Greg Gaines to bucs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
I think as fans at this point, we need to be "all in"! we have McVay when we were wondering if he would return. He did and now he is "all in" for a few more years. we are gonna see what he can do with his team now. I have endured the worst years of the rams and didn't have faith they could get better when they needed to, they sure made some bonehead decisions for sure. I'm ready to sit back in wonder mode and see what develops. A new team is on the horizon. Go rams.

younghutch

UDFA
Gaines was a nice player for us but if he was as good as is being portrayed he would've gotten more than a 1 yr deal.

Ram65

Legend
It's weird that Gaines only got a one-year deal. Good for him to get the money with no FLA. taxes So there is a chance the Rams bring him back as he is a west coast guy.

I think a healthy Gaines would be getting better entering his prime. This one hurts. I do think the Rams have others to replace him on the roster. It's the fact that they have to replace a lot of the defense which will take a couple of years.

I don't think the Rams have the money right now to resign him without redoing contracts. They may want to wait a year before doing that to see how healthy Stafford, Kupp, and AD are and how ready they are to stay.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I started a thread on the entire article he is part of it with shout out to Gaines,

But Greg Gaines was the difference maker. The Washington Huskey had six tackles (three solo), two pressures, and a quarterback hit that led to Rams first interception. We have seen how good Gaines can be with Aaron Donald in the lineup, but this was the first time we were able to see Gaines’s effectiveness without a three-time defensive player absorbing double and triple teams.
So... let's flip that article a little..
Subtract Gaines from that unit and add Donald.
Maybe *that's* why they're not too worried about losing him?
The Rams defense averaged 20.8 points a game in the last five contests.. that would be 13th over the course of the season.
That's manageable if they get the offense straightened out.

What will it take to get there? A lot.

The good news is that it's likely they get a really solid Edge in the second round.. someone like Felix Anudike-Uzomah.. or several others.
In fact.. there seems to be a deep enough pool this year that they could trade back a little and still get a rookie starter, imo.
There are corners that will be available in the 3rd who can start.. and some D lineman as well.

I definitely take the approach of trading back in this draft.. and trying to get as many top 150 picks as possible.

Mix that in with returning young players.. who can and need to grow. Bobby Brown.. Hoecht.. Ernest Jones.. Lake and Yeast.. Durant, Kendricks and Rochelle...
And sprinkle in some cheaper vets. Who knows.. maybe guys like Shaq Lawson.. Bud Dupree.. guys hoping for a real opportunity to rejuvenate their careers. Dante Fowler is still out there.. Maybe a Rodney Mcleod to help the young safeties.

They will absolutely need to NAIL their draft this year.. and their free agents but I'm not giving up hope.

For people saying they don't see a plan, I ask, do you really believe that? Because it seems pretty clear at this point what the plan is.

-Clear cap space for 24.
-Do NOT sign anyone who will affect FA draft compensation for 24.
-Restore the offense.

The losses are a bummer.. I absolutely loved Gaines.. but, hey.. time for someone else to step up.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I started a thread on the entire article which has a big shout-out to Gaines.

But Greg Gaines was the difference maker. The Washington Huskey had six tackles (three solo), two pressures, and a quarterback hit that led to Rams first interception. We have seen how good Gaines can be with Aaron Donald in the lineup, but this was the first time we were able to see Gaines’s effectiveness without a three-time defensive player absorbing double and triple teams.
In that article he says how Gaines was the difference maker, while also talking up Bobby Brown:
"Bobby Brown III did a fantastic job in limited action of winning along the interior. For the second straight week, he finished in the top-5 for the defense’s PFF grades."

He goes on to say, "I’m not sure what type of deal Gaines will command on the open market this offseason. Sebastian Joseph-Day cashed in a lucrative deal despite having limited pass rushing ability. Gaines figures to warrant more money but is he a scheme fit for other teams? The trouble becomes LA fitting his contract into a tight budget when players like Marquise Copeland, Bobby Brown III, and Jonah Williams continue to develop and warrant more playing time. I think Aaron Donald would like to have at least one of Greg Gaines and A’Shawn Robinson return. This offseason will be trying in more ways than one for Les Snead"
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Therein lies the problem. It doesn't look like AD is going to get Robinson either. But we gotta remember the AD effect. Dante Fowler was a disappointment in Jacksonville but a stud along side AD and not so great once he left L.A.. Then when we lost him, a disappointing Floyd came in. Had done nothing since his rookie season but thrived next to AD. Now Floyd, Gaines and probably A'Shawn are gone. Can Bobby Brown and Ernest Brown thrive next to AD? Suh and Von Miller seemed revived next to AD. Don't underestimate the AD Effect.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's weird that Gaines only got a one-year deal. Good for him to get the money with no FLA. taxes So there is a chance the Rams bring him back as he is a west coast guy.

