Hekker / trade block / Renegotiated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We would have saved $3.75M this year by cutting him. And we weren't paying Bojorquez anywhere close to $3.75M.
Minus his dead money from the restructure and the remaining signing bonus it wasn't that much. The real cap savings would have been his last 2 years base pay which before this restructure were over $4 M. We still don't have details on that restructure either it could take a few weeks for it to be out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So i guess this will be the first time in rams history that we will follow another team's punter so we can argue about whether it was a mistake to let that punter go.

I can‘t stop laughing at this one. :fistbump1:

It’s very possible. :laugh4:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Raise your hand if you knew exactly how this we would play out.......

Ill wait . .but calling bullshit on first one to chime in with hand raised

You must not have read the early pages

If I'm the highest paid punter in the league and I have a chance to stay where I've been my whole career, play in the best stadium in the world on a team with top 3 superbowl odds and in the city with the best strip clubs in the country, I take the fucking pay cut

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to imagine any offensive lineman “previously with Seattle“ being any good, right?

:thinking:
Yeah the scouting profile doesn't sound great. Big strong guy with bad feet and bad lateral movement and can't get a punch in sometimes. But Carberry must see something he likes though to my knowledge Stanford never played A&M.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah the scouting profile doesn't sound great. Big strong guy with bad feet and bad lateral movement and can't get a punch in sometimes. But Carberry must see something he likes though to my knowledge Stanford never played A&M.

Yeah sounds like a Carberry connection. I’d like to think the Rams would not get too far away from metrics, however.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have time to look it up, but I thought someone countered my argument to cut him with the fact that we wouldn't actually save that much this season. But admittedly I didn't check.

Will be interesting to see what he lowered the number too since the Rams seemed to agree he was overpaid
Hekker was going to make 3.75, Bojo like 1.1 + Hekker dead cap hit in 2022 is another 1.1 so it's a "savings" of 1.5 mill.
Conversely, considering the 2021 dead cap of 1.2 that's already on the books, they'd essentially be paying 2.3 mill in punter salary in 2021 with dead cap of 1.1 "coming" so the Punter position equates to 3.4 mill if Hekker was gone and Bojo took the reins

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Hard to imagine any offensive lineman “previously with Seattle“ being any good, right?

:thinking:
I am a big believer that Russ makes his OL look worse than they are sometimes. He runs back too far at times and his OTs lose angles and give up sacks. As good as he is, that is a drawback of his. I mean their OL are normally good run blockers it seems, but for some reason they give up a bunch of sacks every year? Nah, a lot of that is on him.

Put Brady on that team and those sacks drop by 60-70%

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Minus his dead money from the restructure and the remaining signing bonus it wasn't that much. The real cap savings would have been his last 2 years base pay which before this restructure were over $4 M. We still don't have details on that restructure either it could take a few weeks for it to be out.
Did you account for the fact that he'd be a post-June 1st cut?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you account for the fact that he'd be a post-June 1st cut?
We don't know yet if that's the case. They could do that and it totally adjusts the numbers yes but we don't know if they did that at least from what I've read we don't know that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't know yet if that's the case. They could do that and it totally adjusts the numbers yes but we don't know if they did that at least from what I've read we don't know that.
Well, they didn't cut him. But if they had cut him, he'd have been a post-June 1st cut. Why? Because August comes after June 1st. The post-June 1st designation is for cuts that happen before June 1st that you want to have counted as post-June 1st cuts. Cuts that literally happen after June 1st are always post-June 1st cuts.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, they didn't cut him. But if they had cut him, he'd have been a post-June 1st cut. Why? Because August comes after June 1st. The post-June 1st designation is for cuts that happen before June 1st that you want to have counted as post-June 1st cuts. Cuts that literally happen after June 1st are always post-June 1st cuts.
But they don't have to designate it a post June 1st. All that allows is them to push the dead cap from this year to next. They don't have to do that they can eat the cap plus a team can only do 2 of those a year trades and cuts. Even after June 1st they don't have to push the money off it's just another accounting gimmick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But they don't have to designate it a post June 1st. All that allows is them to push the dead cap from this year to next. They don't have to do that they can eat the cap plus a team can only do 2 of those a year trades and cuts. Even after June 1st they don't have to push the money off it's just another accounting gimmick.
Again, you're talking about the designation. The designation applies BEFORE June 2nd. As of June 2nd (i.e., post June 1st), the dead cap doesn't all accelerate into this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, you're talking about the designation. The designation applies BEFORE June 2nd. As of June 2nd (i.e., post June 1st), the dead cap doesn't all accelerate into this year.
No not at all. They can absorb all the dead money this year or next year via the June 1st cut designation. Just because he would have been cut possibly in August doesn't mean the dead cap goes into next year. By default it goes in to the year the player is cut. You have to use the gimmick to move it to next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No not at all. They can absorb all the dead money this year or next year via the June 1st cut designation. Just because he would have been cut possibly in August doesn't mean the dead cap goes into next year. By default it goes in to the year the player is cut. You have to use the gimmick to move it to next year.
That's incorrect. The designation (or "gimmick") applies to transactions BEFORE June 2nd. You don't need to designate a person who is cut after June 1st as a post-June 1st cut. Because they are automatically that.
"What we are talking about here deals strictly with the acceleration of prorated bonus money onto the current years salary cap. The NFL essentially breaks up its salary cap accounting for bonuses into two periods with June 1 being the trigger date. When a player is removed from a players roster prior to June 1st all his remaining unamortized bonus money immediately accelerates onto the salary cap. To illustrate this we see how the Kansas City Chiefs gave Steve Breaston a $5 million dollar signing bonus in 2011, which was accounted as $1 million in yearly expenses over the course of his 5 year contract. When he was released just the other day he had only completed 2 years of his 5 year contract meaning the Chiefs salary cap had only accounted for $2 million of the $5 million paid in 2011. The balance of $3 million dollars immediately accelerates onto the Chiefs 2013 salary cap.

After June 1 the NFL changes the way the acceleration works. After June 1st only the current years expense remains on the books after the player is released. The balance accelerates onto the following years salary cap. So in Breastons case had the Chiefs waited until June 1st to release him his salary cap charge in 2013 would have been $1 million and in 2014 he still would be on the books at $2 million dollars."