If Barrett is Believed to be Ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
True. They aren't showing much of their hand this year. Maybe when the draft nears we will get wind of some private workouts. They lead to the correct Brian Quick rumors, from Softli I believe and they also shed light on Tavon and Stedman interest. So far the have shown early interest in Robinson and Matthews and according to JT they like Lewan a lot but I am less inclined to believe that since they didn't work him out with Boudreau and he is not as versatile to play Guard if needed.

When they signed Wells right away, I was happy. Sam needed help with the protections and I also took it as them valuing the Center position. I think a good Center makes a big difference on the success of the line. Since then I am not so sure they do. Maybe they have faith in Jones but I don't think so. Hanging onto Wells could be buying time to see if Jones is the guy. If so then they are not sure either.

I predict Jones ends up as a backup and they eventually have to acquire a Center by 2015

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Puzzling? no, did you see the look on Fisher's face when he said it? He's almost smirking at most draft questions. He isn't going to let you know one iota of his and Snead's draft plans. And I guess that is part of being in their position. It's like playing poker. I don't doubt he has full confidence in those guys. That doesn't mean he won't upgrade and make the position stronger. Tough job they have no doubt.

Yeah they got got their poker faces on, for sure. If Fisher was being any more coy he'd have to whip out those BA shades. Dam shame I'm no good at poker. I really can't read his poker face... :(

fearsomefour

Legend
They all have to prove it but there is a big difference in a guy in trouble coming into camp fat not once but twice and a guy with an injury and in recovery time. A lisfranc injury is a painful one with a long recovery time. I don't think they ever had thoughts of playing him last year putting him at risk even though he could have been ready the last couple of games.

As for talent level I believe he would have been a 2nd round pick before the injury and I'm with fearsomefour, get more bluechip guys for Bou to work with instead of guys who are low round or cast offs and lets see how good this unit can be. Controlling the LOS is the way to win in 2014 and the future.
I agree Jones when have been grabbed much earlier by someone if he wasn't injured. The Rams drafted knowing it was going to take some time. It's a great value if he can develop into what he was projected to be before he was injured.
I am very excited to see Jones play this summer. I would love it if he is the long term answer at C or LG, I am just not counting that chicken before its hatched. If you draft Matthews AND Jones develops there is no way that is a negative.
If the Rams stay away from O line early in the draft I would assume it means they like what they have in Jones and Washington.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think Jones is going to be fine and they had a plan when they drafted him last year. One year of full recovery, weight training, still could work on NFL OL technique with Boo, understands the NFL OL requirements and scheme and can step in and be a very solid player on the inside. This guy is smart, talented and probably chomping at the bit to prove himself. I think he will be a mainstay somewhere on this OL for many years.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think Jones is going to be fine and they had a plan when they drafted him last year. One year of full recovery, weight training, still could work on NFL OL technique with Boo, understands the NFL OL requirements and scheme and can step in and be a very solid player on the inside. This guy is smart, talented and probably chomping at the bit to prove himself. I think he will be a mainstay somewhere on this OL for many years.

I hope you are right. If true, we are in so much better shape than we realize. I still think we need to pick up a veteran OG and draft an OT/OG type. I want insurance for Long just in case. I don't want Beetlejuice playing OT.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I have serious doubts about Barrett Jones commitment to the Rams, and pro football in general. Before I explain, Let me say, "I'm all for spirituality."

Barrett Jones spent a few weeks of January in India, on a missionary trip.
Barrett Jones's byline on twitter is...Christ follower who happens to play for the St. Louis Rams.
Barrett doesn't tweet often, but when he does, Barrett tweets about playing golf, the Bible, Costco, SEC, and watching sports, in person or on TV.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have serious doubts about Barrett Jones commitment to the Rams, and pro football in general. Before I explain, Let me say, "I'm all for spirituality."

