Goff observation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't recall anyone arguing Goff is better than Wentz.

They are different. Goff is two years younger, he is in the 1st year of a real NFL offense, and he has played in 9 less NFL games, which is big at this stage of his career. So basically he is at least a year behind Wentz.

Not to mention that they are different type QBs. Wentz looks to be on track to be a top caliber QB for a long time. Still not a guarantee though. His style of play over time could lead to injury issues which might be the only threat to his ascent to the top level, which is great for the game.

Goff after 17 games appears to be on his way, but certainly he has more to prove just for the fact he has fewer games to stand on. Last year Wentz faded during his 1st full season, but he learned and has gotten much better this year.

There is no reason to not expect Goff to learn from this season and be better next year. Yet some seem intent on dismissing him without giving him that same opportunity Wentz had to improve. And really Goff has been better in the 1st year of this offense than Wentz was in his 1st year in their offense.

See that is the difference. You want to write a narrative that doesn't even fit the situation. No rational NFL viewer would right off Goff like you have.

In the end it's very possible the diff between Goff and Wentz will be like comparing Rogers, Brees, Rothilsberger, Wilson etc....

They will each have success and they will each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Liking one does not mean the other should be denegrated.... they both can be big successes.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yeah, the only pass into a lot of coverage was that one to Woods, Goff also missed a few players while throwing on the run. Things weren't perfect for Goff, but its a reality every QB will have to face. I agree on the offensive gameplan, an effort to run the ball better would've benefited the offense. Gurley still leads the league in all purpose yards and TDs, not giving him the ball is foolish.
Gurley was wide open on that play as well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IDK what he turns into...but at the moment, Wentz is doing it...better than most.
Wentz is making his fair share of mistakes too though. All of which is being over shadowed because of the play of the team as a whole. He's been hovering around 50% in his last couple games.
Not knocking him, he's making it count but the success meter is definitely running with different settings when it comes to these two QB

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
@Ants

I borrowed that analogy from a announcer.....

Bucky Brooks....

and I think it fits

Brees is a tractor....Wentz is a tractor

Dak is a trailer.....and so is someone else...

Oh Champ....Never had an issue with you and we are all entitled to our opinion.
But if 16TD's and 4 INT's and a 7-3 record is a trailer I'll take the trailer all day.

The dude was harassed all day yesterday. Not sure why you think Goff should of won the game by himself. The reality is he drove the team a few times and I like Kupp but the fumble was a game killer and changer. Yea, it happens, and it also causes losses.
Let's be fair bro-NOBODY on the team played well yesterday. Goff didn't turn the ball over so he didn't exactly hurt us.
If anyone hurt us it was our OL not blocking, McVay not calling a very good game, not using Tavon at all and our defense missing easy sacks and giving up big plays (thanks Hattfield).
End of the day team loss...
And I can't believe you don't think Minnesota is legit? They have the #5 ranked D and give up 77 yards a game on the ground. 77! They are no joke.

Ram65

Legend
Goff composed?? Are you kidding? He was running around before every snap after the first drive, barely getting the snap off in time trying to get everyone on the same page. The whole offense was out of synch. No huddle was completely undoable because of the crowd noise.Timeouts, delay of game penalties and false starts.

Goff had a hard time communicating with his offense because of the crowd.
Far from composed.

Goff looked composed to me.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dec....69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#dobs=composed

com·posed
kəmˈpōzd/
adjective
adjective: composed
  1. having one's feelings and expression under control; calm.
    synonyms: calm, collected, cool, cool as a cucumber, 'cool, calm, and collected', self-controlled, self-possessed; More
    antonyms: excited
Crowd noise and composure? That was one loud stadium that rivals any other in the NFL and could be the loudest play in and play out. I noticed one false start. Two times outs in the first half for running out of time. I posted a video of Aaron Rodgers getting a flag for delay of game last year. The Vikings know how to take advantage of their home field noise volume by delaying defensive movement as to not tip their hand. Hard for any QB to make adjustments. It was a very hostile environment that even the announcers said they would be surprise if Goff could talk after the game. The Rams had expected minimal damage dealing with the noise but, I'm sure it was a big advantage for the Vikings. Rams lost but it wasn't because Goff lost his composure.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The dude was harassed all day yesterday. Not sure why you think Goff should of won the game by himself. The reality is he drove the team a few times and I like Kupp but the fumble was a game killer and changer. Yea, it happens, and it also causes losses.
Let's be fair bro-NOBODY on the team played well yesterday. Goff didn't turn the ball over so he didn't exactly hurt us.

That was one loud stadium that rivals any other in the NFL and could be the loudest play in and play out.
That's what I saw as I watched the game last night... very hostile environment (frankly, I was surprised they didn't have more delay of game penalties and time outs). Considering how loud it was (I have a very good audio system and I can tell the differences), I thought the offense did remarkably well. SEA has nothing on those fans!

