GDT: Chiefs at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BeachRam78

Rookie
Name
john
Looked to me like it might be his right leg. I feel bad for him. Hopefully it's nothing too bad

Ellard80

Legend
Again... can't tell a lot from pre-season.

One thing I do know going back to mid season last year....

Our defense without Robert Quinn is... just not close to the same as with him.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
So yes, I'll ignore how "they" actually grade a defense. Because I'll take my defense that doesn't give up points over your defense that doesn't give up yardage.
if you go on any site (ESPN, NFL network-anyone) that's not how they rank it.
This may be an interesting topic outside of a game day thread -- points allowed is obviously the best way to rank a defense despite how the media does it. But a bigger issue is offense has usually proven more successful at winning than defense, and the best way for a defense to help an offense is yards (or perhaps turnovers).

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Goff is a terrible decision maker so far. Throwing to receivers that are blanketed by double coverage.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
That's great you keep on rooting for fewer yards I'll root for fewer points. After all we win if we out score the other team not out gain them in yards. It's all good to like giving up fewer yards, it's just not realistic to win that way.

My lord man, do you always argue just to argue? This wasn't even a discussion about what I'm ROOTING for. It was about a statement that Jrry made about us having a top 10 defense in which he picked ONE very specific category to make his statement seem true. Sure, if it was based on only points allowed then it's true. But rankings are not nor ever will be about one stat. OVERALL defense we are not in the top 10. That is a FACT. Do I like that? Of course not and yeah I prefer how many points we give up to any other. But that is not what the response was about.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't argue that your stat is very important and I like it. But what I'm saying to you is rankings at the end of the year, (or any point of the year) in terms of overall ranking are based on TOTAL defense. This is a fact. It just is. And we are not ranked in the top 10 in total defense. You can disagree and that's fine, but it's a factual statement, like it or not.

A factual statement is that we didn't rank in the top 10 in yards per game allowed. It is your opinion that is the most important stat. My opinion is that points are the most important stat. That is how I judge defenses. And in that stat, the Rams were top 10 each of the past two years. And that stat, ultimately, is what leads to wins or losses.

What yards per game doesn't account for is defensive game-plan. Points per game accounts for that. Because it is literally the goal of the defense not to allow the opposition to score. The Rams are fine with giving up yardage if they keep teams out of the end-zone. The Rams defensive game-plan is to trade yardage for negative plays. And the strategy works. Why does it work? Because we keep teams off the scoreboard. That's what counts.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Are they? The first play is a drop by Quick, second play he trips over his O-Lineman.... Where are the glaring issues there? That's not a fundamental flaw, that's bad receiver play and bad luck.

Looked like a defended pass to me rather than a drop.​

Name
Joe
I see a guy who doesn't throw the ball particularly well. He manages the game well and doesn't make a lot of bad decisions. But he's not a good thrower.

I disagree. He just doesn't have a laser. I'm not sure with this receiving corps a laser is the best thing to have. A quick release makes up for it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can have whatever opinion you like but if you go on any site (ESPN, NFL network-anyone) that's not how they rank it.

So it's all good, just not reality.
Would you rather have the defense that has a better ranking or gives up less points?
How is this a debate?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Troy Hill has to make this team just based on his tackling. FUCK WESTBROOKS IS DOWN.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My lord man, do you always argue just to argue? This wasn't even a discussion about what I'm ROOTING for. It was about a statement that Jrry made about us having a top 10 defense in which he picked ONE very specific category to make his statement seem true. Sure, if it was based on only points allowed then it's true. But rankings are not nor ever will be about one stat. OVERALL defense we are not in the top 10. That is a FACT. Do I like that? Of course not and yeah I prefer how many points we give up to any other. But that is not what the response was about.
And Jrry said we're top 10 in points allowed and you argued that we're not a top 10. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing. Unless you're denying that we were top 10 in points allowed?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Oh look, it's Kevin. If his mouth is open, he's probably lying.