If the rams draft 2nd overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm not much for trading down if a elite player is on the board.
The team needs more elite players like Quinn to put them over the top. Position they play isn't that big of a deal, room can be made for them. 2 elite players would help the team more than 4 just good players.

The thing is though - you never know they're elite. You hope they are - but they might not be as good as you think. If you take the 4 good players you've got more chance of hitting on one.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Let's get on the official Texans bandwagon! If the Texans win one more game and the Redskins lose the rest, we will have the #1 pick. My dream is to trade with Cleveland and have 3 1st rders this year.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Been on that bandwagon for a few weeks now! And, I know they are playing better (they really should have beaten the cheatriots) but 2 of their last 3 are on the road. Maybe they can knock off the Titans in week 17?

What scares me is with the cowgirls losing last night, they get bumped down in the playoff race and lay an egg against WAS.

tonyl711

Starter
trade down, Clowny (however you spell it) showed his true colors this year, when your HC calls you out for quiting on the team there are too many issues. no one else really excites me at @2. keep the Rams pick which should be around 7 to 12 IMO, pick up a first and second this year and a 1 for next year.

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
Clowney got a speeding ticket of 110 in a 70 zone. Not a huge deal, but that + his HC calling him out bothers me.. I'd pass, trade down.. Are we sure Sam is the man? I'm not 100% sold, we may wanna snag a QB

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IF Snead & Fisher did target DE Clowney it would signal to me that they are trying to free up some future cap $$ by ways of moving or trading Chris Long massive contract. CL's salary cap hit will be nearly 15 million in 2014. Not meant to knock CL but a run stuffer like Brockers has just about as many sacks as CL. Snead & Fisher could save over 20 mil in 2015/2016 alone if CL was released or traded after the 2014 season. DE is already one of the strongest positions on this Ram team, with Hayes, Long, Sims, Quinn & Rivers. The addition of Clowney would be six? Other than the cap savings which is big I see no improvement in this selection.

You sure do not let Quinn walk & Hayes, Sims & Rivers contracts are mild cap hits when compared to CL's. DC Walton did not play many DE's this season in the front four. Instead he went with the starting DT's staying on the field so the need for so many DE's has no merit.

If I were Snead I would talk up DE Clowney big & hope another NFL team like the Browns, Vikings or Falcons slobbers/drools over him....enough to trade their draft away! Would you bench a CL to play Clowney when you are paying CL just under a million per game?? or would you draft Clowney @ the top of the draft & let him ride the bench?

Last edited by a moderator:

ausmurp

Starter
I really hope for a trade down and these are the few players I like.
Jake Matthews
Sammy Watkins
Mike Evans
Johnny Manziel
All in that order

I think we will end up picking 3rd or 4th, but either way, the only situation where I'd trade down is if we pick 1st, and only a few spots. The combine will determine a lot going forward, as game film on the blue chip players is all but complete. So with that being said...

Sammy Watkins is, as of now, reported as being 6'1'' 205 lbs. He's projected as the 5th best prospect overall, 1st WR. If Watkins runs under a 4.5 and has a solid combine, I think we have to take him no matter where we draft. I'd be fine taking him with our 1st pick no matter where it is. He is the same type of player as Julio Jones/Justin Blackmon. We cannot afford to pass up on this type of player again. I like Mike Evans, and I know Jrry you love him, but Watkins is a more complete WR who could potentially come in and put up Keenan Allen like production immediately - this is exactly what we need (I'm still very sore about us skipping on Keenan Allen). I think Evans can be a lot like Vincent Jackson, but I think it will take him some time, more time than Watkins.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
IF Snead & Fisher did target DE Clowney it would signal to me that they are trying to free up some future cap $$ by ways of moving or trading Chris Long massive contract. CL's salary cap hit will be nearly 15 million in 2014. Not meant to knock CL but a run stuffer like Brockers has just about as many sacks as CL. Snead & Fisher could save over 20 mil in 2015/2016 alone if CL was released or traded after the 2014 season. DE is already one of the strongest positions on this Ram team, with Hayes, Long, Sims, Quinn & Rivers. The addition of Clowney would be six? Other than the cap savings which is big I see no improvement in this selection.

You sure do not let Quinn walk & Hayes, Sims & Rivers contracts are mild cap hits when compared to CL's. Ram did not play many DE's this season in the front four instead they stayed with the DT's on the field so the need for so many DE's has no merit. I would talk up Clowney big & hope a team slobbers over him to trade their draft away!

Interesting, but I don't believe they'll be looking to part ways w/ a guy that has been here since day 1.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting, but I don't believe they'll be looking to part ways w/ a guy that has been here since day 1.

