If the rams draft 2nd overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just out of curiosity, who would teams be trading up for? I'm assuming Bridgewater is going #1. What player is going to have other teams wanting to trade up to get? I honestly don't know.

QB's get hot in the offseason. Like blackbart said; Carr. Mettenberger could rise. Who knows?

The dynamics change too when teams try to get ahead of QB needy teams. It should be fun.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
No to any OL in the 1st or 2nd for me. I want a proven vet.

I don't understand. Jake Long should be a perfect example of why you draft talented OL high and early and not wait till they hit the FA. Don't get me wrong hes still great but why not have him when hes young and making the pro bowl multiple times.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I give J Long a "B".

He's been good. Pass pro a "C"... Run blocking stronger.

He's gotten knocked down more than I expected... And despite getting dinged up has bounced back well.

He's a keeper.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The Rams have whiffed to many times on tackles.
Call me gun shy

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Okay, after Bridgewater, is anyone going to want to trade up to draft Carr or Manziel? Every team picking immediately after us except Atlanta will be needing a QB somewhere in the draft, unless one of them signs Jay Cutler.

Stay put at 2 and take an OT, Clowney, or trade down and get some more picks? Hmmmm.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I give J Long a "B".

He's been good. Pass pro a "C"... Run blocking stronger.

He's gotten knocked down more than I expected... And despite getting dinged up has bounced back well.

He's a keeper.

Yea I agree, I was just pointing out look at the good years Miami got with him because they pulled the trigger and took him 1st overall. 4/5 Pro Bowls :bigup:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yea I agree, I was just pointing out look at the good years Miami got with him because they pulled the trigger and took him 1st overall. 4/5 Pro Bowls :bigup:

Yep. Sign me up for the next Orlando Pace!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If there was an Orlando Pace in this draft, I'm pretty sure that pick would be a lock

True.

The bloodlines are with Mathews. I pick him and we have a fixture for the next X years. At the very least he's the safest pick in a long time.

jjab360

Legend
True.

The bloodlines are with Mathews. I pick him and we have a fixture for the next X years. At the very least he's the safest pick in a long time.
Meh, the bloodlines were with Casey Matthews, too.

I like Jake Matthews but he doesn't really have any elite physical talents, just relatively quick feet and really good technique. He'll be a good OT, but never a dominant talent, not worth the no.2 overall pick, IMO.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I really hope for a trade down and these are the few players I like.
Jake Matthews
Sammy Watkins
Mike Evans
Johnny Manziel
All in that order

If we could land Matthe one of those WR's, and a second rounder then I'd probably blow up from pure excitement.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Meh, the bloodlines were with Casey Matthews, too.

I like Jake Matthews but he doesn't really have any elite physical talents, just relatively quick feet and really good technique. He'll be a good OT, but never a dominant talent, not worth the no.2 overall pick, IMO.

Even if a RT for years to come its worth the pick.

Or we could swing for a bigger hit?

I take the safe bet.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
From my stand point now Jake Mathews is very solid pick...an OL'er who has proven he can play OLT or ORT in a outstanding fashion. He would be an instant NFL swing OT too (very few of these types are ever around). He also has a serious run blocking capability who could move inside to OLG if needed...does this sound like a Ram four yr starter who will depart for UFA'cy on March 13th 2014. I wonder......? if you want Sam Bradford as your pocket passer you must be interested in a OL like Jake Mathews...Snead & Fisher have drafted a ton of playtoys (WR's & RB's) in the last two drafts for Sam to play with too bad he will not not enough time to play with them during a game.

If the Rams even had the cap space to resign Saffold it would run you around 35 to 37 million for 4 yrs....that with some serious starting veteran releases....If drafted you could get a similar talented & type OL'er with that first pick & get Jake Mathews for around 13 million for 4 yrs......save approx 24 mil over 4 yrs....?

Last edited by a moderator:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yeah I don't get the "don't like drafting O-linemen high" thing either. You can get an absolute stud in the first round. Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas, Jake Long etc. Sure you can find an undrafted Jason Peters every now and again but its surely more difficult than drafting one high. I think we've become a bit gun shy because of some of our dreadful picks in the past like Alex Barron or Jason Smith but hey....lightning doesn't strike three times does it??

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
From my stand point now Jake Mathews is very solid pick...an OL'er who has proven he can play OLT or ORT in a outstanding fashion. He would be an instant NFL swing OT too (very few of these types are ever around). He also has a serious run blocking capability...does this sound like a Ram four yr starter who will depart for UFA'cy on March 13th 2014. I wonder......? if you want Sam Bradford as your pocket passer you must be interested in a OL like Jake Mathews...Snead & Fisher have drafted a ton of WR's & RB's in the last two drafts for Sam to play with too bad he does not have time to play with them during a game.

This ^ I like.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Yeah I don't get the "don't like drafting O-linemen high" thing either. You can get an absolute stud in the first round. Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas, Jake Long etc. Sure you can find an undrafted Jason Peters every now and again but its surely more difficult than drafting one high. I think we've become a bit gun shy because of some of our dreadful picks in the past like Alex Barron or Jason Smith but hey....lightning doesn't strike three times does it??

Also, you can get Alex Barron, Jason Smith, if you're not careful.

jjab360

Legend
Even if a RT for years to come its worth the pick.

Or we could swing for a bigger hit?

I take the safe bet.
A solid, but not spectacular RT with the no.2 overall pick? Not worth it, IMO, I want a gamechanger that high in the draft.

Dream big, CGI, dream big. :wink:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm not overreacting, I've been touting this for a while now. I'm ready to move on. That is all I'm trying to say... the coaches need to evaluate if it's time to move on and if so, do it. Don't hold on to a guy because he has been here. This is a business and we are trying to win.

Not saying I want to get rid of Long, unless we are upgrading. If the coaches see something and Clowney would be an immediate upgrade over Long, then do it. Don't hold back because Long has been here for some amount of time. From what has been said and from what I've read about Clowney, he appears to be that dominant force at DE - like Peppers - the HOF calibur guy who doesn't come out but once in 10 or so seasons. If that is the case, he would be an upgrade over an avg RE who is being overpaid for his services based on his career thus far:

Long posted 13 sacks in 2011 and 11.5 in 2012 - and he got 3 in one of the games near the end of 2012. No other seasons with 10+ sacks. And he has never had more than 33 tackles in a season. A defensive end will never make the pro bowl with those numbers. I like to think of myself as one of the more non-biased rams fans, and I never thought he should've made a pro bowl...

As for JL, he is not having a down year, he is having the same year he always has. He is leading our team in tackles and is probably in the top 10 in the NFL in tackles. But that is not a very telling stat.

And there are rookies that are near garuntees to produce, blue chip players, and in those cases you can put them in right away and they can and probably will produce as good or better than players who've been here for a while. These are the guys we need to target in the draft. Clowney is one of them. If he can come in and play the run better and get more sacks than Chris Long can, pull the trigger.

That's all well and dandy. I just don't believe in "moving on" without having a sure upgrade ready to go. And unproven rookies are never gaurentees, or near gaurenetees to produce right away.