I think the Rams are hoping for one more year with this offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
David Edwards was a pretty good guard last year so I guess I would draft him in the second round knowing what I know now. And yes I agree the offensive line is not built overnight. That's why I think the Rams are developing their current depth so that they can grow into starting positions. Corbett, Edwards, havenstein, and whoever wins the guard spot at right guard this year I expect to return next year. That leaves us with just the left tackle position to figure out and that would probably be note boom who they are also developing. So doesn't that align with what you're saying? Wouldn't that mean that the Rams have spent the last 4 years preparing for 2022?

I think it’s a year by year process.
—Yes I believe Joesph Noteboom is or was going to be The Rams LT in 2020 & 2021.
LMAO- great line! As Les Snead would say-(LMAO) GUESS WHAT ?

Andrew Whitworth cameback after almost retiring after The Whole New Orleans(LSU) thing happened.

Andrew Whitworth won NFL MAN award for his Off-the-Field to the LA/Venture community.

We can venture back to leaving Cinncy & him raising his family.The relationship with his Younger Coach who honors there friendship & his thoughts about the Organization.He knows Mcvay messed up cutting John Sullivan & Mcvay knows it.

The Fires & shootings questioning the meaning of life.The Jim Rome interview was great,because Wayne Gretzky told him to play as long as he can , able & still enjoys the game.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cheers to that. I think the Rams process has been very clear. Draft a guy and let him learn behind starters and then eventually grow into positions. Unless you're a real gem like Cooper cup or John Johnson.

What about Fuller ?

Yeah - a better example though for a need was Cam Akers.

Les Snead has grown as a GM & Mcvay helps him through the process.
The Rams are & have been one of the Youngest teams in The NFL.
You can start to see the age going up this season. Cam Akers was The Rams youngest Player.To say he doesn’t have upside would be delusional. If you look at some of the wholes The Rams offensive line created & didn’t get run right were countless.
If you break down film you will see mistakes fairly easy.I can say watching Bobby Evans play RG against both Seattle & Green Bay his run blocking was impressive.I actually think he is a better run blocker than David Edwards. Mcvay has said recently how impressed he was with Bobby moving inside.
The Fact Bobby Evans started & filled in for David Edwards & Cam Akers had some kind of rookie something for his yards in a Playoff(‘s?) was in part to the offensive line.
Jared Goff was 18-20 against Green Bay in the rain.First time NFL Fans were really being allowed in to Stadiums at bigger capacity.Bringing signs in & beating them on the seats in front of them making noise when Josh Reynolds missed a ball that went through his hands.
What about Bobby Evans one on one on a 3rd/4th & 1. The DE/OLB gets under Everett from the right side of the line & makes the tackle.
Wolford getting hurt on a designed run.Higbee had one assignment, just push Allen a little.
3 or 4 wildcats against Green Bay. Jared Goff with a broken thumb playing WR? WTF- how much trust do you have to have in your Offensive Line.What Jared Goff is going to block or catch a pass with a broken thumb? Johnny Hekker as your backup QB.Maybe The Rams just run the wild cat for all 4 downs.Maybe Staley & Mcvay watch the Denver film that Blake Bortles brought to him when he was 1 of the 4 QB’s not masking.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Some questions on the OL:
Does the OL perform well this year or does the fact they decided not to address it hurt the team?
Does the fact they decided not to address it, regardless of how well they play in 2021, combined with their cap situation doom the team for 2022?
If the Rams have a mediocre 2021 and a worse 2022 are McVay's and Snead's jobs in serious jeopardy?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Does the OL perform well this year or does the fact they decided not to address it hurt the team?
Does the fact they decided not to address it, regardless of how well they play in 2021, combined with their cap situation doom the team for 2022?
If the Rams have a mediocre 2021 and a worse 2022 are McVay's and Snead's jobs in serious jeopardy?
Well, I think we will have a really good offensive line this year.

