Goff a 4 yr, $134 million ext. includes record $110 mil. guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Brady has been playing below market salary forever because his wife, in her prime, made more in a year than he made in a career.

Well, actually, I think that's a lovely canard. Sure, she makes a ton of money (though never more in a year than he's made his whole career) but don't tell me Brady doesn't want his own... and he gets it. The dirtiest secret of the NFL is that he's paid by the Patriots through TB12 a company co-owned by Brady. This is the company that Brady and Guerrero own together who have the Patriots as a client. Oh Brady gets top tier QB money all right. Just not through the salary cap.

See here:

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Well, actually, I think that's a lovely canard. Sure, she makes a ton of money but don't tell me Brady doesn't want his own... and he gets it. The dirtiest secret of the NFL is that he's paid by the Patriots through TB12 a company co-owned by Brady. This is the company that Brady and Guerrero own together who have the Patriots as a client. Oh Brady gets top tier QB money all right. Just not through the salary cap.

See here:

How much does the Company make?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Fucking outstanding. Great value for the Rams, Goff gets paid, the offense is going to be together for a while, they're going to continue to grow together. Can't wait to see what happens, future is real bright!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Goff but he has a ways to go to earn this contract - it's a gamble, and one that I hope pays off. His supporting cast will get worse, so let's not use that as an excuse if he's underperforming - it's the decision made by re-signing him.

That's a minimum of two years away.

And where do they find this mythical qb they can coach up to play at goff's level? The only reason they could trade up to get Goff was because he and wentz weren't can't miss prospects. It was universally stated that Winston and mariota were far superior to these two. How hard will it be to trade up from a spot in the 30s?

I know Goff makes all the throws look easy but they are anything but easy. What he does is not easy to replace.

Turducken

Starter
In two years when it kicks in $33.5 million per year will likely seem a bargain, the way QB salaries have been rising. And now the Rams have him through his age 30 season.
The NFL will likely be under a new CBA when this kicks in. The salary cap math could change a lot (assuming the NFL remains the most successful league on the planet).

tempests

Hall of Fame
Well, no. He was basically under team control for 3 more years (the 2 years remaining on his contract, and 1 year of franchise taggery). Maybe he develops into a QB that doesn't make such a high price tag look crippling to the team in that time. Or maybe he turns into Luck, has a bad hit, and never reaches his zenith. I guess the thing I'm apprehensive about with regards to these extensions being doled out is they're being handed out well in advance of actually needing to do them, which makes them a gamble. One only need look to Gurley last year for a great example of that. Hopefully he comes back as good as before, but maybe he's never the same, less than 1 season after getting his name on the dotted line.

Like I said, I like him, but he's not an elite quarterback yet - he makes too many boneheaded mistakes at crucial times. Right now, he's basically Stafford in a better system with a better coaching staff.

The longer the Rams waited with Goff the more his price was going to rise and the more troublesome an extension was going to be. Washington went to franchise tag ground with Kirk Cousins and we saw what happened there. They went from having a top 10 passing game to bottom five last year. Now they're starting over with Haskins and who knows if he'll pan out.

More importantly, look at the teams who have taken home the Lombardi the last 10 years. The one constant is the QB was never making so much that it crippled the team's ability to sign other players. Brady has been playing below market salary forever because his wife, in her prime, made more in a year than he made in a career. Manning was making half of what Goff will be making. Russell Wilson was on his rookie deal, and the Seachickens "dynasty" fell apart the moment he got paid and they had to sacrifice other positions. Flacco was making 4.5 and the Ravens never recovered from his deal. Eli a bit over 6 and the team fell apart when he got paid. Big Ben was under 10, etc. etc. etc.

Consider me cautious, just because we've got a left tackle playing year-to-year, Kupp is going to demand big money in the near future, we've royally sucked at finding linebackers in the draft, so at some point we'll have to poach one, etc. The teams that allocate 17% of their cap to 1 player just haven't shown results.

It's not that those teams couldn't afford to sign players anymore. Ed Reed and Ray Lewis got old. Ram Chancellor and Cliff Avril suffered career ending injuries. Troy Polamalu and James Harrison couldn't play forever.

We're going to have to replace players here too. Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, Johnny Hekker, those guys won't always be around. It's incumbent upon the Rams to keep drafting well and find FA bargains like they did with Woods and Whitworth. At least at QB the Rams have the kind of stability that they haven't enjoyed arguably at any other point in their history.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
FUCK YEAH! Now let's get that Super Bowl!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, no. He was basically under team control for 3 more years (the 2 years remaining on his contract, and 1 year of franchise taggery). Maybe he develops into a QB that doesn't make such a high price tag look crippling to the team in that time. Or maybe he turns into Luck, has a bad hit, and never reaches his zenith. I guess the thing I'm apprehensive about with regards to these extensions being doled out is they're being handed out well in advance of actually needing to do them, which makes them a gamble. One only need look to Gurley last year for a great example of that. Hopefully he comes back as good as before, but maybe he's never the same, less than 1 season after getting his name on the dotted line.

