Goff vs Wentz. Will it be flexed?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is 2 years younger, a year behind in quality coaching and in his second offense in 14 starts! What he's done with what he was dealt is great. Wentz is a damned good QB but I love what I see from the face of the Rams franchise, don't regret us having him for a second. The surrounding cast and the new coaching staff have us set up for long term success I plan on enjoying the hell out of it.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Elway may have only "won" 2 SB's....but it wasn't because he wasn't trying. He was carrying a Bronco team to the playoffs that didn't belong...He went to 6 SB's....correct? that's the point. Those players were their teams...

Pocket QB's.....the league is changing. You need a play maker against the best defensive teams...Offensive lines aren't the same.

Almost every pundit that saw the game last night, referred to the guy as a MVP candidate. The players around him are average....I do like that Mack Hollins...and Nelson Agholor can play. Lifting a team is different than managing the game. During the playoffs, you need the guy that can put the team on his back, when things are going wrong....and make it right.

I didn't get in here to keep talking about Wentz....I assumed most saw the game last night...and if you formed an opinion on him that's fine...I just made a comment to a post I thought was...just way off on this guy.

The team that beat us, he has beaten twice...easily. I bet my hard earned ROD$$$$ on the pocket guy vs the scrambler....and the scrambler won...for the 2nd time.

Jim Kelly is another Wentz type with some HOF WR's and 0 SB wins.Fran Tarkenton and 4 SB's scrambler HOF'er leader and 0 SB's .Wentz has two of the top paid WR's in the league in his #1 & #2 receiver.The Eagles won the lottery on getting the TOP WR Jeffery in Free Agency and then backed it up with another top WR.in 7 year vet Torrey Smith from Maryland.Aghalor out of USC in his 2nd year is now not dropping the ball as he did as a rookie and is playing like he did as a speedy tall WR Trojan.RG3,Wussel Wison,Colin Kaepernik and you haven't named 1 QB that has 2 SB's that's a scrambler. Do I need to go back to Roger Staubach with his Dorsett and WR talented team? He did scramble. There I helped you out. How many SB's did Roger win? Am I too old for you?

AP is not in Gurley's league now. I'm worried about you making that comment after watching 11 rushes for 21 yards. He was actually lucky to get 21. It was embarrassing after the week before. Elways last two seasons were to hand the ball off to a HOF RB. That's it. Please stop it with the mobile qb will change the NFL. Not even a handful of SB's in 51 games. It's not changing.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Am I too old for you?
No...not too old...Jim Kelly was awesome...I think if he had a better kicker, he'd have one SB win...he did go to 4 straight...quite a record of SB losses...Doubt it's ever duplicated. Jim ran a revolutionary system...Named the K-Gun....ran from the spread...kinda hurry up offense. Wouldn't consider such a big man a scrambler...not just tall, but large.
Staubach was a fantastic scrambler....So was Bradshaw...Russell Wilson is one boneheaded call away from winning 2 SB's.....So, scramblers do have a few wins of SB's under their belts. But, my point was/is...the league is changing. In the last 6-7 years, the NFC has sent a mobile QB to the super bowl (except for Matt Ryan last year)...the trend is or appears to be that scramblers are now the thing...look at the QB's drafted in the last 2 years..
Playing in the pocket is safer....Scrambling will probably lead to more injuries...But the only pocket QB that remains dangerous year after year is Tom Brady. Tom is truly terrific. Whether it's system or style, the guy just gets it done...And, I don't know if this style is repeatable. We have a bunch of pocket QB's in the league...we are now getting a bunch of scramblers. Time will tell who's correct in the type of QB needed to win in this era.

jap

Legend
. . . and the Jared versus Carson world wars are just heating up. This will be continued throughout their careers and even beyond. I believe if both fulfill their potential, Jared will prove to be the more effective QB, assuming both retain similar offensive weapons.

I think Jared will prove to be more of an ARod-type player, the QB who can kill you with accuracy & touch but can utilize his wheels if all other options are less efficient.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jim Kelly is another Wentz type with some HOF WR's and 0 SB wins.
Kelly wasnt much of a scrambler, in fact he was pretty slow afoot.
Wentz has some wheels, but so does Aaron Rodgers and we see what happens to him.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Elway may have only "won" 2 SB's....but it wasn't because he wasn't trying. He was carrying a Bronco team to the playoffs that didn't belong...He went to 6 SB's....correct? that's the point. Those players were their teams...

Pocket QB's.....the league is changing. You need a play maker against the best defensive teams...Offensive lines aren't the same.

Almost every pundit that saw the game last night, referred to the guy as a MVP candidate. The players around him are average....I do like that Mack Hollins...and Nelson Agholor can play. Lifting a team is different than managing the game. During the playoffs, you need the guy that can put the team on his back, when things are going wrong....and make it right.

I didn't get in here to keep talking about Wentz....I assumed most saw the game last night...and if you formed an opinion on him that's fine...I just made a comment to a post I thought was...just way off on this guy.

The team that beat us, he has beaten twice...easily. I bet my hard earned ROD$$$$ on the pocket guy vs the scrambler....and the scrambler won...for the 2nd time.
No...not too old...Jim Kelly was awesome...I think if he had a better kicker, he'd have one SB win...he did go to 4 straight...quite a record of SB losses...Doubt it's ever duplicated. Jim ran a revolutionary system...Named the K-Gun....ran from the spread...kinda hurry up offense. Wouldn't consider such a big man a scrambler...not just tall, but large.
Staubach was a fantastic scrambler....So was Bradshaw...Russell Wilson is one boneheaded call away from winning 2 SB's.....So, scramblers do have a few wins of SB's under their belts. But, my point was/is...the league is changing. In the last 6-7 years, the NFC has sent a mobile QB to the super bowl (except for Matt Ryan last year)...the trend is or appears to be that scramblers are now the thing...look at the QB's drafted in the last 2 years..
Playing in the pocket is safer....Scrambling will probably lead to more injuries...But the only pocket QB that remains dangerous year after year is Tom Brady. Tom is truly terrific. Whether it's system or style, the guy just gets it done...And, I don't know if this style is repeatable. We have a bunch of pocket QB's in the league...we are now getting a bunch of scramblers. Time will tell who's correct in the type of QB needed to win in this era.

