just ugh

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Goff's gonna be fine.
Defense will be awesome.
Starting offensive line will solidify.
And Ram Wide Receivers will drop balls! Oh, and one other thing.
Rams will start slow outta of gate...

Why? Jeff Fisher doesn't prepare his team to win as fast as the rest of the NFL. Hardknocks proves what I've always suspected. Jeff Fisher's Training camp is littered with numerous fun activities such as lollygagging around the pool. How much valuable time was spent figuring out Duke Williams was Football Gripping Champ?

Want a model of 7-9 Bullcrap consistency? Jeff Fisher's Rams have started four seasons in a row with a 1-2 record!

Face it Ram Fans.
Jeff Fisher handicaps the Rams just as assuredly as they handicap racing horses. And like those horses, Fisher's Sacrificial Rams will start slow outta of the gate because of the Deadly Fisher Handicap!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I thought Smith got injured and Kaep was forced into action?

Yes but Smith was cleared to played after 2 weeks. Smith was cleared to play against the Rams in week 12. The Niners went with Kap. But yes you are right the door opened because of injury

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jared Goff - QB - Rams
Jared Goff suffered a bruised tailbone in Saturday's preseason game.

His X-rays, which were deemed precautionary, came back negative. Goff had another rough night Saturday against the Broncos, completing just 4-of-12 passes for an underwhelming 45 yards and no touchdowns. He's looked surprisingly fragile and clearly isn't ready to take the reigns as L.A.'s starting quarterback. Considering what the Rams gave up for him (and who's ahead of him on the depth chart), Goff's play this preseason has been a major disappointment.

per rotoworld.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I feel like there's this false narrative choice that's being presented out here right now: either Keenum is good enough to take us to the playoffs or we start Goff day one and let him take his lumps for long term growth (you only learn by playing in games theory). I find that binary thought process to be defeating (possibly for Goff ;)

My hunch is Keenum would have a hard time taking us to the playoffs. My hunch is that while many rookie QBs do benefit from starting on day one (especially now that they're are fewer practice reps available after the most recent CBA), some QBs are broken that way. What I feel like I saw from Goff was a guy who's head was spinning and thinking too much. What I don't want to see from him is a guy who's too hesitant or too one dimensional who ends up getting his confidence crushed from boneheaded plays and intercepted passes... Not too mention a guy who's internal clock gets destroyed because he's too slow to process coverages and gets sacked numerous times. I do not want him to get "staring at the pass rush syndrome." All this leads me to believe that he'll benefit from sitting for 4-6 games. I do not think he should sit the whole season but I do feel he shouldn't be forced to start game one just because it's one - and only one! - way to develop a QB. I do not want to get stuck in a sunk cost fallacy with him either thinking he has to start because we mortgaged the future for him.

Athos

Legend
Honestly, the entire passing attack looks behind the eight ball so far. Keenum Barry avoided a handful of picks when he was in the game. Goff avoided a pick 6. Mannion was mediocre.

The pass-catchers were mediocre again, dropping easy to medium difficulty balls.

Goff again played with the scrub Oline and got knocked the fuck up on a free blitzer no one picked up.

Looked bad.

What I did notice was that Goff has the best arm talent on the team. No surprise. I saw a few wet noodle sideline throws by Keenum. Enough to be worried if he can really average at least 220 yards in the air and I'm not taking about garbage yards from playing behind.

The drops are why is rather just start Goff. there's just a lot of expectation to put on really young WRs. I say develop Goffs chemistry with them. The Rams will be playing for next year imo.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
1. What's best for the team in 2016?
2. What is best for Goff's development over the next decade?

This is the balance to try to find. One might argue that Goff only develops if he is playing - but I'm not sure that's true.

If I had to choose between 1 and 2 And there were no balance to find I would probably choose 2. Years 2-10 are more important than year 1. This is true even though the Rams are otherwise built to win now.

I'm just not sure that sitting is really stunting Goff's growth. I don't think throwing him out there would hurt him - he seems mentally tougher than that - but I do think there are things to learn from the bench.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
It's obvious to me that Goff is not ready yet. I realize he has waaaaay more arm talent than Case and a much higher ceiling, but I hope he sits.

I sincerely hope Keenum plays good enough so that we have a winning season and make the playoffs--realistic attainable goals. Goff can win the job next year and take us to the promised land (y)
Goff is clearly not ready yet and there is no shame in that. Sitting for a year, gaining 10-15 lbs of muscle and learning to play under center would, imo, increase his chances of having a multiple pro-bowl career like we're all hoping. He got dinged up in 2 of the 3 games he played already, a trial by fire is not necessary.

jap

Legend
1. What's best for the team in 2016?
2. What is best for Goff's development over the next decade?

