Goff a 4 yr, $134 million ext. includes record $110 mil. guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams front office is finally in lock step with the coaches and the whole thing is running like a well oiled machine.

Can it all fall apart? Of course. The Gurley thing is disconcerting.

But it's so refreshing to see all the oars pulling in the same direction for a change.

Without that, nothing happens.

Good for Goff... good for Gurley... good for Cook... and others will have their days. Cohesiveness.

Got to feel good about all these steps.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Is Skip on crack? He says that Dak is better than Goff and head-to-head, outplayed him *dramatically* both times they've met. Ok, so why is Dak 0-2 against Goff? Goff was able to lead the Rams back from a deficit to victory in Dallas ... Dak was unable to do so in LA.

This is the kind of stuff that causes a guy to lose credibility. He just can't see past his biases. And yes, I know my bias is towards Goff, but let's be real here - who would most GM's take if they had to pick one of the two?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, well... in years past, I might side some with this... but this management team has shown me enough to believe they know what they're doing... that there is enough internal knowledge and confidence that this makes sense.

So, stuff it, Big Lead! :ROFLMAO:

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Is Skip on crack? He says that Dak is better than Goff and head-to-head, outplayed him *dramatically* both times they've met. Ok, so why is Dak 0-2 against Goff? Goff was able to lead the Rams back from a deficit to victory in Dallas ... Dak was unable to do so in LA.

This is the kind of stuff that causes a guy to lose credibility. He just can't see past his biases. And yes, I know my bias is towards Goff, but let's be real here - who would most GM's take if they had to pick one of the two?

That is the dumbest "stat" to use. Goff would have been going Dallas D and Dak the Rams. So it cannot be used as a comparison. Besides, in last year playoff game Rams sold out to stop Zeke. Which they massiely did.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Can't watch it (Work) but is that Skip Useless? Of course it makes no sense. He hasn't made any sense, nor been right in decades.

The only thing he's good at is click bait... oh, wait :confused:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Wait a minute here...

In order to LOSE CREDIBILITY... one 1st has to have some credibility. Soooo... this clown has no chance of losing that.

He'll always be nothing more than a clown.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
In order to LOSE CREDIBILITY... one 1st has to have some credibility. Soooo... this clown has no chance of losing that.

Well, you do have a point there without a doubt.

Can credibility go into negative territory? :ROFLMAO:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

This comment is particularly myopic:
"Particularly, he has a history choking in the playoffs/Super Bowl (where it matters the very most). If he continues down that path then they will have learned the hard way that they made a huge mistake. "

What part of the 2018 playoffs did he not watch?? Maybe he didn't even watch his OWN TEAM -- ya know, the fancy "top 10 QB" of his that LOST to the COWBOYS in the wild card round -- the very Cowboys that OUR TOP 10 QB BEAT???? and then went on to beat the Saints & Drew Brees IN DEY OWN HOUSE????

Ok, so backing up a bit... ya Goff lost in 2017 to the Falcons in his first playoff game. So.... someone with "a history of choking in the playoffs" would just rinse & repeat, like the Carson Palmer comparison someone else myopically made in the same thread, correct? I don't think Carson won a single playoff game, correct? These 12's can't see the accelerating trend upwards with Goff?? like, somehow he's this mediocre, semi-talented incompetent goob who's not getting any better, who has to be spoon fed plays into his helmet? In case they missed it, Jared Goff beat every other NFC QB on his way to the Superbowl in his 3rd season, including the ones who didn't even make it to the playoffs. Which means: Goff >> Rogers Wilson Wentz Prescott Brees and every other NFC QB, or, at the very least, belongs in the same discussion & deserves every cent of his extension.

Honestly, as much as the national media bags on the Rams (Goff is a bust, Gurley is hurt, etc.) I can't blame them for being a bit myopic, as that's all they hear every single day. Can't wait for the 2019 Rams to shut everyone up.

/rant

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Goff signed a market rate deal, and I'm fine with it. Literally the six years would only take him through his age 29 season (people forget how young he is).

I expect him to get even better, and his bar is set high. Free agency isn't really an option, QBs go for 20-30 million, and none of them will be as young as Goff. Plus you have to battle the market.

