Goff a 4 yr, $134 million ext. includes record $110 mil. guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Waaaay more optimistic about this deal than the deal they gave Bulger - when Bulger's deal came out, I knew the Rams were doomed - middling QB getting franchise QB contract was an albatross. This deal with Goff will set us up nicely in the future. What a relief.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm assuming a large amount is a signing bonus paid now or fairly soon, so two years before the contract extension kicks in.. This may hurt Kroenke a little, given the time value of money, but he is smart enough to know that getting a discount against the cap is likely to make him more money with the Rams being more competitive, than the discount rate will hurt him. Meanwhile Goff will get $50-80 million to invest two years early.

Win-Win, baby!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The alternative is to draft and develop one every four years.

Now instead we will most likely need to draft and develop a WR and several OL every four years.
What's the success % on that? Low. Very low. Where has that method worked?
I understand this universal idea that having a very good QB on a rookie deal is Disneyworld vs having a very good QB getting paid...but it's not easy to get one no matter how well you draft or how often you draft one.

As to your 2nd point about WR's & OL, assembling a WR core and quality linemen is easier than manufacturing a franchise QB.

If you're not sold that Goff is a franchise QB that's fine, but that's a different conversation. When you get one you pay him, that's how it works in this league 9 times out of 10. If you don't, you risk being shit for 5 more years or longer hoping to strike gold again.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Goff Contract breaks down something like this:

2019 - 9M (Serious Bargain for the Rams)
2020 - 22m (Bargain for the Rams)
2021 - 33.5m (top 10 QB money)
2022 - 33.5m (top 10 QB money)
2023 - 33.5m (top 10 QB money)
2024 - 33.5m (top 10 QB money)

So for the next 2 years he's a bargain.

Then for 2020-2024 He's top 10 QB money but not top 5 money.

There will be many (7-10) QB's making over 35+ a year during those years.

But Goff gets 110m guaranteed....and claim to highest guarantees money.

Or over 6 year 161m it equals less than 27m a year.

Excellent deal any way you look at it.
Details haven't been released yet but that's the average.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Congrats to Jared and well deserved. Let's go get that Super Bowl!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Joe Pendleton errrrrrr Tom Jarrett approved
GO RAMS!!!

6B420BAE-FA4B-4E54-9DB4-AB0344FBAA3A.jpeg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The alternative is to draft and develop one every four years.

Now instead we will most likely need to draft and develop a WR and several OL every four years.

I like Goff but he has a ways to go to earn this contract - it's a gamble, and one that I hope pays off. His supporting cast will get worse, so let's not use that as an excuse if he's underperforming - it's the decision made by re-signing him.

By the time Goff's new CAP hit actually becomes effective in 2021, total team CAP will have risen another $20+mil due to the annual raise from increased league revenue. In other words, the Rams will have more spendable CAP funds available in 2021 than they will in 2020 when Goff is working on his 5'th year option.
By 2021 we will have drafted at least 14 new players, and Demoff's CAP expertise will allow us to continue exploring free agency options where needed.
You are worrying over nothing.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This just pisses me off!

We could have done well with Bortles and got Clowney and maybe some other pro-bowl type player for this money.

So what if Goff was the QB that got us to the Super Bowl. So could have Bulger.

Total Sarcasm. Thrilled to say the least. :)

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Exactly, you don’t see Stan on tv every damn day talkin bout slices of pie or pah in Texan. Of course I’m not sure I’ve ever heard Stan speak anyway.

The key to the deal is not the yearly salary, it's that Stan is able and willing to put $110m in guaranteed money on the table.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Taylor Swift is worth 3+ Goff Guarantees. Not saying she won't call. Just that she doesn't need to.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Poppinfresh

Rookie
That's the cost (market) or no deal. The alternative is go find one.

Well, no. He was basically under team control for 3 more years (the 2 years remaining on his contract, and 1 year of franchise taggery). Maybe he develops into a QB that doesn't make such a high price tag look crippling to the team in that time. Or maybe he turns into Luck, has a bad hit, and never reaches his zenith. I guess the thing I'm apprehensive about with regards to these extensions being doled out is they're being handed out well in advance of actually needing to do them, which makes them a gamble. One only need look to Gurley last year for a great example of that. Hopefully he comes back as good as before, but maybe he's never the same, less than 1 season after getting his name on the dotted line.

Like I said, I like him, but he's not an elite quarterback yet - he makes too many boneheaded mistakes at crucial times. Right now, he's basically Stafford in a better system with a better coaching staff.

More importantly, look at the teams who have taken home the Lombardi the last 10 years. The one constant is the QB was never making so much that it crippled the team's ability to sign other players. Brady has been playing below market salary forever because his wife, in her prime, made more in a year than he made in a career. Manning was making half of what Goff will be making. Russell Wilson was on his rookie deal, and the Seachickens "dynasty" fell apart the moment he got paid and they had to sacrifice other positions. Flacco was making 4.5 and the Ravens never recovered from his deal. Eli a bit over 6 and the team fell apart when he got paid. Big Ben was under 10, etc. etc. etc.

Consider me cautious, just because we've got a left tackle playing year-to-year, Kupp is going to demand big money in the near future, we've royally sucked at finding linebackers in the draft, so at some point we'll have to poach one, etc. The teams that allocate 17% of their cap to 1 player just haven't shown results.