How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Win a Super Bowl with him this year and sell him on the opportunity to run it back for another. He’s made a shit ton of money, loves playing and living in LA and knows he’s got stability within the organization.

Even if we don’t win it this year the above still applies to OBJ. The guy is a superstar who forced his way out of Cleveland (like Jalen did with the Jags) to go to a more competitive team. He wants to win.

Between him and Bobby Trees, I’d keep OBJ simply because I feel like he’s contributed in ways I wouldn’t expect him to in such a short amount of time. Woods is good in his own right and has a place in our kind of offense but I think Van can develop and fill his role. Woods to Detroit to play with Goff makes a lot of sense. And I doubt they’d say no to a trade proposal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
All these visions of hometown discount dry up really quick when big dollas get thrown down on that table for these guys. Rams will need to pay Odell to keep him IMO. We'll have to be in the ballpark.

The Ramowl

Starter
Are we really doing this... :wow2:

OBJ is basically on a "lease purchase plan"...that's it. NO WAY TO KEEP HIM.

IT'S SUPER BOWL OR BUST RIGHT NOW!!!

If it doesn't happen we can get use to just making the playoffs for awhile.

IT IS WHAT IT IS FOLKS!!!

Sure, the same thing has been said every year since McVay arrived virtually but yeah.
Draft picks don't make your team good, a good front office does. They find solutions.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He’s the deep threat and still cheap. They won’t save money trading Van. I’d be especially leery of moving Van after experiencing Atwell’s first season.
Good point unless we just try and trade Atwell for a 2nd and recoup the pick back. Could we even get a 7th for him today?

Signing OBJ does hurt Van's development, but Van will never be an elite WR. He's a nice complementary piece for an offense, not a true playmaker. OBJ on the other hand makes doubling Kupp a bad idea. OBJ scores 12+ TDs next year with a full off-season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We may be able to get a ham sandwich for Tutu. :laugh4:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. But who knows, maybe Tutu gets pissed and rewrites some storylines next year. We can hope right. :biggrin:

RamWoodie

Legend
Sure, the same thing has been said every year since McVay arrived virtually but yeah.
Draft picks don't make your team good, a good front office does. They find solutions.
Naw fellow Ram fan. It's not conceivable when it comes to the money.

Draft picks DO make your team for the most part...you bring in the FAs to shore up weakness, that's what brought OBJ to the Rams...a weakness when Woods went down.

OBJ is gonna go where the money is...if the Rams win the SuperBowl, that only helps him get more...but NO WAY he's a Ram next year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
My FA priorities:
Left tackle
Von
OBJ

I'd fight hard to keep those two.

Stump23

Rookie
Ok, I'll take a shot. If Detroit would be willing to trade for Woods, he'd be paired with Amon-Ra and Hockenson to give Goff a solid, dependable receiving corp. Woods may be a better option for the Lions since the money would theoretically be less than going after a Free Agent. Just a thought. OBJ younger than Woods definitely works for us in the near term, but then as stated the $$$ needs to work. Michel has been special. I heard one radio pundit say he's gone next year. Who knows. If he stays healthy, then the 1-2 punch with Akers just gets better. Heard he's bone on bone on his knee (like Gurley) so that's a risk to consider as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You've heard that Michel has bone on bone in his knee? Or Akers. Haven't heard anything of the sort.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
In order to keep OBJ the Rams either trade Woods or some wealthy players agree to pay cuts to fit OBJ under the cap. Woods won't be easy to trade with his contract, plus he's an excellent receiver with an even better career catch percentage than OBJ has. Ideally they don't have to move Woods.

Before the season the Rams couldn't have guessed that they'd end up getting OBJ. Its also still a guess as to wether or not Tutu, Harris and Skowronek can become key players in the Rams offense. But those three were part of the original plan. How committed do the Rams need to be to that plan if they retain OBJ?
Forget the plan, sign OBJ.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Kupp, Woods, Jefferson, OBJ, Powell, Skow, Harris, Tutu

8 WRs to work through next year.
I'd keep the first six on the list.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kupp, Woods, Jefferson, OBJ, Powell, Skow, Harris, Tutu

8 WRs to work through next year.
I'd keep the first six on the list.

Sorry, but if there were a gun to my head on only six to keep, I'd go with Harris over Powell. Powell is a fantastic returnman, but Harris could be seriously special.