How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Woods isn't going anywhere.

His dead money is pretty close to his salary, so even if the savings is actually savings, it'd be paying at least $13M for Woods to play somewhere else. Seeing as it's at most a matter of about $2M, I really think Woods will be welcomed back with open arms.

And yea, I think we're gonna really try to retain OBJ. He's made plenty of money and really, REALLY wants to win a Super Bowl. He loves this team and this offense.

He's been in a money situation in Cleveland and I don't think he's interested in going back to anything like that.

Based on how this team has integrated these players (OBJ, Von Miller, Sony Michel), I think every effort will be made to retain them.

LT will be a question... I think SJD is gonna be allowed to walk... and I think we'll be juggling a little in the secondary... but the big guys we got who are showing up now? Yeah, I don't see them going anywhere unless they want out after the season.

Don't bet the farm on retaining Woods.
Regardless how well the Rams are doing this post-season, they still have future needs to keep McSnead's success train moving along consistently, and WR won't be as big an issue as in years past. Jacob Harris, Ben Skowronek & the infamous TuTu Atwell have barely gotten their feet wet, and who knows if we draft yet another WR this next off-season. The Rams have 3 starting WR's in Kupp, OBJ & Jefferson, Woods becomes an expensive luxury fighting for snaps in a #3 or 4 WR role. Trading Woods may mean more than just saving a few million $ in CAP in a year where every extra dime may be crucial, it could also provide an additional draft pick. Woods is still in his prime at 30 years old next season provided he returns 100% from his ACL, and signing OBJ long term will keep his 2022 CAP hit low, not to mention a real reduction from Woods' 2023 thru 2025 contract hits which peak at $19.5mil. Take a look at the Spotrac 2022 WR free agent list and you will see that Wood's current fair market value should be quite competitive if traded.

I'm also not seeing LT as all that questionable either, I believe Noteboom has earned his shot at starting. If anything, Edwards at LG is more of a problem imo, ... I'd consider re-signing & moving Corbett back to LG and spending the savings from Whitworth's retirement on Brandon Scherff at RG.
jmo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sorry, but if there were a gun to my head on only six to keep, I'd go with Harris over Powell. Powell is a fantastic returnman, but Harris could be seriously special.
I get that.. but the impact Powell has had has been very measurable and significant.

You'd already have 4WRs in that scenario getting the vast majority of the snaps.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I get that.. but the impact Powell has had has been very measurable and significant.

You'd already have 4WRs in that scenario getting the vast majority of the snaps.

It has been, and honestly, if he had any value, it would be Atwell out the door and keeping seven wideouts, including Powell. I don't think McSnead will be so quick to dump a draft pick so soon, given the excellent production of John Franklin-Myers, so I think Atwell stays. That means that either Woods is traded or OBJ not retained. They could end up dealing one of Jefferson or Skowronek, but I think that's extremely unlikely and shortsighted.

Stump23

Rookie
You've heard that Michel has bone on bone in his knee? Or Akers. Haven't heard anything of the sort.
Yeah, heard it from some douchebag know it all on the radio.....who knows if true but I guess he had an original injury in college? That's what I recall him saying.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Naw fellow Ram fan. It's not conceivable when it comes to the money.

Draft picks DO make your team for the most part...you bring in the FAs to shore up weakness, that's what brought OBJ to the Rams...a weakness when Woods went down.

OBJ is gonna go where the money is...if the Rams win the SuperBowl, that only helps him get more...but NO WAY he's a Ram next year.
Hold my beer - Mr. Demoff

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't bet the farm on retaining Woods.
Regardless how well the Rams are doing this post-season, they still have future needs to keep McSnead's success train moving along consistently, and WR won't be as big an issue as in years past. Jacob Harris, Ben Skowronek & the infamous TuTu Atwell have barely gotten their feet wet, and who knows if we draft yet another WR this next off-season. The Rams have 3 starting WR's in Kupp, OBJ & Jefferson, Woods becomes an expensive luxury fighting for snaps in a #3 or 4 WR role. Trading Woods may mean more than just saving a few million $ in CAP in a year where every extra dime may be crucial, it could also provide an additional draft pick. Woods is still in his prime at 30 years old next season provided he returns 100% from his ACL, and signing OBJ long term will keep his 2022 CAP hit low, not to mention a real reduction from Woods' 2023 thru 2025 contract hits which peak at $19.5mil. Take a look at the Spotrac 2022 WR free agent list and you will see that Wood's current fair market value should be quite competitive if traded.

I'm also not seeing LT as all that questionable either, I believe Noteboom has earned his shot at starting. If anything, Edwards at LG is more of a problem imo, ... I'd consider re-signing & moving Corbett back to LG and spending the savings from Whitworth's retirement on Brandon Scherff at RG.
jmo.
Great post. Some believe there's no chance we trade Woods and I don't agree. Every game OBJ plays well and shows his versatility it becomes more and more likely we keep OBJ. If we do, we would have to move on from Woods/Van Jeff. Money wise it doesn't make sense to trade VJ so Woods is the likely person that goes. He would be a great fit in Detroit but also 30 other teams. Woods is a stud and should be back healthy.

