Is the Noteboom Experiment Almost Over?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Boom was a big disappointment last year. The Rams are committed at least for this year. I hope he can prove everyone wrong and be a good contributor.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just happy that everybody is talking about the offensive line. Last time I saw this much discussion, we went to the Superbowl.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My favorite scenario for Noteboom is for him to start, proving to the league that he can play, then trading him prior to the deadline on or before Nov. 1. Getting a draft pick out of him, if we can, might partially appease his so far catastrophic career as a starter. The Rams can either draft or use free agency to fill our requirement for a new 2024 LT if Jackson isn't all they want him to be.
Besides Noteboom and Brian Allen skating on thin ice this season due to their history, so will be Tremayne Anchrum as he enters the final year of his contract. Somewhat like the undrafted Jackson, Warren McClendon enters this OL unit as our 1'st fifth round pick (#174), and he has every bit the utility or swingman potential which Jackson & Shelton possesses, perhaps a bit more if he ever gets pressed into duty at RT or Center. Some see McClendon eventually covering all the IOL slots, including as a back-up Center, others have him competing at RT with Arcuri. I believe I'd prefer him inside, and with Anchrum likely gone in free agency next season, maybe competing with Jackson & Shelton for the starting LG role next year if Avila slides into the starting Center job.
There was little doubt that the IOL was the weakest unit on our team last year, this season, at least on paper, it appears more of a team strength, and the entire offense will benefit from it. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Wow so much projection and making stuff up unless I missed a McVay interview which I'm not sure I did. First off there is no starting OL in ota's they're barely practicing. Secondly McVay and JB Long in recaps and interviews have straight up said not everybody is dressed and practicing which further backs up the first comment.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1685062305729.png

oldnotdead

Legend
Noteboom got hurt early in the season and tried to tough it out because of all the injuries on the OL. When he's healthy he's a franchise level LT. Either people weren't watching when he was healthy or they "forgot". The Rams extended him because they know he's that good. Jackson is either going to play RG or swing OT this year unless Joe simply can't play.

Jackson is in a contract year. I would expect the Rams to extend him as the presumptive starter at RT next year. McClendon is like Havenstein with heavy feet who struggles with speed. This is why I see him at OG where those feet won't be exposed. The only worrisome aspect about Bruss was how he struggled in pass protection in preseason. But with a year under his belt and a full OTA and TC this year he could be fine. He's been practicing at RG with the starters in OTAs.

If Bruss shows he can start at RG then next year if Avila moves inside to center I can see Bruss moving to LG if McClendon is successful in transitioning to OG. McClendon is the better run blocker which makes him a more natural RG.

oldnotdead

Legend
First off there is no starting OL in ota's they're barely practicing.
That's not entirely true. In OTAs they try different OL combinations until they decide which one they want as their starting OL configuration in TC. They don't have the time to experiment like that in TC, where it is all about preparing for the season.

Bruss has seen the majority of his time at RG with Shelton getting significant time at center with Avila at LG and Jackson getting most if not all the reps with the 1s at LT since Joe isn't ready to practice. That's why was it last year or the year before that everyone got excited about someone other than Allen practicing with the 1s at center but I said the same thing then as I'm saying now. What they do in OTAs may or may not be anything at all. OTAs is where they experiment and set their initial depth chart for TC.

That said I think there is a good chance Shelton starts at center in 2024. They could very well keep Avila at LG. A lot will ride on how Bruss plays from here on out and if McClendon can make the transition to OG which isn't certain because the technique is completely different. Case in point Rob Havenstein wasn't able to do it.

oldnotdead

Legend
Alaric Jackson is a Restricted free agent in '24.
You understand what a restricted FA is right? Jackson is an UDFA which complicates things. They can't tender him at an original draft position. The best they can do is tender right of first refusal. So it's why I would expect them to extend him before the season officially ends.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's not entirely true. In OTAs they try different OL combinations until they decide which one they want as their starting OL configuration in TC. They don't have the time to experiment like that in TC, where it is all about preparing for the season.

Bruss has seen the majority of his time at RG with Shelton getting significant time at center with Avila at LG and Jackson getting most if not all the reps with the 1s at LT since Joe isn't ready to practice. That's why was it last year or the year before that everyone got excited about someone other than Allen practicing with the 1s at center but I said the same thing then as I'm saying now. What they do in OTAs may or may not be anything at all. OTAs is where they experiment and set their initial depth chart for TC.

