Is Wolford a legit top end backup QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I’ll beat this drum again. I’d rather the Rams get a guy like Alex Smith as back up. But that’s just me, not big on Wolford.
One of the reasons the Rams traded for Stafford was because he was more mobile than Goff, so they’re not going to bring in Smith who doesn’t fit that mold.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
The apologist are really going to be upset but ....... there are at least 5 games in 2020 I wish we would have started Wolf. Yes, hindsight is 2020 and all that good stuff but Goff was sucking hard. Good, bad or indifferent, I am glad to see Goff gone.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The apologist are really going to be upset but ....... there are at least 5 games in 2020 I wish we would have started Wolf. Yes, hindsight is 2020 and all that good stuff but Goff was sucking hard. Good, bad or indifferent, I am glad to see Goff gone.
You call people apologists yet in a thread that asks “is Wolford a top end backup” your response is essentially “Jared Goff bad” what does that make you?

move on dude...idk what he did to you personally but he’s gone it will be okay.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You call people apologists yet in a thread that asks “is Wolford a top end backup” your response is essentially “Jared Goff bad” what does that make you?

move on dude...idk what he did to you personally but he’s gone it will be okay.
The whole apologist bit is comical to begin with. But you're right in a thread asking if a guy can be even a backup somebody has to attack a former player yet again. And in favor of a guy who couldn't stay on the field.

sloramfan

Starter
rams have stafford as QB #1...

so now let's make a choice, hypothetically of course..

you can have one or the other as a back-up... wolford or goff...

who ya gonna take as your backup... go ahead and choose all you wanna be head coaches and gm's...

let's see who has it and who doesn't...

of course goff is hands down my choice... if you want to score td's and win games.. wolford is a big meh...

wolford just is not a great backup, he's barely there, from what i saw...

ya the team cheered him, because he did something rare in the NFL... won without scoring a TD... hooray!!!

go rams

slo

…..

Legend
The comments about a player without enough game tape to make an educated decision crack me up.

It gets tiresome reading it. He won a game “that he didnt score in” and “hes always injured or cant stay on the field”. What actually happened is, He finished one game and he got hurt in the other. That all we know.

Your use of well placed adjectives and insulting add ons is sad really, when describing a member of the team who’s done nothing to earn negative commentary. All he did was show up on time and play football when we asked him to play football.

I hope we go with Wofford as our backup because we need the finacial relief. I dont wanna pay 4.5M for a Backup. The actual performance implications of playin John Wofford is not yet determined, wether good or bad, so that debate is a dead end.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This 100%. Austin Davis on limited snaps was given the same kind of hype and seems a pretty similar player. And where is he now? Yeah still a backup. Wolford is an adequate backup who will move around the league or stay in LA as the clipboard savior.
He's a far better QB than Davis was, to my eye at least. Davis was never a quick processor. Wolford is in fact a quick processor. He gets through his reads efficiently and also he can do that while being moved off his spot. His arm talent is why he'll stay as a backup, but the guy has some really nice things to his game.

I just wish he had some self preservation. That's something that will keep a staff from relying on you, especially when your raw talent level is that of a backup.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's a far better QB than Davis was, to my eye at least. Davis was never a quick processor. Wolford is in fact a quick processor. He gets through his reads efficiently and also he can do that while being moved off his spot. His arm talent is why he'll stay as a backup, but the guy has some really nice things to his game.

I just wish he had some self preservation. That's something that will keep a staff from relying on you, especially when your raw talent level is that of a backup.

Found Mcvay starting Wolford over Goff telling in a Playoff game.That is trusting in your team & QB.

Bryce Perkins is a guy that might give him a run for his money. NFL Game time experience is big.Preseason will give Ram Fans more info. Wolford is only to get more experience with Matthew Stafford.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Funny you mention the self preservation when I was criticized quite heavily by a couple around here, not you, for saying that very thing. But it is also funny that we know exactly what he is and what he isn't from parts of two games. People claim all these positive attributes for him based off of what 45 pass attempts? I honestly think he benefits from people projecting their hate of Jared on to him and seeing him in the best possible light because he's simply not #16.

As most of us have said we'll see what he can do if given a chance to start. In his limited tape we see some positives and some negatives. Who knows what the real final product is.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
And because goff was able to and did start we know the decision on who to start was made when wolford was unable to pass concussion protocol. Had he passed, mcvay would have gone with him over goff, and that says it all.

"and that says it all"?

If "all" is McVay was through with Goff and Wolford was the only other QB he realistically could have started, then yeah that says it all.

But if Wolford was all that.....capable of inspiring his team mates; making plays Goff allegedly couldn't; being an NFL starter.......then why the hell did we trade for Stafford? Why not keep the 2022 & 2023 first round picks and just trade Goff for a 6th round pick and a blocking sled?

Because Wolford didn't impress McVay that much!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

”Apologist”

Sorry, you fail, insulting others POV does not elevate you

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a far better QB than Davis was, to my eye at least. Davis was never a quick processor.
Only in hindsight. When Davis started out and had a couple of monster games, there wasnt doubting his processing, and for sure he was more impressive in his first couple starts than Wolford was. For a hot minute he was the next Kurt Warner...

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
When your former starting QB scrambles to the side line and decides to throw the ball away, back into the field of play and gets picked, he doesn’t deserve to be the starting QB. Was that a playoff game? Did It cost the team a field goal or perhaps even a TD?

I don’t see how anyone could/would defend what is indefensible at 30 mill per year. Had a bad play? Seems to be a lot of those lately. the o-line made me do it? Really? POV? are you high?

the question was answered for me, Wolf can replace Goff so he must be a quality back up....eh?

besides, the best back up is the one we never have to use.

I hope this helps those who have been offended by the term “apologist” What phrase would you prefer?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When your former starting QB scrambles to the side line and decides to throw the ball away, back into the field of play and gets picked, he doesn’t deserve to be the starting QB. Was that a playoff game? Did It cost the team a field goal or perhaps even a TD?

I don’t see how anyone could/would defend what is indefensible at 30 mill per year. Had a bad play? Seems to be a lot of those lately. the o-line made me do it? Really? POV? are you high?

the question was answered for me, Wolf can replace Goff so he must be a quality back up....eh?

I hope this helps those who have been offended by the term “apologist” What phrase would you prefer?

reformed

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"So how do you feel about Wolford?"

"Jared Goff sucks"

"tehehehe Apologists"

-Actual ROD members 2021

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

This is a thread about wolford and somehow you bring up goff to bash him and bash fellow poster as well. You must be obsessed.