If the Rams go to the SB, they're going to run there

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I said this in another thread. It is not doom and gloom. (Unless we play the 49ers).

I would rather play on the road against any other team including GB instead of facing the 49ers at SoFi.

There isn't any strategy to overcome being manhandled.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
FIFY
If the Rams go to the Super Bowl, They're going limp there.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Lol I wasn't calling you delusional. That's just an issue that often occurs with extreme fandom. And there are a number around here I'd put in that category, but wasn't singling you out in that regard. Expressions of hope need to be rooted in rational thinking to have merit IMO. Too much pretense at times, thats all.

And I'm always open to having discussions on differing opinions. I gave you my reasoning on why I think the running game wont be the main factor we get back to the SB. Could it be? Sure. But you'd have to agree that if/when we play GB/TB, they are going to score a lot of points on our defense. Just not sure how probable it is that running the ball is how we win those games. They're too good offensively.
Could go either way. The Bills had a juggernaut offense every year they were in the Super Bowl but couldn’t win because teams ran all over them.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I expect them to have more then 150. Did you see how Penny ran all over the Cards last week? They had 200 yards rushing, 190 from Penny. I'll take my chances on Michel/Akers over Penny myself, but he has been playing good ball as of late.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Do people still honestly think this is a super bowl contending team? Have you seen our defensive depth chart? Have you seen the offenses for the 3 teams you just mentioned? The offense will have nothing to do with getting to the super bowl, it will all come down to the defense.

If you compare this team to the 2018 team, the overall talent of the defense was far superior. We also had a better DC. Nothing about this team's play the 2nd half of the year screams Super Bowl to me. Quality playoff team? Absolutely. But Brady and Rodgers will put up 35+ on this swiss cheese soft cushion scheme. At least 35pts.

Who will opponents want to target in the passing game? Reeder? Yes. Rapp? Yes. Nick Scott? Yes. Darious Williams? Yes. Deonte Dayeon? Yes. Who will our 3rd safety be on the field? Hughes?? Weddle!?? God help us against Rodgers and Brady. They are going to shit on this defense.

You realize the team still has more than enough horses on D and a top 5 O, right?

Tampa's secondary has been trash all year and here they are.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think the rushing for both teams will be tough. Watt being back is gonna be a bit if a change

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if it's poor return McVay needs to discipline himself tonight. Call that run on first or second down and accept the extra yard or two on third down. That's McVay's weakness. When it doesn't produce early he gets impatient. But sometimes, like in the playoffs, keeping that balance can really help because you don't want this defense teeing off on the pass game only.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Need to add a few bootlegs and move pocket around to control the blitz in A & B gaps that the Cards do so well

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Stafford needs to get everyone, not named Kupp involved early. Need to stress the def including moving pocket and hitting some slants. going to make a stiff crown & ginger now

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Against Tampa… if we have 20+ rushing attempts for 90+ yards, I’ll give you good odds that it’s a Rams victory.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
38 rushes and 18 passes...

This is a recipe for success. Also helps keeping the other offense off the field.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
download (3).jpg

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Against Tampa… if we have 20+ rushing attempts for 90+ yards, I’ll give you good odds that it’s a Rams victory.
I dunno Avenger but I'm sure hoping we get more than 90 or so yards rushing. I'm really looking for more than that say around 135+ yards or better.
We need to run and run hard for all 4 quarters and control the game and the clock.

~ArkyRamsFan~

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I dunno Avenger but I'm sure hoping we get more than 90 or so yards rushing. I'm really looking for more than that say around 135+ yards or better.
We need to run and run hard for all 4 quarters and control the game and the clock.
~ArkyRamsFan
Of course, more is better. My numbers, though, would be enough, in my estimation, to keep their defense honest and give Stafford a chance to attack their suspect DBs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we can run on these guys. And even if the ypc is low by halftime it'll pick up with Cam and Sony vs a tired defense. So my thing is make sure the carries are there. Yards will come for sure as Tampa's speedy defense tires out.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Interesting outcome on this against Tampa. The Rams had 30 carries for 70 yards (25 for 52 on hand-offs to RBs). Obviously, not the type of success we were hoping for.

Nonetheless, I do think that staying with the run (26 running plays, including the reverse to Jefferson) was important to keep the Bucs' defense "honest."

This will be even more important against the 49ers. The 49ers were 3rd in the NFL in sack percentage. To keep their pass rushers somewhat at bay, the Rams need to (1) keep a credible threat of running the ball, and (2) have at least moderate success doing so on first down.

If the Rams run 20+ running plays on Sunday for 75+ yards, that would go a long way to helping Stafford have a strong game.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Interesting outcome on this against Tampa. The Rams had 30 carries for 70 yards (25 for 52 on hand-offs to RBs). Obviously, not the type of success we were hoping for.

Nonetheless, I do think that staying with the run (26 running plays, including the reverse to Jefferson) was important to keep the Bucs' defense "honest."

This will be even more important against the 49ers. The 49ers were 3rd in the NFL in sack percentage. To keep their pass rushers somewhat at bay, the Rams need to (1) keep a credible threat of running the ball, and (2) have at least moderate success doing so on first down.

If the Rams run 20+ running plays on Sunday for 75+ yards, that would go a long way to helping Stafford have a strong game.
Definitely need the threat of the run game so they don't start pinning their ears back on pass plays. Hopefully we can establish the run with more success than the last game. They really shut it down. I wonder if we should be trying to tweak our running plays so that 9ers have to think a little more on D. McVay has to make adjustments because the 9ers know his Offense and have become to good at slowing it down. No matter what happens don't abandon the run game.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
If Whitworh is a go that should help. I love Noteboom. He's been huge. I am not an offensive line "Xs and Os" master, but to my untrained eye, I honestly notice almost zero drop off with Noteboom in the lineup at LT, except in the run game. We run to the left behind Big Whit to great effect. It always seems like much tougher sledding running to that side when Noteboom is in. Noteboom isn't a bad run blocker, but he is nothing close to exceptional like Whitworth is.