Is Wolford a legit top end backup QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
please repost the insult, show me the errors of my way.
Save it man. Go stalk a Lions board if you want to get your Goff bashing fix on. The thread is about Wolford, and if he's a good enough to back up our QB.
Our QB is Matt Stafford....

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
There truly is a class of people who are indeed Goff apologist. For posters on the board to be hypersensitive about the word befuddles me.
- Giles, I truly am sorry I have offended you. I would like to speak my mind but not to the point one would take offense.

in the future I shall reframe from the use of such words.

peace

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
There truly is a class of people who are indeed Goff apologist. For posters on the board to be hypersensitive about the word befuddles me.
- Giles, I truly am sorry I have offended you. I would like to speak my mind but not to the point one would take offense.

in the future I shall reframe from the use of such words.

peace
Not offended but I do realize the word "apologist" is used as a insult and that's exactly I dont use it myself.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
What is your problem dude? Having a bad day so you'll come on here and stir up some stuff? Chill out

Mr Dieter,
I’ve offered up apologies ( lol, you thought I was gonna say it) to Giles and I believe he accepted. I’d consider the matter squashed. You have chimed in to assumedly secure an apology as well and I am cool with that. In fact, I do believe be already offered it

I’m feeling like Oprah giving out free cars. You get one and you get one and you get one.

do you have anything positive you wish to add to the equation? Before we bring this matter to a close?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only in hindsight. When Davis started out and had a couple of monster games, there wasnt doubting his processing, and for sure he was more impressive in his first couple starts than Wolford was. For a hot minute he was the next Kurt Warner...
His aggressiveness was nice at first sure. But he wasn't anything like Wolford. Not to say Wolford is special but this insistence some here have on not seeing his strengths is just as colored by Goff as the other side tbh.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Back on topic...No, he played 4.25 quarters of NFL football. Not hating on Wolford, there’s no true body of work beyond 1 game & an injury.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His aggressiveness was nice at first sure. But he wasn't anything like Wolford. Not to say Wolford is special but this insistence some here have on not seeing his strengths is just as colored by Goff as the other side tbh.
Oh I think its the other way around. The detest of Goff was so strong people were trying to find ways to embrace Wolford.
Arizona's defense is/was awful and they still held the Rams to 9 offensive points. You can kid yourself all you want but all that was there to be seen was a complete unknown quantity who put the Rams in a hole right out of the gate, only to be spared by an incredible performance by the D and the fortune of the Cards having an absolute zero of a QB
We saw what Wolford was made of against Seattle, designed run and he couldnt read the safety coming off the edge. Was child's play

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well here we go again. And not worth the back and forth so let's agree to disagree my man.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well here we go again. And not worth the back and forth so let's agree to disagree my man.
Just goes to show some people think Jared can't ever get back to 2018 form. And some think Wolford off 44 pass attempts is better than Jared could ever be. And some people criticize each side for thinking that way.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Not much to go on but Wolford looks good enough for a few games.

Wolford > Davis

Not sure how I feel 5 or more games. That sort of feels like the threshold you want to avoid with any backup.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
This thread is funny. Backup QB? "Capable"? Of what? When I re-watch Wolford play his first NFL start, I see a gamer. A guy with no fear. Somebody who can avoid pressure and pick up a first down with his legs. When I re-watch Wolford in his second start I see the same thing. But I also see a small guy who may be prone to injury if he keeps playing that style.

As backups go, when I look at John Wolford I see Brock Berlin. Or Kyle Boller. Maybe Keith Null.
I don't see Austin Davis. Or Kellen Clemens. Certainly not Ryan Fitzpatrick. Or Gus Frerotte. Or Shaun Hill.

This kid is a lifetime backup who can start a game in a pinch and not lose it. He's not going to win you any, nor is he going to come in and save the season if the starter goes down for an extended period. Regardless of the BS coachspeak from McVay or the talent evaluations from fans sick of Goff.

Is Wolford a "legit top end backup"? No. If the Rams want to set the team up for success with Stafford at the QB position, they should plan on having a capable backup by 2022. That means drafting one this year and praying Stafford stays healthy all season.