I think the Rams are hoping for one more year with this offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boom is gonna be a FA. Spending effort on him so he can go play for another team would suck. If you play him even 6 games at LT and he is solid some asshole team will throw money at him.
And yet that's a very Snead thing to hope for, that comp pick from another team signing him.

Back to OP though technically it would be two years out of this line because we're told McVay won't start a rookie on the line. We have the following going to be free agents after this season:

Noteboom
Corbett
Allen
Shelton (RFA)
Brewer (ERFA)

Add to that Andrew Whitworth who's hinted at retirement a couple years in a row and will be 40 during this season that leaves us with Anchrum, Havenstein, Edwards, Evans, Alaric Jackson, Jordan Meredith and Whitworth on the roster for 2022. I don't see a center so that means a veteran signing. Next season will be very interesting for the OL.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams are in a really bad situation since the OL we have drafted haven't planned it only Corbett has planned out and he was signed from Cleveland not a draft pick. We have other priorities besides just OLmen we have Whit's advanced age, Noeboom, Shelton, Corbett possibly gone. We have t resign DWill #1 priority in the team next year.

We must improve the OL you watch they will suck like they did last year. What would make any difference from last year to this year all have had enough experience some are going into their second contract after this season. I seriously worry for Stafford at least I feel he will feel frustrated by Snead/McVays lack of leadership when it comes to the OL.

I honestly don't know how the OL can be considered to be good this off season when they are the same as last year minus our starting lousy Center and Whit is 1 season older.
You're consistent i'll give you that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
And yet that's a very Snead thing to hope for, that comp pick from another team signing him.

Back to OP though technically it would be two years out of this line because we're told McVay won't start a rookie on the line. We have the following going to be free agents after this season:

Noteboom
Corbett
Allen
Shelton (RFA)
Brewer (ERFA)

Add to that Andrew Whitworth who's hinted at retirement a couple years in a row and will be 40 during this season that leaves us with Anchrum, Havenstein, Edwards, Evans, Alaric Jackson, Jordan Meredith and Whitworth on the roster for 2022. I don't see a center so that means a veteran signing. Next season will be very interesting for the OL.

The thing is our team is likely to know in advance how it plays out. I fully expect that Corbett & Noteboom will receive contract extension offers well before they hit free agency, we'll probably start hearing scuttlebutt mid-season and see signings around November. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is our team is likely to know in advance how it plays out. I fully expect that Corbett & Noteboom will receive contract extension offers well before they hit free agency, we'll probably start hearing scuttlebutt mid-season and see signings around November. jmo.
We've all made assumptions of what the team will or won't do and almost universally been left disappointed :)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We've all made assumptions of what the team will or won't do and almost universally been left disappointed :)

Are you of the opinion that the Rams won't make offers or that they will ultimately be rejected ?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you of the opinion that the Rams won't make offers or that they will ultimately be rejected ?
Anything is possible. I don't know that they will be extended during the season though I think they wait until after the season when they know the extent of the salary cap increase. But again it's hard to tell what this front office and coach will or won't do. I don't like going into the season with the OL constituted the way it is but that just goes to show none of us know what they'll do as I was far from alone in that opinion.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We have the following going to be free agents after this season:

Noteboom
Corbett
Allen
Shelton (RFA)
Brewer (ERFA)

Add to that Andrew Whitworth who's hinted at retirement a couple years in a row and will be 40 during this season that leaves us with Anchrum, Havenstein, Edwards, Evans, Alaric Jackson, Jordan Meredith and Whitworth on the roster for 2022.

All accurate but I don't think it's that bad a situation regarding the pending free agents.

Should the Rams want to retain Brewer, he's easy to keep as an Exclusive Rights Free Agent.

Should Shelton win the center job and do well, he can be held onto with a tender offer. If he does not start or prove to be a valuable reserve, he may not even be tendered.

Of the three pending unrestricted free agents, I like Corbett the best and hope the Rams can re-sign him.

Noteboom and/or Allen would need to have productive seasons in 2021 to be free agents the Rams would want to retain. I suppose it's possible with Noteboom. In the case of Allen, I guess anything is possible.

Will be interesting to see how things play-out with the projected starting OTs. Whitworth will soon be collecting Social Security, and while Havenstein will still be under contract, his cap hit could be too high for the Rams to keep.

So assuming Whitworth retires, even if Allen and Noteboom leave in free agency but the Rams sign Corbett (big IF), they could have a decent group to start an OL-build ...
Corbett (C/G)
Havenstein (RT)
Edwards (LG)
Evans and Brewer (G/T)
Anchrum (G)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Anything is possible. I don't know that they will be extended during the season though I think they wait until after the season when they know the extent of the salary cap increase. But again it's hard to tell what this front office and coach will or won't do. I don't like going into the season with the OL constituted the way it is but that just goes to show none of us know what they'll do as I was far from alone in that opinion.