I think a healthy Gaines would be getting better entering his prime. This one hurts. I do think the Rams have others to replace him on the roster. It's the fact that they have to replace a lot of the defense which will take a couple of years.

I don't think the Rams have the money right now to resign him without redoing contracts. They may want to wait a year before doing that to see how healthy Stafford, Kupp, and AD are and how ready they are to stay.

I didn't pay attention enough to see its a 1 year deal. So it's not a big a loss as it's being made out to be.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Guys we have no Cap room. You can't pay these guys with magic beans. I have no idea why anyone is surprised by how this free agency period has gone.

To me the only surprising thing is that Stafford, Kupp and Donald are considered untradeable.
after this week - i'm not so sure about anyone being off-limits. :woozy2:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Damn, that was the last remaining FA we had that I thought we would resign. Going to miss having him, but, moving on. This is definitely a tanking year, but they cannot say that or NFL will fine them and take picks.

That said, give me a bad year for 10+ years of Caleb leading us to SuperBowls. Obviously no guarantee we will get him, but, do we really have any options but tanking this year at this point? I don't see one.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
It's just a little remodeling, he said.....

subTYY9.jpg
its been put forth that the blob at the far right lower stem of the Mushroom is BB33, squid talk for USS Arkansas, in its day Thee or one of thee most powerful ship afloat

incredible power

A real diehard swabbie should appreciate this

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Caleb is the next Heisman bust. Caleb= Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray. But he’s already a bigger diva. He gets his nails painted before every game. No thanks on that loser.
Lol.. sure thing, turbo.

He's a fucking beast and incredible competitor. Was dominating Tulane before getting hurt and still gutted through that game. If SC had any semblance of a D, they would've won that and the Utah game.

Kid's a worker and a baller.. you seem confused by the image stuff.. close your eyes and listen to his post-game interviews.. he's as thoughtful and intelligent a college QB I've ever seen.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Lol.. sure thing, turbo.

He's a fucking beast and incredible competitor. Was dominating Tulane before getting hurt and still gutted through that game. If SC had any semblance of a D, they would've won that and the Utah game.

Kid's a worker and a baller.. you seem confused by the image stuff.. close your eyes and listen to his post-game interviews.. he's as thoughtful and intelligent a college QB I've ever seen.
System QB who puts up huge numbers in college. Pro game isn’t friendly to short QB’s that struggle in the pocket. Pro rushers have speed to take away his scrambling abilities. The guys a head case already. Somebody will draft him off his numbers and regret it immediately. He’s a little taller than Murray and about the same height as Mayfield. How did those two fair in the pros.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Caleb is the next Heisman bust. Caleb= Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray. But he’s already a bigger diva. He gets his nails painted before every game. No thanks on that loser.
Do you think he’ll paint my name on his fingernails for games when he’s the Rams QB?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, agree to disagree. I watch every game. He's a lot better NFL QB prospect then Murray or Mayfield. He has at least as good of an arm, is more accurate, doesn't run first like Murray, pocket presence is top tier, does Mahomes type plays on breakdowns. Loser is a strange way to label someone who is a absolute proven winner. As it has been stated, if USC had a semblance of a defense, they are natty potential, mostly because of that loser they have at QB.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
System QB who puts up huge numbers in college. Pro game isn’t friendly to short QB’s that struggle in the pocket. Pro rushers have speed to take away his scrambling abilities. The guys a head case already. Somebody will draft him off his numbers and regret it immediately. He’s a little taller than Murray and about the same height as Mayfield. How did those two fair in the pros.
Yeah, so he's potentially one inch shorter then Aaron Rodgers. 2" shorter then Stafford. Maybe. Undraftable.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Not going to say I’m an expert on Caleb Williams but to call him short is not accurate. He is 6’1”, Murray is 5’10”. Murray has all the talent but shit when it comes to being a leader and game preparation. Mayfield is 6’1” but his issues isn’t his height it’s his mechanics slow decision making ability.

Now a list of QB’s height:

Drew Brees 6’0
Patrick Mahomes 6’2”
Aaron Rodgers 6’2”
Jalen Hurts 6’1”
Russel Wilson 5’11”

Yeah he might not be your 1980’s and 90’s proto typical QB height but Aaron, Patrick, and Drew aren’t either. That’s 6’3” and above.

That all said my cutoff for a QB is 6’2” but statistically it looks like Caleb has the skills to make up for that one inch.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And one of that named QB's at 6'1 was the starting QB for the SuperBowl this season. Thats pretty good I think lol. And we don't actually know Williams actual height, I'm hoping its 6'2 but unlikely that its listed lower.

There is also Drake Maye in the class if height is peoples thing. 6'4 and looks pretty legit.