I'm never going to count Whitworth out.
Cincinnati counted him out about 4 years ago and he's played at close to Pro Bowl level since then.
We thought he was done when he had that knee but he came back in record time and has looked great. I expect more of the same this year.
Edwards was one of our most consistent offensive lineman last year. He was scheduled to go in the second or third round but fell because of his college injury but has looked like a second or third rounder who should only be better this year.
I've always felt that you should always replace the weakest link in your offensive line, especially when it's your Center.
Corbett's movement has always reminded me of a center. Let's not forget that he was pick number 33 in the draft for a reason. I still think he is our upgrade at Center until proven wrong.
Evans at Right Guard could be pretty solid between Havenstein and Corbett, IMO.
His starting experience certainly shows that he knows the snap count and he should be a year stronger and a year more familiar with the offense.
They held onto Havenstein for a reason. He's a solid right tackle and another leader at the bookends.
We have solid backups who should know the offense with Anchrum, Shelton and Brewer.

We know, just by looking at our draft that the coaches have faith in them.

I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be improved on the offensive line this year, possibly much improved.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I am confused as to why the Rams have not or openly tried signed Austin Reiter.

Last two seasons he p,Ayer in 31 games, started 28, and no sacks last season.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/202...expected-to-become-free-agent-sign-elsewhere/

I believe Reiter is under the impression his value is greater than what the market is offering. The Chiefs made him an offer. It was reported Reiter was "weighing his options." Three days later KC signed Austin Blythe and then went on to draft Creed Humphrey.

I'm not sure if the Rams have made a push for him. But it is clear the drop off in price range from top tier interior linemen and average linemen is substantial. Even in the NFL draft we didn't see an interior lineman drafted until PHI took C Dickerson at pick 37.

So that's a pill Reiter will have to swallow. He was signed off the streets when Mitch Morse got hurt three seasons ago. He was serviceable and cheap so KC kept him. Now he's looking for more.

To be honest, KC fans saw him in the same light Ram fans see Blythe. Reiter is soft but athletic. He's far from an anchor but plays his roll in pass protection. I'm not sure if he'd ever be more than that.

Resigning him woulda been a bad omen for me after what I saw in that Super Bowl. The whole unit needed to be turned over a replaced. Amazingly it has been. But Blythe signed for basically the vet minimum. Reiter's price range is on par with his.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

As it stands, and on paper, I believe the starting OL will be better in 2021 than last year. My only real concern is if we get hit with injuries, this is where additional depth from the draft could have possibly helped insure a more consistent success. Corbett will be fine at Center imo, in fact I was advocating to move him inside following the 2019 season, as seen in my 2020 mock. I worry more about what's behind Corbett should he be injured. At RG the Rams will likely choose between Evans, Anchrum & Brewer, that appears to be a pretty strong group of competitors, even Demby & the newly acquired Alaric Jackson will be sniffing around. Every other OL position seems well established, Edwards enters only his 2'nd straight year starting at LG, now he'll prove why he owns it. Not enough credit is going to how much Stafford brings to reading defenses and getting his OL properly set, so that's just one more detail that will prove an advantage.

The only thing that I can see as possibly hurting McSnead's future status with the team is if something went wrong with Stafford, and this seems unlikely, although i'd prefer to see his extension taken care of sooner rather than later. jmo.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, I think we will have a really good offensive line this year.

I'm never going to count Whitworth out.
Cincinnati counted him out about 4 years ago and he's played at close to Pro Bowl level since then.
We thought he was done when he had that knee but he came back in record time and has looked great. I expect more of the same this year.
Edwards was one of our most consistent offensive lineman last year. He was scheduled to go in the second or third round but fell because of his college injury but has looked like a second or third rounder who should only be better this year.
I've always felt that you should always replace the weakest link in your offensive line, especially when it's your Center.
Corbett's movement has always reminded me of a center. Let's not forget that he was pick number 33 in the draft for a reason. I still think he is our upgrade at Center until proven wrong.
Evans at Right Guard could be pretty solid between Havenstein and Corbett, IMO.
His starting experience certainly shows that he knows the snap count and he should be a year stronger and a year more familiar with the offense.
They held onto Havenstein for a reason. He's a solid right tackle and another leader at the bookends.
We have solid backups who should know the offense with Anchrum, Shelton and Brewer.

