Jake Says We're Getting Jonathon Taylor... [UPDATE: TAYLOR SIGNS EXTENSION WITH COLTS]

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta disagree with that. We haven't spent premium resources on the OL, outside of Avila and Whitworth. Alaric Jackson was a steal as a UDFA. David Edwards was a really nice pick in the Fifth Round. Noteboom has been solid for where he was taken. Evans was a bust. Bruss was a bust. Allen has been okay enough. Coleman Shelton has been a steal. Corbett was a steal in a trade. I'd say we're doing better than most considering the resources we've spent.
One good player one rookie who's good so far and a stable of busts or average players. Of those two good guys only one here. Some of the picks had potential or had a good year or two true. But where are we now?

Jackson has shown flashes but twice he's been given the starting LT job and been injured. If he'd played more than 9 games in the last year plus maybe he'd be a steal, he's got to stay healthy to earn that title.

Allen was adequate yet most everybody here was dying to upgrade him and he's also been injured a lot.

Noteboom the same as Allen

Edwards could probably be called above average but had 1 full season in 4 years with us. And he's gone.

Shelton has had a decent season but also has only played one full season.

Big Rob at RT has been our most consistent OL outside of Whitworth and I won't complain about him but we all know he has his flaws. But he's a captain and he's been the healthiest but even he will usually miss a game or two other than sitting week 17.

We had one good free agent signing one good draft pick and a bunch of guys that were adequate but never good enough to keep around for another contract. I get that isn't all on them and is a lot on our roster building model we went through but looking over the last few years aside from our Super Bowl year our lines were just league average. Not something to aspire to but yes it could be worse.

oldnotdead

Legend
When people say Taylor wants to be paid they ignore what he actually said. He wants McCaffery type money. The Rams were willing to trade for Burns and he would have cost way more. McCaffery is getting $16M/yr on the contract but the cap hit is $14M due to void years. The Rams paid Ramsey a hell of a lot more than Taylor wants yet his impact to the offense would be as dramatic as Ramsey's was to the defense.

Elite talents aren't often on the market. Snead would be remiss if he at least didn't inquire. Also, the market for RBs is down, so there is a likelihood that he could be gotten for perhaps a 2nd and 3rd (spread over 2 years). I wouldn't give up their first either and I don't think they will get 1's even if they tried with others.

Forget Jake, all he's doing is parroting what others have been saying for a few weeks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One good player one rookie who's good so far and a stable of busts or average players. Of those two good guys only one here. Some of the picks had potential or had a good year or two true. But where are we now?
Bro, when you're spending late Day 2 and Day 3 picks on them, that's what you're going to get. We're probably batting above the average for the picks we're using.
Jackson has shown flashes but twice he's been given the starting LT job and been injured. If he'd played more than 9 games in the last year plus maybe he'd be a steal, he's got to stay healthy to earn that title.
When a UDFA appears to be a legit starter at LT, you're doing well.
Allen was adequate yet most everybody here was dying to upgrade him and he's also been injured a lot.

Noteboom the same as Allen
But look at where they were drafted.
Edwards could probably be called above average but had 1 full season in 4 years with us. And he's gone.
Again, look at where he was drafted.
Shelton has had a decent season but also has only played one full season.
Same point.
We had one good free agent signing one good draft pick and a bunch of guys that were adequate but never good enough to keep around for another contract. I get that isn't all on them and is a lot on our roster building model we went through but looking over the last few years aside from our Super Bowl year our lines were just league average. Not something to aspire to but yes it could be worse.
This is like being upset that after spending a bunch of day 3 picks on QBs, you only landed a solid starter and a good backup. We haven't spent a lot of resources on the OL. For the resources we've spent, we're doing well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bro, when you're spending late Day 2 and Day 3 picks on them, that's what you're going to get. We're probably batting above the average for the picks we're using.

When a UDFA appears to be a legit starter at LT, you're doing well.

But look at where they were drafted.

Again, look at where he was drafted.

Same point.

This is like being upset that after spending a bunch of day 3 picks on QBs, you only landed a solid starter and a good backup. We haven't spent a lot of resources on the OL. For the resources we've spent, we're doing well.
I'm not upset at anything. I can't count Jackson as a good find unless he can stay healthy when he hasn't. Also look at what I said that you initially quoted me.

I don't think we've failed at all with the rb's I think we've failed with our offense and our Offensive line drafting.

We could have addressed it better but we failed to do so. From all of those picks since McVay came here we have 1 draft pick as a backup and two UDFA starting the rest are gone. Bruss you yourself called a bust. Anchrum floats between our 2nd and 3rd string RG. The only day 2 draft picks on the OL are Noteboom and Evans. Most of the day 3 picks are gone. We have had more success if you want to call it that with UDFA.

I'm not upset about anything but I wouldn't call what we've done a success on the OL outside of the free agent signing of Whitworth and so far the drafting of Avila.

We've spent years trading back to accumulate more picks and done that well after trading our higher picks for players at the top of the roster. This has brought home a Lombardi and Snead and McVay forever will be great in my eyes for doing this.

