If the rams draft 2nd overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Rambitious1 maintaining clear vision despite the hype:
At this point, I say NO to Clowney.
Probably no to Manziel as well.
:bigup:
I wouldn't draft Manziel until the 7th and as for Clowney, barring a trade of Chris I can't see it. Drafting a part time player in the top 5? :cray:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Our RDE is Quinn. He is the Rams most dynamic defensive player.... he is a speeder I not sure I understand your suggestion of moving the RE Quinn inside with more pounds? Help me out please. We have used our DE's like Hayes & Sims inside but you move your best RDE out of his best post? Chris Long mans the other LDE post. The interior usual DT next to the RE Quinn is Brockers is this the player who want to take off the field with a beefed up DE?? I must be misunderstanding you meaning ???

That's what I meant. Long to DT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's what I meant. Long to DT.

Oh Ok well his father played inside on the 34 defense just left of the NT in the LDE/LDT position. Howie Long also played LDE & LDT on some 43 defenses but was primarily a LDE/LDT on the 34. Chris has played & started on both sides but seems to be better suited for the left side of the DL. Not really sure if Chris has the frame that his father had (Chris is a full two inches shorter) for a full time conversion inside to LDT. Chris's father Howie was 6-5 & played around the 265 to 280 pound range during his HOF career. Howie was just a bigger man than Chris. Howie had thicker arms, legs bigger strong hands. Howie's other son Kyle Long is more of a clone of Howie. Chris is now about 6-3 270 pounder maybe lighter now. Chris played with more size & weight last yr he was close to 280. I have seen CL play some LDT in passing situations with Gerald Rivers @ LDE in pre season. I think Chris could play inside on a 34 defense like his dad but he may just not have the frame to convert full time.

Issue is your paying CL to be a pass rushing DE @ 15 million a season. Rams have tow other DE's who can play the LDE post very well in passing situations & decent enough on a full time basis in newly resigned William Hayes & Eugene Sims so currently I do not see that this Ram team needs CL to move inside.

Refrence back to top draft prospect Jadeveon Clowney its possible end up being a DE/DT in a 34 defense in the DE/DT rusher on either side of the NT. Clowney beside being a potentially equally valuable as a rusher in the 3-4 alignment his ability in the run game is also outstanding. Clowney has shown impressive timing & leaping ability to knock passes down from the interior DL when working stunts inside. Could you imagine if the Texans took Clowney & place him in the same position opposite side with JJ Watts in their 34???

fearsomefour

Legend
Oh Ok well his father played inside on the 34 defense just left of the NT in the LDE/LDT position. Howie Long also played LDE & LDT on some 43 defenses but was primarily a LDE/LDT on the 34. Chris has played & started on both sides but seems to be better suited for the left side of the DL. Not really sure if Chris has the frame that his father had (Chris is a full two inches shorter) for a full time conversion inside to LDT. Chris's father Howie was 6-5 & played around the 265 to 280 pound range during his HOF career. Howie was just a bigger man than Chris. Howie had thicker arms, legs bigger strong hands. Howie's other son Kyle Long is more of a clone of Howie. Chris is now about 6-3 270 pounder maybe lighter now. Chris played with more size & weight last yr he was close to 280. I have seen CL play some LDT in passing situations with Gerald Rivers @ LDE in pre season. I think Chris could play inside on a 34 defense like his dad but he may just not have the frame to convert full time.

Issue is your paying CL to be a pass rushing DE @ 15 million a season. Rams have tow other DE's who can play the LDE post very well in passing situations & decent enough on a full time basis in newly resigned William Hayes & Eugene Sims so currently I do not see that this Ram team needs CL to move inside.

Refrence back to top draft prospect Jadeveon Clowney its possible end up being a DE/DT in a 34 defense in the DE/DT rusher on either side of the NT. Clowney beside being a potentially equally valuable as a rusher in the 3-4 alignment his ability in the run game is also outstanding. Clowney has shown impressive timing & leaping ability to knock passes down from the interior DL when working stunts inside. Could you imagine if the Texans took Clowney & place him in the same position opposite side with JJ Watts in their 34???

Howie Long helped change the game. His size/speed was rare when he played. The bigger difference between Howie being able to play inside and Chris attempting to play inside is the size of the lineman. It wasnt all that many years ago that the Rams lined up an Oline with nary is 300 lber.

I dont see Long moving inside. I would see it as more likely him losing 15 lbs and playing inside LB for a 3/4 team, or as an outside passrusher for a 3/4 team.

If Clowney is drafted and is as advertised he replaces Long. If not year one then soon after. I love Chris Long and he is a solid all around player and I love his heart and hustle…..and he presents himself as a pro and a class guy. But, he can disappear at times and still can get pushed around by big physical RTs. This D can be great with Long or a Clowney. If the Rams draft Clowney the money tied up in the position would dictate Long would have to go. The Rams already have four guys would would be starting for a lot of teams at DE. The only way I draft Clowney is if I really believe he is a generational player, a guy SO much better than everyone else on the field you cannot pass on him no matter who you already have. These guys usually dont live up to the hype (how could they really). If not Clowney then I am perfectly happy with our 4 DEs and using that pick to fill a position that is a need, or trading down.
Good discussion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Howie Long helped change the game. His size/speed was rare when he played. The bigger difference between Howie being able to play inside and Chris attempting to play inside is the size of the lineman. It wasnt all that many years ago that the Rams lined up an Oline with nary is 300 lber.

I dont see Long moving inside. I would see it as more likely him losing 15 lbs and playing inside LB for a 3/4 team, or as an outside passrusher for a 3/4 team.