Barrett Jones's byline on twitter is...Christ follower who happens to play for the St. Louis Rams.
Barrett doesn't tweet often, but when he does, Barrett tweets about playing golf, the Bible, Costco, SEC, and watching sports, in person or on TV.
I fail to see why this should be anything of concern, if anything it should be good news

Alan

Legend
Ramsey thinking religion and football don't mix:

I'm pretty sure Kurt Warner put Christ above football too.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Not sure it equates to non-commitment. All people are built different. Many get highly focused on one thing in life and others spread themselves around. It doesn't mean they can't be committed to them all and do quite well too. And many Christians will always always put Christ first in all things. That won't make them any less of a football player, singer, dancer, politician, coach, etc. etc. etc. And you do know, if out of the playoffs, January is bonus time off for everybody in the NFL? And a lot of people don't tweet at all and many that do don't tweet about their jobs.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I fail to see why this should be anything of concern, if anything it should be good news

Go read for yourself Black Bart...https://twitter.com/BarrettAJones

It's not the religious stuff that bothers me Black Bart. Let me explain. I've studied personality types for over 25 years. And the content of Barrett's tweets suggests an unfocused individual, who needs structure to channel his energy. Without a coach to get on his ass in the offseason, I think Barrett will fall behind the fitness curve. I'll bet Barrett comes into the OTA's out of shape. That's a quick way to get Barrett thrown deep into Jeff Fisher's dog house.

PS. I hope I'm wrong.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Go read for yourself Black Bart...https://twitter.com/BarrettAJones

It's not the religious stuff that bothers me Black Bart. Let me explain. I've studied personality types for over 25 years. And the content of Barrett's tweets suggests an unfocused individual, who needs structure to channel his energy. Without a coach to get on his ass in the offseason, I think Barrett will fall behind the fitness curve. I'll bet Barrett comes into the OTA's out of shape. That's a quick way to get Barrett thrown deep into Jeff Fisher's dog house.

PS. I hope I'm wrong.

Fair enough. Though the part you put in bold is the "religious part". I do know I have read that Barrett was at the facility hitting the weights hard during the offseason.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I'm pretty sure Kurt Warner put Christ above football too.

Please don't misunderstand me. Football and religion go together like salt and pepper. I'm all for spiritual football players. Kurt Warner and Ray Lewis put Christ above football and led their teams to respective Super Bowls.

It's the tone of Barrett Jones that makes me think he will bust. I don't think he has the grit and will power to be a solid NFL player. Kurt and Ray had Grit.
He may mature into a player in a year or two. I still think he has some growing up to do. He may be IQ smart, but I doubt he's street and NFL wise.
Mark my words.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Fair enough. Though the part you put in bold is the "religious part". I do know I have read that Barrett was at the facility hitting the weights hard during the offseason.

Cool beans Black Bart, where did you read that Barrett was at the facility, hitting the weights? I've been looking for that info for 2 months.

Alan

Legend
You obviously haven't gone to any of the off season speaking engagements that Kurt gave during his playing career. I haven't either but I've listened to excerpts. You could be correct about Jones though. I listen to many of our posters (including me occasionally) talking about Jones doing something about his doughboy looks and lack of strength. Then they talk about his intelligence and drive to succeed. When I think about that the first thing that comes to my mind is where was he during his college career? Where was his commitment to football and being the best athlete he could be then?

So I have some of the same fears as you concerning this. I just disagreed that the snippets you posted showed that. We'll find out for sure when :bow:DR RAM gets those nude photos of him in TC. :whistle: :LOL:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Cool beans Black Bart, where did you read that Barrett was at the facility, hitting the weights? I've been looking for that info for 2 months.
I was going back trying to find it too. I think it was art of a report on something form the combine talking about the injured players rehabing (Bradford and Long)

Alan

Legend
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/4016/barrett-jones-patiently-waiting-for-chance
Barrett Jones patiently waiting for chance
December, 12, 2013
12/12/13
1:30
PM ET
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As every other member of the St. Louis Rams' 2013 draft class has had at least one game full of snaps and opportunity, offensive lineman Barrett Jones has stood calmly on the sideline watching and waiting.

