How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its insane. If you single him up he should score like 80%+ of the time. I guess Baker really couldn't get him the ball.

But what @Merlin has said recently that I really agree with is the type of receiver OBJ is vs Woods. Woods is timing based intermediate stuff which was perfect for Goff. But Stafford has always loved a WR that can win 1-on-1s. Highpoint, back-shoulder, etc. I think OBJ is more talented overall, that's my opinion, but more importantly he's just a better fit with our new QB. Especially with how dominant he is in the RZ.

100%. stafford never really got going with woods. maybe trade him to the lions. goff would love to be able to throw to a spot he knows there will be a wr to catch it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a goalline monster, how the Browns couldn't score TD with him is criminal.

maxresdefault.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In order to keep OBJ the Rams either trade Woods or some wealthy players agree to pay cuts to fit OBJ under the cap. Woods won't be easy to trade with his contract, plus he's an excellent receiver with an even better career catch percentage than OBJ has. Ideally they don't have to move Woods.

Before the season the Rams couldn't have guessed that they'd end up getting OBJ. Its also still a guess as to wether or not Tutu, Harris and Skowronek can become key players in the Rams offense. But those three were part of the original plan. How committed do the Rams need to be to that plan if they retain OBJ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For all the reasons mentioned as to why folks want to keep OBJ, are the same reasons a team out there will pay him big $$ in FA.
Will it be the Rams? Just dont see how its possible. But that's a worry for another time, just need to enjoy the time we have left with OBJ, Von and Sony.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think OBj goes to Green Bay. It is going to hurt,but I saw how he was after the game with Matt Lafleur.Arron Rogers wants him.

Just glad he is a Ram right now. Sony, Von, and D.Williams are all going to get paid. Von Miller though might stay ?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't know exactly how we keep him, but damn - we MUST keep him.

Look how good he was for us last night in about, what, his 8th or 9th game with the Rams after joining at mid-season. How good will he be with a full training camp under his belt?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
OBJ < Woods. If its possible, you keep OBJ.

The guy is literally scoring a TD every single game now.

Maff class is hard.

Its insane. If you single him up he should score like 80%+ of the time. I guess Baker really couldn't get him the ball.

But what @Merlin has said recently that I really agree with is the type of receiver OBJ is vs Woods. Woods is timing based intermediate stuff which was perfect for Goff. But Stafford has always loved a WR that can win 1-on-1s. Highpoint, back-shoulder, etc. I think OBJ is more talented overall, that's my opinion, but more importantly he's just a better fit with our new QB. Especially with how dominant he is in the RZ.

"Hey Brad, this is Les ..."

(Don't get me wrong, I'd miss Woods, but I do agree OBJ is more talented, and Jared needs help in Detroit).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
(Don't get me wrong, I'd miss Woods, but I do agree OBJ is more talented, and Jared needs help in Detroit).
Which is why Detroit could offer him a 6 year 130 mill contract and not give up any picks

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Which is why Detroit could offer him a 6 year 130 mill contract and not give up any picks

True. I just hope McVay and Snead have something up their sleeve, because I really want the Rams to keep him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. I just hope McVay and Snead have something up their sleeve, because I really want the Rams to keep him.
Well, I say enjoy what we got at the moment. I feel that talking about potential downsides of future moves is bad juju

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that OBJ is so happy in LA, he might take a bit less money to stay here, but doubt it'd be much less.

Question becomes, do we trade Woods? The Lions would most likely jump on it for a few mid round picks, maybe we trade him for a 7th if they take all the dead money (I say this having zero idea if there would be any, but assume so since we've restructured him).

I think it's the smart thing to do. I love Woods, but OBJ has done this with no time to actually sync with Stafford and little time to grasp the offense? Terrifying to think what he can do with a full off-season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if they take all the dead money (I say this having zero idea if there would be any, but assume so since we've restructured him).
There's 8.6 mill in signing bonus + restructure that is a hit to the Rams cap, cant be avoided or passed on. He's already received that $$, nothing can be done about it

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'd keep Woods over OBJ. I'd prefer to keep both.

OBJ does not make the offense "tick" the same way Woods does with his blocking, pre-snap motion, etc. OBJ is more dynamic, and the better deep threat and red zone target, but I still think that we have others on the roster that can provide a poor man's version of that, or at least can find it externally via the draft or free agency. I am not so sure the same is true for Woods.

My gut instinct is that Snead finds a way to keep both in Horns for 2022-23.

RamWoodie

Legend
Are we really doing this... :wow2:

OBJ is basically on a "lease purchase plan"...that's it. NO WAY TO KEEP HIM.

IT'S SUPER BOWL OR BUST RIGHT NOW!!!

If it doesn't happen we can get use to just making the playoffs for awhile.

IT IS WHAT IT IS FOLKS!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
People been saying we are SB or bust for years now.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
This is a tough one we have so many big FAs, alot of OLmen, most of the ILBs, DWill, SJD etc this EXCLUDES OBJ, Von, Sony. I thought it was overkill when we got OBJ bc Woods was not hurt at the time we acquired him.

I WD prioritize Corbett, Von, DWill, SJD not sure on OBJ.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For all the reasons mentioned as to why folks want to keep OBJ, are the same reasons a team out there will pay him big $$ in FA.
Will it be the Rams? Just dont see how its possible. But that's a worry for another time, just need to enjoy the time we have left with OBJ, Von and Sony.
Cowherd mentioned that OBJ has already made $80 million as a player and another $42 million in endorsements. That’s a lot of cheddar. Plus he’s experienced being in a bad situation in Cleveland. Maybe he’s willing to take less to stay.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Personally, I'd make OBJ the top priority. He hasn't dropped a single pass since he arrived here and is the most sure thing red zone threat on the roster. I believe OBJ has more endorsement offers if he stays in the LA area and thus that could make up for the differences in salaries he'd get elsewhere. You think he wants to go to a place like Detroit with an even worse offense then he had in Cleveland? Dudes gonna take a decent deal with us after we win him a ring this year.

As to the GB thoughts, Rodgers isn't even assured of being there next year. He sure as hell isn't going to catch passes from Love. Oh and fuck the fudgePackers.

Hram

UDFA
In order to keep OBJ the Rams either trade Woods or some wealthy players agree to pay cuts to fit OBJ under the cap. Woods won't be easy to trade with his contract, plus he's an excellent receiver with an even better career catch percentage than OBJ has. Ideally they don't have to move Woods.

Before the season the Rams couldn't have guessed that they'd end up getting OBJ. Its also still a guess as to wether or not Tutu, Harris and Skowronek can become key players in the Rams offense. But those three were part of the original plan. How committed do the Rams need to be to that plan if they retain OBJ?
Consider moving van Jefferson?

Hram

UDFA
Woods, OBJ, Kupp, Higbee and Akers is a pretty decent receiving and running group. If there is a way to field that next year with a competent Oline, I say go for it!