In fact, I was surprised at how well the offense (and defense until they gassed out in the 4th) played. I was expecting lots of break downs... what I saw was some good running plays (not enough, obviously), good separation and passes (with some exceptions, when Goff was under pressure).

What I also saw was too many dropped passes... a roughing the passer penalty (that really wasn't) at the most inopportune time and a defense that eventually broke down (mostly because the secondary took injury hits and the replacements did not step up - Hatfield).

I'd say you could count around 10 things that prevented the Rams from winning that game... I'd put Goff around 8th (he wasn't nearly "all of the issue").

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
For the most part I do not read your post. As far as stating points when someone disagrees with you is a moot point, you will never change your point of view. You do not like Goff and think they made a bad choice, I do not think you will ever change your mind on that.

Is he the right QB, I do not know and neither do you. If you did you would not be on this forum, you would be making millions advising teams on who they should be picking.

But I will support and root for him to be succeed because he plays for the RAMS. Just like I rooted for GR (when he was drafted I was hoping for Matthews by the way) and Quick and Britt. Once they put on the Horns I want them to be the best because it helps the team if they are. "We not me"

I do not know you and you may be a great guy and someone this world needs more of or you might be the dick you come across as on here a lot. Either way I will continue to just move past your post, to bad because I bet sometimes you may have a good point.

I will not waste my time in a back in forth with you and wish others would not respond to your post when you are doom and gloom.
Sorry to come off like a dick.....I could say some of you guys act like hurt pussies...but, I won't go there.

I want the best too....Always have....Never thought much about the draft or the picks...never thought to express my views...I remember when I first surfed the web....some guy was bashing Pat Haden....who I thought threw a great deep ball....Another day, guy was bashing Dieter Brock...I noted he was ROY.....I told a guy Jeff Kemp could throw....nope, someone in here said he was garbage....

So now.....if Pat Haden was crap.....Dieter Brock garbage.....Jeff Kemp can't throw....hell, I read in here how bad Jim Everett was....Jim "freaking" Everett....and now, I tell you, Jared's ok....he's a good QB....but really a glorified game manager....which should be ok....good enough...not a slant...just an observation....and everybody acts like if you don't kiss his feet, rub his back...point him in the direction of the setting sun, I don't like the Rams....I'd like to give most of you a big fuck you finger...but I try and be civil and explain myself...

He's ok....OK....good even...to a point. But if you watch most of the games...teams with GREAT QB's win more...it's that simple. If you wanna win with a good one...a Jeff Kemp, Pat Haden, Jim Everett, or even a Dieter Brock...you need a GREAT DEFENSE....and a very good running game...which also needs a fantastic offensive line. We don't have 2 of those 3....So we need great QB play...I guess me pointing out this guy isn't great...not headed for greatness without hard work....pulls everyones panties in a bunch (see where I get the hurt pussy reference?:sneaky:)...

You don't really read my posts....and now you're encouraging others to do the same? I wonder why?
Why not make your OWN post....own thread....with your own thoughts...or shit you wanna discuss, and see who else joins in? Participates in the shit YOU wanna talk about? I'm curious....I'd like to see what the hell you think is interesting.

You know....people say a lot of shit....about makin money....how to make some....who makes some....if you were this and that you'd be in the NFL getting paid to make money...that's your opinion right?

Some of the biggest idiots I've ever seen have been involved in sports....but sports don't have a....they don't have a monopoly on idiocy....it's everywhere...from your local bakery....office....hell, even in the highest reaches of the government....all making money....that shows they aren't idiots....why, cause they make a bunch of money.....but idiots none the less.

I'm probably not a great guy....just a guy...with an opinion...one not everyone is gonna like...been fuck over too much...screwed....hustled....scammed....lied to....all kind of shit....I'm fun to be around...don't mind buying a drink with the fellas...flirt with the ladies.....argue my point...laugh when I'm wrong....cry when sad....regular guy....well, not that crying part....LOL.....regular guy.....oh yeah, I do think whoever was the DC at UCLA has MY JOB! OLOL....I do know, Ken Norton was a much better (meh, maybe lil better, he never liked to hit with his head) athlete, no
way in hell is he a better football coach....he's got MY JOB too.....I'm confident like that.

Continue to say....I don't read your posts much....then comment like you know everything I've written for the past 6 months....fucking weirdos on the net....one day..HOPEFULLY, I'll get to meet everyone of you....maybe a pig pickin type thing....at a super bowl....I'm not as bad as some of you make me out to be....I'm not a punk either....I argue, cuss, spit...eat, drink....shit, fart, burp...so, I don't think I'm perfect....far from it.