I would find it hard to way CL good bye too...he is no great pass rusher like Quinn but he may be one of the best general well rounded DE's in the NFL....he growing into a team leader & on defense is the face of it. I would also think that CL has much more importance to this team behind the scenes other than what I see on the field game day. CL has already redid his contract for the Rams & it like a emergency cap bank for the team....

ausmurp

Starter

Couldn't this mentality be the reason we are such a bad team and have been for a decade?

Who cares he he's been here that long, his production is average at best. He is not as good against the run as everyone thinks. I don't want Clowney, but if he is better right out of the gate than Long, go for it. We have struggled for too long as a team, we cannot afford to take this approach. Also JL55 has to be evaluated after this season I think. He is the 5th best MLB in our division, and is not near as athletic as we need for that position.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Couldn't this mentality be the reason we are such a bad team and have been for a decade?

Who cares he he's been here that long, his production is average at best. He is not as good against the run as everyone thinks. I don't want Clowney, but if he is better right out of the gate than Long, go for it. We have struggled for too long as a team, we cannot afford to take this approach. Also JL55 has to be evaluated after this season I think. He is the 5th best MLB in our division, and is not near as athletic as we need for that position.

Not really. One down year doesn't mean he suddenly deserves to go. For years most Ram fans thought Chris Long was a pro bowl snub, now you want to get rid of him? B/c of 1 bad season?

Same applies to James Laurinaitis. What's the solution in getting rid of these guys...put in an unknown at a rookie? How does that solve anything? It doesn't, it'll just set the team back.

Enough w/ the overreactions after each loss. These guys aren't bad players, nor are they a detriment to the team. They aren't problems either, on or off field.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Sammy Watkins is my target. I like what I see from Evans, but I think we have that guy already (Brian Quick).

Marquice Lee does nothing for me. He seems to be a deep ball guy only...we have that too (Chris Givens).

Start Watkins and Bailey outside with Austin in the slot...now we have something going...and you have guys that fill other roles behind them...speed, Givens...Size, Quick...sure hands, Pettis.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Let's get on the official Texans bandwagon! If the Texans win one more game and the Redskins lose the rest, we will have the #1 pick. My dream is to trade with Cleveland and have 3 1st rders this year.
The off-seasons are becoming the highlight of the year :)

ausmurp

Starter
Not really. One down year doesn't mean he suddenly deserves to go. For years most Ram fans thought Chris Long was a pro bowl snub, now you want to get rid of him? B/c of 1 bad season?

Same applies to James Laurinaitis. What's the solution in getting rid of these guys...put in an unknown at a rookie? How does that solve anything? It doesn't, it'll just set the team back.

Enough w/ the overreactions after each loss. These guys aren't bad players, nor are they a detriment to the team. They aren't problems either, on or off field.

I'm not overreacting, I've been touting this for a while now. I'm ready to move on. That is all I'm trying to say... the coaches need to evaluate if it's time to move on and if so, do it. Don't hold on to a guy because he has been here. This is a business and we are trying to win.

Not saying I want to get rid of Long, unless we are upgrading. If the coaches see something and Clowney would be an immediate upgrade over Long, then do it. Don't hold back because Long has been here for some amount of time. From what has been said and from what I've read about Clowney, he appears to be that dominant force at DE - like Peppers - the HOF calibur guy who doesn't come out but once in 10 or so seasons. If that is the case, he would be an upgrade over an avg RE who is being overpaid for his services based on his career thus far:

Long posted 13 sacks in 2011 and 11.5 in 2012 - and he got 3 in one of the games near the end of 2012. No other seasons with 10+ sacks. And he has never had more than 33 tackles in a season. A defensive end will never make the pro bowl with those numbers. I like to think of myself as one of the more non-biased rams fans, and I never thought he should've made a pro bowl...

As for JL, he is not having a down year, he is having the same year he always has. He is leading our team in tackles and is probably in the top 10 in the NFL in tackles. But that is not a very telling stat.

And there are rookies that are near garuntees to produce, blue chip players, and in those cases you can put them in right away and they can and probably will produce as good or better than players who've been here for a while. These are the guys we need to target in the draft. Clowney is one of them. If he can come in and play the run better and get more sacks than Chris Long can, pull the trigger.

ausmurp

Starter
Patrick Willis and Luke Kueckley were blue chips also, and if there was an athletic MLB like those guys in this draft labelled blue chip, I'd say that should be our #1 priority. But there isn't. CJ Mosley is not that.

ausmurp

Starter
And don't come at me with that "Well I'm glad you aren't running the team then" phrase, because if I were running the team we'd have Alshon Jeffery AND Keenan Allen as our WRs :)

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
The off-seasons are becoming the highlight of the year :)

I'd really like it if this time of year wasn't "draft" time and we could have threads open about our playoff opponent instead.

P.S. Cook + Long haven't lived up their contracts imo

jjab360

Legend

No. The mentality that we can replace good players really easily is the reason that we have been so bad for a decade. Who knows how good we would've been if we had held onto our players from the GSOT era??