My whole point is we haven't spent resources to make the OL more than league average IF the starters can stay healthy.

dang

Legend
I know that everyone on this forum wants to see the Rams have a team that can not only make the playoffs but also compete for a Super Bowl each and every year. But if you have been a Rams (or NFL) fan for 25+ years (before the GSOT days) you know there are 32 teams fighting for that same level of play and know that achieving it is hard as hell. So reflect, lappreciate what we have with McVay, Snead, Kroenke, Stafford, Donald and Kupp and suck it up buttercup because these are goods days compared to 2005-2016.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder this year for him. There is a chance that our 2nd round pick could be a very high pick and almost a 1st rounder. I like where this team is going. They are exceeding expectations so far. But we have a very tough schedule. I could see us coming up just a bit short many weeks, and the Ls poling up despite feeling good about where the team is going. RBs are always 1 play away from a career ending injury. I would not give up a 1st round pick - or a near 1st found pick - for one with years of heavy mileage unless the player is truly transcendent. I am not sure Taylor fits that description. Very good player. But only 1 season of absolute elite play. I'd rather spend a high 2nd round pick in the trenches. Another Avila, for example. A 2nd rounder next year I'd do to secure a talent like Taylor. The Rams should be better then if the young guys continue to develop, and we add a few key pieces with our upcoming cap space.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not upset at anything. I can't count Jackson as a good find unless he can stay healthy when he hasn't. Also look at what I said that you initially quoted me.

We could have addressed it better but we failed to do so. From all of those picks since McVay came here we have 1 draft pick as a backup and two UDFA starting the rest are gone. Bruss you yourself called a bust. Anchrum floats between our 2nd and 3rd string RG. The only day 2 draft picks on the OL are Noteboom and Evans. Most of the day 3 picks are gone. We have had more success if you want to call it that with UDFA.

I'm not upset about anything but I wouldn't call what we've done a success on the OL outside of the free agent signing of Whitworth and so far the drafting of Avila.

We've spent years trading back to accumulate more picks and done that well after trading our higher picks for players at the top of the roster. This has brought home a Lombardi and Snead and McVay forever will be great in my eyes for doing this.

My whole point is we haven't spent resources to make the OL more than league average IF the starters can stay healthy.
I wasn't accusing you of being upset. I was speaking hypothetically. My mistake if it came across any other way. We've treated the OL as an afterthought in terms of resource allocation. We've let quality OLs walk. We haven't spent a lot of draft capital on it. I think we've done well based on the resources we've used. Ultimately, in team building, you have to figure out where you can afford to skimp on resources and where you can't.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McCaffery is getting $16M/yr on the contract but the cap hit is $14M due to void years.
Completely false.
The AAV for the contract he signed with Carolina was 16 mill per year. Carolina paid him a 21.5 mill signing bonus which is why the AAV the 49ers inherited is around 14 mill.
The void years were added in when the 49ers restructured his deal, since his salaries weren’t guaranteed.
The 49ers got a great deal as he’s under contract but they can manipulate how much is guaranteed
Whoever pays Taylor would be in the Carolina seat if they pay him “McCaffrey money”

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Wow. He can run a 10 yard post with no one covering him and catch a pass. (Blue font in that I think he could elevate the Rams for the next 3 years but curious as to what the posting proves).
It proves that he’s been publicly representing that he’s ready.

Is he? Heck if I know.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow. He can run a 10 yard post with no one covering him and catch a pass. (Blue font in that I think he could elevate the Rams for the next 3 years but curious as to what the posting proves).
That Jake's a regular Carnac the Magnificent!

shcg8N0.png

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Big Rob at RT has been our most consistent OL outside of Whitworth and I won't complain about him but we all know he has his flaws. But he's a captain and he's been the healthiest but even he will usually miss a game or two other than sitting week 17.
Big Rob also predates the McVay regime.

I'm with you on this one. Not a fan of the OL drafting overall. Even the guys we sort of hit on were weak as shit mentally or physically. I think a good way to evaluate our OL evaluation is to say we were too focused in on zone fits and completely disregarded physicality, but regardless on the draft side they did not get it done. Avila being the first draft pick this regime actually seems to have hit on tells us that our evaluation is shit.

Then the trotting out of guys who were clearly not up to snuff is on top of the drafting. OL coaches have been held accountable but we still end up with the same old product on these draft picks. Well, up to now. Maybe Avila represents a change in direction where we realize the value of building our line with better bricks.

My frustration is that as good as McVay is we could never have a down season if we simply ensure the pieces coming in for the OL are of sufficient quality for a pipeline. Which for example if we talk LT this means maybe we should spend that first round pick to lock that blindside down so our QB can keep his gambling tendencies under wraps. But anyway here's hoping Avila represents a new direction.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In a heartbeat, (don't think they'd take it) - and I love me some Higbee! Even add a fourth.

And while I'm setting conditions: 5 year $50M, $35 guaranteed.

Just seems like in the Rams' history, whenever we were REALLY REALLY good, we had a great RB.
And a pretty good O-line.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't look like he even caught a pass.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Too expensive for a guy is coming off an injury. Salary and draft picks.

We need an OLB more.

Lastly we the run blocking needs to improve for the talent of Taylor. CMC went to a world class blocking team it makes a ton of sense.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are possibly about to go 1-3. The problem is our OL. Fix that first. Stafford was shaking from fear of getting crushed last game.

Oh yeah, let’s get a running back.