Hekker / trade block / Renegotiated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
A trade will not happen until after Hekk comes off the COVID-19 list.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Please don't trade away my Oregon boy.

Seriously though. From reports I saw, our other punter hasn't looked good in preseason. And I also suspect Jonny could outkick coverage any time he wants but is the best at getting it inside the 20 with no return.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Trading a punter? Not something you see very often. When was the last time that happened?

btfd16

Rookie
Trading a punter? Not something you see very often. When was the last time that happened?
Riley Dixon a couple years ago. Before that, Andy Lee was the first in like a decade. Might be missing one recent, but that's what I remember.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Who the hell trades for a punter?

Wouldn't surprise me if Belichick did. Hekker was one of the players Coach B went out of his way to praise prior to the Super Bowl, iirc.

He's not worth a high pick, but wouldn't surprise me if he sent that 6th back to the Rams for Hekker.

To be clear, I do NOT want the Rams to trade/release Hekker.

On so many punts last year, you could see that Hekker was trying to not outkick the coverage as opposed to really trying to flip the field as in years past. In unrelated matters, our coverage teams just sucked last year...

btfd16

Rookie
Wouldn't surprise me if Belichick did. Hekker was one of the players Coach B went out of his way to praise prior to the Super Bowl, iirc.

He's not worth a high pick, but wouldn't surprise me if he sent that 6th back to the Rams for Hekker.

On so many punts last year, you could see that Hekker was trying to not outkick the coverage as opposed to really trying to flip the field as in years past. In unrelated matters, our coverage teams just sucked last year...
Jake Bailey just had an All-Pro year for the Pats and is on a rookie contract so I'd guess they probably won't.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

They have a good one still on a rookie deal iirc.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I stand corrected.

That said, beyond the Cowboys, wouldn't surprise me if someone from the Coach B tree was interested.

Again, hope Hekker has an amazing 2nd half of his career on his path to Canton...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

If the Pats wanted him and the Rams had him on the block, seems he would have been a part of this Sony M deal.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Please don't trade away my Oregon boy.

Seriously though. From reports I saw, our other punter hasn't looked good in preseason. And I also suspect Jonny could outkick coverage any time he wants but is the best at getting it inside the 20 with no return.
Not sure what the underlying motivation is here.

Do we really need the cap space right now, such as to pay Sony Michel? Or do the Rams think the other guy is just better at this point?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Do we really need the cap space right now, such as to pay Sony Michel? Or do the Rams think the other guy is just better at this point?
Cap savings for Hekker would be more for the next two years.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what's the urgency to offload Hekker now?
You have somebody on the roster you feel can do the job just as well and save money in the long run while also adding a pick or two after just trading two? Hekker has been a great Ram and we all love him. But the last three or four years he’s gotten more expensive and declined a bit. I’m in no way advocating it but it’s a possibility and I get it.

btfd16

Rookie

Sony Michel was a 1.8 cap hit. Already added to OTC. $6m remaining cap with pennies to come off during cuts.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So what's the urgency to offload Hekker now?

I don't know if management feels a current urgency to unload Hekker strictly for an improved CAP situation, but should they see him as true trade bait that may improve the team's odds for a deeper play-off or Super Bowl run, then I would be hard pressed to not approve of such an action. jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
overthecap.com shows his salary to be $920K with a $100K signing bonus.

Hekker has a $4,937,000 cap number now. The only dead money would be $1,187,000 leaving a $3.75 Million cap savings (post June 1st trade or cut).

$3,750,000 Hekker Cap Savings
$1,020,000 Bojorquez Cap Number
$2,730,000 Cap Savings

They already have dead cap hit of 1.2 mill in 2021 whether he is on the team or not, that's a realized hit.
The dead cap going forward is 1.1 mill
His salary of 3.75 mill is what can be salvaged, but either way if Hekker is gone, the "punter" cap for 2021
- dead cap realized 1.2 mill
- Bojo Cap hit 1.02
Total- 2.22 mill
Hekker salary 3.75 mill - Total punter hit 2.22 mill, "Savings" of 1.5 "ish" with a 2022 cap hit of 1.1 mill coming

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I can see moving on. It could be time.

I'll bet the Rams don't plan to punt as often with Stafford now handling 3rd downs this year.