If Barrett is Believed to be Ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
jap bringing back fond memories:
Nobody had heard anything about then rookie Mark Setterstrom in 2006 when Coach Bou promoted him to the starting OL in the 2nd half of the season. Nevertheless, Mark took over his starting guard assignment like a solid seasoned pro and proved to be a sound technician after spending the TC, the pre-season and the 1st half of the 2006 season boosting his natural strength.

Coach Bou doesn't make waves in the press. You will
see his work and production of his charges on the field. :D
I remember Mark very well. I mentioned him in another thread a while ago in reference to a low round guard turning out to be a good player (before all the injuries). Those were the days when you could actually get a good O-line player low in the draft. Those days are long gone for better or for worse.

I'm not sure how your example pertains to this conversation though. As you stated, we heard and saw some good things from him in his first season. That's certainly not the case with Jones. In fact, Jones couldn't even beat out any of our backups when it came to getting some playing time. Unless he was still suffering from his lisfranc injury, loudly denied by everyone, that isn't good news and doesn't bode well for the future.

As for Bou not making waves in the press, what waves could he possibly be making?

Alan

Legend
blackbart thinking something different:
Not even close Rok was not hurt he was fat and did not have the drive to take advantage of his opportunity.
Not's not the point he's making blackbart. His point is that no matter what a player's perceived potential is, it means nothing until he shows it on the field.

fearsomefour

Legend
When you have the best Oline coach on planet earth I think developing guys and not spending high picks on Olineman is the way to go. I mean for godsakes the guy turned barry richardson into a serviceable RT, hes a miracle worker! This allows us to use our premium picks on playmakers.
Talent is talent. He is a good coach but if you give a guy scraps he can only do so much.
That said, his work with Barksdale and Barnes has certainly been solid. I am not saying Jones and or Washington wont work out well but we dont know. I want a blue chipper up there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jones was an all american at 3 different positions on the oline and has somthing Rok didnt have MOTIVATION if you dont have that you will fail at almost everything in life. They are nothing alike.

Brett Rhomberg won the Rimington award too. College accolades don't always translate.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not's not the point he's making blackbart. His point is that no matter what a player's perceived potential is, it means nothing until he shows it on the field.
They all have to prove it but there is a big difference in a guy in trouble coming into camp fat not once but twice and a guy with an injury and in recovery time. A lisfranc injury is a painful one with a long recovery time. I don't think they ever had thoughts of playing him last year putting him at risk even though he could have been ready the last couple of games.

As for talent level I believe he would have been a 2nd round pick before the injury and I'm with fearsomefour, get more bluechip guys for Bou to work with instead of guys who are low round or cast offs and lets see how good this unit can be. Controlling the LOS is the way to win in 2014 and the future.

Alan

Legend
blackbart still missing the point:
They all have to prove it but there is a big difference in a guy in trouble coming into camp fat not once but twice and a guy with an injury and in recovery time. A lisfranc injury is a painful one with a long recovery time. I don't think they ever had thoughts of playing him last year putting him at risk even though he could have been ready the last couple of games.

As for talent level I believe he would have been a 2nd round pick before the injury and I'm with fearsomefour, get more bluechip guys for Bou to work with instead of guys who are low round or cast offs and lets see how good this unit can be. Controlling the LOS is the way to win in 2014 and the future.
While all that might true, it has nothing to do with his point. It does point out the reasons many of us, you included, haven't given up on him. Yet. :)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not even close Rok was not hurt he was fat and did not have the drive to take advantage of his opportunity.

Does baby fat count? I hope Jones comes to camp looking a little more chiseled.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

I think a lot of what Jones had was a result of his injury not slacking off like Rok

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think a lot of what Jones had was a result of his injury not slacking off like Rok
Night and day in that regard really. Whether or not they're ready to start him and at what position really remains to be seen.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame

.[/QUOTE
I hope so, too. He does seem to have a lot of baby-fat, kind of looks like a cherub, or Colin Montgomerie. I sure hope we don't recognize this guy when we see him next....

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think we will have our answer on Jones by the 13th pick of round 1 in the 2014 draft or at least by the time the Rams have picked in the 2nd round.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think we will have our answer on Jones by the 13th pick of round 1 in the 2014 draft or at least by the time the Rams have picked in the 2nd round.

Agreed, it will say a lot.

Of course Snisher will tell straight up, right now, they have full confidence in those guys. Kinda puzzling, isn't it?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Agreed, it will say a lot.

Of course Snisher will tell straight up, right now, they have full confidence in those guys. Kinda puzzling, isn't it?
Puzzling? no, did you see the look on Fisher's face when he said it? He's almost smirking at most draft questions. He isn't going to let you know one iota of his and Snead's draft plans. And I guess that is part of being in their position. It's like playing poker. I don't doubt he has full confidence in those guys. That doesn't mean he won't upgrade and make the position stronger. Tough job they have no doubt.