Is Wolford a legit top end backup QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
He's not a topend backup but he is a good one. He has his limitations one of which is consistent deep-ball accuracy. IMO that is perhaps the one thing that will keep him from being a starting QB in the NFL. That said in the proper scheme he can be a productive player. I feel good about him should he be called upon but don't see him as a long-term solution at the position. He might find a position after 2022 on a team as a bridge QB.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure about that list either. And where is George Blanda?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting this discussion is still going on since most of this board said he was a legit starting QB a few months ago.

it's amazing. he's gone from "2021 starter" to "is he a good enough backup?".

those wacky kids.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wolford's not gonna lead a team to great things. But for short term he can manage the game well enough to win. If Stafford missed a couple games we could compete with Wolford. If Stafford went down for half a season or more that would be problematic. Teams will get more tape on Wolford and his tendencies. He has more weaknesses than a typical starters. If he didn't he woulda been drafted. His strength is his mobility. But we saw what that does for you in the first quarter of the playoff game.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ll beat this drum again. I’d rather the Rams get a guy like Alex Smith as back up. But that’s just me, not big on Wolford.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of you act like you have a complex understanding of the limitations and capabilities of a guy that’s attempted 38 career passes. You guys should be GMs if you can evaluate talent at that level, 38 passes and we have our answer wouldn’t take your team more than 1 game to know if they found their answer at QB.

Seriously? Is Wolford a top tier backup? Based on what? A better question would be....Can Wolford even meet the bare minimum requirement of a NFL backup qb and remain physically available to play?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
A lot of you act like you have a complex understanding of the limitations and capabilities of a guy that’s attempted 38 career passes. You guys should be GMs if you can evaluate talent at that level, 38 passes and we have our answer wouldn’t take your team more than 1 game to know if they found their answer at QB.

Seriously? Is Wolford a top tier backup? Based on what? A better question would be....Can Wolford even meet the bare minimum requirement of a NFL backup qb and remain physically available to play?
Agree.
Mentioned the other day that I re-watched the AZ game; and while Wolford played well, he took five hits to the head that were either scary or almost scary. Exactly like the hit that knocked him out of the Seattle game the following weekend.

I like him as a back-up to a quality veteran like Stafford. Think Wolford can start and win a couple games if Stafford is injured (any long-term-injury to a starting-QB is a major problem). Like Wolford's mobility and thought he threw some very nice passes. However, I have little confidence he would stay healthy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The best Backup QB is the one who never has to play

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
A top end backup QB? Are you kidding me?

The guy has literally never thrown a TD in the NFL.

Maybe he will turn out okay, but I hope he never has to take another snap for us.

He did however lead the AAF in td passes with 14 in 8 games, so he has some very nice professional experience. I was also impressed with his snaps during rams games and have no reservations about him stepping in for stafford.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I know we have not seen much, but the fact that majority of the team were disappointed that
he couldn't go against Green Bay says a lot.( this is from Lindsey Thiry's article.)
Mcvay seems to have a lot of faith in him as well.

The guy has been one of the first guys in and last to leave every day since he was on the practice squad.
I think he could come in and give us a chance to win week in and out.
He is a cerebral guy who probably knows this system better than anyone on the roster at this point.

So to answer your question, I do believe he is a legit backup and I feel far more comfortable
with him than some of our backups from the past.

And because goff was able to and did start we know the decision on who to start was made when wolford was unable to pass concussion protocol. Had he passed, mcvay would have gone with him over goff, and that says it all.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Yeah no

perhaps adequate under perfect conditions, if you’re going to be as smallish as Wolf then you better have an accurate arm, didn’t see it

Last edited:

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
From his small sample size, I like what I've seen. But similar can be said of Austin Davis before he started more games and was exposed more for inherent weaknesses. But for now I'm good with Wolf.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
From his small sample size, I like what I've seen. But similar can be said of Austin Davis before he started more games and was exposed more for inherent weaknesses. But for now I'm good with Wolf.
This 100%. Austin Davis on limited snaps was given the same kind of hype and seems a pretty similar player. And where is he now? Yeah still a backup. Wolford is an adequate backup who will move around the league or stay in LA as the clipboard savior.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Honestly, not quite sure what point you're making here.

If your point is, "the odds of winning a Super Bowl with a backup QB are about the same as winning the lottery," I'd of course have to strongly disagree. I looked it up, and backup QB's have won the Super Bowl an astonishing NINE times!

The list:
Earl Morrall
Nick Foles
Kurt Warner
Tom Brady
Doug Williams
Jeff Hosteler
Roger Staubach
Trent Dilfer
Jim Plunkett

So of course I'd strongly disagree with your prior statement that, "If your starting QB goes down, your season is pretty much over."

So yes, backup QB's definitely CAN take their teams all the way to the promised land, and it's actually not as rare as one would think.

A totally separate question: "Is Wolford capable of taking this team all the way, if Stafford got hurt?" Obviously McVay seems to think the answer is yes. And I agree with McVay.
Add Tom Brady to your list.