Goff vs Wentz. Will it be flexed?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No...not too old...Jim Kelly was awesome...I think if he had a better kicker, he'd have one SB win...he did go to 4 straight...quite a record of SB losses...Doubt it's ever duplicated. Jim ran a revolutionary system...Named the K-Gun....ran from the spread...kinda hurry up offense. Wouldn't consider such a big man a scrambler...not just tall, but large.
Staubach was a fantastic scrambler....So was Bradshaw...Russell Wilson is one boneheaded call away from winning 2 SB's.....So, scramblers do have a few wins of SB's under their belts. But, my point was/is...the league is changing. In the last 6-7 years, the NFC has sent a mobile QB to the super bowl (except for Matt Ryan last year)...the trend is or appears to be that scramblers are now the thing...look at the QB's drafted in the last 2 years..
Playing in the pocket is safer....Scrambling will probably lead to more injuries...But the only pocket QB that remains dangerous year after year is Tom Brady. Tom is truly terrific. Whether it's system or style, the guy just gets it done...And, I don't know if this style is repeatable. We have a bunch of pocket QB's in the league...we are now getting a bunch of scramblers. Time will tell who's correct in the type of QB needed to win in this era.
Yeah coz Brady a whiz at scrambling ... man did you see his 40 yard sprint for a TD ... it was amazing

Oh wait

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be worried that Wentz is going to get destroyed with as many quality hits as he takes. Reminds me of Cam Newton in that respect - even guys built like tanks can't take NFL shots like that week after week.
Hasn't Cam only missed 2 starts due to injury in his first 7 seasons?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hasn't Cam only missed 2 starts due to injury in his first 7 seasons?
Something like that. But othe bigger running qbs like Cam have missed more. Hard to tell if Wentz will get beat up like other runners. But history tells us it could increase injuries and decrease longevity.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Wentz for first 16 games:
379/607 62.4% 3782 yards 9.9 ypc/ 6.2 ypa 16td (2.6%) 11int (2.3%) QB rating 79.3

Goff for first 14 games (including last year disaster):
245/427 57.4% 2808 yards 11.5 ypc/ 6.6 ypa 14td (3.3%) 11int (2.6%) QB rating 77.5

Be real interesting to see what this looks like after 2 more games. Even with that awful offense system he was subject to, he's right there with Wentz in all catagories, and leading in a few

I might fib a little here and there but "THE STATS DONT LIE"

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
We're a Cooper Kupp drop from being 7-1 and in control of the division. But would Goff be labeled a winner then?

Kupp cost me a lot of ROD bucks with that drop. He hasn't been as sure handed as I'd hoped for.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I hope they flex the game, means that we're still relevant, and I think it'll be a good one.

I think Wentz looked very good the past few games, but I've only seen the highlights. I watched him week 1 and 2 and I thought he was alright, he made mistakes but overall he looks good, much better than last year.

However, I've noticed something. Everyone is talking about the Rams. Everyone. Why? Eagles play in the NFC East, they have a better record, their QB looks great and is making a bunch of flashy plays. They're on national TV more. Yet the talking heads are all saying the Rams. The Rams are the next big thing. Goff and the Rams are the next team to ascend. I saw a thing saying the Rams are the next big thing to hit the NFL like the Colts and Patriots were previously. They mentioned the Eagles with the teams that could potentially be there with us. Why is that? Why aren't they apparently with us now?

That tells me that the talking heads and experts see what the Rams are doing and go "That is sustainable. They're built the right way, they're young, they're only going to get better." They talk about how great Goff is with scanning the field, distributing the ball.

I think Wentz is doing really impressive things, he looks good. I think he's going to be a top flight QB. I'm not sure how sustainable it is because he gets hit a lot more, and I don't think he processes the game as quickly or accurately as Goff is doing, even though Goff is still getting comfortable and is essentially a rookie still. I think that's part of why pundits are more enamored by Goff and the Rams, because he's doing the things that show he can play in the league for a long time, and Wentz is showing things that are impressive but tend to have a shelf life unless you're one of the few that can make it work.

I think at this point Wentz is showing he can make it work, but I think in a few years he'll be firmly in the second tier category while Goff is in first tier.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you mean by "flex the game" please? Sorry in advance for my ignorance.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last half of the season the nfl will change early games to the late prime time game to put a better game on tv. So instead of two playoff teams playing at 10 am and two bad teams play at 5pm they'd swap game times.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks Olders......and Coconuts below.

bluecoconuts

Legend

When the NFL is making the schedule, the games later on in the season (weeks 13, 14, 15, 16 etc.) can be flexed, meaning moved to a primetime slot (Sunday night) or away from a primetime slot (Sunday afternoon/morning) based on the matchups. So if they have two basement teams, or one basement team and one powerhouse, playing on a Sunday night they can flex a game that's scheduled for Sunday afternoon into that primetime slot.

So right now the Steelers and the Ravens (I believe) are scheduled to play Sunday night the same week the Rams host the Eagles. That matchup could be two divisional leaders gearing up for the playoffs and trying to lock down their spot, which is much more interesting than the Steelers and the Ravens.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Even with that awful offense system he was subject to, he's right there with Wentz in all catagories, and leading in a few

I might fib a little here and there but "THE STATS DONT LIE"

Sometimes they do....but over time, they tell a tale....

Curious what the best measurable stat says? What's the win/loss totals?

Yeah coz Brady a whiz at scrambling ... man did you see his 40 yard sprint for a TD ... it was amazing
Follow along closer....Brady is amazing...In fact...he's done things that not many QB's can do...consistently WIN. Big games...playoff games...and of course Super Bowls. He does win from the pocket...like Peyton...like Brees...like many of the great ones. Is it him...or Josh's system? Does it matter??? He wins...

No one else has done it quite like him. No one...Even Montana had some marvelous mobility...but was essentially a pocket QB, that relied on the quick passing game. Brady drops back...throws quick...but if necessary will slide around and find a target. Quick release is his game, and he's mastered it. Until I see another guy like him...have success like him...I doubt if this is the future of the pro game.

The narrative....ah man....someone once said, if you can't attack the facts....attack the person presenting the facts. It's a common bait and switch tactic used by....hmmmm, let see???

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Of course...sliding around in the pocket was his specialty in college. He still moves around pretty well...Where did you get I thought him a statue?
When comparing wentz and Goff before training camp, your statement was "and one of them makes plays with his feet." This implies Goff can't move.

Ants

Starter
Of course...sliding around in the pocket was his specialty in college. He still moves around pretty well...Where did you get I thought him a statue?

I didn't think you called him a statue.
I was merely pointing out that Wentz isn't the only guy that has escapability. Goff is also able to move around pretty well - so it's not like you can use that as a big plus for Wentz when comparing him to Goff.
Let me put it this way: Goff is smarter when it comes to protecting his body. (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Curious what the best measurable stat says? What's the win/loss totals?
Great question, right now Goff is 5-9 thru 14, can win next 2 to match Wentz 7-9 start which is unimaginable considering the disaster Goff endured

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When comparing wentz and Goff before training camp, your statement was "and one of them makes plays with his feet." This implies Goff can't move.
Or rather, Wentz makes considerably MORE plays with his feet. So many more that it does stand out. So much more that in comparison, he IS almost like a statue.
I won't go back to camp...or last year...I'll just say, when Wentz does leave the pocket, he's one of the most dangerous players in the league at the moment. They aren't saying the guy is in the running for LEAGUE MVP for nothing.
I was merely pointing out that Wentz isn't the only guy that has escapability. Goff is also able to move around pretty well - so it's not like you can use that as a big plus for Wentz when comparing him to Goff.
Big plus....hmmm. Did you watch the game last night? If anything that he did, in certain situations, as far as scrambling that you believe that Goff can do, I'd be interested in hearing it. They are fundamentally different in this aspect.
I'm starting to discount this alleged accuracy claim also...especially deep passes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great question, right now Goff is 5-9 thru 14, can win next 2 to match Wentz 7-9 start which is unimaginable considering the disaster Goff endured
Not really....Goff has some skill...We have a lot of talent. I think 7-9 should be the goal (for first 16 games)....and a 2017 record of 7-2

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really....Goff has some skill...We have a lot of talent. I think 7-9 should be the goal (for first 16 games)....and a 2017 record of 7-2
7-9 is doable, will be interesting to see how the numbers play out.
Interesting comparison, not a be all end all by any stretch.
I like Wentz a lot. And I hate the Eagles a whole lot. But I liked McNabb and was able to find a happy medium, will try and repeat that with CW.
Of course I naturally pull for the guys wearing horns but truly believe Goff will be right there with Wentz when he has comparative experience

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But I liked McNabb and was able to find a happy medium, will try and repeat that with CW.
I liked McNabb...until I saw him throwing up on the field...and everyone started blaming TO for telling people he was out of shape....Great QB...He sure could throw the deep ball. I watched them when they had the dude outta UCLA..the wr...Mitchel....he started thanking his hands for making a catch after a game in a interview..and he hasn't been seen in the league since...Really watched them when they had that defense...and that terrible field. Remember when the fans boo'd Santa...Cheered when Mike Irvin broke his neck....My buddy would play with that Philly team in Madden.

Of course I naturally pull for the guys wearing horns but truly believe Goff will be right there with Wentz when he has comparative experience
I always pull for the Rams....I'd be....I just wouldn't be...honest if I don't post what I feel....It's funny too...that so many guys wanna be right about something....miles away from one another...all watching the same games...same highlights...and seeing DIFFERENT things. LOLOLOL

I watched film of Wentz in college...watched the bowl game...then watched him at the senior bowl. Read as much info on the guy as I could...Same with Goff...I actually saw Goff in action vs the LA teams.

db, you know the game....letting these types of players pass you by in the draft can come back to bite you...Goff is probably good....Wentz is probably special...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
db, you know the game....letting these types of players pass you by in the draft can come back to bite you...Goff is probably good....Wentz is probably special...
I think they'll both be good, but I truly believe that Goff will be special.
I think his ability in the pocket is Brady/Montana-esque

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's interesting though....they would have to kick out either Steelers vs. Ravens or the following week Cowboys vs. Raiders..
I think they'll bounce games that dont have playoff implications. I think the best bet is Baltimore crapping out.