We're all Rams fans.....some of you just becoming fans....Some of you longer than me...I never pointed out what I thought the team was doing wrong...remember, I liked Haden, Rutledge, Kemp, Brock...Everett....thought we could win with them....WE COULD NOT...Bert Jones...Joe Namath...Couldn't win with Ferragamo.....Couldn't win the big one....Couldn't win with Sam Bradford....damn shame....

If we wanna win a playoff game....the play of the line needs to be better....same with the wide receivers....QB can help...getting rid of the ball earlier....targeting the RIGHT guys...moving better in the pocket...stuff you'll see on tape.

I'm not mad we didn't pick Wentz...ship has sailed.....I'd like all the Goff Fanboys to ADMIT, perhaps Wentz would have looked better in horns.

I'm not mad that Quick & G-Rob aren't Rams....I'm just pointing out, these guys could and can play. I saw the 7 game stretch of Quick...with Austin Davis....but now he's garbage.....silly narrative. G-Rob is a bust...oh really? I've said this many times....O_linemen that get knocked backwards....have grass stains on their butts...are a liability....never seen G-Rob on his butt....never seen a DE just push him into the QB....but he couldn't HELP us.....OK...

We've played 3-4 playoff caliber teams....what's our record? How did the topic of this OP play? What did you observe? Oh, don't like others observations, say why....all the grandstanding....what you read....what you think I'm about....is bullshit man....trying to change the topic...for what? You must aint got nothing to say....or don't know how to express it...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought he played a heck of a good first half, should have had 14 on the board. 2nd half, well, thanks to a key drop and some bad decisions on his part, he was like 4/11 with only a little time left. 3 and outs arent good but the situation was exasperated by Minnesota's time consuming 12 play drives. No bad forces, fumbles or pick 6 situations.
He didnt give the game away, he just didnt get the lucky break away runs that the opposition got

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lots and lots of words... some might classify as rambling... in that post... but these comments caught my attention:

I'm not mad we didn't pick Wentz...ship has sailed.....I'd like all the Goff Fanboys to ADMIT, perhaps Wentz would have looked better in horns.
* I'm not mad
* I'd like all the Goff Fanboys to ADMIT
Do you see how you just contradicted yourself... I'm not mad.. but you need to admit..

I could say some of you guys act like hurt pussies...but, I won't go there.
Um, sir, you just did :oops:

I think I'll just leave you to your own musings going forward... best of luck to you as you try to communicate your takes and feelings on the various QBs/teams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But if 16TD's and 4 INT's and a 7-3 record is a trailer I'll take the trailer all day.
Stats look great...look inside them...who were they against? What's the stats in the losses....and I know some QB's play terrible in losses...no shocker...but most of our losses were to good teams....
If he only plays well against terrible opposition...proves my point....trailer...
Sometimes, Andy Dalton is cool....Matt Ryan is cool...

Sometimes you'll need more...like last Sunday.

The dude was harassed all day yesterday.
That's what good teams do...harrass the QB...So every game he's really harrassed, we're gonna score 7 points? OK
Not sure why you think Goff should of won the game by himself.
Picked up the team....And I expect this cause he's the QB...The #1 overall pick QB...not a 3rd rounder...expectations are a bitch.
The reality is he drove the team a few times and I like Kupp but the fumble was a game killer and changer. Yea, it happens, and it also causes losses.
Pick him up....this was in the 2nd quarter...plenty of time...and drives to fix it.
Let's be fair bro-NOBODY on the team played well yesterday.
I thought Woods played well....Didn't really SEE Sammy Watkins...but I thought he LOOKED ready to play and contribute....
Defense held them to 7 points through 3 quarters....not great...but not bad either....couple longer drives coulda helped. Run defense sucked...I guess allowing 125 ypg means something
you know who didn't play well? Kupp, Higbee, Brown, Havenstein,..hell the line wasn't opening many holes...

Goff didn't turn the ball over so he didn't exactly hurt us.
Naw.....no TD passes either...so, does that mean he didn't help? Look at first downs this game...3rd down conversion %%%....redzone%%%% tells a tale
And I can't believe you don't think Minnesota is legit? They have the #5 ranked D and give up 77 yards a game on the ground. 77! They are no joke.
Like Zim....Like several defenders....like those wrs...like those RB's....
Their QB...is the question....one thing I'll say....I see why Fish pick Keenum to start....dudes dangerous with his feet too...gritty performance...thought we took it easy on him. Like he had a red jersey on.

Minnesota is behind Philly, NO, and Panthers IMO....only because of QB play..their defense looks legit...but...not convinced...we drove down the first series...shoulda did it more.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wentz is making his fair share of mistakes too though. All of which is being over shadowed because of the play of the team as a whole. He's been hovering around 50% in his last couple games.
First few games of the season....he was carrying this team...now, the others have caught up.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Stats look great...look inside them...who were they against? What's the stats in the losses....and I know some QB's play terrible in losses...no shocker...but most of our losses were to good teams....
If he only plays well against terrible opposition...proves my point....trailer...
Sometimes, Andy Dalton is cool....Matt Ryan is cool...

