I think the Rams are hoping for one more year with this offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
As much as I like Corbett, I still became an advocate to trade for Rodney Hudson, it's not often a talent like his comes available, and imo measures right up there with our acquisition of Whitworth. Hudson & a Raider 7'th round pick went to Arizona for their 3'rd rounder, ... I would have made that trade in a snap. Hudson's 2021 CAP hit is about a $1million less than what Blythe's was for 2020, and his future CAP could have been absorbed by a Whitworth retirement in 2022.
Not that it was necessary, the Rams did have other alternatives remaining in order to increase available CAP, the biggest being a Stafford extension. jmo.

Yes, all that is true. They coulda freed up money if they wanted to. Looks like they didn't absolutely have to. Then it comes down to the draft capital ARZ gave up.

With the third pick the Rams drafted LB Earnest Jones. I can say Rams badly needed a LB. The pick got a solid grade. Did the Rams need a young LB more than they needed a older C still playing really well? I'd say no. Rams will get 4 years on the cheap and fill a big hole in that D with this kid. At least that's my opinion.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams are in a really bad situation since the OL we have drafted haven't planned it only Corbett has planned out and he was signed from Cleveland not a draft pick. We have other priorities besides just OLmen we have Whit's advanced age, Noeboom, Shelton, Corbett possibly gone. We have t resign DWill #1 priority in the team next year.

We must improve the OL you watch they will suck like they did last year. What would make any difference from last year to this year all have had enough experience some are going into their second contract after this season. I seriously worry for Stafford at least I feel he will feel frustrated by Snead/McVays lack of leadership when it comes to the OL.

I honestly don't know how the OL can be considered to be good this off season when they are the same as last year minus our starting lousy Center and Whit is 1 season older.

Probably because the offensive line as a unit was actually good last year

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't think that's correct. Have read a couple articles that the Rams' draft class will only reduce their cap space by about $1.2M.

Only the top-51 contracts count against the cap at this point in time. Once signed, the contracts of the nine draft choices would replace nine contracts that currently count against the cap. So it's a net calculation; and the net increase in this case is only projected to be about $1.2M.
Reality is those 6th rounders won't even have top 51 contracts and the 5th rounder is nearly a wash if he even counts.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Lastly I accept that the Rams are in it to win it in 2021. They are thinking Super Bowl. So adding the speed above all else was part of that focus. Whether that's a good call, well, we are going to find out. If they do win it all it validates the approach.
This is another ruthless, no holds barred strategy move by McVay.

If you're playing in all out, win the Super Bowl, the future is now mode, speed at WR was important than a draft center or left tackle who might add benefit in the future. And imo it was in fact a serious weakness in the offense that had to be addressed if you want Stafford (and the O and the team) to succeed now, not two or three years from now.

If you're in conventional build a team mode, you draft for the oline. You're patient. You're willing to wait until it to all comes together. Why worry about winning the Super Bowl this year?

McVay isn't patient.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is another ruthless, no holds barred strategy move by McVay.

If you're playing in all out, win the Super Bowl, the future is now mode, speed at WR was important than a draft center or left tackle who might add benefit in the future. And imo it was in fact a serious weakness in the offense that had to be addressed if you want Stafford (and the O and the team) to succeed now, not two or three years from now.

If you're in conventional build a team mode, you draft for the oline. You're patient. You're willing to wait until it to all comes together. Why worry about winning the Super Bowl this year?

McVay isn't patient.

WRONG!!! He is just not willing to settle. To say he isn’t looking ahead is silly though.Look at the draft picks & these players are still raw.

TuTu was at combine weigh in 150lbs. So Really? NFL ready?

BTW- who is The Rams starting Center?

oldnotdead

Legend
Why are people constantly wanting to reinvent the wheel? Why don't people simply accept that perhaps the FO and McVay like who they have? Personally, I think the only question this year on the o-line is who will play start at center (Allen who is the most likely or Shelton) and who will start at LG. I'm not so sure Edwards will return to that position. With Evans, and Brewer in contention and a new o-line coach I don't think Edwards at LG is a given.

Next year I think they will move on from Havenstein unless they pull the trigger on him this year. They are actually paying Havenstein substantially more than Whitworth this year which makes no sense. Whitworth's contract structure is basically a 2 year deal with this being the second year. Playing Noteboom at RT will give him much-needed experience making it a natural move to LT next year writing his contract extension to reflect that new position.

Edwards would then play swing OT for one year before moving over to RT in 2022.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why are people constantly wanting to reinvent the wheel? Why don't people simply accept that perhaps the FO and McVay like who they have? Personally, I think the only question this year on the o-line is who will play start at center (Allen who is the most likely or Shelton) and who will start at LG. I'm not so sure Edwards will return to that position. With Evans, and Brewer in contention and a new o-line coach I don't think Edwards at LG is a given.

Next year I think they will move on from Havenstein unless they pull the trigger on him this year. They are actually paying Havenstein substantially more than Whitworth this year which makes no sense. Whitworth's contract structure is basically a 2 year deal with this being the second year. Playing Noteboom at RT will give him much-needed experience making it a natural move to LT next year writing his contract extension to reflect that new position.

Edwards would then play swing OT for one year before moving over to RT in 2022.

Talk about reinventing the wheel ?

My question before the draft was who are you going to cut if you Draft 2 Offensive Lineman.

My concerns were Center position 1 as well.

1.Rob Havienstien- going into 2020 I was looking at The Rams salary cap.
I thought he needed to be traded along with Brockers.Reason depth & Brewer coming back.
2.Evans actually played as good as Big Rob in 2019 as a 22 year old rookie.
3.Anchrum seemed like a stroke of luck to play RG.Could also play OT if needed at 6’2.Plus there were rumors early he could maybe play center.