We know, just by looking at our draft that the coaches have faith in them.

I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be improved on the offensive line this year, possibly much improved.
That's a nice take SS. I'm the same way with Whit. This time last year I was very worried about him, and was angry the Rams didn't address the OL. That was also coming off a season in which he got bullied early in the year by the successive weeks of power ends he faced on the schedule.

Then he goes on to have an absolutely superb season. So yeah I'm done underestimating him. I did it twice (also underestimated him when we signed him) and at this point who knows he may have a couple more years in him.

But age is undefeated at some point. My take on this roster right now and specifically OL is that we should have a good line this year because Blythe is gone. Blythe single-handedly allowed disruption of more plays than any OL I can recall over the course of a year in horns. He affected outside zone runs even with his half-ass seal blocks.

Corbs might not be a great Center in terms of line calls. But he's got a fucking pro QB behind him that will check his calls and help him ensure he makes the right ones. So he'll be fine. Rams are basically filling OG internally, which shouldn't be too tough. Whoever it is I think we'll be fine in 2020.

The prob is 2021 and beyond. It's scary man. And in general I get the feeling that McVay is still in need of a "young coach" lesson in the importance of the OL. But I'm willing to consider that maybe they get this right. Maybe Evans and Anchrum will be two plus starters for us that limit the impact of turnover next year.

Lastly I accept that the Rams are in it to win it in 2021. They are thinking Super Bowl. So adding the speed above all else was part of that focus. Whether that's a good call, well, we are going to find out. If they do win it all it validates the approach.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Overall i think it will appear to improve simply because we have a QB who can react quicker to trouble and avoid disaster, make a play.
LT is the only glaring unresolved personnel issue IMO. Boom may be serviceable if Whit retires but i think the Rams spend or trade to replace Whit if necessary.
Snead will be the guy who goes if we miss the playoffs the next two years. I don't see that happening. Nothing much worked in '19 and McV still managed a 9-7 result.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe Reiter is under the impression his value is greater than what the market is offering. The Chiefs made him an offer. It was reported Reiter was "weighing his options." Three days later KC signed Austin Blythe and then went on to draft Creed Humphrey.

I'm not sure if the Rams have made a push for him. But it is clear the drop off in price range from top tier interior linemen and average linemen is substantial. Even in the NFL draft we didn't see an interior lineman drafted until PHI took C Dickerson at pick 37.

So that's a pill Reiter will have to swallow. He was signed off the streets when Mitch Morse got hurt three seasons ago. He was serviceable and cheap so KC kept him. Now he's looking for more.

To be honest, KC fans saw him in the same light Ram fans see Blythe. Reiter is soft but athletic. He's far from an anchor but plays his roll in pass protection. I'm not sure if he'd ever be more than that.

Resigning him woulda been a bad omen for me after what I saw in that Super Bowl. The whole unit needed to be turned over a replaced. Amazingly it has been. But Blythe signed for basically the vet minimum. Reiter's price range is on par with his.
Comparing okay and all other tangibles Reuter is a better option for the Rams than what they have on their current roster.

Honestly, I am more confused about the Rodney Houston deal.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Stafford will have last say on line calls anyway, so that's almost a non-issue where Corbett is concerned, IMO.

To me, historically, looking at the Rams offensive lines and just offensive lines in general.

This is exactly how solid offensive lines are made.
You pick one up in free agency to plug an immediate extremely important hole. (LT)
And then you find a scrappy scrap heap Center in Sullivan. And you find a good cocky offensive line coach to work those two old wiley vets with your younger players. (I'm thinking they got rid of Sullivan about a year too early personally. He would have been the perfect vet/backup that might have been able to help Allen develop.)
Then they work those in with their younger drafted players like Havenstein and Noteboom and Edwards and Evans.
Those four guys are pros now.
Experienced on this team with this offense and with each other.

