It simply comes down to this: 24ppg

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How about we give up around 15 a game? I mean, pick the offense up...New OC..New QB...I would be surprised if we turn into an offensive juggernaut over the off season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
For me it's still the turnovers. Teams feasted on our turnovers last season....to the tune of what amounted to 17 TD's in terms of points.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
How about we give up around 15 a game? I mean, pick the offense up...New OC..New QB...I would be surprised if we turn into an offensive juggernaut over the off season.
I tend to agree with you, but it did happen in 1999

fearsomefour

Legend
All the talk about the O has been about simplifying the offense. Was the problem that it was too complex? A bunch of weeks the team would start with a good opening drive or two then just get shut down. It seemed as if the team had a plan that was easily adjusted to, then nothing.
Its fine to go simple but that means execution has to be right on. That approach may make total sense for the D.....the O, I don't know?
Maybe the D can provide enough opportunities (turnovers, short fields) to produce more points.

fearsomefour

Legend
For me it's still the turnovers. Teams feasted on our turnovers last season....to the tune of what amounted to 17 TD's in terms of points.
Limiting turnovers and drive killing O line penalties would go a long way toward that goal.
My fear is the team going so simple they go into a box.
Eliminate silly/dumb/drive killing flags, limit turnovers, find a way to incorporate Austin, get Mason the ball 22+ times a game and the team should be solid on O....
there is that whole O line thing too....

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm worried about offense but I'm also worried about CB. A lot of people are good with what we have I'm not. We don't have a top cb . We have a bunch of #2 cb. Janoris has potential but gambles to much. Fix line and get a CB and we're ready to go to playoffs

Memphis Ram

Legend
Agree but the QB and OC mean little with a horrid O-line.

True. I just hope that if the Rams go the route many fans are suggesting, the team has better success than what I've witnessed in Tennessee.

They tried to go overboard and build a great OLine adding an expensive top rated young free agent guard (Andy Levitre) and #10 overall draft selection (Chance Warmack) to a line which featured an All-Pro LT (Michael Roos) and good RT (David Stewart) and the offense still stunk out loud. The following season they used the #11 overall selection on OT Taylor Lewan and the smell on offense remained and remains.:p

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm worried about offense but I'm also worried about CB. A lot of people are good with what we have I'm not. We don't have a top cb . We have a bunch of #2 cb. Janoris has potential but gambles to much. Fix line and get a CB and we're ready to go to playoffs

This group of CBs were anything but healthy last year. And nobody seemed to have an issue with the way they played the last 8 games of the season. If Jenkins, Johnson and Gaines all stay healthy, there is no reason to think this group isn't good enough. Roberson came on and proved me wrong, in that he can be at least serviceable. And Joyner can be the swing guy as someone who can slide inside.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This group of CBs were anything but healthy last year. And nobody seemed to have an issue with the way they played the last 8 games of the season. If Jenkins, Johnson and Gaines all stay healthy, there is no reason to think this group isn't good enough. Roberson came on and proved me wrong, in that he can be at least serviceable. And Joyner can be the swing guy as someone who can slide inside.

It was the front and back both though. Not taking away from the defensive backfield I agree they played well buuuuuuuuuut the front gave them some nice help.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Limiting turnovers and drive killing O line penalties would go a long way toward that goal.
My fear is the team going so simple they go into a box.
Eliminate silly/dumb/drive killing flags, limit turnovers, find a way to incorporate Austin, get Mason the ball 22+ times a game and the team should be solid on O....
there is that whole O line thing too....

Not sure its about "finding a way to incorporate Austin" as much as it is that Austin needs to figure out a way to become a viable part of what they are doing. Everyone was so quick to blame Schottenheimer, but 4 different QBs over the past 2 seasons weren't able to trust him in the passing game. At some point, IMO, it has to fall on the receiver not being where he is supposed to be, WHEN he is supposed to be there.

I agree completely with the concept of eliminating the critical penalties, and game changing turnovers. Even at scoring 21 PPG last year, if those things weren't as damaging as they were, they would have won a few more games.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It was the front and back both though. Not taking away from the defensive backfield I agree they played well buuuuuuuuuut the front gave them some nice help.
Exactly. And in the first half of the season, when the front was M-I-A, the secondary suffered. That's why it's the quintessential "team defense".

