Get Cleveland on the phone

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
I respect Donald for the generational talent that he is and how he is a one man wrecking crew that you can build a defense around.

That being said, I'm not sentimental and neither is this front office, apparently. If we were to get amazing trade value and free up cap space for our myriad of other talents, I would be for it.

But this is not the draft to do it. Frankly this draft is just not that talented at the top. If it was 2014 (and this is not revisionist history, I remember thinking how great that draft was at the time), then I would be all over it. But this draft is closer to 2013 or 2015 imo and there just isn't enough talent available to justify trading away a future HOF player.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blowback on this thread is a hurricane...!

It's kinda worse....

subTYY9.jpg

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Blowback on this thread is a hurricane...!

Another way of framing the OP’s idea is to ask, is AD truly untradeable?

OP suggests pick #4, 33, and 35. Draft value chart gives that a total of 1,800 + 580 + 550 = 2930 points.

So, another hypothetical question. Would anyone even consider taking the #1 overall from CLE in addition? If (hypothetically) CLE offered for AD the #1 plus #4 plus #33 plus #35, that would have a value of 3,000 + 1,800 + 580 + 550= 5930 points. (And yes, I realize this trade would never happen because the Browns need to keep either #1 or #4 to get their franchise QB).

Keep in mind how desperate many teams are to get the next franchise QB, and how Trader Snead could parlay those picks. Dominance for a decade?

While also keeping in mind that AD is entering the fifth and final year of his rookie contract, and after 2018 he’ll never be underpaid again?

My point is: is there ANY trade scenario for AD that wouldn’t elicit a dog-barfing-spaghetti-gif?

Ultimately, I think trading AD wouldn’t happen because it would be a public relations disaster for the Rams. But knowing Snead, I do think there is a hypothetical trade out there that he would actually consider the “unthinkable” and trade AD. But the compensation would have to be astronomical.
All of their first round picks every year that Donald plays in the league, even if it isn't for them. Conditional second round picks in those years if the team he plays for makes the playoffs. Conditional third round picks in those years if he makes the pro bowl. Conditional fourth round picks in those years if he wins DPOY.

That's my minimum.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In case anyone needs this...

sXm17iq.png

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
AD is so good that if the Rams don't get him signed and try to franchise tag him in 2019, don't be surprised if a team gives up 2 1s and signs him anyway. The Rams need to get AD signed this offseason. If they don't I'll consider this offseason a failure. He's way more important to this D than any players they have traded for in the last few weeks. I feel fairly confident they will get it done. But if not it will be a black eye for the Rams, and a bad sign that they can't retain the best player in the NFL.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
but seriously, for the OP of all of 2 posts, Suh wont be with the Rams next year. and even if, just for conversation, AD was traded, then Suh would have any advantage on a contract with the Rams since AD isnt here. Suh will want 20+ per year, especially if he has a good season next to AD this year. he's 31 as well. AD is 27 this may. 4 extra years of a superior player in my opinion. draft picks dont always pan out. see how a certain #8 overall pick has done for the Rams. how'd that draft go with #1 overall sammy over Suh years ago work out? seeing how #2 is now here and #1 is not, that shows you what a crap shoot drafting is. however, AD has proven stats in the NFL. a similiar argument is ongoing with Brandin Cooks and the Rams #23 this year. now, say Suh was the tradeable asset and not AD, then maybe you're on to something.
I actually almost believe that gregg williams did start this thread btw.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nobody should be untradeable - but it would have needed to be done before free agency, so the cap savings could have been spent, and the picks it would have taken would be ginormous at this point. The Rams have clearly set out to win it all this season - trading AD at this point wouldn't help that goal.

Maybe another time.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Why do people keep laughing at my post? It wasn't intended as a joke.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Aaron Donald may be the best player in the game but I don't believe the Rams should be paying QB money to a DT. Now that we have Suh, he can replace Donald. We all know that Goff will eventually get big $ and if we want to be able to afford to keep Peters, Cooks, Gurley and perhaps Joyner and Suh, I think we need to trade Aaron Donald. If I were Les Snead, I'd give Cleveland a call and offer them Donald for pics 4, 33 and 35. With the # 4 pick, they could get Wade his pass rusher, Bradley Chubb or if they wanted, they could probably turn around and trade the # 4 pick to Buffalo for pics 12 and 22. Cleveland has the money to pay Donald and Gregg Williams would be doing cartwheels to pair Myles Garrett with Aaron Donald.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpsyYWK9d8o

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD is so good that if the Rams don't get him signed and try to franchise tag him in 2019, don't be surprised if a team gives up 2 1s and signs him anyway. The Rams need to get AD signed this offseason. If they don't I'll consider this offseason a failure. He's way more important to this D than any players they have traded for in the last few weeks. I feel fairly confident they will get it done. But if not it will be a black eye for the Rams, and a bad sign that they can't retain the best player in the NFL.

Plus Ken, is there even a hint of physical weakness with AD? I'm not just talking about strength gained through weight training, because everyone does that...including Hekker..lol. He seems indestructible and long lasting as a HOF talent. He will be an iron man in game starts throughout his career, imo. Merlin Olsen had like a 15 year career with one helluva lot of consecutive career starts in that 15 years. He made the Pro Bowl almost every year and was an All Pro for many of them. He was just country strong. Donald seems even stronger than Merlin, and is even more unstoppable.

Yes, it will be an absolute failure if Aaron Donald isn't re-signed this season. I'd love an 8 year contract.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I consider both of them untradeable. I was just making the point about who (gun to my head) I'd rather deal. Goff might become Aaron Rogers-great someday or he might just always be what he was last season - a pretty good second tier qb (who we'll be obliged to extend for $30m/yr in a couple seasons). I think McVay could prepare any of the top 4 qb's in this draft to become franchise qb's. AD is in a class all his own.
AD has been a beast since we drafted him, did he help our win/loss record? No. Goff and our offense got us to our first winning record in over a decade. so why you would rather ship Goff off than AD considering Goff is better than any qb in this years draft....

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I guess I'll be the one. It's not a bad idea in concept, it's just too early.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

It's always too early for that idea...

We don't know what will happen, but in a worst case scenario. a player walks and you get...

57588021.jpg

Plus, Mark Cuban, just gross.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't know what will happen, but in a worst case scenario. a player walks and you get...

57588021.jpg

Plus, Mark Cuban, just gross.
We just need to sign 'em to a 10 year contract..problem solved...
6S9paxt.jpg

Turducken

Starter
AD has been a beast since we drafted him, did he help our win/loss record? No. Goff and our offense got us to our first winning record in over a decade. so why you would rather ship Goff off than AD considering Goff is better than any qb in this years draft....
I'm not a goff hater. Bought his jersey for my kid. But there seem to be 2-5 franchise qbs in every draft. A defender like AD is a lot more rare.

Goff might be great. Donald is great.

It's more likely than not that at least one of the qb's in this draft will make more career pro bowls than Goff. I doubt there is anyone in the draft who will make more career pro bowls than AD.

Goff was a big reason we won 11 games last year, but mostly because he played like a $20m qb for half that price. After 2020 he'll want to be a $30m/yr qb. If you are squeamish about paying AD his market value, just wait until Goff wants 15% of our salary cap.