The house is NOT on fire and the sky is NOT falling. ; )

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Much appreciated! Yeah I can see all the icons but they're shaded out as if I can't select them

Try clearing your browser cache. You do not need to clear your passwords or anything extreme. Just clear the cache. (y)

They will appear after that.

Some browsers are holding memory that is causing that. A clear of cache resolves it.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
i certainly hope their plan isnt a bunch of rookies on the OL next year, especially consider how raw most OL are now coming into the nfl from college offenses

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Comparing okay and all other tangibles Reuter is a better option for the Rams than what they have on their current roster.

Honestly, I am more confused about the Rodney Houston deal.

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly KC's offer was or what Reiter is looking for. I just know the Chiefs moved on swiftly after Reiter didn't accept.

Rodney Hudson got traded to ARZ. His cap number is this year is between 2-3 million. Rams have roughly 7 million in cap space. After they sign their draft picks they will have very little remaining. Plus they didn't have many picks to start so acquiring a older player like Hudson would have been that much more expensive.

The Rams picked right before the Chiefs and the Chiefs got Creed Humphrey. That says a lot about how much they like Tutu. Lotta teams trying to get that style of player these days.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Rams have roughly 7 million in cap space. After they sign their draft picks they will have very little remaining.
I don't think that's correct. Have read a couple articles that the Rams' draft class will only reduce their cap space by about $1.2M.

Only the top-51 contracts count against the cap at this point in time. Once signed, the contracts of the nine draft choices would replace nine contracts that currently count against the cap. So it's a net calculation; and the net increase in this case is only projected to be about $1.2M.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly KC's offer was or what Reiter is looking for. I just know the Chiefs moved on swiftly after Reiter didn't accept.

Rodney Hudson got traded to ARZ. His cap number is this year is between 2-3 million. Rams have roughly 7 million in cap space. After they sign their draft picks they will have very little remaining. Plus they didn't have many picks to start so acquiring a older player like Hudson would have been that much more expensive.

The Rams picked right before the Chiefs and the Chiefs got Creed Humphrey. That says a lot about how much they like Tutu. Lotta teams trying to get that style of player these days.
I know Hudson went to the Chiefs. I’m scratching my head at the price tag. Well within reason for a team making a SB run. I disagree that the draft class will eat up the remaining cap space. Not sure @Allen2McVay has the precise number but I bet he’s is pretty darn close.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I don't think that's correct. Have read a couple articles that the Rams' draft class will only reduce their cap space by about $1.2M.

Only the top-51 contracts count against the cap at this point in time. Once signed, the contracts of the nine draft choices would replace nine contracts that currently count against the cap. So it's a net calculation; and the net increase in this case is only projected to be about $1.2M.

Yeah, I can't confirm that one way or the other. We're not far apart. It'll be even cheaper than my estimate because the Rams first pick didn't come until the late second round. So whether it cost 4 million or 1.2 million, it still leaves 3 to 6 million in cap space. Not a lot to work with. There's also a number of guys that get cut as the season approaches. It's good to have some wiggle room.

If I were to guess who the Rams starting center will be I'd say Brian Allen. His first two seasons were up and down so maybe the Rams will just roll the dice with him.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I know Hudson went to the Chiefs. I’m scratching my head at the price tag. Well within reason for a team making a SB run. I disagree that the draft class will eat up the remaining cap space. Not sure @Allen2McVay has the precise number but I bet he’s is pretty darn close.

Hudson is a Cardinal but originally drafted by KC. The Raiders traded him to ARZ. Creed Humphrey or Austin Blythe will start for the Chiefs.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

As much as I like Corbett, I still became an advocate to trade for Rodney Hudson, it's not often a talent like his comes available, and imo measures right up there with our acquisition of Whitworth. Hudson & a Raider 7'th round pick went to Arizona for their 3'rd rounder, ... I would have made that trade in a snap. Hudson's 2021 CAP hit is about a $1million less than what Blythe's was for 2020, and his future CAP could have been absorbed by a Whitworth retirement in 2022.
Not that it was necessary, the Rams did have other alternatives remaining in order to increase available CAP, the biggest being a Stafford extension. jmo.