This is the balance to try to find. One might argue that Goff only develops if he is playing - but I'm not sure that's true.

He can develop while playing after he reaches a critical point. He has to reach a certain comfort level with the speed, strength, savvyness, and intensity of the pro game, and I am not confident he's quite there yet, although I feel he can get there soon.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The issue of "readiness to play" isn't on Goff. The list of recent qb to play right away as rookies, and well at that, is an indictment of how he was handled more than any inability of his.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Either I have completely lost it as an arm chair evaluator or a lot of my fellow Rams brothers here are selling Keenum way short

i only wish the Rams had him locked into a multi year deal, that way when he lights it up this year we'd benefit from a nice trade to a QB starved team

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Is anyone else even mildly concerned about Goff's durability? I'm usually not one to worry about injury stuff, it is a part of the game. But Goff has left 2 of 3 preseason games due to an injury. It's probably him and Fisher being cautious, but he's being taken out in preseason, he's already playing in limited snaps. Could he play a full 16 games?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Whether or not my opinion is popular, Keenum is 7-9 bullcrap to me. The team went 3-2 against the soft part of our schedule last year with him. The only game where he played particularly well was the Tampa Bay game. We know what Keenum is. He's a game manager. He's not going to elevate this offense or this team. Goff's development will pay dividends this year and for the next decade. Fisher's career has been consistent 7-9/8-8 bullcrap because he consistently plays limited vets over talented rookies. This is yet another example of that.

It's depressing to me that we've wasted so many opportunities to develop Goff before the regular season has started and will continue to do that.

The 2016 Rams are a playoff caliber team. Maybe Keenum can get there. Maybe he can't. But I can tell you this, Goff is the type of guy that can take us all the way. Keenum isn't imo.

Yeah, I think that is unfortunately true. But they might be concerned it would be worse with Goff until he learns the nuances of playing in the NFL. Fisher is between a rock and a hard place. Keenum can only carry you so far. Goff is capable of carrying you much further. But in the meantime he's going to get you stuck in the mud until he figures out how to pull you out. Keenum's gotta be the starter for now. I'd like to say he's earned it but its more a case of Goff hasn't taken it yet.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am firmly of the opinion, and I've shared it before, either you have it or you don't as a QB.

Playing them early has little to do with success, or not.

David Carr didn't have it. Neither did Tim Couch, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, or Blaine Gabbert. List other names here.

The good ones are tough enough mentally to play early and overcome any struggles. The ones that don't, weren't going to make it anyway.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't know what would have changed. They both threw about 2 or 3 passes that could have been picked. They both looked themselves for the most part.
Goff really did a good job of sitting in the pocket and not taking off....there are guys who have been in the league for years who don't do that (Foles).
Goff has ability for sure, but, how anyone can think he is ready to start is beyond me.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Goff clearly need more time. I'd rather see him sit, learn, and come in confident. Putting him in now, exposing him to injury, not a good idea. Goff will be able to make better decisions if given time to develop.

My thoughts, at this point? Damn, we gave up a lot of capital for that pick and it better pan out.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I am firmly of the opinion, and I've shared it before, either you have it or you don't as a QB.

Playing them early has little to do with success, or not.

David Carr didn't have it. Neither did Tim Couch, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, or Blaine Gabbert. List other names here.

The good ones are tough enough mentally to play early and overcome any struggles. The ones that don't, weren't going to make it anyway.

you make a good point BUT learning a new system, playbook and game speed? panic mode goes away with comfort, confidence and knowledge. Time will increase comfort, confidence and knowledge.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Goff's time is now!!!
The dude is tough and he is making good reads - it's night and day compared when watching him compared to Keenum

Imagine what Goff could do with the first team. It would have been at worst Keenum-esque and at best we'd have been up by 3 at half-time

If the point is not to play Goff this year don't play him at all as oppose to letting him get murdered by offensive lineman who won't be on the team tomorrow

Goff's stats should be tossed out the window when you got guys like Duke dropping a perfect pass

At this point Goff needs to be playing with our first team. You don't buy a high-end performance race car and had your twelve year old the keys.

Enough of this 7-9 bullshit

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
how anyone can think he is ready to start is beyond me.

Winston was 23 of 47, with 0 TD and 2 INT, and a 52 rating in the preseason last year. Was he ready?

He went on to have a pretty good rookie year.

With Goff's 33 pass attempts in the preseason, I can't conclude if he's ready or not.

Statistically, like Winston's preseason, I'd say "no".

Goff's mechanics, however, don't look too far off. Combine that with his physical attributes and I'm not seeing as big of gap (from Keenum) as others do. Particularly the media who just watch highlights.