How bad is Stafford hurt?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay I watched the All 22 on the interception and although it wasn't a good pass by Stafford, I am not sure why Kupped stopped running on the play.

Stafford threw to where he thought Kupp was going to be and Kupp stopped about a foot away. It was a very heads up play by the GB cornerback but if Kupp kept going another foot, the GB cornerback would have had to run over Kupps back to intercept that pass.

So I am putting that pass on bad communication between Kupp and Stafford for some reason. Usually their communication is on point.
It wasn't bad communication. Stafford threw late and inaccurately. He left the ball too far to the inside, probably because he was under pressure and throwing on the move.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
His problem isn't injury. The guy is still putting heat on that ball when he steps into it. What's happening is his mechanics are shit, which are an extension of him being confused or something. He is not reading smoothly like he was early this season.

I suspect some of it is the scheme and him settling in. Some of it is probably pressure of expectation and McVay on his ass. And some of it of late is losing Woody and having two WRs not playing smart the way Kupp and Woody do. And he's a gunslinger so he's shitting the bed trying to throw up balls for his WRs to go get or whatever and resorting to bad habits.

I do think the guy deserves more time though. He has a long run of tendency in that offense to work out of his system. And I expect he's going to succeed in this offense, because he's a smart dude and has a good coach. The key is until he gets to that desired level and is in the zone McVay needs to help him by slowing it down and balancing things.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Not addressing the oline in the off season was a huge mistake. No use trading for Stafford if you can’t protect him. The Atwell pick looks like a total whiff , and wasn’t a need. There was quality lineman available when they picked. What happens if one or two go down with injuries ? Thinking a 40 year old tackle will hold up for 17 games is pretty risky. Plus they need to replace him next year , with very little draft capital. It’s not like there is two or three pro bowlers on this line. Barely average at best. Still wondering how they will restock and fill the roster next year and beyond.
Let’s hope they catch fire the rest of the year. There’s no powerhouse teams this year, so who knows what will happen.
Go Rams

Prior to us abandoning the run and Stafford and Allen getting injured, we had one of the best and most efficient OLs in the entire league.

Teams can see Allen struggling and they're exploiting that.

They can see Stafford is throwing behind or late to receivers and are exploiting that.

I mean, damn, use some Kentucky windage, rezero the damn scope and get back to hitting targets... this shit of missing and miscommunicating isn't gonna cut it.

swmizzou83

Starter
I know Stafford doesn't care for the play action and rollout game but I really feel like going to that would really improve things. Stafford is more talented Goff and it worked with him

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
At this moment would it matter overall who we have as QB? I'm still stoked about Stafford including the WTF moments in 3 consecutive games aside but ALSO leaving those leading NFCW and or tying Division current status. Our special teams make me cringe on everything.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People are just looking for an easy explanation to excuse his play. He needs to quit acting like every possession is a must-score situation. Settle into the scheme and execute it with less risk.

But again the run game can do wonders there too. So I hope McVay keeps calling it balanced even if Arizona stuffs the run early.

Patience is McVay's biggest weakness IMO.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure why people keep thinking Stafford is injured? If he was injured enough for it to effect his play, he would not have lasted after getting blasted in the chest last game. That was a very hard hit that would have taken anyone with a previous injury out of the game indefinitely. And yet he came in one play later and played better.

Maybe those people who said he was a streaky qb were correct? I've had to accept it.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only thing I know is this guy has/had the right idea as a Rams fan.
life suicide GIF by David

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
People are just looking for an easy explanation to excuse his play. He needs to quit acting like every possession is a must-score situation. Settle into the scheme and execute it with less risk.

But again the run game can do wonders there too. So I hope McVay keeps calling it balanced even if Arizona stuffs the run early.

Same page on the impatience thing.. macro and micro, imo.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

McVay improved his patience enormously against Jacksonville. Ran the ball consistently and with unexpected power formations. Less predictable play calling. A user friendly approach for the QB.

Stafford was the biggest beneficiary imo. Stafford got off to a smooth start and stayed patient. Kept his head on straight, avoided blunders, and ran play action passes at a very high level of efficiency.

Result of patience, running, play action: 37 points. No turnovers.