If Clowney is drafted and is as advertised he replaces Long. If not year one then soon after. I love Chris Long and he is a solid all around player and I love his heart and hustle…..and he presents himself as a pro and a class guy. But, he can disappear at times and still can get pushed around by big physical RTs. This D can be great with Long or a Clowney. If the Rams draft Clowney the money tied up in the position would dictate Long would have to go. The Rams already have four guys would would be starting for a lot of teams at DE. The only way I draft Clowney is if I really believe he is a generational player, a guy SO much better than everyone else on the field you cannot pass on him no matter who you already have. These guys usually dont live up to the hype (how could they really). If not Clowney then I am perfectly happy with our 4 DEs and using that pick to fill a position that is a need, or trading down.
Good discussion.

Rams have a ZERO need @ DE. Period! Rams have five DE's on the roster now! & two young DE's on the Rams practice squad total of SEVEN! The need ??@ the very bottom of the need list. If you want linemen then [OT-DT-OG] are much more of a Ram need but that would upset the "BPA groupies". The drafting of Jadeveon Clowney would fall into the BPA! I think that young Ram DE's like Rivers & also Brodine have a good future in St Louis. If you did draft Jadeveon you trade or release CL bottom line.

I will defer back to the jrry32 mock draft where he purposed selecting Jadeveon with that #2 or #3 pick but with the change @ QB in Washington ..the Rams look to end up losing any possibility of selecting Jadeveon. I feel that the Skins could win two of the three. thus the Skins pick could be lower than our own with both teams with five wins.

fearsomefour

Legend
Rams have a ZERO need @ DE. Period! Rams have five DE's on the roster now! & two young DE's on the Rams practice squad total of SEVEN! The need ??@ the very bottom of the need list. If you want linemen then [OT-DT-OG] are much more of a Ram need but that would upset the "BPA groupies". The drafting of Jadeveon Clowney would fall into the BPA! I think that young Ram DE's like Rivers & also Brodine have a good future in St Louis. If you did draft Jadeveon you trade or release CL bottom line.

I will defer back to the jrry32 mock draft where he purposed selecting Jadeveon with that #2 or #3 pick but with the change @ QB in Washington ..the Rams look to end up losing any possibility of selecting Jadeveon. I feel that the Skins could win two of the three. thus the Skins pick could be lower than our own with both teams with five wins.

Agree. Best case scenario for me is Washington losing out and the Rams finding a team desperate enough to overpay for a QB and trade down with them. I dont know if Cousins is going to make a difference for Washington, that team is such a mess and the D so bad at this point, but, they are playing beatable teams.
I still put the need for the Rams at T, G, back up QB on O and DB (CB and S) and DT and LB depth on D. The only time you draft a player at a postion you are stacked is if you think the guy is a Lawrence Taylor sort of guy. A guy who can single handedly take over games. Outside of that, I would not. I am not a BPA type of person usually. If the team was 12-4 and had most of their key guys locked up, then yeah, I could see going BPA, but, a losing team with needs, no way.
I remember the justification for picks like Trung Candidate and Crouch being BPA.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Gee. I can't help but to believe that Clowney will be the #1 overall selection in next year's draft as he's getting the same type of hype that Julius Peppers & Mario Williams got when they came out of college (Quick guess. Shanahan winds up in Houston and they deal a 2nd rounder plus for QB Kirk Cousins).

But, if Clowney IS available at the Rams selection, short term thinking suggests that the team needs to deal the pick (Preferably in a package that includes a young veteran starter).

But long term one can't help but to notice that in 2015, Robert Quinn & Michael Brockers will be entering the final year of their contracts AND Chris Long will be 30 years old making perhaps twice as much money as Clowney will be making in his rookie contract. Long's $$$ should be heading in Quinn and Brockers direction.

My take? The 2014 draft isn't just about the 2014 season. Minus another blockbuster trade offer, if the team believes that Clowney can be a stud LE worthy of the hype he's getting they'd be foolish not to select him. Seems to me that Sammy Watkins, Jake Matthews, Teddy Bridgewater and the like would have to be getting Calvin Johnson, Orlando Pace, John Elway comparisons to do anything different.

duckhunter

Starter
Gee. I can't help but to believe that Clowney will be the #1 overall selection in next year's draft as he's getting the same type of hype that Julius Peppers & Mario Williams got when they came out of college (Quick guess. Shanahan winds up in Houston and they deal a 2nd rounder plus for QB Kirk Cousins).

But, if Clowney IS available at the Rams selection, short term thinking suggests that the team needs to deal the pick (Preferably in a package that includes a young veteran starter).

But long term one can't help but to notice that in 2015, Robert Quinn & Michael Brockers will be entering the final year of their contracts AND Chris Long will be 30 years old making perhaps twice as much money as Clowney will be making in his rookie contract. Long's $$$ should be heading in Quinn and Brockers direction.

My take? The 2014 draft isn't just about the 2014 season. Minus another blockbuster trade offer, if the team believes that Clowney can be a stud LE worthy of the hype he's getting they'd be foolish not to select him. Seems to me that Sammy Watkins, Jake Matthews, Teddy Bridgewater and the like would have to be getting Calvin Johnson, Orlando Pace, John Elway comparisons to do anything different.

Passing on Clowney is not as you call it short term thinking. The wheels have fallen off the d backfield and the OLine is expensive and aging. Matthews can dominate and either Gilbert or Dennard will go a long way to putting another wheel back on the cart. You can't drive the cart by reupholstering the seat.

Snisher's time is now. Not because they may be fired but because they want to get into the dance.

Snead has a history of two recent drafts whereby he likes to trade and target guys that fit in the 1st. So my tea leaves tell me his spots haven't changed.