GDT: Chiefs at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
C'Mon, not again ...
We got to break this curse.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
My lord man, do you always argue just to argue? This wasn't even a discussion about what I'm ROOTING for. It was about a statement that Jrry made about us having a top 10 defense in which he picked ONE very specific category to make his statement seem true. Sure, if it was based on only points allowed then it's true. But rankings are not nor ever will be about one stat. OVERALL defense we are not in the top 10. That is a FACT. Do I like that? Of course not and yeah I prefer how many points we give up to any other. But that is not what the response was about.

Dude, just stop. Ask any DC which they would rather have, top 10 in points or top 10 in yardage. I promise you I know what the answer will be.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
And Jrry said we're top 10 in points allowed and you argued that we're not a top 10. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing. Unless you're denying that we were top 10 in points allowed?

I never said that. Read...I'm done.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Dude, just stop. Ask any DC which they would rather have, top 10 in points or top 10 in yardage. I promise you I know what the answer will be.

You guys keep spinning it ...OK. I'm done. Not what I said at all or argued about.
Cary on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. He just doesn't have a laser. I'm not sure with this receiving corps a laser is the best thing to have. A quick release makes up for it.

It's not about having a laser. It's about him being able to throw the ball consistently. He's never done that. Didn't do it last year. Didn't do it before that. Isn't doing it now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boras, let Goff throw to the intermediate and deep parts of the field.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll see. The last couple weeks have been rough. Keenum reminds me of Joe Theissman and Goff reminds me of Jay Shroeder. I like Keenum's footwork and he gets the ball out fast. A heady QB. The lack of respect for that man's game on this board is absolutely absurd. His development has been nice. Fisher just doesn't like that guy for his personality. Hopefully Goff comes around but this is a good team with Keenum in there too.
Wait, what? Schroeder only started 1 college game and played like a champ as a rookie. If he could do that surely an experienced starter like Goff should play well too right?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Guys - total defense is measured in yards allowed. Maybe it shouldn't be - but that's the name of the statistic. Let's move on to the game now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait, what? Schroeder only started 1 college game and played like a champ as a rookie. If he could do that surely an experienced starter like Goff should play well too right?
LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one to laugh at the Jay Schroeder name pull there.

Kentuckyrams

Pro Bowler
Beyond time for Goff to hopefully grow into something special or at least solid, what else do you see as our biggest needs, those elements that separate us from the Cardinals, Seahawks? I think wr, lb, db, and s. Wr could be better this year, if - magic word - some of the new guys pan out and our OC uses them better than previous years. DB could be OK if Gaines is back and maybe someone like Hill turns out to be a player. Not sure that LB and S are going to be any better than what we see now.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Manning got 90% of the reps in camp and practice. They completely committed to him starting and being successful.
It is not the same situation for Goff

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And the DB was all over his arms when or before the ball got there?​
You're probably right my bad, I don't expect a WR to catch a ball that hits him in the hands. It's the QB's fault.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
A factual statement is that we didn't rank in the top 10 in yards per game allowed. It is your opinion that is the most important stat. My opinion is that points are the most important stat. That is how I judge defenses. And in that stat, the Rams were top 10 each of the past two years. And that stat, ultimately, is what leads to wins or losses.

What yards per game doesn't account for is defensive game-plan. Points per game accounts for that. Because it is literally the goal of the defense not to allow the opposition to score. The Rams are fine with giving up yardage if they keep teams out of the end-zone. The Rams defensive game-plan is to trade yardage for negative plays. And the strategy works. Why does it work? Because we keep teams off the scoreboard. That's what counts.

Jrry- You are a very knowledgeable guy and this thread has become silly about this conversation. Last thing I'll say and we should just drop it. My argument was never about are we top 10 in points allowed. You said our D was top 10. It only is in that category. Overall we are not. Do you disagree with that statement?
I agree that points allowed are what matter. No argument on that. If they get 400 yards and 17 points we should win.
But my response was valid. total defense we are not top 10. It doesn't matter what any coordinator would prefer or not.
I'm just talking data only.

As for the season I hope to god we are a top 5 scoring defense. If we are we should have a pretty good chance of the playoffs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice play action and pass. Too bad somebody ruined it for him. Oh nice it was on the D.