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Exactly. And in the first half of the season, when the front was M-I-A, the secondary suffered. That's why it's the quintessential "team defense".

So your saying it isn't just the QB that matters on defense?

That shit is crazy talk!

fearsomefour

Legend
Not sure its about "finding a way to incorporate Austin" as much as it is that Austin needs to figure out a way to become a viable part of what they are doing. Everyone was so quick to blame Schottenheimer, but 4 different QBs over the past 2 seasons weren't able to trust him in the passing game. At some point, IMO, it has to fall on the receiver not being where he is supposed to be, WHEN he is supposed to be there.

I agree completely with the concept of eliminating the critical penalties, and game changing turnovers. Even at scoring 21 PPG last year, if those things weren't as damaging as they were, they would have won a few more games.
I agree.
I am not blaming anyone in particular. Just when you trade up for a guy in the early first round it would make sense to have a plan how to use him....the Rams may very well have had and Austin may not have been able to execute it. He may still be a total novice when it comes to timing routes or adjusting routes.
It always make me a little leery when I hear about a college WR with great measurables and or stats who basically ran 2 routes in college. Or a QB who has never operated under a center.
It reminds me of a pitchers with a 95 MPH fastball who is used to blowing everyone away. When he hits the majors the hitters aren't fazed and take that 95 mph fastball with nothing else behind it to school. Physical talent is great, but, do they have an idea how to play or not or are they a project.
I still have high hopes for Austin, but, just a tad over 200 yards receiving is not acceptable for a guy taken 8th over all (if my memory is correct).

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I thi
I agree.
I am not blaming anyone in particular. Just when you trade up for a guy in the early first round it would make sense to have a plan how to use him....the Rams may very well have had and Austin may not have been able to execute it. He may still be a total novice when it comes to timing routes or adjusting routes.
It always make me a little leery when I hear about a college WR with great measurables and or stats who basically ran 2 routes in college. Or a QB who has never operated under a center.
It reminds me of a pitchers with a 95 MPH fastball who is used to blowing everyone away. When he hits the majors the hitters aren't fazed and take that 95 mph fastball with nothing else behind it to school. Physical talent is great, but, do they have an idea how to play or not or are they a project.
I still have high hopes for Austin, but, just a tad over 200 yards receiving is not acceptable for a guy taken 8th over all (if my memory is correct).
IMO, I think. Too many people view his offensive stats as the measuring stick when evaluating his contributions or "worth".

I was at the Predraft event prior to them talking Austin. And Fisher was very coy in his comments but did in fact say that they "may be drafting" someone that would have a tremendous impact in the return game.

I am not trying to say they don't think he can be a key part of the offense. But in much the same fashion as it has taken Brian Quick into his 3rd year for the light bulb to come in, I think the same thing may apply to Austin as a WR.

The big difference being that Brain Quick has one intangible that Austin never will. His size.

Austin has got to be precise in his routes and understanding of the concepts to be successful. And so far he hasn't shown the ability to to be that.

But he is the dynamic return guy they anticipated.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I thi

IMO, I think. Too many people view his offensive stats as the measuring stick when evaluating his contributions or "worth".

I was at the Predraft event prior to them talking Austin. And Fisher was very coy in his comments but did in fact say that they "may be drafting" someone that would have a tremendous impact in the return game.

I am not trying to say they don't think he can be a key part of the offense. But in much the same fashion as it has taken Brian Quick into his 3rd year for the light bulb to come in, I think the same thing may apply to Austin as a WR.

The big difference being that Brain Quick has one intangible that Austin never will. His size.

Austin has got to be precise in his routes and understanding of the concepts to be successful. And so far he hasn't shown the ability to to be that.

But he is the dynamic return guy they anticipated.

I still have high hopes for Austin. He may never get there but when his game is on he reminds me a lot of Antonio Brown. It took brown a few years to figure it out but when the light came on he became a game changer at WR and return man. If the light comes on for this kid It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him rise to browns level.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I still have high hopes for Austin. He may never get there but when his game is on he reminds me a lot of Antonio Brown. It took brown a few years to figure it out but when the light came on he became a game changer at WR and return man. If the light comes on for this kid It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him rise to browns level.
I hope you are right, but keep in mind, Austin is liberally listed at 5'8, Brown is listed at 5'10. Brown appears to be a much more accomplished route runner and the 2 inches might not seem like a big deal, but IMO it is.

Last edited: