Hey Fisher, get a damn QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
13 teams have never won a Superbowl. Half the teams in the NFL have been to fewer SBs than our Rams. Four teams including the JAGs and two of the oldest franchises in the entire NFL have NEVER even been to a SB. There are only 3 teams in the entire NFL that have had more HOFers that played for them than the Rams. There are a crapload of teams that have not sniffed a SB since the Rams were last in one.

I have been a fan since '67. During that time, we have had good times and bad. We've had runs where we looked like world beaters and times where we looked like the worst team on earth. Have I questioned their moves over that span? Of course I have. But the ONLY time I questioned if the Rams were trying to win was when Georgia and Shaw were making an obvious attempt to put a shit product on the field so that they could justify their move. Though it is obvious that the Rams were trying to move back to LA for the money, I see none of that.

Sure some can argue with how the Rams are trying to build the team, moves they have made or haven't made, but the idea that they are not trying to win really sticks in my craw as it seems to come from those who have not been through the years of ups and downs that has been being a Rams fan. For many there was a short period of suckage followed by the GSOT. For some others, their fandome all started with the GSOT - and they can't get why that level is not regularly attainable and failing to do so means they are either not trying or they would be better if they did things my way. Well that's not reality. The reality is that teams generally go on runs, certain teams get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle, and a select few figure out how to sustain a winning tradition.

I am a third generation Rams fan raising two 4th generation fans. I watched the Rams on my Grampa's black and white with rabbit ears. I've sat in the Coliseum with my dad to watch the Rams stuff OJ Simpson. I've scheduled vacations around games and took my dad and two sons to opening day last season. I've seen most things a team has to offer in my Rams and wouldn't even consider following another team. And BTW - stop with the if the team purged their roster or if they signed a bunch of rapists. How about instead sticking to reality.

So excuse me if I don't empathize with anyone who either claims to see that the Rams are not trying to win or that if they don't do it by a fan's recipe that they will stop following my team. Instead just go. This is a RAMS fan board. And while we all have our own way of being fans, telling fellow Rams fans that if they don't do things a certain way you are going to jump ship simply takes away any give a shit I once had for you. I'm cool with getting emotional or arguing what the Rams should do. But giving ultimatums on a Rams board as if that does a damn thing other than promote your own narcissism is just lame.

Just one other thing. The idea that the JAGs, for example, are not just as much about making money or doing things because they care more about winning is laughable and quite frankly insulting to this fan. Saying they are fun to watch - meh - if you are into their brand of football - I'll leave you to that and it doesn't bother me. Inferring that another team wants to win more - especially teams that have done just the opposite? GTFO

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They're not woven into the fabric of our lives? How the fuck do you know that? Were you there when The 1999 Rams winning the Super Bowl was the one thing that brought me joy during a tumultuous divorce? Were you there when I took my daughter to her first Rams game in 2004? Were you with me on my honeymoon when my wife surprised me with tickets to the ED to watch the Rams curb stomp the Panthers, and afterward watched me shake hands with Aeneas Williams and Torry Holt? Were you hanging out with me and @Selassie I in Miami and tailgating with us? Were you there when I met Isaac Bruce's family in a mall and spent an hour with them talking about how he was as a kid? Were you on the phone when Jack Youngblood gave @Thordaddy a call in the hospital shortly before he died? How about when Stedman DM'd me on Twitter thanking me for making a video of his highlights and asking me to please make another? What about all the time and philanthropy Rams players committed to the city of St Louis to help better the communities? Or when they visited cancer centers to help cheer up children (some of whom were Rams fans)? How dare you make such a flippant statement. And you wonder why I called you a kid? You think it's odd that I did? You're only reinforcing my point.

Hell ya this shit right here got me pumped.

avengers-age-of-ultron-tv-spot-hulk-roar.gif

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am more upset that we haven't gone out and got a proven offensive coordinator. I think the current regime wouldn't know how to coach up or develop a drafted QB. I hope I am wrong. If we drafted Sean Mannion and can not develop him to a starting QB, why in the heck does anybody want to trade up and spend draft picks that we need in this and future drafts just to trade him down the road and get one draft pick back from some other team that succeeds from his performance? What if we trade Foles and he DOES succeed on another roster. The Rams seem down with the QBs on this roster, but it really reeks of smoke to me. My opinion is that it doesn't really matter. PROVE ME WRONG RAMS! Develop one of the guys that we have, and if you can't, please find somebody who can.

This team doesn't need a QB. It needs a system that works with what it has on the roster on that first Sunday at the end of the summer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This team doesn't need a QB. It needs a system that works with what it has on the roster on that first Sunday at the end of the summer.
I agree, and that's what's been missing in this Franchise for decades. The longest time a coach spent with the Rams is 9 years, and that was John Robinson in the 80's (6 playoff appearances in 9 years). The formula for success is NOT to keep switching coaches, coordinators, systems and 53 man rosters every 3-5 years. Fisher may or may not be the answer, but he at least has a vision and continues to harbor that attitude year in and year out. His only failure so far has been getting a coordinator he can hand the offense off to, and letting it complement his defense. Schotty was kind of aligned with his vision, but the QB play, fucked up O-lines and average receivers pretty much sealed his fate. Cignetti and Boras tried, but still the same problems with QB play, receivers, and injuries. That's why I'm confident that Fisher/Snead will do what's right and throw all kinds of resources at the offense and try to build it up to be sustainable. If they think that's a QB, I don't agree, but we'll see what happens. I personally think we need stud playmakers across the board (TE, WR, linemen) until we're at a point where we're not solely dependent upon a stud QB. But like I said, we'll see.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not furthering the debate about whether or not the Rams are integral to people's lives, or if they're just the equivalent of Disney on Ice. I find the whole notion laughable. But I am interested in furthering the debate about whether or not the Rams would be better served by building the offense swiftly this year, or mortgaging their immediate future to get one of the top QBs. This has been a reoccurring theme across a few threads, so it's clearly a debatable subject with valid points on both sides.

First thing I'd like to know is what outlandish asking Price the Titans have for their pick, because they obviously have an idea. Then we can try to figure out, based on what they want, what the exchange rate *might be* for spot 2, 3, 4 and 5. Is the price too steep? Will Snead even entertain the idea of giving away draft capital when he's basically tried to horde it since he got here? Outside of moving up for Tavon, I haven't seen much interest in moving up that high from Snead.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
13 teams have never won a Superbowl. Half the teams in the NFL have been to fewer SBs than our Rams. Four teams including the JAGs and two of the oldest franchises in the entire NFL have NEVER even been to a SB. There are only 3 teams in the entire NFL that have had more HOFers that played for them than the Rams. There are a crapload of teams that have not sniffed a SB since the Rams were last in one.

I have been a fan since '67. During that time, we have had good times and bad. We've had runs where we looked like world beaters and times where we looked like the worst team on earth. Have I questioned their moves over that span? Of course I have. But the ONLY time I questioned if the Rams were trying to win was when Georgia and Shaw were making an obvious attempt to put a crap product on the field so that they could justify their move. Though it is obvious that the Rams were trying to move back to LA for the money, I see none of that.

Sure some can argue with how the Rams are trying to build the team, moves they have made or haven't made, but the idea that they are not trying to win really sticks in my craw as it seems to come from those who have not been through the years of ups and downs that has been being a Rams fan. For many there was a short period of suckage followed by the GSOT. For some others, their fandome all started with the GSOT - and they can't get why that level is not regularly attainable and failing to do so means they are either not trying or they would be better if they did things my way. Well that's not reality. The reality is that teams generally go on runs, certain teams get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle, and a select few figure out how to sustain a winning tradition.

I am a third generation Rams fan raising two 4th generation fans. I watched the Rams on my Grampa's black and white with rabbit ears. I've sat in the Coliseum with my dad to watch the Rams stuff OJ Simpson. I've scheduled vacations around games and took my dad and two sons to opening day last season. I've seen most things a team has to offer in my Rams and wouldn't even consider following another team. And BTW - stop with the if the team purged their roster or if they signed a bunch of rapists. How about instead sticking to reality.

So excuse me if I don't empathize with anyone who either claims to see that the Rams are not trying to win or that if they don't do it by a fan's recipe that they will stop following my team. Instead just go. This is a RAMS fan board. And while we all have our own way of being fans, telling fellow Rams fans that if they don't do things a certain way you are going to jump ship simply takes away any give a crap I once had for you. I'm cool with getting emotional or arguing what the Rams should do. But giving ultimatums on a Rams board as if that does a damn thing other than promote your own narcissism is just lame.

Just one other thing. The idea that the JAGs, for example, are not just as much about making money or doing things because they care more about winning is laughable and quite frankly insulting to this fan. Saying they are fun to watch - meh - if you are into their brand of football - I'll leave you to that and it doesn't bother me. Inferring that another team wants to win more - especially teams that have done just the opposite? GTFO

image.jpg

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I vote to trade the farm. Especially now that we have a developing OL that can hopefully protect the QB, and a stud RB who can take some of the pressure off. Whatever it takes to get Wentz!

From Day 1, this has been my hope as well... Fingers crossed!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm not furthering the debate about whether or not the Rams are integral to people's lives, or if they're just the equivalent of Disney on Ice. I find the whole notion laughable. But I am interested in furthering the debate about whether or not the Rams would be better served by building the offense swiftly this year, or mortgaging their immediate future to get one of the top QBs. This has been a reoccurring theme across a few threads, so it's clearly a debatable subject with valid points on both sides.

First thing I'd like to know is what outlandish asking Price the Titans have for their pick, because they obviously have an idea. Then we can try to figure out, based on what they want, what the exchange rate *might be* for spot 2, 3, 4 and 5. Is the price too steep? Will Snead even entertain the idea of giving away draft capital when he's basically tried to horde it since he got here? Outside of moving up for Tavon, I haven't seen much interest in moving up that high from Snead.
You know what my stance is. I have posted in other threads that they had to accomplish one of those things in this offseason. Either roll with the QB's we have and load up on offense/skill guys or make a bold move to go get one of thesetop 2 QB's.

I think the Rams should trade up. As I've said, I believe making that move would basically give the offense 2 players to build around (Wentz/Goff and Gurley). Losing a few top picks in the next couple years doesn't scare me because of the foundation in place defensively and along the OLine.

Maybe the Rams use FA a little more than they normally would in the next couple years to offset the lack of premium picks. It just seems well worth it to me to commit to a young franchise QB again (except this time he won't be breaking the bank contract-wise). I'd rather have to fill holes at TE or WR to compliment a core of Gurley, Wentz, Tavon...than hope to continue searching for stability there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They're not woven into the fabric of our lives? How the freak do you know that? Were you there when The 1999 Rams winning the Super Bowl was the one thing that brought me joy during a tumultuous divorce? Were you there when I took my daughter to her first Rams game in 2004? Were you with me on my honeymoon when my wife surprised me with tickets to the ED to watch the Rams curb stomp the Panthers, and afterward watched me shake hands with Aeneas Williams and Torry Holt? Were you hanging out with me and @Selassie I in Miami and tailgating with us? Were you there when I met Isaac Bruce's family in a mall and spent an hour with them talking about how he was as a kid? Were you on the phone when Jack Youngblood gave @Thordaddy a call in the hospital shortly before he died? How about when Stedman DM'd me on Twitter thanking me for making a video of his highlights and asking me to please make another? What about all the time and philanthropy Rams players committed to the city of St Louis to help better the communities? Or when they visited cancer centers to help cheer up children (some of whom were Rams fans)? How dare you make such a flippant statement. And you wonder why I called you a kid? You think it's odd that I did? You're only reinforcing my point.

This is all I have left to say on the subject. This is a hobby, my friend. Every person has a hobby that they are crazy passionate about and involved in. I have football. My brother has fishing. My sister has equestrian. A friend of mine has video games. Everybody has that thing that they absolutely love and are passionate about.

But what strikes me as irrational is that I am supposed to pledge my undying loyalty to a football team's whose #1 motive is to profit off of me. If I'm unhappy with the team's product, tough. If I don't like the direction of the team, get over it. If I don't like the way the team is treating its fans, deal with it. Because that's what "real" fans do.That's like telling a fisherman that he can only fish in one lake for his life. That's like telling an equestrian that she can only ride one horse for life. That's like telling a gamer that he can only play one game for life. What happens if that game becomes outdated? Suck it up. That's what a real gamer does.

I'm sorry, my friend, but that's not logical to me. I am stubborn. I get very emotional about football. But I also try to remain logical when it comes to just about everything in life. I understand that the emotional connection that makes football so great won't exist if you jump from team to team. At the same time, I also don't accept that I have to root for the Rams no matter what they do. I might be a fan but I'm also a customer. If the Rams aren't going to provide what I want, I'm going to look for a product that will.

And I just happen to be lucky that I can still feel enough of an emotional connection to the Jaguars (for a variety of very good reasons) until the Rams make the changes that appeal to me as a customer.

We'll see what the Rams end up doing this off-season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Pay what it takes to get into the top 5 and let's go win a Super Bowl.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You know what my stance is. I have posted in other threads that they had to accomplish one of those things in this offseason. Either roll with the QB's we have and load up on offense/skill guys or make a bold move to go get one of thesetop 2 QB's.

I think the Rams should trade up. As I've said, I believe making that move would basically give the offense 2 players to build around (Wentz/Goff and Gurley). Losing a few top picks in the next couple years doesn't scare me because of the foundation in place defensively and along the OLine.

Maybe the Rams use FA a little more than they normally would in the next couple years to offset the lack of premium picks. It just seems well worth it to me to commit to a young franchise QB again (except this time he won't be breaking the bank contract-wise). I'd rather have to fill holes at TE or WR to compliment a core of Gurley, Wentz, Tavon...than hope to continue searching for stability there.
That's cool. I respect that. But where are the odds better? What's the lowest risk? And obviously, the highest reward? Those are the unknowns I guess. I used to be on the QB or bust train, but now I have to wonder if our receivers are just so pedestrian that a shiny new QB won't be able to get anymore milk outta that cow. And I'm also of the opinion (now) that we should be setting out current QB, and all future QBs, up for success.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's cool. I respect that. But where are the odds better? What's the lowest risk? And obviously, the highest reward? Those are the unknowns I guess. I used to be on the QB or bust train, but now I have to wonder if our receivers are just so pedestrian that a shiny new QB won't be able to get anymore milk outta that cow. And I'm also of the opinion (now) that we should be setting out current QB, and all future QBs, up for success.

Well, it depends. If the right value comes to the Rams, I can understand getting the QB now, including in some sort of trade up. And then starting Keenum until the new guy kicks in the door, which would happen at some point this season if he really is all that. There just isn't that much value in the draft for receivers, although some guys are there. But have the pick learn a bit this year, and then use the first next year to give him a weapon.

I don't understand those who say that the Rams are complete enough to trade away a bunch of future picks though. Besides the fact that new holes are always opening - I think it is obvious that the Rams are NOT a complete offensive team. They have a young line. They have a great RB. And very little else. Picks need to be used to build up the offense, besides QB. Or before the QB can succeed, the defense will be dismantled.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I've said before that my worthless preference would be for the Rams to get their QB, whomever that is. If it's Wentz, go get him. If it's Goff, go get him. If it's Lynch, go get him. Don't expect him to fall to 15... he won't. For all of the defenders, outside of Wentz and Goff, there's maybe Lynch and Cook who could maybe go in the 1st and then? It's a mystery and none of them look like starters.

That said, I can't ignore Snisher's preferences and past actions and I really think that it's looking more and more like they aren't going to go after EITHER of the top 2 QBs. During Snisher's reign, they've drafted guys at the top that they've visited with and I dunno that I'd count going to a guy's pro day as a "visit" as opposed to when they pay to have a guy into the facility for a visit. That's limited to 60, iirc. The Rams' success in drafting in the middle of the first round will likely only embolden Snisher to stay put and let the draft come to them as they have done in the past... making minor moves for exceptional players.

Unfortunately, what that looks like it may mean in a draft that is stuffed with quality defensive players and is just bereft of much offensive talent is that the Rams may do the "right" thing and stock up on defensive talent in a defensive draft rather than draft crappy offensive talent in a defensive draft and fall behind. Worse, if they push and spend a bunch of picks on a QB who doesn't work out, all the work on building that D may come undone.

So, I think they'll go slow... BPA like always and if it's Lynch, then maybe, but it may also be Apple or maybe a DL like Oakman or Rankin, maybe? It wouldn't surprise me if the QB thing completely went sideways on them and after Round 2, they still haven't sniffed a QB... wouldn't surprise me at all.

It feels like we're too damn close to keep doing this, but... I think this is exactly what we're going to keep doing.

I'd love to be wrong. I'd love to think Snisher is waiting in the weeds to spring a massive draft surprise and get us a Franchise QB. I just don't see it. That whole "we studied it...17 points..." thing. I BELIEVE it. I believe that they believe it so strongly that they're going to build that D and strangle opposing offenses and have modest improvements on offense...

FRO

Legend
For the life of me I do not understand why you guys aren't calling for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Saying Keenum is his equal is a farce. Fitzpatrick is coming off two very good football seasons and would solidify your QB position. Yeah he is going to cost money, but wouldn't you like to make the playoffs sometime soon? Aren't these 6-10/7-9 seasons getting to you? I also understand he had Decker and Marshall here, but if you signed him you could go get Treadwell, Henery, and Boyd in the draft to pair up with Tavon and Gurley. Yes Fitzpatrick has his issues, but he is a league average starting QB.

Since you aren't going to sign a QB, you have to draft one. Going into next year with Keenum as your starter is insane. With him starting they struggled to score over 20 offensive points a game. Keenum is a backup QB, a good one, but a backup none the less.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the life of me I do not understand why you guys aren't calling for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Saying Keenum is his equal is a farce. Fitzpatrick is coming off two very good football seasons and would solidify your QB position. Yeah he is going to cost money, but wouldn't you like to make the playoffs sometime soon? Aren't these 6-10/7-9 seasons getting to you? I also understand he had Decker and Marshall here, but if you signed him you could go get Treadwell, Henery, and Boyd in the draft to pair up with Tavon and Gurley. Yes Fitzpatrick has his issues, but he is a league average starting QB.

Since you aren't going to sign a QB, you have to draft one. Going into next year with Keenum as your starter is insane. With him starting they struggled to score over 20 offensive points a game. Keenum is a backup QB, a good one, but a backup none the less.
Because Fitzpatrick is a turnover machine who has been no better than Keenum when not playing for Chan Gailey.
The only place Fitz fits is in NY, and its quite evident the league feels the same way.
The Jets paced their season in his hands in Buffalo, and he folded like a cheap suit. They aren't in a rush to re-sign him either
I firmly believe that in the offense that the Rams use, Keenum is at the very least equal to Fitz in passing ability and his mobility is better.
That said, I am in the "hope we move up to pick Goff/Wentz" group, as I cant see when we will ever get a chance to get a top 5 QB again if we start winning 8-9 games per year.
And I would support the "surround Keenum with weapons from the draft" if that's how they go.

Lastly, I find it bizarre that a guy with as many posts as you is referring to the team as "you guys" and "your team". I get the whole St Louis disappointment, but how about just calling them "The Rams"?