I can see waiting on 2022 CAP ramifications to offer Stafford's extension, but Noteboom, especially if his snaps remain low, won't have a lot of bargaining power, Corbett likely gets a nice salary jump & a long term contract offer if he performs well in 2021, and any long term contract will benefit the Rams overall 2022 CAP situation. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All accurate but I don't think it's that bad a situation regarding the pending free agents.

Should the Rams want to retain Brewer, he's easy to keep as an Exclusive Rights Free Agent.

Should Shelton win the center job and do well, he can be held onto with a tender offer. If he does not start or prove to be a valuable reserve, he may not even be tendered.

Of the three pending unrestricted free agents, I like Corbett the best and hope the Rams can re-sign him.

Noteboom and/or Allen would need to have productive seasons in 2021 to be free agents the Rams would want to retain. I suppose it's possible with Noteboom. In the case of Allen, I guess anything is possible.

Will be interesting to see how things play-out with the projected starting OTs. Whitworth will soon be collecting Social Security, and while Havenstein will still be under contract, his cap hit could be too high for the Rams to keep.

So assuming Whitworth retires, even if Allen and Noteboom leave in free agency but the Rams sign Corbett (big IF), they could have a decent group to start an OL-build ...
Corbett (C/G)
Havenstein (RT)
Edwards (LG)
Evans and Brewer (G/T)
Anchrum (G)
You both agree and disagree with me in this post :D

We don't know if Boom will be worth resigning, he clearly isn't as a guard and he's had very limited snaps at LT. We're also not likely to see him play much this year to determine if he's worth retaining so we'd have to trust the coaching staff that he's worth retaining and playing moving forward and there are mixed results on that with himself and Allen.
Allen has only shown us bad play.
Corbett we've seen some solid play at guard but nothing from him at center.

Three free agents we just don't have enough info on going forward or what we have is mostly bad.

Evans IMO hasn't shown us he's worth anything going forward so that's a big question mark out of the people still on the roster.
Edwards has been good at guard.
Brewer we know nothing about same with Anchrum.

Of the group you have us going forward with we have an moderately expensive RT who's just ok. A LG in Edwards who will be entering the last year of his contract. Corbett if he's resigned has been good but we don't know where he'll play going forward. Evans who's shown very little to be excited about and two complete question marks in Brewer and Anchrum. That's a very shaky OL group to start a season with for a playoff hopeful team.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see waiting on 2022 CAP ramifications to offer Stafford's extension, but Noteboom, especially if his snaps remain low, won't have a lot of bargaining power, Corbett likely gets a nice salary jump & a long term contract offer if he performs well in 2021, and any long term contract will benefit the Rams overall 2022 CAP situation. jmo.
If Boom doesn't get snaps why bother resigning him? Even if we do resign him and Corbett and Whitworth retires is that a good OL? Boom, Edwards (in the last year of his deal), Corbett, who knows what at RG and a declining Havenstein at RT?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Boom doesn't get snaps why bother resigning him? Even if we do resign him and Corbett and Whitworth retires is that a good OL? Boom, Edwards (in the last year of his deal), Corbett, who knows what at RG and a declining Havenstein at RT?

The only reason Noteboom isn't getting snaps is because Whitworth has aged so well, although McVay/Snead are still going to decide based on his limited LT snaps as he already blew it at LG, so this is what will make Noteboom inexpensive to re-sign, and whether he's to eventually start or go forward as a back-up. Either way, I believe we'll either draft another LT to compete with Noteboom or spend the bucks on another free agent, but if Noteboom remains cheap, retaining him may be in our best interests, even if only short term.

If Corbett plays at Center as well as he did at RG, he'll get a good extension offer imo.

Ellard80

Legend
Rams are in a really bad situation since the OL we have drafted haven't planned it only Corbett has planned out and he was signed from Cleveland not a draft pick. We have other priorities besides just OLmen we have Whit's advanced age, Noeboom, Shelton, Corbett possibly gone. We have t resign DWill #1 priority in the team next year.

We must improve the OL you watch they will suck like they did last year. What would make any difference from last year to this year all have had enough experience some are going into their second contract after this season. I seriously worry for Stafford at least I feel he will feel frustrated by Snead/McVays lack of leadership when it comes to the OL.

I honestly don't know how the OL can be considered to be good this off season when they are the same as last year minus our starting lousy Center and Whit is 1 season older.
were they as good as some seem to think? probably not.

But "suck"... yeah you are not going to find any metrics anywhere that back that up.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like to build upon common sense assumptions, so... on the assumption the Rams win the Superbowl in 2021 we have the same line returning for the 2022 repeat!

Happy Yes It Is GIF
Forgone conclusion, I think you meant (I'd add a smiley here but I have no idea how to do it anymore)

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Despite a tough cap situation and limited draft capital, Snead managed to secure more picks and re-sign Floyd. Snead does not like to leave starting positions to chance. The Rams have rarely drafted a “has to start opening day” player since fisher left.
Again, there isn’t one player in this draft that the Rams would consider an absolutely must start player.

Next year they will be in a better cap situation and have a ton of picks. When this year ends and the season is evaluated, I suspect any glaring hole will be addressed prior to the draft.
THEN, a player or two might be drafted.