The draft and develop every 4 years is nonsense. Rams have won 24 games the last two seasons and won a conference title. Some random is going to be plucked out of the draft and meet those levels. Plus you have to either be a bad team or trade a bunch of picks to move if you're looking at a top 10 pick.

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
I know the media pundits tend to overlook Goff because they saw his turnaround with McVay and thus credit the new coach with all of his success. What has really impressed me about Goff is that he has played so well at a young age while practically living in the pocket. I feel like a lot QBs who play well early on have the ability to extend plays with their legs. Throwing against NFL defenses is incredibly difficult, so I imagine allowing yourself more time to complete passes while also threatening defenses to run for first downs must help out a lot while adjusting to the NFL. The downside to this as we have seen over and over again is the greater risk of injury that comes with playing like this. Goff's skill set and style of play give him a great opportunity to play at a high level for a very long time.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The last thing I’m worried about is his supporting cast. This team has been a WR goldmine the past two years. What exactly is going to change once Goff is 28? He will be with Cooks(25) for a long time. Woods and Kupp will be 30. Essentially this group could play together for another 7 years. I’m sure we will draft guys by then too. As for the Oline, it only took one season to fix it. And money wasn’t really involved.

We’re in good hands people. Maybe the best any team has ever been in.
I agree completely. I think it's a brilliant deal and I am stoked.
I don't like the idea of using Goffs contract against him if the Rams talent around him should ever decline. It's just lazy imo.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm glad for Goff, he's earned it. His extension falls exactly where I thought it would in terms of yearly compensation. I knew the Rams had to keep it basically in the $33M/yr avg range and that it was the guaranteed money that would make the difference for Goff. Guaranteed money is less impactful simply because Goff is their franchise QB for years to come.

I figured it would be next year because as I've posted they would have plenty of cap room in 2020 if they kept Jared around where he's at. To say it won't impact the roster however, can't be said. It pretty much says that the projected roster losses next year will happen. Marginal value players like Roby-Coleman and Hill will be gone. It's also going to ensure, Talib can't be re-signed and Mathews will have to ball out to stay on the team but will be gone for sure in 2021. Whitworth will have to take a huge discount to stay but more likely that Noteboom will be the LT next year.

The structure of Goff's contract this year is what I'm waiting to see. Someone, more likely more than one player will have to restructure or someone is going to be cut to clear room this year, which is why everyone expected it next year. I understand why they felt they had to do it now, but as the saying goes, the devil is in the details of how it's going to be done.

This just highlights what I've been saying about contracts. It's not the overall that is important to the player, it's the guaranteed money because that is where the job security comes from. So Congrats to Jared, he's earned it. It will be interesting how they have structured it to fit this year.

They haven't announced the structure so IMO they are working on restructures. Likely scenarios would be targeting AD and Cook's signing bonus money or working out a one year home discount extension for Whitworth. What is significant is the huge amount of guaranteed money in Goff's contract. I would expect something like $25M for him this year then $36.3 M over the next 3 years. He was due just under $9M so that would mean they would need to clear $16M from somewhere this year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Foolio earns his moniker again.
There was some chatter that the Rams would simply allow Goff to play out his contract and walk in free agency after the 2020 campaign,
Again with the Foolio crap. These guys act as if it was a widely held notion.
I think also that Goff (and his agent) realize that if and when he wins a Super Bowl he will be raking in millions of dollars a year in endorsements in the LA area as well as nationally. Squeezing every last dollar would hurt the team AND his own bottom line. He has the very real opportunity to be making a ginormous amount of money through ads - but that will be greatly helped by the Rams winning a title or three.
This is a great point. How much money can he make as a Superbowl winning QB in LA? I have to imagine it would far exceed the few million more he likely could have gotten while making it more difficult for the franchise to give him the pieces he needs to excel.
Joe Pendleton errrrrrr Tom Jarrett approved
GO RAMS!!!

View attachment 29993
Loved that movie. Didn't hurt that I had a thing for Julie Christie back then too.
The Goff extension is just trade bait for the QB McVay has wanted all along (Kirk Cousins)
Foolio is that you?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm glad for Goff, he's earned it. His extension falls exactly where I thought it would in terms of yearly compensation. I knew the Rams had to keep it basically in the $33M/yr avg range and that it was the guaranteed money that would make the difference for Goff. Guaranteed money is less impactful simply because Goff is their franchise QB for years to come.