And I agree with Noteboom starting at LT next year. Who knows if Whit even starts this week with his ankle injury (my guess is high ankle sprain based on how he got rolled up on). Noteboom has earned it and his time has come. Offer Whit a coaching job. I agree too about Edwards. He's been inconsistent and you can say the same about Corbett too. Our interior line is still pretty suspect to me and needs to improve next year.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think there is something else to consider in this equation. Woods was making comments about his lack of targets way before he was injured. And I believe that Stafford and Robert Woods never seemed to have much chemistry if you know what I mean.
Yet here comes OBJ and all he does is catch touchdowns.
I gotta believe that Coach Mac and Les are seeing the same thing.
Mebbe as one poster put it Woodsy would be a better fit for a timing-based QB like Goff or someone like that.
At any rate it's about scheme fit as much as anything else, and OBJ just works for what ever reason.
Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan~

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I think it starts with OBJ, If he wants to be a Ram it will be a much easier path. He seems to genuinely fit in, did you see him after the Kupp TD? I like everything I see from him and he is still learning the system and the timing with Matt. Love to see a path for him to stay

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wish we could get a 2nd rounder for Tutu

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
HOW DO WE KEEP OBJ?
I've been in this boat for a while now, but wondering if there are other people coming aboard now? OBJ once again shows his dominance in the red zone where he is unstoppable, and seems to be developing more overall chemistry with Stafford. He showed his route running and explosion today, and even his arm!! All his production is coming while learning an entirely new system mid season, and having to develop chemistry with his QB on the fly. This can't be emphasized enough.

If McVay wants OBJ back, Snead, Demoff & Tony Pastoors will figure out the numbers.

The ball will be in OBJ's court to decide if the Rams are worth signing a contract for less than he can get on the open market.

Hoping OBJ thinks this through and tells his agent to put the Rams first even if it's for millions less than other teams are offering.

odell-beckham-jr-111621-getty-ftr_aldt559nlpz81sx5eat8vzuvw.jpg

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The best way to keep everyone? Win. Make it to a Super Bowl and many players will want to try and run it back. Look at Tampa Bay. They brought back darn near everybody. Some might even take a discount to do it. I do suspect Whitworth would retire if the Rams win it all, but who knows.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hold my beer - Mr. Demoff
Precisely. I love Pat McAfee's recent rant on it, talking about how some teams act like the cap is gospel and others it doesn't apply to. Rams do whatever they want with the cap.

Remember when the 9ers were that team with Eddie Debartolo? And we were the bitter fans whose team abided by the cap? Yeah I don't miss those days at all.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not for nothing, but who is trading for Woods? Love the guy, but I cant imagine there's much demand for a 30 y/o WR, making 14 mill per year who's coming off an ACL injury and had already seen his numbers drop off a bit in the last 2 years.
I know the popular choice is Detroit, which really doesnt make sense considering they may not even be committed to the QB they have

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
once woods is back i just don't see it....

unless you think they going to push van jefferson to almost no targets.

Von miller however id certainly like to keep.
Unless you move Jefferson for a draft pick... I doubt a #3/#4WR gets you his original 2nd round value in return though

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not for nothing, but who is trading for Woods? Love the guy, but I cant imagine there's much demand for a 30 y/o WR, making 14 mill per year who's coming off an ACL injury and had already seen his numbers drop off a bit in the last 2 years.
I know the popular choice is Detroit, which really doesnt make sense considering they may not even be committed to the QB they have
I think Woods is a top 20-25 WR in the league and incredibly versatile. He still has 3-4 very productive years left in him I'd say. Never had injury issues ever before this freak ACL tear. I personally don't think demand will be the issue if we want to move on from him. Cap and money complications? Sure, maybe. But tons of teams would love to have Woods as their #2. He's better than a handful of teams #1 WR too. I think his respect around the NFL with players and coaches is much higher than the NFL fan gives him credit for. I understand the salary being a sticking point though. Just depends if our FO can work the cap magic.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Rams with the additional of cap space and the ways we discussed earlier on a different thread could be on between 48-60 million in cap. All depends who or what they prioritize.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Unless you move Jefferson for a draft pick... I doubt a #3/#4WR gets you his original 2nd round value in return though
I have zero problem with Jefferson being ignored on the depth chart. He'll get his payday at some point if he keeps working. And for now if he can't win snaps then have a good time on the bench. That competition for play time tends to lead to better production on the field so I'm fine with going that route.

Ideal lineup for next year would be Kupp > OBJ > Jefferson > Skow > Atwell. I'm fine with keeping Woody too if they can do that, because he's an excellent all around wideout, but I don't think they can.