Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here are some thoughts on some of the free agents and open positions:
FREE AGENTS:
CJ- sign
Joyner- walk
Suh- walk
Fowler- sign
Littleton- sign
Saffold- walk (?)
Shields- sign
Brown- sign
POSITIONS:
Center- Allen or Blythe or draft(maybe trade down into 2nd where the top 2 will probably go)
Safety- FA and or draft
ILB- FA
DT-FA
DRAFT:
Draft best available with emphasis on the following positions:
Oline depth
Dline depth
ILB
DB depth
IMPORTANT PERSPECTIVES:
Raw talent, coachability and potential of young guys on roster (eg: Obo and Kiser)
Game plan for QB (backup and Goff's 2nd contract)
Where we need some leadership (position groups)
Planning ahead for cornerbacks
Welcome aboard!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Assuming the Rams can keep Saffold and fowler would you guys be happy with this type of defense some youth some vets

(In order of my preference)

Add: Inside LB Denzel Perryman/Preston Brown
Outside LB Houston/Barrett/Ray
DT Shelton/Hankins (he would be real cheap and probably very good next to Donald)
Safety Weddle (excellent outspoken leader still very very good)

This would mean trading Brockers maybe for a pick Saving the additional 10.5 million
(And in a perfect world to open up some more money I'd at least try to see if I could take peters and a pick and trade for Jalen Ramsey)

D-line JF Myers- Shelton- Donald
LB Fowler-Littleton- Perryman- Houston
Safety JJ-Weddle
CB Peters(Ramsey)- Talib- NRC
(Wouldn't mind adding a Worley to this group if possible)

This isn't madden so hope nobody comes back with that these are moves that could be plausible realistic with a sprinkle of maybe pushing it like with Ramsey.
I think though Weddle,Hankins, and Houston could all be not to expensive (Hankins for sure Weddle same most pricey Houston but if he wants to win may take less if Hoston is ano then I go with one of the others same thing with Fowler)
These moves also leave us with depth and still our draft.

With 13.9 million saved today
And 10.5 million from Brockers trade
And the cap we already had these moves seem feasible to me.

Lastly I believe also Malik Jackson will be a cut as well so that might be another avenue but I think Hankins would be a steal rt now and by far the cheapest and I think would flourish in this defense.

Thoughts?????

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow. Find myself wondering if Rich is aware of this DL class. Of course nothing surprises me with the draft and FA with how crazy they get, but I don't think that's playing the relative strengths of each.
I'm leaning more to the thought of trading for or signing Houston after he's cut and drafting another edge while moving Samson to ILB.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm leaning more to the thought of trading for or signing Houston after he's cut and drafting another edge while moving Samson to ILB.

Problem with Houston is that after his big sack season he got paid and since that time he's been a good all around edge but not special on the rush. He'd be an upgrade but how much of one? So personally I hope he's not the guy we pursue. Add a special edge rusher to this defense and we might have an elite unit finally. Houston's not that dude IMO.

Re: Ebu being tried at ILB... The prob is his coverage abilities. But yes it's possible because I think he would fill on run plays very well. But we also have Obo on the depth chart and he's played some off ball in his college tape, although he comes with many of the same issues Ebu has in coverage I'm sure. Either way, both are good young LBs with some range and instincts that should improve year to year.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
If we overpay Fowler, that will tick me off . . .

Doesn’t he bring a comp pick back ?? Basically The Rams rented him for a season?

He upped his value this season. Rumor of Clay ?? Would he be a fit ??

Brockers is a team leader & fits the We not Me. The Rams kepted Barron & franchised Joyner. Makes sense to keep Brockers at a position of need. Draft his replacement.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
My crystal ball tells me we will grab an ILB in free agency and draft a NT since it's a deeper skill position in this draft.

The Rams may be hopeful to sign Fowler if the price is right. Suh's efforts during the regular season does not warrant a multi year deal. I believe he's looking for one at his age.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think last year’s draft class will be playing a huge role next year. Noteboom, Allen, JFM, and Obo could all be starters. If I had to bet, we’re looking at either safety or DL in round one and filling the non-drafted position in FA.

For example, ET in FA and Lawrence/Simmons, or a DL in FA and Adderley/Thompson in draft.