This is the year for all of the young depth guys to prove they can step into a starting role by next season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams currently have 11 draft picks in 2022. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's:

2nd round
Two 3rd round
4th round
5th round
Three 6th rounds
Two 7th rounds

With that kind of capital to go around it would seem completely unreasonable to not come out with at least three offensive linemen right? The Rams currently have two offensive linemen set for free agency and Whitworth isn't getting any younger. Even if you like the depth that you have currently it seems like just a matter of time before you're going to need people behind them as the depth guys or to compete for starting roles.

My assumption is that in 2022 they re-sign noteboom to prove himself one last time for the left tackle spot, re-sign Corbett provided he plays center well this year, leave David Edwards at Left guard, leave havenstein at right tackle, and whoever wins the right guard spot this year likely returns to the spot in 2022. Then they can draft a left tackle prospect and maybe some guard combinations just in case they can't afford Edwards after next year. But those draft picks will get to sit a year before being asked to play just like Allen and noteboom when they were first given starting positions.

What do you think?

Ram Rally,I believe Ram Fans at some point need to come to a realization that a Offensive Line isn’t built over night.
Just look back a Les Snead drafting at #2 in the whole draft.To me I was about trading back & adding draft picks. We can have our own dreams of what The Rams draft.
I continue to ask the question about David Edwards & Bobby Evans in 2020 after the 2019 season. Where would you draft them if they were coming out last season ?

My point being Offensive Lineman take awhile to develop.We can venture back.I just don’t understand
looking at The Rams process.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ram Rally,I believe Ram Fans at some point need to come to a realization that a Offensive Line isn’t built over night.
Just look back a Les Snead drafting at #2 in the whole draft.To me I was about trading back & adding draft picks. We can have our own dreams of what The Rams draft.
I continue to ask the question about David Edwards & Bobby Evans in 2020 after the 2019 season. Where would you draft them if they were coming out last season ?

My point being Offensive Lineman take awhile to develop.We can venture back.I just don’t understand
looking at The Rams process.
David Edwards was a pretty good guard last year so I guess I would draft him in the second round knowing what I know now. And yes I agree the offensive line is not built overnight. That's why I think the Rams are developing their current depth so that they can grow into starting positions. Corbett, Edwards, havenstein, and whoever wins the guard spot at right guard this year I expect to return next year. That leaves us with just the left tackle position to figure out and that would probably be note boom who they are also developing. So doesn't that align with what you're saying? Wouldn't that mean that the Rams have spent the last 4 years preparing for 2022?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Despite a tough cap situation and limited draft capital, Snead managed to secure more picks and re-sign Floyd. Snead does not like to leave starting positions to chance. The Rams have rarely drafted a “has to start opening day” player since fisher left.
Again, there isn’t one player in this draft that the Rams would consider an absolutely must start player.

Next year they will be in a better cap situation and have a ton of picks. When this year ends and the season is evaluated, I suspect any glaring hole will be addressed prior to the draft.

This is the year for all of the young depth guys to prove they can step into a starting role by next season.
Cheers to that. I think the Rams process has been very clear. Draft a guy and let him learn behind starters and then eventually grow into positions. Unless you're a real gem like Cooper cup or John Johnson.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Since this is a Offensive Line Post & I want to be Right & say I told everyone so!!Just Joking,but I look at how The Rams are building there team.
MCVAY IS IN CHARGE!! LES SNEAD is Basically MCVAYS Bitch. Meaning LES runs the home,but Mcvay is in control & tells Les how he wants things.There are rules in place,but Mcvay changes things up & Les Snead follows those directions. They have an excellent relationship & work together.

Mcvay trust his coaches and gives them what they want.They try to spread the love around,and find out there needs.

Landon Dickerson to me was The Rams pick if he was there IMO.His medical was of question & made for the perfect offensive pick.This guy would have solidified the Offensive Line.Would have had a season to learn The Rams system & put pressure on Brian Allen at Center.
The enigma is Brian Allen.My view on him is he will be the starter? I have to add in Carberry & Austin Corbett to the mix.Is Center the position he wants ? Now it is a competition & Brian Allen has the thumbs up.
I find it interesting the group of Offensive Lineman working together.I will always remember my last & first NFL game type of setting.It was like winning a ticket to the Willy-Wonka chocolate factory.I think Inwas the only Rams Fan. I was yelling & screaming from the 50 yards line.
Whitworth & Sullivan brought the group together. I called them The
BIG 5.
https://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/the-big-5.50844/

Any way Whit & Hav are the 2 remaining & Jared Goff is no longer a Ram. —Noteboom,Havienstien,Corbett,Edwards,& Whitworth are the group working out together.Just trying to figure the relationship & what there thoughts of The Offensive Line is.They are the core & the heart there.We can venture back,and know there is something there & special.
—Andrew Whitworth is a GREAT RAM.I think that is over looked & taken for Granite.
—Rob Havienstien has been a Bookend RT .Go back & look at him in the first Hard Knocks swimming in the UCI pool.He has been a team leader for awhile,but has learned a lot from the Old Man.