Like I said, I like him, but he's not an elite quarterback yet - he makes too many boneheaded mistakes at crucial times. Right now, he's basically Stafford in a better system with a better coaching staff.

More importantly, look at the teams who have taken home the Lombardi the last 10 years. The one constant is the QB was never making so much that it crippled the team's ability to sign other players. Brady has been playing below market salary forever because his wife, in her prime, made more in a year than he made in a career. Manning was making half of what Goff will be making. Russell Wilson was on his rookie deal, and the Seachickens "dynasty" fell apart the moment he got paid and they had to sacrifice other positions. Flacco was making 4.5 and the Ravens never recovered from his deal. Eli a bit over 6 and the team fell apart when he got paid. Big Ben was under 10, etc. etc. etc.

Consider me cautious, just because we've got a left tackle playing year-to-year, Kupp is going to demand big money in the near future, we've royally sucked at finding linebackers in the draft, so at some point we'll have to poach one, etc. The teams that allocate 17% of their cap to 1 player just haven't shown results.

The Seahawks and Giants had made a number of bad personnel decision poor drafts etc...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I woke up very early for me, because partly I was excited to hear GMFB's coverage of Goff's new contract, but all I'm hearing about is Zeke Elliot...Bruh...

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I’m not worried about Goff regressing, but the trepidation with injury is certainly understood after the Bradford years. Long or short term though, Goff is the answer at quarterback for the Rams, and of all the recent contracts, this is the one you have to take a chance on.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not worried about Goff regressing, but the trepidation with injury is certainly understood after the Bradford years. Long or short term though, Goff is the answer at quarterback for the Rams, and of all the recent contracts, this is the one you have to take a chance on.
No worries bro...Bradford was protected by 5 Demby-like players of various ages. Jared has improved also, every year he has been with a team, whether it be the Cal Bears or the Los Angeles Rams.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
His supporting cast will get worse, so let's not use that as an excuse if he's underperforming - it's the decision made by re-signing him.

The decision made to resign him was the Rams FO's to make. It's their job to give him the pieces necessary to play well so let's not use that as an excuse to blame Jared if the talent around him isn't good enough a few years from now.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The decision made to resign him was the Rams FO's to make. It's their job to give him the pieces necessary to play well so let's not use that as an excuse to blame Jared if the talent around him isn't good enough a few years from now.
Besides, the beauty of this extension is that Goff plays for rookie money for two more years. I don't call it a window, but it certainly doesn't hurt in having the option to sign great older player for a one year deal in the new stadium....

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The last thing I’m worried about is his supporting cast. This team has been a WR goldmine the past two years. What exactly is going to change once Goff is 28? He will be with Cooks(25) for a long time. Woods and Kupp will be 30. Essentially this group could play together for another 7 years. I’m sure we will draft guys by then too. As for the Oline, it only took one season to fix it. And money wasn’t really involved.

We’re in good hands people. Maybe the best any team has ever been in.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's the success % on that? Low. Very low. Where has that method worked?
I understand this universal idea that having a very good QB on a rookie deal is Disneyworld vs having a very good QB getting paid...but it's not easy to get one no matter how well you draft or how often you draft one.

As to your 2nd point about WR's & OL, assembling a WR core and quality linemen is easier than manufacturing a franchise QB.

If you're not sold that Goff is a franchise QB that's fine, but that's a different conversation. When you get one you pay him, that's how it works in this league 9 times out of 10. If you don't, you risk being crap for 5 more years or longer hoping to strike gold again.

Nobody has had the good fortune to be in this situation and try it. With our supporting cast and offensive coaching, I think we could have been the first team to do it successfully.

Where I disagree with you is the comment of "that's how it works in this league 9 times out of 10" - the worst reason to do something is because "everyone does it" - and this isn't an indictment of Goff - I would only sign Brady, Brees and Rodgers to "QB money". I think everyone else is severely overpaid - and in reality, even Rodgers having been paid has seen his supporting cast slowly dwindle and the team get worse and worse.

I disagree to that it would be easier to replace several players versus replacing one - yes, finding a QB is hard - but the main reason it's hard is because teams that need to find a QB are often bad. We're an elite team around a QB, which would have made finding a "franchise QB" very easy IMO.

I get that the cap will go up and that Goff will only be the 9th highest paid QB in a few years but he will still be taking up 10-15% of the cap - I hope I'm wrong and I'll be rooting for Goff to prove me wrong.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I hope the Chowboys resign Dak. He's a mediocre QB at best. It would be a real good way to get the least out of Zeke.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

From this above USA SPORTS TODAY article its sure appears that Henry McKenna does not think much of the LA Ram organization or Jared Goff's abilities now or in the future.:(

View: https://www.foxsports.com/watch/first-things-first/video/1597670979759

Last edited: