Help me pick a baseball team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Ok so I have never been a huge fan of baseball but I have watched a lot more of it recently and I am really starting to enjoy it.

I would describe myself as a cardinals 'fan' just because when they had good runs with Pujols and Yadier etc I liked keeping an eye on them. The Rams were in St Louis at the time so it fit. Now that i am starting to properly get into it though i am thinking that i should either commit to the cardinals or go in a totally new direction.

This will be sacrilege for cardinals fans but i love watching the Cubs at Wrigley, the 7th inning stretch thing and when that place is bouncing it looks cool.

I also like the idea of the Dodgers because LA.

Teams that are not acceptable are those in seattle, San Francisco or Arizona. I want a team with a chance of winning but not the Yankees. And I dont want a team that are no hopers - sorry Colorado. Anyone else I will consider.

In exchange I will recommend European soccer teams for anyone who wants one, any criteria considered. Cheers!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Man... if you can watch a whole baseball game... you are a special breed. I can't do it anymore.

Baseball is really a regional sport. If you actually have team located in your city of residence... it's possible to show some real fandom. Outside of those cities... baseball ratings are ridiculously horrible.

I had to live near Kansas City for 9 months. Leavenworth Kansas to be exact. There was absolutely nothing to do there. So we would drive over the river and watch the Royals all the time. George Brett was on that team then... he's a Fucking Legend btw. I named one of my sons Brett (my name is George). So... as you can see, I developed a real love for that team. Back then.... they had a very good team. Things changed in MLB and the small market teams basically just became the minor league feeder teams for the large market teams. My interest is almost zero now. Even when they had a great year just a few years back... I think I could only watch about 2 total innings of the World Series.

I like that you're not picking the yankees. That's a solid start to your process.

Good luck picking one. I'd stay away from small market teams if you ever want to have a consistent winner.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The Dodgers are team with great history, loyal fans and they never rain out.
That's right...they don't rain out.

The problem is actually getting the games televised. Their TV contract is the absolute worst contract in all of sports.
Sports net LA is utter trash.
I live in So Cal and don't get the games unless I stream them.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Dodgers. Just pull the trigger and become part of Team Blue. Besides, Stafford and Kershaw are like best buds. Rams and Dodgers. Like bacon and eggs.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You do know that Molina is still on the Cardinals (along with Wainwright), right? Albert fell off a cliff when he went to the Angels. Not to mention that we have a bunch of young prospects who look like they're going to be stars.

Just stick with the Cards, Scot. Trust me, they're going to be very good very soon.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, well the Dodgers also have an excellent farm system again, so you get to watch home grown talent coming up. Take THAT @Memento

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yeah, well the Dodgers also have an excellent farm system again, so you get to watch home grown talent coming up. Take THAT @Memento

Do the Dodgers have hitting prospects who compare to Nolan Gorman, Jordan Walker, Masyn Winn, and Joshua Baez? Do they have pitching prospects who compare to Matthew Liberatore, Zach Thompson, Michael McGreevy, and Tink Hence?

...I didn't think so. :p

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do the Dodgers have hitting prospects who compare to Nolan Gorman, Jordan Walker, Masyn Winn, and Joshua Baez? Do they have pitching prospects who compare to Matthew Liberatore, Zach Thompson, Michael McGreevy, and Tink Hence?

...I didn't think so. :p
Actually they’re pretty even in top 100 prospects no matter what names you list. That also doesn’t count the prospects we’ve graduated to the majors and the top end prospects we’ve traded away. There’s no reality you can come up with that puts the Dodgers farm and player development in anything other than a positive light. Andrew Friedman is the best in the game at his job. and has an unlimited budget to maintain it.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Talk to me about these following options:

Red Sox
Pirates
Phillies

Memento

Name
Jemma
Actually they’re pretty even in top 100 prospects no matter what names you list. That also doesn’t count the prospects we’ve graduated to the majors and the top end prospects we’ve traded away. There’s no reality you can come up with that puts the Dodgers farm and player development in anything other than a positive light. Andrew Friedman is the best in the game at his job. and has an unlimited budget to maintain it.

Jordan Walker is likely moving into the top fifty prospects, along with Liberatore and Gorman. There's also Ivan Herrera (can't believe I forgot him) who should be in the top 100.

The Dodgers are amazing in development, I won't deny that, but the Cardinals all but wrote the book when it comes to getting top prospects.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Ok I'm watching Padres vs As just now and they said the pitchers record is started 18, won 4, lost 3... huh?

Guessing theres a minimum number of innings you need to pitch to credited with a win/loss?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Ok I'm watching Padres vs As just now and they said the pitchers record is started 18, won 4, lost 3... huh?

Guessing theres a minimum number of innings you need to pitch to credited with a win/loss?

Five full innings pitched while winning/losing is what it takes and/or if he exits the game, but is most responsible for a loss (same doesn't count in terms of wins). If the pitcher exits before his team takes the lead, he gets what is called a "no-decision", which is neither a win nor a loss. No-decisions aren't counted in statistics.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Thanks Mem, that really clears that up :wow2:

Memento

Name
Jemma
No problem, Scots. I'm not sure if I'm entirely accurate, but I'm drawing from my own knowledge.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Red Socks - same town as patsies - nuff said

Pirates - not looking good now or in future.

Phillies - meh

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jordan Walker is likely moving into the top fifty prospects, along with Liberatore and Gorman. There's also Ivan Herrera (can't believe I forgot him) who should be in the top 100.

The Dodgers are amazing in development, I won't deny that, but the Cardinals all but wrote the book when it comes to getting top prospects.
Child please! They should rename the NL rookie of the year award to “best new Dodger player of the year”. For the record Cardinals have six NL RoY last being Albert. Dodgers rock the scoreboard with 17 including the first on when it was both leagues in Jackie Robinson and two of the last five and let’s not forget that five year stretch the early 90’s of all Dodgers. The Cards do pretty good with prospects but don’t deliver the goods quite like the boys in blue.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Child please! They should rename the NL rookie of the year award to “best new Dodger player of the year”. For the record Cardinals have six NL RoY last being Albert. Dodgers rock the scoreboard with 17 including the first on when it was both leagues in Jackie Robinson and two of the last five and let’s not forget that five year stretch the early 90’s of all Dodgers. The Cards do pretty good with prospects but don’t deliver the goods quite like the boys in blue.

You forget that not every elite player starts out well right out the gate. Yadier Molina, Adam Wainwright, Jack Flaherty, Kolten Wong, Harrison Bader, Paul DeJong, Tyler O'Neill, Alex Reyes, etc., etc. and so forth. And other good players win ROTY votes but don't win.

But anyway, the Dodgers learned their art from Branch Rickey - a former Cardinals GM who invented the entire idea of a farm system while he was with the Cardinals. The Cardinals were innovative long before the Dodgers.

And while yes, you do have more ROTYs than the Cardinals, I'd go so far as to say that the Cardinals farm system is more well-run from top to bottom, despite having winning seasons every year since 2007. Why do I say that? We manage to find major contributors from our farm system from such players like the aforementioned DeJong, Tommy Edman, Allen Craig, Lance Lynn, etc., players who aren't ranked highly by MLB standards. Some people literally go far as to call it "Cardinals' Devil Magic" - and I'm inclined to agree with them. We churn out MLB players at a higher rate than any team, including the Dodgers. And that's with a much smaller payroll.

So yes, you come out with ROTY candidates. I'll still take the Cardinals' system top to bottom; we're that deep with MLB talent, and I don't think it's an insult to the Dodgers to say that.

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
This year I'm following the Angels, just because of SHOHtime!!
That boy is special...really cool to be able to see someone like him play at a high level.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I believe the Red Sox cheated in their last World Series win, so fuck em.

Plus, Boston will be filled with gobshites thinking you're Irish. and then telling you they're 1/6563th Scottish too, so I advise you stay far away.

Go for the Dodgers, that way if you go to LA you can see SoFi Stadium, Dodger Stadium, and Staples Center all in one day. Plus the food is better.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Ok I'm feeling some heat from you fellas to pick the Dodgers. I'll watch a couple games and see if I feel a spark.