Every game is different but I hope McVay and Stafford can continue this more patient, winning approach against Arizona and down the stretch.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I'm not sure why people keep thinking Stafford is injured? If he was injured enough for it to effect his play, he would not have lasted after getting blasted in the chest last game. That was a very hard hit that would have taken anyone with a previous injury out of the game indefinitely. And yet he came in one play later and played better.

Maybe those people who said he was a streaky qb were correct? I've had to accept it.
I will say he is one of the toughest QBs I have seen. It would not surprise me one bit that he is hurting and trying to not let others know about it. I sure as heck wouldn't want other teams to know I was hurting in certain areas.

im invincible monty python GIF

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If he was injured enough for it to effect his play, he would not have lasted after getting blasted in the chest last game. That was a very hard hit that would have taken anyone with a previous injury out of the game indefinitely. And yet he came in one play later and played better.

That hit would have ended the game for a lot of NFL quarterbacks regardless of health at the time. I'll bet you could count on 1 hand the number of NFL QBs who would have returned 1 play later.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I will say he is one of the toughest QBs I have seen. It would not surprise me one bit that he is hurting and trying to not let others know about it. I sure as heck wouldn't want other teams to know I was hurting in certain areas.

im invincible monty python GIF
There's a difference between "hurting" and being injured. Stafford is NOT injured, as he just said again today, and as he and McVay have said multiple times. However in the NFL "hurting" is an everyday part of the job for almost everyone who plays.

There is no secret injury which caused the 3 game turnover spree. It was a combination of an impatient, aggressive coach, injuries to key players, and a QB who has always had some lapses in attention and execution. Stafford has done this his whole career. He's still an outstanding QB, but he's not Rodgers or Montana in terms of consistency of execution.

I believe Stafford has the potential to be an elite QB. This could happen if both McVay and Stafford realize they need to exercise more patience and better judgment and then commit to it.

A good start would be to give up chasing the illusion that they can "dictate" to any defense at any time by attacking downfield whenever they want. The offense just isn't that good. Neither is Stafford, if he is just turned loose to throw the ball without high level coaching and game planning to maximize his ability and limit his mistakes.

The Jacksonville game was a good example of a more subtle and winning strategy based on patience, limiting turnovers, less predictability, running, play action, and attacking downfield more opportunistically.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That hit would have ended the game for a lot of NFL quarterbacks regardless of health at the time. I'll bet you could count on 1 hand the number of NFL QBs who would have returned 1 play later.
He's definitely one of the tougher QBs in the league. Also I have a ton of respect for how he endured Detroit without ever complaining, so he's tough mentally too. :thumbsup1:

Tano

Legend
There's a difference between "hurting" and being injured. Stafford is NOT injured, as he just said again today, and as he and McVay have said multiple times. However in the NFL "hurting" is an everyday part of the job for almost everyone who plays.

There is no secret injury which caused the 3 game turnover spree. It was a combination of an impatient, aggressive coach, injuries to key players, and a QB who has always had some lapses in attention and execution. Stafford has done this his whole career. He's still an outstanding QB, but he's not Rodgers or Montana in terms of consistency of execution.

I believe Stafford has the potential to be an elite QB. This could happen if both McVay and Stafford realize they need to exercise more patience and better judgment and then commit to it.

A good start would be to give up chasing the illusion that they can "dictate" to any defense at any time by attacking downfield whenever they want. The offense just isn't that good. Neither is Stafford, if he is just turned loose to throw the ball without high level coaching and game planning to maximize his ability and limit his mistakes.

The Jacksonville game was a good example of a more subtle and winning strategy based on patience, limiting turnovers, less predictability, running, play action, and attacking downfield more opportunistically.
I still think he is hurting more than he is letting on because quite a few passes are either behind low or overthrown of the receiver recently.

He wasn't doing it "as frequently" in the first 8 games. I want to stress as frequently because he did throw some passes low behind overthrown etc in the first 8 games. But he is doing it a lot more in these last 4 games.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I mentioned it in the game day thread and later. It sure seemed like he was better after that shot he took. More accurate. More decisive. Got into a good rhythm. Almost like it woke him up from the lull he seemed to be in.