I figured it would be next year because as I've posted they would have plenty of cap room in 2020 if they kept Jared around where he's at. To say it won't impact the roster however, can't be said. It pretty much says that the projected roster losses next year will happen. Marginal value players like Roby-Coleman and Hill will be gone. It's also going to ensure, Talib can't be re-signed and Mathews will have to ball out to stay on the team but will be gone for sure in 2021. Whitworth will have to take a huge discount to stay but more likely that Noteboom will be the LT next year.

The structure of Goff's contract this year is what I'm waiting to see. Someone, more likely more than one player will have to restructure or someone is going to be cut to clear room this year, which is why everyone expected it next year. I understand why they felt they had to do it now, but as the saying goes, the devil is in the details of how it's going to be done.

This just highlights what I've been saying about contracts. It's not the overall that is important to the player, it's the guaranteed money because that is where the job security comes from. So Congrats to Jared, he's earned it. It will be interesting how they have structured it to fit this year.

They haven't announced the structure so IMO they are working on restructures. Likely scenarios would be targeting AD and Cook's signing bonus money or working out a one year home discount extension for Whitworth. What is significant is the huge amount of guaranteed money in Goff's contract. I would expect something like $25M for him this year then $36.3 M over the next 3 years. He was due just under $9M so that would mean they would need to clear $16M from somewhere this year.
EXTENSION. As in, take his current contract and add 4 years at a higher rate. No additional money needs to be cleared this year or next. If you know something different than all the reports, please provide the link.

Ram65

Legend
Well, no. He was basically under team control for 3 more years (the 2 years remaining on his contract, and 1 year of franchise taggery). Maybe he develops into a QB that doesn't make such a high price tag look crippling to the team in that time. Or maybe he turns into Luck, has a bad hit, and never reaches his zenith. I guess the thing I'm apprehensive about with regards to these extensions being doled out is they're being handed out well in advance of actually needing to do them, which makes them a gamble.

It's always a gamble to pay any football player a lot of guaranteed money. I highly doubt the Rams and Goff take any significant steps backward. Knock on wood Goff has been healthy. Sometimes teams have to step up and redo contracts before the contract ends. It saves money/cap space in the long term. It keeps the team in a positive mode. Rams did it with Havenstein last year. Franchising the QB, who is the leader of the offense, sends the wrong message to the team.

One only need look to Gurley last year for a great example of that. Hopefully, he comes back as good as before, but maybe he's never the same, less than 1 season after getting his name on the dotted line.

Unlike the Gurley extension, the Goff extension is right in line with the market valuation. Running Backs have a much shorter lifespan and a much higher risk of injury. Hard to compare the two positions as far as injury. A little different situation but, I was surprised the Rams extended Gurely's contract with two years remaining. I was more surprised by the amount they gave him.
As I said, I like him, but he's not an elite quarterback yet - he makes too many boneheaded mistakes at crucial times. Right now, he's basically Stafford in a better system with better coaching staff.

That's interesting. I wonder what Stafford would do in the Rams offense.

How many "Elite" quaterbacks are there? My answer is not many. Quarterbacks get paid big money in the NFL. There is no way around it. Rams paid market value for Goff. Playing contract games and gambling on finding a top 10-12 quarterback simply doesn't make sense. Goff can still become a top 5 Quarterback and Rams can still get a solid supporting cast around him. Goff's new extension won't break the cap.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We can thank Wentz, the Eagles and the agent (who is the same agent that Goff has) for this contract. Had we waited it could have turned into a Russel Wilson type situation.

I guess expecting Goff to take a team-friendly, Brady type contract was too much to ask for.

Still not sure how we're paying both AD and Goff top $$$. Might have to break out a spreadsheet...

Limey

Rookie
There’s a great article by Vinny in the Athletic about Goff. Points out that part of why McVay picked the Rams was Goff being a QB he rated and knew he could work with, and McVay being supportive of the extension for Goff shows how much he values him. If the media narrative of Goff being JAG in McVay’s system was correct, the Rams would have acquired another cheap one when Goff’s rookie deal was over and spent the extra money on other positions.

It’s behind a paywall but is here if you can read it (they do a few free articles per month, I think)