If Barrett is Believed to be Ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That changes a lot.

That means he could start at LG and slide anywhere inthe interior, maybe even RT. Wells and Saffold occupy the other remaining positions and the Rams are all of a sudden looking for depth. Then you take Fisher's history of drafting OL high into consideration and you'll find Rams very well may go BPMA again this year. (Best Play Maker Available.)

Just a thought...

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I believe Barrett will be ready hes had a full year in the weight room and is a very smart technically sound player. I also havent lost faith in Brandon Washington. He was a thought of pretty highly when he came out most thought he could become a very good guard eventually. As long as fisher has kept him around I have to think theres somthing there. And with Barrett you get a guy who is versitle enough to at least play all 3 inside positions effectively if need be and maybe RT in a pinch. Were a lot better off than most think on our oline as long as Jake is ready to go at the start of the season. We just need to add one more decent tackle for depth and I think were ready to roll.

Last edited:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Have there been any reports that have prompted this? Unless i've missed something there seems to be radio silence about Jones although that might be because there's nothing of substance to report. I don't suppose we'll hear anything until training camp when coaches will be able to see up close whether he's ready or not.

I hope he is because having someone who may be good enough to start but, at the very least, will provide cover for all 3 interior line positions is priceless. Obviously I hope he can start. I'd like him to eventually replace Wells (whether it be this year or next) but I'd still take Robinson to play LG and then take over for Jake Long in a year or two

fearsomefour

Legend
If the Rams like the progress being made by Jones and Washington I think they don't go Oline in the first round. Wells, Barnes, Washington and Jones inside looks a whole lot better if Washington and or Jones are ready to go.
Personally I am still going Matthews. I would rather draft a guy who can dominate than going with guys who should be solid.
If the plan is Washington or Jones at LG and have Long ready week one the Rams better be right.
Fielding a week interior line in our division will lead to another 1-5 division record.
Washington was scouted as having good natural size and strength and good athleticism and feet in the draft. But also was reported as having sloppy hands and technique. He is a young player still. But with the bringing in of other teams cast offs in Barksdale, Washington and a few others and the drafting of Jones, the approach to the O line has been driven by finding and developing value instead of investing highly in the draft. I don't really agree with this mentality but results will tell the tale.
Even the signing of Long was a value move. If he returned to Pro Bowl form, or close to it, he is a good value at that price.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
If the Rams like the progress being made by Jones and Washington I think they don't go Oline in the first round. Wells, Barnes, Washington and Jones inside looks a whole lot better if Washington and or Jones are ready to go.
Personally I am still going Matthews. I would rather draft a guy who can dominate than going with guys who should be solid.
If the plan is Washington or Jones at LG and have Long ready week one the Rams better be right.
Fielding a week interior line in our division will lead to another 1-5 division record.
Washington was scouted as having good natural size and strength and good athleticism and feet in the draft. But also was reported as having sloppy hands and technique. He is a young player still. But with the bringing in of other teams cast offs in Barksdale, Washington and a few others and the drafting of Jones, the approach to the O line has been driven by finding and developing value instead of investing highly in the draft. I don't really agree with this mentality but results will tell the tale.
Even the signing of Long was a value move. If he returned to Pro Bowl form, or close to it, he is a good value at that price.

When you have the best Oline coach on planet earth I think developing guys and not spending high picks on Olineman is the way to go. I mean for godsakes the guy turned barry richardson into a serviceable RT, hes a miracle worker! This allows us to use our premium picks on playmakers.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
4th round draft pick. He really needs to get playing time this year, if not starting by the end of it.

Alan

Legend
There hasn't been anything I've heard or read that gives me any confidence that he'll suddenly become starting material or even good backup material. I have the same reservations about Person and Washington. Barnes has merely "flashed" adequacy and I still consider him a backup.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
My ideal scenario for Jones is that he comes to camp ripped and wins the starting center job. I'd be willing to bet he has the playbook down by now (he's really smart), and he is the right size for the position. I would rather have a giant mauler type at both G spots, guys that are around 330, to compete in our division.