That said I think there is a good chance Shelton starts at center in 2024. They could very well keep Avila at LG. A lot will ride on how Bruss plays from here on out and if McClendon can make the transition to OG which isn't certain because the technique is completely different. Case in point Rob Havenstein wasn't able to do it.
That said you can say or think or feel whatever you want. That track record won't float at all with your feelings or inside knowledge or whatever you cite. Plain simple truth is there is no starting lineup in OTA's for the OL because as we've heard said multiple times through a grand total of two fucking days a lot of players aren't even dressing for these things we can barely call a practice.

So yes it is entirely true. Anybody who's getting their hopes up based on two days of OTA's really need to reexamine things.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You understand what a restricted FA is right? Jackson is an UDFA which complicates things. They can't tender him at an original draft position. The best they can do is tender right of first refusal. So it's why I would expect them to extend him before the season officially ends.
jiFfM.jpg

Original round free agent tender is not the only way they can tender an RFA.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You understand what a restricted FA is right? Jackson is an UDFA which complicates things. They can't tender him at an original draft position. The best they can do is tender right of first refusal.

No. A team can make a 1st or 2nd round tender offer for an UDFA after his third year.

Those would be options for the Rams on Jackson.

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Just hoping the TCU OL Alumni won’t be a trend for injuries.We see it in Boom, hope Avila doesn’t go that route.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was happy to see the Rams keep Boom with Whit retiring. Decent contract and he had played well in relief.

When he went down with the Achilles I figured that had to be the last straw for him as a starter. He’s been good in pass pro but below average in the run game. Was really surprised to hear McVay say he would be ready to go for TC. My hope is that there will be a real competition at LT, I don’t trust Boom to have Stafford’s backside covered for a full season.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
My opinion won't be popular here, but when healthy, Noteboom isn't near our biggest issue at LOT.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boom LOVER!
I know that's blue font and a joke but shit like this gets thrown around way too much. I"m a Rams fan and I love all the players. I don't give up on guys and I don't just fall in love with a guy after preseason or one game.

People say they can't trust Boom, Bruss etc etc etc then say they aren't given up on them when they clearly have.

My absolute favorite is they trust McVay and what he says but that only seems to apply if what he's saying agrees with their thinking. If not it's coach speak.

It's just the same silly game over and over and over.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know that's blue font and a joke but shit like this gets thrown around way too much. I"m a Rams fan and I love all the players. I don't give up on guys and I don't just fall in love with a guy after preseason or one game.

People say they can't trust Boom, Bruss etc etc etc then say they aren't given up on them when they clearly have.

My absolute favorite is they trust McVay and what he says but that only seems to apply if what he's saying agrees with their thinking. If not it's coach speak.

It's just the same silly game over and over and over.
Here's some serious talk. Noteboom has been a Ram for 5 seasons and I stand by everything that I said, no matter what McVay says. He isn't starting material. Since this is a Rams site, I am simply stating my opinion, no more and no less. Your view may differ.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's some serious talk. Noteboom has been a Ram for 5 seasons and I stand by everything that I said, no matter what McVay says. He isn't starting material. Since this is a Rams site, I am simply stating my opinion, no more and no less. Your view may differ.
He has tape showing us he has the ability to be a starter. The question with him is health. That tape btw is at LT he has shown us he cannot be a guard. He has more tape showing us he's capable of being a LT than Jackson has. Who also has had injury and health issues in his limited time on the Rams.

I don't know who the LT will be and quite frankly I don't give a damn who it is as long as they won the job in camp and the coaches back the pick.

I'm not saying anybody can or cannot express their opinions. I will however say what my opinion is even if I dare to disagree with somebody. I also will have a lot of fun laughing at people being hypocritical because of their preferred players and the narratives coming from media or coaches. You expressing your opinion and me laughing to myself and pointing out my opinion that people are extremely biased about their own opinions both are allowed. It just seems that people can't handle other peoples opinions if they don't coincide with theirs, not just here but in life generally.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He has tape showing us he has the ability to be a starter. The question with him is health. That tape btw is at LT he has shown us he cannot be a guard. He has more tape showing us he's capable of being a LT than Jackson has. Who also has had injury and health issues in his limited time on the Rams.

I don't know who the LT will be and quite frankly I don't give a damn who it is as long as they won the job in camp and the coaches back the pick.

I'm not saying anybody can or cannot express their opinions. I will however say what my opinion is even if I dare to disagree with somebody. I also will have a lot of fun laughing at people being hypocritical because of their preferred players and the narratives coming from media or coaches. You expressing your opinion and me laughing to myself and pointing out my opinion that people are extremely biased about their own opinions both are allowed. It just seems that people can't handle other peoples opinions if they don't coincide with theirs, not just here but in life generally.
So we can disagree and laugh at one another being passive aggressive AND neither's opinion is superior. Agreed.