Sometimes you'll need more...like last Sunday.

That's what good teams do...harrass the QB...So every game he's really harrassed, we're gonna score 7 points? OK

Picked up the team....And I expect this cause he's the QB...The #1 overall pick QB...not a 3rd rounder...expectations are a bitch.

Pick him up....this was in the 2nd quarter...plenty of time...and drives to fix it.

I thought Woods played well....Didn't really SEE Sammy Watkins...but I thought he LOOKED ready to play and contribute....
Defense held them to 7 points through 3 quarters....not great...but not bad either....couple longer drives coulda helped. Run defense sucked...I guess allowing 125 ypg means something
you know who didn't play well? Kupp, Higbee, Brown, Havenstein,..hell the line wasn't opening many holes...

Naw.....no TD passes either...so, does that mean he didn't help? Look at first downs this game...3rd down conversion %%%....redzone%%%% tells a tale
Like Zim....Like several defenders....like those wrs...like those RB's....
Their QB...is the question....one thing I'll say....I see why Fish pick Keenum to start....dudes dangerous with his feet too...gritty performance...thought we took it easy on him. Like he had a red jersey on.

Minnesota is behind Philly, NO, and Panthers IMO....only because of QB play..their defense looks legit...but...not convinced...we drove down the first series...shoulda did it more.

I personally don't think anyone is right or wrong here because they are all opinion. Do I think Goff has been our savior ? No, but I think from last year to this he's made huge strides. He's also looked like a rookie at times, which he essentially is. He's made some bad decisions, bad throws and looked average. But he's also made some great plays that gives you hope that he can be a star for a long time. Maybe he could of made a couple better decisions instead of forcing a bomb into triple coverage. I know one thing for sure, every person on this board could say when I was 23 I wish I would of done a few things different. He's still a kid playing a mans game...I would bet money he's only going to get better.
But, that's just my opinion :)

BW

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
Goff also threw it into triple coverage, and missed a few wide open receivers. There were a few drops, but there were also a few inaccurate throws. 2 wasted timeouts and a delay of game penalty showed his lack of poise.

The vikings are legit, anyone who thought otherwise is fooling themselves, Keenum picked us apart yesterday. To be clear I'm not putting anything on our QB, it was a team loss.

That play where Goff fell down on his own when he was throwing to Gurley to me that was a sign of how the day was going that play would have been a touchdown at best a 50 yarder at worse

And then there was the play that Goff threw into triple coverage, I just saw a replay that showed Gurley completely uncovered on the left side.

There was NO ONE within 10 to 15 yards of him and nobody in front of him.

He would have gotten at minimum 40 yards (maybe a TD).

The only defenders that would have had a chance at stopping him would be the 3 that were covering Woods. They would have gotten over there eventually (maybe the 20 yard line or so) but open field tackles.... who knows.

Happens, unfortunately. I wasn’t a huge fan of our game plan.

Some damn good posts. I wasn’t a big fan of our game plan and wonder how we decided to go this route and why we didn’t adjust like we usually do to gain the upper hand defensively and offensively.

Honestly this was a good loss where we needed something like Whitworth said “ to bring the team back down to Earth” and this is the perfect time for it to happen.

I feel we even got outcoached, out played, and out classed with a loud ass home field advantage to boot. Playoff atmosphere and a great experience to have under our belt already for when the big games do roll around.

I was down on Kupp but think because I thought so highly of him as a 10 year pro and ‘ perfect’ already he can’t maje mistakes. Or Goff missing that open guy. Im sure you as well as I rather them learn this lesson here instead of later on.

I’m very pumped at what the rest of the season holds for us.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Best deep passer in the league huh? Wonder why he's behind in total yards tho?

I'm starting to think some of those stats are based on the defenses we've played...

Lets see what he looks like against another big test...playoff caliber team....now at home....you tell me what YOU see this Sunday.

I'm on to New Orleans

Because those are two completely different stats.

I'll see a young QB growing and improving every week this Sunday. I'll see plenty of hope and a bright future. I already know what you'll see, whatever you can to fit your weird anti-Goff narrative. It's gotten to the point you can't even enjoy a 7-3 (or 7-2 record).... I mean that's a little depressing man.

And I say that in true sincerity, it's a pretty shitty thought to always be focused on what could have been, and never about how you can make the most of what you have. Just sit back and enjoy it, because you're not going to convince the rest of us to come down from our high. This has been the best season in over a decade.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First few games of the season....he was carrying this team...now, the others have caught up.
He's missing throws though. Its not hurting them now, but if we are talking about post season concerns, thats a big one