Watching as linebacker Alec Ogletree, receiver Tavon Austin, running back Zac Stacy, and safety T.J. McDonald have stepped into starting or expanded roles. Watching as receiverStedman Bailey has earned increased opportunities, eventually earning a start last week against Arizona. Watching as cornerback Brandon McGee stepped in to fill a void in an injury-depleted secondary. And Jones has waited.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/G. Newman LowranceRookie center Barrett Jones, recovering from a foot injury, might get some playing time in the Rams' final three games.
"I’m not frustrated," Jones said. "I’ve just kind of used this as a growth year, a year to kind of adjust to the NFL, really have some experience in the scheme and get faster and stronger, and I think I’ve made the most of it. I’m working really hard off the field, in the film room and the weight room so I feel really good about being ready when my time comes."

The natural question is when, exactly, his time will come? Considering the Rams have been officially eliminated from the playoff chase, many are wondering if that time is now. A player like Bailey, for example, has earned more and more repetitions as the season has gone along and figures to see more of those chances in the final three weeks.

But of course this isn't a YMCA league where everybody gets to play and juice boxes are handed out after the game. If a player gets a chance in the NFL, it's because he's earned it, not because it's mandated.

That said, it seems as though Jones would be a logical candidate to get some opportunities in the final three weeks, especially with starting center Scott Wells now officially on injured reserve with a broken fibula. Tim Barnes started in Wells' stead last week, and while he was OK, it's Jones with the more likely future as a possible starting center.

Given Wells' $6.5 million salary-cap number for next season, it's no guarantee he'll return. The Rams have unrestricted free agents at left guard and right tackle in Chris Williams andRodger Saffold, respectively, and right guard Harvey Dahl is to count $4 million against the cap, making him another possible cap casualty.

From a Rams perspective, it could make sense to get a look at what they have in Jones with hopes he shows enough to give them some cap flexibility combined with the knowledge they won't have to leave their locker room to renovate up to 80 percent of the offensive line.

Before giving Jones a chance, the Rams have wanted to be sure he's ready. A serious foot injury and lack of strength kept him inactive in the first 12 games.

“Barrett has done a real good job in the weight room, and he’s gained a lot of strength," coach Jeff Fisher said. "So, he’ll be ready to go. Obviously, he’ll know what to do and how to do it, he just hasn’t had an opportunity.”

Upon arrival in St. Louis after the team used a fourth-round pick on him in April, Jones already had a good idea that the Lisfranc injury in his foot was going to take some time to heal. He said the Rams were honest with him right away about his chances for playing this season, and let him know they wanted him to fully heal and add muscle to his 308-pound frame.

"I knew these things kind of take about a year to feel 100 percent," Jones said. "I didn’t know exactly what the situation was going to be. But they have been really great and been up front with me the whole time, so I have no complaints and I’m excited about the future."

Jones is about a month away from the one year mark in terms of being removed from the injury. In the meantime, he's worked hard to reshape his body. Jones was able to become one of the most decorated players in college football history with outstanding technique and intelligence, but by his own admission didn't do a whole lot of lifting or working out when Alabama was in season.

"I just think I was playing so much I didn’t have as much of an opportunity to work out," Jones said. "You’re playing all the time. I worked out really hard in the offseason, but during the season it was more of a sustain kind of deal, so it’s been good to really get in there and hit it hard."

Jones has taken to spending early mornings in the Rams Park weight room, arriving before his teammates about 6:30 a.m. and putting in more than an hour on the weights before meetings begin. As for the mental side, that's never been a problem for the former four-time Academic All American, and it doesn't appear to be one now.

"I feel ready," Jones said. "I think I’ve improved a lot. I’m feeling pretty healthy, and so if I get an opportunity to play in these next few games, I’m excited to have a chance."

It's a chance that could come sooner than later.

It's not about this offseason but it says something about him concerning this issue.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was curious about how much of the being out of shape came from the lysfranc injury and inactivity because of that?