RamsFan14

Starter
So much hinges on Barret Jones imo, it's pretty frustrating that nobody knows what's going with him... No reports, nothing! Heard a lot of good things about Jones when it comes to desire and will to be a better player, so hopefully that surfaces this minicamp/training camp. We could sure use him on this team.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maaan, one of us needs to get VIP access to their war rooms. I'm dieing to know their draft board and scenarios of trading up or down. There wouldn't be anymore speculating within our team, but we could pay more attention to what other teams are doing. It's a vicious cycle of speculation every year. But hey, it does make draft day really exciting.

In the end the more we know, the more we want to know lol

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I have hope for Jones. Could fill a huge hole at LG or at center in the future.

duckhunter

Starter
I'll add some flavor to this thread. Not all the pieces are in place. Obviously, rams have looked at other guards prior to Saffold signing. Now a little quiet. The Rams could easily sign a FA LG or draft a OT and play him at LG ahead of Jones, essentially blocking his development. The big question is Long going to be ready and do we rush him. The draft may provide a OT early and we have Saffold able to play LT if needed. Irregardless, two OLinemen spots appear vacant and probably are filled through the draft. Who and how high. Let's see what pieces are added but as to Jones.

On paper, the starting LG position is open and Jones is in the hunt there. Going back to his college days, Jones handled big men well in pass pro with good hand fighting and neutralized em with the loss of only a step or two. In power running he did well usually turning the big fellas for a crease. He was adequate getting to the next level and getting a helmet on LBs. Jones recognized blitzes well and came off engagements well. The speed of the pro game still will be any young man's challenge whether blitzer or crafty 3 technique. You only get experience by playing.

I believe his best position is center due to his smarts to make line calls and be the glue of the unit. If Jones were to start at LG next to Wells he'd learn much from the experience and benefit immensely. Wells still has a lot to give all our young fellas, so no need to rush his exit.

Lots of ifs and unknowns unfortunately but we are getting to the place where we can develop people prior to throwing them in the water to sink or swim. It's a big step and one year developmental time is usually done by the well run organizations.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Barrett Jones = Rokevious Watkins until he proves otherwise.

Jones was an all american at 3 different positions on the oline and has somthing Rok didnt have MOTIVATION if you dont have that you will fail at almost everything in life. They are nothing alike.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Jones was an all american at 3 different positions on the oline and has somthing Rok didnt have MOTIVATION if you dont have that you will fail at almost everything in life. They are nothing alike.

They're alike in that both are/were unknown NFL commodities that people on this board have penciled in as starters before there was anything to indicate that was the case.

Jones was significantly better than Watkins in college, no doubt about it. Unfortunately that doesn't mean he's going to produce at this level.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
They're alike in that both are/were unknown NFL commodities that people on this board have penciled in as starters before there was anything to indicate that was the case.

Jones was significantly better than Watkins in college, no doubt about it. Unfortunately that doesn't mean he's going to produce at this level.

I get what your saying but Id say Jones has about a 95% better chance at becoming that player we hoped he would be than what Rok did. But I agree hes still nothing untill he proves it on the field.

jap

Legend
There hasn't been anything I've heard or read that gives me any confidence that he'll suddenly become starting material or even good backup material. I have the same reservations about Person and Washington. Barnes has merely "flashed" adequacy and I still consider him a backup.

Nobody had heard anything about then rookie Mark Setterstrom in 2006 when Coach Bou promoted him to the starting OL in the 2nd half of the season. Nevertheless, Mark took over his starting guard assignment like a solid seasoned pro and proved to be a sound technician after spending the TC, the pre-season and the 1st half of the 2006 season boosting his natural strength.

Coach Bou doesn't make waves in the press. You will
see his work and production of his charges on the field. :D