Once Evans played LG at a high level it made sense to keep Big Rob Havienstien.He is such a veteran leader & is signed through 2022.
The last thing The Rams need is more change next season.

We can talk center later.Brewer played RT when Havienstien & Evans were hurt for a series in 2019.Anchrum as well in 2020.

I will say Jamil Demby as Ram Fans want to talk crap about his play is better now than his rookie & 2nd yr. Seasons. His rookie year in camp I’d yell at him.Dude could not get the count snap straight.Noteboom started joining in. It was bad.The was The Rams back up Offensive line when they went to The SuperBowl. Add Brian Allen as well.(Demby got cut,but brought back).I think that Red head from Washington as well?

So I Laugh MY FREAKING AZZ OFF at ALL these Johnny come lately know it all YOUTUBERS.
I’m one that year in & year out follow this OFFENSIVE LINE.

— I also respect your opinions & views.I laugh at Merlin about his take on Austin Blythe & will LMFAO if he beats out that Oklahoma kid.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My track record has been pretty solid.I lost both my ROD wagers.

1. Was to BubbaRam that Williams would make the 2018 roster,basically over Demby.I think Kromer went with 7 Offensive Lineman.Demby & Williams both got cut.I can’t tell you who the other lineman was? Demby lasted like 2 weeks in Detroit & was brought back.

2. Anchrum was drafted as The Rams last pick.Les Snead traded back & had 3 7th rd. Picks again.I lost The Rod wager a Offensive lineman would not be drafted. I go deep on evaluating this group.

I don’t go on the FANTASY DRAFTING thing. I still ask NOW who will The Rams CUT(KEEP) on the 50plus ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes, all that is true. They coulda freed up money if they wanted to. Looks like they didn't absolutely have to. Then it comes down to the draft capital ARZ gave up.

With the third pick the Rams drafted LB Earnest Jones. I can say Rams badly needed a LB. The pick got a solid grade. Did the Rams need a young LB more than they needed a older C still playing really well? I'd say no. Rams will get 4 years on the cheap and fill a big hole in that D with this kid. At least that's my opinion.

I think your question & answer are different.Yes The Rams needed a young play calling LB that will help The Rams defense & if not special teams. I see a couple of LBers & Offensive Lineman getting cut as well.Howard,Kiser,Holland,Young ?
That Dakota kid Juju ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
All accurate but I don't think it's that bad a situation regarding the pending free agents.

Should the Rams want to retain Brewer, he's easy to keep as an Exclusive Rights Free Agent.

Should Shelton win the center job and do well, he can be held onto with a tender offer. If he does not start or prove to be a valuable reserve, he may not even be tendered.

Of the three pending unrestricted free agents, I like Corbett the best and hope the Rams can re-sign him.

Noteboom and/or Allen would need to have productive seasons in 2021 to be free agents the Rams would want to retain. I suppose it's possible with Noteboom. In the case of Allen, I guess anything is possible.

Will be interesting to see how things play-out with the projected starting OTs. Whitworth will soon be collecting Social Security, and while Havenstein will still be under contract, his cap hit could be too high for the Rams to keep.

So assuming Whitworth retires, even if Allen and Noteboom leave in free agency but the Rams sign Corbett (big IF), they could have a decent group to start an OL-build ...
Corbett (C/G)
Havenstein (RT)
Edwards (LG)
Evans and Brewer (G/T)
Anchrum (G)

The Freaking FUNNY thing such as OLDSCHOOL who has a weak spot for being WRONG doesn’t even know who The Starting Center For 2021 is going to be.

The Rams PAY there PLAYERS.There is no Doubt about that.Who knows what
The Rams roster is going to look like.

Now they are talking about the WR group. I just say once again,talk about depth.

My pick was Landon Dickerson.Les Snead said if they drafted a Offensive Lineman it would have had to be a Redshirt.

I maybe wrong,but I will state my belief about Chandler Brewer & The Rams was Covid gave him a chance to grow & sit out.Both will be better for it.
The preseason will show a lot.
A.Jackson & those 8 that are not apart of the 7 will get a lot of playing time.

Evans,Corbett,Allen,Whitworth,Havienstien,Noteboom,Edwards will probably play however many snaps Stafford plays ?

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I think your question & answer are different.Yes The Rams needed a young play calling LB that will help The Rams defense & if not special teams. I see a couple of LBers & Offensive Lineman getting cut as well.Howard,Kiser,Holland,Young ?
That Dakota kid Juju ?

Could be. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Rams pick up another LB'er anyway. Rookies are rookies after all.

Something else to consider. Perhaps the Rams did offer a third for Hudson. ARZ's third would be the the higher pick.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Could be. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Rams pick up another LB'er anyway. Rookies are rookies after all.

Something else to consider. Perhaps the Rams did offer a third for Hudson. ARZ's third would be the the higher pick.

Yeah - I would think not. There is no indication & reason. Salary cap & development. Who are The Rams going to cut as it is ? The numbers don’t add up.The Rams will keep 2 players on the practice squad.

You look at the direction The Rams are going to go.It looks like special teams on the offense. Meaning what nobody is talking about is less defensive players.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Reality is those 6th rounders won't even have top 51 contracts and the 5th rounder is nearly a wash if he even counts.
That's correct. Spotrac has a nice analysis of the impact once the rookies sign.

It ill probably be the five players taken in rounds 2-4 that will replace the current five contracts ranked 47-51 for cap purposes; and the net impact should be approximately an additional $1.2M hit to the cap