Bradshaw was a pure pocket passer so I'm out of this discussion.No wins by so called scramblers. Houston just drafted one we face in 3 weeks and the other AFC team we play has one from Oregon who has fallen on hard times as all scramblers in a hard hitting league will ALWAYS beat them up and stop them from being year in and year out winners.We face the best two in the AFC South in Titans and Texans. Should win both games. Its the defense that dominates for Philly. I'd favor them if we don't improve before Dec. 10th. I see the Goff Wentz matchup something to watch as the only 1-2 QB success since a very long time ago in 1-2 QB drafts. Normally one was a bust. Goff won't be a bust under Mcvay & this system.He just won't. He may have a higher ceiling then most here realize. Needs to add 10 LBS.Stop the Bradshaw scrambling noise. AP is DONE.They ran on the Bucs "D". PERIOD!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It could be installment #1 of a rivalry that lasts the next 10 years or more.

Looks like the spiritual successor of Brady vs Manning. Hoping Goff is Brady from a winning standpoint in the postseason

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Kelly wasnt much of a scrambler, in fact he was pretty slow afoot.
Wentz has some wheels, but so does Aaron Rodgers and we see what happens to him.

He was short too,not a large guy.Played LB early in his FB career. He did the occasional run as I was humoring this guy about scramblers in the NFL. Not even 5 SB wins from what is considered scramblers out of 51 SB's played. Too many injuries for all running QB's. Always will be. Mariota is hurting now from his running ways.Not even half a season.I totally agree with you.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was short too,not a large guy.Played LB early in his FB career. He did the occasional run as I was humoring this guy about scramblers in the NFL. Not even 5 SB wins from what is considered scramblers out of 51 SB's played. Too many injuries for all running QB's. Always will be. Mariota is hurting now from his running ways.Not even half a season.I totally agree with you.
Gotcha. Kelly was a big dude though, 6'3-6'4. IIRC Penn State only recruited him to play LB which is why he went to Miami

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Just to be a bit anti; but also because I believe it, t:

Goff has our amazing line, a great RB and 3 pretty good WRs, but the 'efficiency' rating against the Cards was not good. I wonder if he has peaked for 2017. Look at Sanchez in 2009-2010: best line, best running game, 2 near pro bowl WRs and in his 3rd year he sucked....never got better. My point is not that Goff= Sanchez, but it is that with all the great O Line play the numbers should be a lot better.

I disagree. I honestly believe that 1 year under his belt with this playbook is going to create a higher level of comfort for the young man. That is where I think we'll see "big dividends."

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz for first 16 games:
379/607 62.4% 3782 yards 9.9 ypc/ 6.2 ypa 16td (2.6%) 11int (2.3%) QB rating 79.3

Goff for first 14 games (including last year disaster):
245/427 57.4% 2808 yards 11.5 ypc/ 6.6 ypa 14td (3.3%) 11int (2.6%) QB rating 77.5

Be real interesting to see what this looks like after 2 more games. Even with that awful offense system he was subject to, he's right there with Wentz in all catagories, and leading in a few

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd be worried that Wentz is going to get destroyed with as many quality hits as he takes. Reminds me of Cam Newton in that respect - even guys built like tanks can't take NFL shots like that week after week.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
WE can compare Winston & Mariota as the only other successfull 1st&2nd QB draft that I can remember.Many drafts that had QB's that were great & HOF'ers but not going #1 and #2. Goff and Wentz will challenge to be the best of alltime in that #1 & #2 category.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz for first 16 games:
379/607 62.4% 3782 yards 9.9 ypc/ 6.2 ypa 16td (2.6%) 11int (2.3%) QB rating 79.3

Goff for first 14 games (including last year disaster):
245/427 57.4% 2808 yards 11.5 ypc/ 6.6 ypa 14td (3.3%) 11int (2.6%) QB rating 77.5

Be real interesting to see what this looks like after 2 more games. Even with that awful offense system he was subject to, he's right there with Wentz in all catagories, and leading in a few
That doesn't fit the narrative though. The fact that he's put those numbers up with 7 games of last years offense as a "bust" should be celebrated. Instead people wish we had Wentz instead of Goff. Those numbers are just amazing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're a Cooper Kupp drop from being 7-1 and in control of the division. But would Goff be labeled a winner then?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We're a Cooper Kupp drop from being 7-1 and in control of the division. But would Goff be labeled a winner then?
No, but I don't really care, because we would know that he is a winner, and winning.

Yes, the game should be flexed.

If we can consistently establish a pass rush, and get to the QB, then it doesn't matter how good your QB is. When we hit Joe Montana in the mouth a few times early in a game, we would beat them.

I saw on several occasions that Wentz made mistakes, but got away with them. When you put pressure on him, like anyone else, he rushes his throws, and makes bad ones, or takes bad reads.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'd be worried that Wentz is going to get destroyed with as many quality hits as he takes. Reminds me of Cam Newton in that respect - even guys built like tanks can't take NFL shots like that week after week.
Not just a matter of being worried... in my opinion this is the likely outcome of Wentz' current approach to the game. He needs to adapt and stop trying to make every play with his body. Doesn't matter if you're 245 lbs, you're only as strong as your knee or shoulder joint. I'm surprised the Philly coaches are good with this approach, which to me looks reckless at times.